• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Kyon

Banned
But where is the lie? I tried to give it a chance, but grew very bored with it.

they keep trying to make it a THING sis. Nawt happening.
ny15.gif

I wonder if in 20 years when Persona 10 comes out, newer players will not know what Persona 4 is since it only released on the Vita and think it's lame because there is no virtual reality, no super AI that actually calls you in real life to talk to you or player dynamic speech recognition algorithm during social links :p

So I just started fighting a boss who opened up with Evil Smile into Ghastly Wail before I could do anything and... Rise blocks Ghastly Wail. Broken skill combo vs. broken support. Interesting stuff =P

Wait, is this some bug?

Well, you should never fuse before saving regardless because the Nose can screw up the fusion from time to time. He screwed up the first fusion I attempted.

Trigger

I wonder if in 20 years when Persona 10 comes out, newer players will not know what Persona 4 is since it only released on the Vita and think it's lame because there is no virtual reality, no super AI that actually calls you in real life to talk to you or player dynamic speech recognition algorithm during social links :p

I want this Persona game now.

Thoraxes

Well, you should never fuse before saving regardless because the Nose can screw up the fusion from time to time. He screwed up the first fusion I attempted.
Nah, he's just saying that fusing prior to saving your game is bad strat.
I think he's referring to the fact that it's wise to always fuse before saving because Igor occasionally fucks up...and you could also end us regretting a fusion later or something.

Oh ok, so it's just that. That's all good golden then :)

My copy finally came today so i'm digging in.

Hahaha, as of Atlus would be at Persona 10 in 20 years.

Trigger

I've been dating Chie for two months now (in game) and Yukiko is still open to flirting with me. Maybe they're not friends after all!

I've been dating Chie for two months now (in game) and Yukiko is still open to flirting with me. Maybe they're not friends after all!

Dating girls in this game is weird. I keep trying to date Daisuke and Kanji instead and nothing happens. I even tried flirting with Dojima but he gets all weird and pretends that his phone rings. Sheesh.

Gonna cruise the train station washrooms instead.

Man, it's fucking weird to me that these two girls, best friends, don't tell each other that they are dating your main character XD

Yeah, I remember theres a part in one of the later dungeons where everyone whose not in your party sort of hang out together at a resting point midway through the dungeon, and you can chat with them there for some nice dialogue. If you're dating Chie and Yukiko one of them talks about what your room is like and the other is like "huh? You've been to his room?" Then things get super awkward....And thats like the only time it comes up..?

random. but it would be nice to be able to still grab the Persona 4 Solid Gold Edition still :/

I'm still trying to decide on what to do with my second copy I had as a backup off gamestop.com that they wouldn't let me cancel before shipping it. Trying to get them to do a refund is such a pain and I am so lazy.

Chie - "So Yukiko, I'm dating the transfer guy. I'm in love with him. We kinda sealed the deal in his room, yup. Gave me this strong man hug, mmmm, I think he's crazy for me. Yep, yep, yep..."

Yukiko - "Oh that's nice, I'm hanging out with him, cooking stuff, like every other day. It's awesome."

Chie - "Why are you hanging out with my man?"

Yukiko - "No it's cool, he doesn't really care for my flirting or obvious sexual tension. He didn't tell me that you two are going out."

Chie - "Well, we don't really talk about it... am I just a, his beard or something? Hey, tell him to call me, we need to talk about this!"

Yukiko - "Well Chie, it's getting really late, so I gotta go wait for him by the book store that is closed at night time. We're going to talk together in the dark alley for a while. Later."

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Chie - "So Yukiko, I'm dating the transfer guy. I'm in love with him. We kinda sealed the deal in his room, yup. Gave me this strong man hug, mmmm, I think he's crazy for me. Yep, yep, yep..."

Yukiko - "Oh that's nice, I'm hanging out with him, cooking stuff, like every other day. It's awesome."

Chie - "Why are you trying to kill my man?"

Fix'd!

I think this may be the portable game of the century. Ok, maybe that's a little hyperbolic, but I'm amazed what Atlus has done with this port. The things they've added or changed in this version are subtle but they just warm the cockles of my heart. They've made what I already considered to be the best jrpg of the last 10 years even better. My hat is off to you, Atlus. Vita finally has it's killer app.

I think this may be the portable game of the century. Ok, maybe that's a little hyperbolic, but I'm amazed what Atlus has done with this port. The things they've added or changed in this version are subtle but they just warm the cockles of my heart. They've made what I already considered to be the best jrpg of the last 10 years even better. My hat is off to you, Atlus. Vita finally has it's killer app.

Should have a quick save and then it is

Finally I got to the
true end boss. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed at the normal end boss. The battle as a whole was not that satisfying, from the design of the boss to the music to the battleground. But I guess this makes up for it. Time to beat her!

Golbez

Finally I got to the
true end boss. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed at the normal end boss. The battle as a whole was not that satisfying, from the design of the boss to the music to the battleground. But I guess this makes up for it. Time to beat her!
The Almighty is great, but it's all about that Mist.

Finally I got to the

Technodrome is just an warmup for the emotional boss that is the Christmas date!

I didn't know it was possible to not like
the setting + music of the Ameno Sagiri fight. Ignoring the fact that you're fighting a big jaw breaker

Played my PS2 game from the beginning just to see the difference. I think the game aged well. It still looks pretty good on my HDTV with component cables. Chie's voice is definitely odd now after playing the Vita version.

I prefer the Vita version's graphics because I like the clean and crisp look. Although I do understand why some prefer the PS2 version because it does look more mysterious and atmospheric with the foggy look. Don't know if that's by design or the PS2's graphical limitation and it just looks muddy by default.

I'm glad for the Vita version because I feel like I'm playing a new game. I don't think I can go back to the PS2 one.

I didn't know it was possible to not like
the setting + music of the Ameno Sagiri fight. Ignoring the fact that you're fighting a big jaw breaker

It's not like I hated it. I was expecting
something more grand, such as the Izanami fight. After beating Ameno-Sagiri, I didn't think it was the final boss fight. Oh and, please tell me I get to keep Izanagi-no-Okami!

Marche90

It's not like I hated it. I was expecting
something more grand, such as the Izanami fight. After beating Ameno-Sagiri, I didn't think it was the final boss fight. Oh and, please tell me I get to keep Izanagi-no-Okami!

Only on New Game+, you have to fuse him (12-persona fusion, btw, need to be lv 91), and he can't be registered in the compendium. Oh! plus his Arcana is The World so no free exp for him either!

Only on New Game+, you have to fuse him (12-persona fusion, btw, need to be lv 91), and he can't be registered in the compendium.

Holy shit. 12 persona fusion? Well, I guess I'll start my New Game+. I'm thinking of doing an Izanagi-only run this time.

Squire

Banned
About 21 hours in and it's the beginning of July. Man, I love this game. It's definitely one of my favorite RPGs and it's on track to be one of my favorite games of all time <3

JJD

Just dropping by to say that Kanji Tatsumi and this game are AWESOME!!!

My Vita is redeemed! I'm having sooo much fun!

Which is funny since I tried Persona 3 FES on the Vita a couple months ago and ended up dropping it uninterested...

I'm really glad I decided to give this one a try and I will definitely try 3 again.

lingiii

Banned
Sweet fuck. I got to Summer start without initiating Kanji S-link, and now I found out I can't start until school's back in. What a total bummer!

bigkrev

Just finished (post 5th dungeon)
The concert at Junes
. I'm like 95 percent sure that wasn't in the original game, but it was a great little piece of fanservice. Its impossible to not have a grin plastered on your face while playing this game

Dantis

The concert at Junes
. I'm like 95 percent sure that wasn't in the original game, but it was a great little piece of fanservice. Its impossible to not have a grin plastered on your face while playing this game

It wasn't in the original game.

And in the Japanese version, I hated that scene more than you can imagine.

mollipen

I remember when I wrote my review for Play for Persona 3, I said the following:

If Persona 3 has one major flaw, it is the point at which the harsh realization sets in that this game is too ambitious for its own good. ... Every moment I spent interacting with the game’s characters was cherished, but one after another, the extent of those experiences was reached. I wooed sweet Yuko, got to know her, her hopes, dreams, and ambitions, and even shared a tender moment or two with her. And then, our Social Link was maxed out, and her desire to walk home with me after school like we had done so many times before was no more. There was still so much I wanted to do together! So many things I wanted to show you Yuko, so many places I wanted to take you, so many aspects of life for us to discover together! How could you be so cruel to me, after I gave you and only you my heart?!

As much as I love Persona 4, I already found myself wanting more than the game could provide me. Though I think it does a better job than Mass Effect, the results are still kind of the same: promise "romance" options, but then have those just be a series of occasional decisions that lead to some momentary event and little else.

Playing through P4G, I decided to go after Yukiko this time around (even if I felt ashamed that I'd be taking her away from Chie), and I maxed out her SL pretty quick. After we'd had our level 10 dating event, there was a "morning walk to school" scene where Yukiko runs up to me and ducks under my umbrella—only to then wonder if I'd be okay with that.

It felt awkward, because in SL terms, we were dating! But here, the game didn't pay attention to that fact. Little of the game beyond specific events—beyond that point—would pay attention to that fact.

It isn't that I want some visual sex scenes, or that I want to find a virtual relationship to make up for some lack in my real life—it's just the realization that you want more payoff for the emotional investment that you're asked to give to a game. Obviously, the type of game that I want would indeed require that higher level of AI, but that's what I now want. It's like open-world games that promise you can "do anything"; at first, they're amazing because you've never played games like them. But then, the more you play them, the more you discover their limits, and the more you want from them.

I want a Persona where character relationships morph and evolve and strengthen in all regards, not just pre-set event scenes. And not only do I want that to surround my character, but the characters I interact with as well. I want to help Naoto and Kanji end up together, if that's what I want, or I want to help the girl outside of the library in her quest to be noticed more by her sempai. And, of course, I want all of that with a main character I can set the gender of, and where "love interests" aren't so pre-set.

As frustrating as those feelings can be, they also make me happy—because it's always the games that I love most, and that I think do the best job at creating wonderful experiences, that I end up wanting more from. I wouldn't be wanting more from Persona if I didn't like it as much as I do.

So I've never played a Persona game before but I have always adored the art-style for them...

I watched the first hour on YouTube and the game seems overwhelming, but I&#8217;m now intrigued.

The concert at Junes

I really liked that scene and I have to say: Laura Bailey did a good job with it.

Top Bottom