• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Trigger

Um.. I'm at
1/3
right now, did I miss my chance to max Marie's SL?

lol, how did you get ahead of me? I'm just at
12/08. Does the game let you socialize as normal if I one day Adachi's dungeon? I remember the original just skips to the ending if you beat the boss too soon.

Syrinx

Conquered Rise's dungeon.

I'm not really a fan of bait-and-switches like that. I realize that it moved the story forward, and it seems like it did the job of having Rise replace Teddy in the same way Fuuka replaced Mitsuru in P3. At the same time, I came to fight Rise's shadow, not Teddie's, so I feel a bit cheated.

Rise's shadow seems to have been what I thought. Deep down, Rise was tired of her idol persona (confusing but can't think of better word) replacing her true self in the eyes of people, and tired of the constant scripting of everything she said and did and wanted to just let it go all at once. Or something like that.

Teddie's shadow, meanwhile, seemed way darker. Turns out Teddie has had quite the existential crisis.

Drunk Dojima was pretty funny. Turns out he kinda does suspect me. If only you knew what I've done for you, guy.

Pictures huh?

20121124032837.jpg

20121124032846.jpg

20121124032851.jpg

20121124032914.jpg

Golbez

I'm not really a fan of bait-and-switches like that. I realize that it moved the story forward, and it seems like it did the job of having Rise replace Teddy in the same way Fuuka replaced Mitsuru in P3. At the same time, I came to fight Rise's shadow, not Teddie's, so I feel a bit cheated.
On the other hand, now you have someone who had an unbeatable Shadow supporting you! That's a pretty good feeling, right?

lol, how did you get ahead of me? I'm just at
12/08. Does the game let you socialize as normal if I one day Adachi's dungeon? I remember the original just skips to the ending if you beat the boss too soon.

Yeah it skips. I did several social links until 12/14 but then assumed that it would've been like the other times where you get to play until another event kicks off so I cleared it. Apparently, it's not the same. Damn.

Syrinx

On the other hand, now you have someone who had an unbeatable Shadow supporting you! That's a pretty good feeling, right?

It would be pretty sweet if she was fighting with me, but from what I understand, she'll be the new Fuuka. I wager her analyzing powers and such are way better than Teddie's, so that's pretty good, I guess. She'll probably be less annoying than Fuuka, too.

Trigger

It would be pretty sweet if she was fighting with me, but from what I understand, she'll be the new Fuuka. I wager her analyzing powers and such are way better than Teddie's, so that's pretty good, I guess. She'll probably be less annoying than Fuuka, too.

She's Fuuka on steroids.

Yeah it skips. I did several social links until 12/14 but then assumed that it would've been like the other times where you get to play until another event kicks off so I cleared it. Apparently, it's not the same. Damn.

Fuuuu

I guess I'll go and max Marie's and a few other social links.

Salaadin

Rise's shadow seems to have been what I thought. Deep down, Rise was tired of her idol persona (confusing but can't think of better word) replacing her true self in the eyes of people, and tired of the constant scripting of everything she said and did and wanted to just let it go all at once. Or something like that.

Teddie's shadow, meanwhile, seemed way darker. Turns out Teddie has had quite the existential crisis.

Drunk Dojima was pretty funny. Turns out he kinda does suspect me. If only you knew what I've done for you, guy.

I had the same reaction to drunk Dojima.

Im still iffy on that guy. He means well and he definitely cares but he comes off as so asshole-ish at times.

I took Nanako grocery shopping to buy him stuff for dinner one night and he completely flipped his shit, my courage wasnt high enough to tell him how it really was, and I just ended up feeling so bad about the whole thing. Maybe Im just a sucker for when Nanako starts to pout or maybe I need to spend more time with him but right now, I just dont want to.
He always butts in when me and Nanako go outside to the garden too. Its not your cabbage, you bastard!

I feel like theres more to him so I will be giving him a chance but Im spending my time elsewhere right now.

I died for the first time last night.

This is rough. That was only the first "boss"...I don't know if it's even a boss. It was only the second "real" battle of the game. Let's just call it a giant spider for lack of a better word. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I've never played a Persona game before and don't even play many JRPG's period. Does anyone have any tips so I don't have to suffer like this through the entire game? Any strategies for combat would be much appreciated.

I maxed her SL as soon as I could since she was my favorite and she became my Goddess in boss battles.

Golbez

I died for the first time last night.

This is rough. That was only the first "boss"...I don't know if it's even a boss. It was only the second "real" battle of the game. Let's just call it a giant spider for lack of a better word. What the hell am I doing wrong?

I've never played a Persona game before and don't even play many JRPG's period. Does anyone have any tips so I don't have to suffer like this through the entire game? Any strategies for combat would be much appreciated.
This guy?

5oWUXl.jpg

You have his elemental weakness (Zio) and he has yours. If you block before he uses a wind attack on you, he won't get the bonus turn (or do nearly as much damage).

Edit: Hahaha, that's an amazing King picture.

This guy?

5oWUXl.jpg

You have his elemental weakness (Zio) and he has yours. If you block before he uses a wind attack on you, he won't get the bonus turn (or do nearly as much damage).

That's the guy. So, should I just be using his elemental weakness on him or should I be attacking as well? Do all enemies have this kind of weakness? Is there any way to know or is it all trial and error?

Golbez

That's the guy. So, should I just be using his elemental weakness on him or should I be attacking as well? Do all enemies have this kind of weakness? Is there any way to know or is it all trial and error?
Every time you use an attack on an enemy, Teddie will record how well it works on them, even physical attacks. All you have to do to see who is weak to what after that is hit L. I often use Bash on this fight once Zio no longer works, but since that costs HP you may not want to risk it.

Syrinx

I had the same reaction to drunk Dojima.

Im still iffy on that guy. He means well and he definitely cares but he comes off as so asshole-ish at times.

I took Nanako grocery shopping to buy him stuff for dinner one night and he completely flipped his shit, my courage wasnt high enough to tell him how it really was, and I just ended up feeling so bad about the whole thing. Maybe Im just a sucker for when Nanako starts to pout or maybe I need to spend more time with him but right now, I just dont want to.
He always butts in when me and Nanako go outside to the garden too. Its not your cabbage, you bastard!

I feel like theres more to him so I will be giving him a chance but Im spending my time elsewhere right now.

I remember that, too. Was total bullshit.

Not entirely sure how I feel about his character yet. Maybe that's why I'm looking forward to seeing him develop further.

Salaadin

Hit the "L" button and a green target will appear. Select an enemy with this target and it will display their weaknesses and resistances by type.

Theyre all blank at first and the only way to learn what they are is by attacking the enemies with the various types until you see the yellow WEAK message and the enemy falls over or the red RESIST message. Youll see if enemies can repel certain types on this screen as well.
Once you learn the weakness, thats pretty much your goto attack type and you can plan around using it and knocking the enemies on the ground and going nuts on them.

When you knock an enemy over like that, you immediately get an extra turn as well as a prompt to do an all out attack where all the characters will run in and go crazy. This is good a lot of the time but it also uses up that extra turn you just got. Youll have to play it by ear and decide if you want that extra turn for something else or just do the all out attack.

Should also note that when an enemy is knocked over and you beat on them, you might also Dizzy them, causing them to miss a turn. This is another reason why you might want to skip the all out attack and just beat on the enemy.
I rarely ever Dizzy bosses though. Im not even sure I ever have.

Trigger

I think only one boss can be dizzied. Don't bother with that too much in a boss fight. They all function more as tests of one's stamina.

Salaadin

Regarding Marie:
I heard you have to have her maxed out to get the true ending, right? I dont have to be in a relationship with her or anything? Just max that S Link out?

Im in mid July to early August in my game. Do I still have time to do this? Shes at rank 4 or 5 right now but there was a period there where she wasnt coming outside at all.

Trigger

Regarding Marie:
I heard you have to have her maxed out to get the true ending, right? I dont have to be in a relationship with her or anything? Just max that S Link out?

Im in mid July to early August in my game. Do I still have time to do this? Shes at rank 4 or 5 right now but there was a period there where she wasnt coming outside at all.

You don't need her maxed for the true ending; just the new content. You don't need to be her lover either. It's doable.

Salaadin

You don't need her maxed for the true ending; just the new content. You don't need to be her lover either. It's doable.

Ahh, I see. Is there a non spoilerly checklist for the true ending? Should I just stop worrying about this and play the damn game?

Darkone

I did not play any Persona games that came out and really want to play this one but i wanted to know what i am getting into, so i got Persona 3 PSP version, looks great on the oled screen btw.

i need an advise on what difficult level to choose, i am 1 hour in on Hard and had only 1 battle (got hooked to the game :) ), but i don't want to regret it along the way.

For the record all games i am playing on Hard.

Trigger

I did not play any Persona games that came out and really want to play this one but i wanted to know what i am getting into, so i got Persona 3 PSP version, looks great on the oled screen btw.

i need an advise on what difficult level to choose, i am 1 hour in on Hard and had only 1 battle (got hooked to the game :) ), but i don't want to regret it along the way.

For the record all games i am playing on Hard.

Hard has a rough start, but by mid-game you'll be doing dungeons in one day. Once you understand the mechanics the game becomes a breeze. I don't lose fights because I don't know what to do but because I was sloppy and didn't do things properly.

Venfayth

Okay thanks. Thought I got stuck
by reading her poems in the Velvet room. She wasn't impressed

I got frustrated because I wanted to see her S.Link, so I did as much of her link as early as possible. Then I couldn't, and I kept seeing people hang out with her on Voice, but I guess they just didn't take things as quickly as I did.

Heh.

cjkeats

I got frustrated because I wanted to see her S.Link, so I did as much of her link as early as possible. Then I couldn't, and I kept seeing people hang out with her on Voice, but I guess they just didn't take things as quickly as I did.

Heh.

Haha that's why I asked. Voice is the most helpful and frustrating thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
See, to the point about the protag being a character, I feel the opposite even more so while playing. I feel like there's more times where I want to be a jerk on here and it won't let me. Like near the start with Marie when Dojima asks what's wrong, I want to be able to tell him 'this freaky hot topic girl is picking up my stuff and trying to talk to me'

Trigger

I wish the skill card in shuffle time would give me something useful. :|

I feel the opposite. I always get something I need, and with sweep bonuses I can exchange cash and exp for personae and stat bonuses. One of the reasons why Izanagi is more powerful than most of party's ultimate personae.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I feel the opposite. I always get something I need, and with sweep bonuses I can exchange cash and exp for personae and stat bonuses. One of the reasons why Izanagi is more powerful than most of party's ultimate personae.

I'm talking about the Skill Card in general. I keep getting things like "poison mist" or "old one". I want the higher elemental skills. :p

Top Bottom