• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Mr.Fresh

So I've never played a Persona game before but I have always adored the art-style for them...

I watched the first hour on YouTube and the game seems overwhelming, but I’m now intrigued.

I was in the same boat. Tried P3P for a couple hours and liked it, then I bought Person 4 Golden and I have to make my self stop playing the game , otherwise I won't stop till its over. It's so addicting!

Like I said I’m definitely interested in Persona 4.....but the whole series just seems so overwhelming.

I hardly understand what type of games they are! I’ll definitely keep on doing more research though.

Aiii

So not worth it
Like I said I’m definitely interested in Persona 4.....but the whole series just seems so overwhelming.

I hardly understand what type of games they are! I’ll definitely keep on doing more research though.

You don't really need to worry about that. Just pick up Persona 4 and start playing really.

It's part dating-sim, part turn-based dungeon crawler, also, if you must, it's part-Pokémon on crack. But most of all, it's guaranteed to give you 50+ hours of fun.

Dantis

Ignore the rest of the series. The games are seperate, so just look into P4 for now. It's by far the easiest in the series to get into.

You don't really need to worry about that. Just pick up Persona 4 and start playing really.

It's part dating-sim, part turn-based dungeon crawler, also, if you must, it's part-Pokémon on crack. But most of all, it's guaranteed to give you 50+ hours of fun.

As ever, I take issue with this. Dating sim gives it a negative connotation which it doesn't deserve. Social sim would be much more accurate.

Whilst there is a dating aspect to it, it is extremely minor, and in many of the S Links, not even an option (Due to age, gender etc.). S Links are more about the progression of a character's flaws than they are about dating.

Ignore the rest of the series. The games are seperate, so just look into P4 for now. It's by far the easiest in the series to get into.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll focus on Persona 4.

Aiii

So not worth it
As ever, I take issue with this. Dating sim gives it a negative connotation which it doesn't deserve. Social sim would be much more accurate.

Whilst there is a dating aspect to it, it is extremely minor, and in many of the S Links, not even an option (Due to age, gender etc.). S Links are more about the progression of a character's flaws than they are about dating.

Fair enough, social-sim.

Lusankya

Just dropping by to say that Kanji Tatsumi and this game are AWESOME!!!

My Vita is redeemed! I'm having sooo much fun!

Which is funny since I tried Persona 3 FES on the Vita a couple months ago and ended up dropping it uninterested...

I'm really glad I decided to give this one a try and I will definitely try 3 again.

I had a similar experience with P3 and P4 on the PS2. First I bought P3 without knowing much and while I liked it I was quickly bored by Tartarus. I still bought Persona 4, because I read it was supposed to have gotten rid of many flaws and loved it. After that I bought P3 FES and loved it as well. Being much more experienced also helped in enjoying the battle system of P3.

Dantis

Haha, oh wow.

For a while, I've been wanting to draw some Persona art. I've never drawn anime/manga before, but I feel I'm a reasonably competent artist, and I've looked at Soejima's art loads, and it's even influenced by own art in a lot of ways. How hard could it be?

Now I know the answer: Very. The lineart is taking far longer to get to an acceptable level than I would like.

I think in the future I'll stick to just playing Persona, rather than trying to draw it. :p

Duffyside

Banned
Finally got and started my copy.

I had seen the opening cinematic on youtube a few times before the game released, and always thought it was "ok." But having it in my hands, on that fabulous screen, and knowing that I was about to re-experience this world and its characters gave me goosebumps, and put a smile on my face. I actually sat there and let it play through again in totality I enjoyed it so much, though I do hope accessing the original is an option at some point, in some way.

The game looks absolutely fantastic. I still scratch my head over the people who said the improvements made to the art and fidelity would detract from the true P4. And as weird as it is to say, the little "Well, relax and have fun with the game" along with the awesome little piano soft-jazz menu music really made my day. Something about it all just conveys a level of love for the game from developers and Atlus that I just find so endearing.

Now, the negative. This new Chie... is awful. She is squeaky, she OH-VER-EMPH-A-SIZ-ESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS all her lines, talks a degree louder than everyone else, conveys no nuance or subtlety, and her delivery is just... meaner. She strikes me as that girl from junior high that needs attention at all times, and has a superiority complex, and would plot to murder some other girl if they were to get a lead part in a play. Seriously; first-to-worst.

I guess the good thing about it is I now am guaranteed to play the game differently than the Giant Bomb guys did. I wanted to anyway, as I like
Rise and Naoto and Kanji and Teddie
a ton, but knowing that Yukiko is basically essential to any party, and loving the old Chie more than any other character, I didn't know if I would have the guts to replace anyone other than Yosuke in my party when the time came.

That's not an issue now. Hit the bricks, Chie. Your ice is weak anywayz.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I ended up naming my character Crystoph Sandpape, but i have yet to get a 'i get it' message on psn from playing this online

Varna

I remember when I wrote my review for Play for Persona 3, I said the following:

As much as I love Persona 4, I already found myself wanting more than the game could provide me. Though I think it does a better job than Mass Effect, the results are still kind of the same: promise "romance" options, but then have those just be a series of occasional decisions that lead to some momentary event and little else.

Playing through P4G, I decided to go after Yukiko this time around (even if I felt ashamed that I'd be taking her away from Chie), and I maxed out her SL pretty quick. After we'd had our level 10 dating event, there was a "morning walk to school" scene where Yukiko runs up to me and ducks under my umbrella—only to then wonder if I'd be okay with that.

It felt awkward, because in SL terms, we were dating! But here, the game didn't pay attention to that fact. Little of the game beyond specific events—beyond that point—would pay attention to that fact.

It isn't that I want some visual sex scenes, or that I want to find a virtual relationship to make up for some lack in my real life—it's just the realization that you want more payoff for the emotional investment that you're asked to give to a game. Obviously, the type of game that I want would indeed require that higher level of AI, but that's what I now want. It's like open-world games that promise you can "do anything"; at first, they're amazing because you've never played games like them. But then, the more you play them, the more you discover their limits, and the more you want from them.

I want a Persona where character relationships morph and evolve and strengthen in all regards, not just pre-set event scenes. And not only do I want that to surround my character, but the characters I interact with as well. I want to help Naoto and Kanji end up together, if that's what I want, or I want to help the girl outside of the library in her quest to be noticed more by her sempai. And, of course, I want all of that with a main character I can set the gender of, and where "love interests" aren't so pre-set.

As frustrating as those feelings can be, they also make me happy—because it's always the games that I love most, and that I think do the best job at creating wonderful experiences, that I end up wanting more from. I wouldn't be wanting more from Persona if I didn't like it as much as I do.

Yup. This is exactly what I was saying before about zero long term implications of any of your actions. This game improved slightly on the formula by having combat benefits, but story wise social link choices exist in a vacuum.

Oh well. Atlus really seems to want to move in the direction of full voice acting and that is only going to make it harder to do such things.

Salaadin

My sleep schedule is so screwed up thanks to this game. I have to wake up at 5:30 on Saturday so I think I need to work on making things normal again so I dont sleep in. That means very little Persona 4 tonight :(

I didnt do too much last night after finishing Voidquest. Just worked on SLinks. Maxed out Chie and got Marie to 7 or 8. Also fished a lot but that damn cat is never full!

Omikaru

My sleep schedule is so screwed up thanks to this game. I have to wake up at 5:30 on Saturday so I think I need to work on making things normal again so I dont sleep in. That means very little Persona 4 tonight :(

I didnt do too much last night after finishing Voidquest. Just worked on SLinks. Maxed out Chie and got Marie to 7 or 8. Also fished a lot but that damn cat is never full!

Yep, these 4am bedtimes from playing this game are doing my body no favours. I'm feeling like death right now.

Going to try and get to sleep at only 1am this evening, and then midnight on Friday.

vladdamad

So I normally love JRPGs, tried Persona 3 on PSP, but really disliked it. I don't know if it was the lack of cutscenes/exploration or what, but after around 4 hours I gave up. I did like the world and characters though.

What are the chances of me enjoying Persona 4? Also, how is the story (usually the most important aspect of a JRPG for me)

You would be surprised at how many people would argue that P3 is a better game. Hell, you would be surprised at how many people think P2 is a better game. Persona 2 is my favorite and even I think they are crazy.

fuck it. Going to stop playing P3P and just go on to P4G. Sounds like a much better experience and way to spend my gaming time.

Good choice!

So I normally love JRPGs, tried Persona 3 on PSP, but really disliked it. I don't know if it was the lack of cutscenes/exploration or what, but after around 4 hours I gave up. I did like the world and characters though.

What are the chances of me enjoying Persona 4? Also, how is the story (usually the most important aspect of a JRPG for me)

It probably was vladdamad - as for the story in P4, I think you'll find the story to be more energetic and personal to the characters involved. There isn't much of a dreary convolution but rather a constant exposition of events in a, uh, colorful and often humorous way. What the characters have at stake in the events of the story is much more apparent than in other games and I feel that this grabs your attention.

Dantis

You would be surprised at how many people would argue that P3 is a better game. Hell, you would be surprised at how many people think P2 is a better game. Persona 2 is my favorite and even I think they are crazy.

In some ways, I'd definitely say that P3 is better. The tone is much more interesting, the main plot is much better and the way the sound and art design meld together is astounding.

Overall though, I couldn't put one game over the other, I don't think.

vladdamad

Good choice!

It probably was vladdamad - as for the story in P4, I think you'll find the story to be more energetic and personal to the characters involved. There isn't much of a dreary convolution but rather a constant exposition of events in a, uh, colorful and often humorous way. What the characters have at stake in the events of the story is much more apparent than in other games and I feel that this grabs your attention.

Well this does sound pretty good. Probably gonna get it once it comes out here in Europe (February). Just in time for the end of my exams

Right - I think we could agree that they are all great games, but the barrier of entry differs for each. Haha, will we see the same for Persona 4, years from now, when we are all playing Persona 6?

Well this does sound pretty good. Probably gonna get it once it comes out here in Europe (February). Just in time for the end of my exams

Avoid spoilers for the best effect, good luck :)

Sophia

I don't think anyone could argue that Persona 2 is a better game, but they could certainly make that comment about the story and setting.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh my gosh, Shadow 5 (Very Hard).

I think I'm going to reset and fuse something / level up some more. I just want to keep everyone alive towards the end. I only had time to play in bits and pieces this week so people aren't levelled up as much as I'd like them to be (30). My fault, mostly. I should've played this when I had more time to get in-depth with it.

JJD

Some of you guys might like this:

Siliconera reports that the ‘Persona 4 Official Art Book’, ‘Shigenori Soejima Art Works 2004-2010′, and ‘Catherine Official Visual & Scenario Collection ♀VENUS☆MODE♂’ (yes that’s the Catherine book’s actual title) have launched on Sony’s PlayView app.

Pricing is as follows:

Shigenori Soejima Art Works 2004-2010 – 1,400 yen
Persona 4 Official Art Book – 1,200 yen
Catherine Official Visual & Scenario Collection ♀VENUS☆MODE♂ – 1,260 yen

They are available on the japanese PSN store.

Venfayth

Oh my gosh, Shadow 5 (Very Hard).

I think I'm going to reset and fuse something / level up some more. I just want to keep everyone alive towards the end. I only had time to play in bits and pieces this week so people aren't levelled up as much as I'd like them to be (30). My fault, mostly. I should've played this when I had more time to get in-depth with it.

It takes so long, but it helps a lot. I just got to shadow 6 and spent a lot of time getting everyone to 45 and was able to do it pretty easily on my first shot with no deaths.

Is Marie an actual new battle character? Or just an s link

S.Link, she won't participate in fights ;(

Question about "The Voice" option.

I see lots of "Spent time with Marie". WHO IS MARIE? ;)

A girl with cool socks :O

It takes so long, but it helps a lot. I just got to shadow 6 and spent a lot of time getting everyone to 45 and was able to do it pretty easily on my first shot with no deaths.

S.Link, she won't participate in fights ;(

A girl with cool socks :O

stupidsocksihateyouimeanliketheydontmatchoranythingpluswaithowdoievenhave
theseclothesanywayidontknowwhoiamandrandomlywokeupwaitimconfuedhow
didigetherewhatever

Yep, these 4am bedtimes from playing this game are doing my body no favours. I'm feeling like death right now.

Going to try and get to sleep at only 1am this evening, and then midnight on Friday.

Nice to see that we're all screwed collectively! I've been staying up to 1 am and waking up at 6 am so that I can have some semblance of sleep at night so I can get to work the next day.

Also, every day has become "bring your Vita to work day" >>....

Verelios

I don't think anyone could argue that Persona 2 is a better game, but they could certainly make that comment about the story and setting.

Persona 4 is a better game overall, but the premise and actual story of Persona 2 is leagues better. If it didn't have that annoyingly high enemy encounter rate, Persona 2 would have been golden.

I'm not really minding Chie's VA, but it is disgruntling to hear one VA who seems to just 'get it' perfectly with just the right intonation and inflection only to hear a dry 'Yeah let's read off some news now' voice.

I always like Igor's voices in the Persona games-- there's a certain attraction to it. Wish he has a SL.

ckohler

Okay, I'm really enjoying this game but I have to admit, there is still so much stuff I don't understand that it's starting to bug me.

For example, the whole "Fusion" thing. I found a FAQ about Fusion online and tried to read it but it reads like a VCR repair guide. I can't make heads or tails of it. Another issue I'm running into is with how much I should grind versus doing tasks (work/sports/whatever). It's not clear at all what the negative effects of NOT doing these things are.

Also, I'm really surprised the game has never explained the stats... AT ALL. I had no idea what St, Ma, En, Ag, Lu were or what they were for. How was I supposed to learn this outside of reading a FAQ online?

So, let me just ask some simple questions:

1) Do I have to do this Fusion stuff to win?

2) If I skip soccer practice because I have a job, does that hurt me? I can't do both if they fall on the same day, after all.

3) Which is more important, a job or clubs?

4) What are Social Links good for, exactly?

5) If I decide to visit the TV every night, how am I hurting my character when I'm constantly leveling up?

Benefits of having your own isolated office down the hall from everyone else :D.

It's weird, I could just wake up at my normal time (6-7 am)....play until about 11 and then come into work. Instead, I like coming in early and getting some 'alone coding' time before everyone else comes in the office and the emails start a-flying.

Bah, who am I kidding, I'm glad that I can't play it ALL the time...then i'd finish this wonderful game too quickly.

Omikaru

Nice to see that we're all screwed collectively! I've been staying up to 1 am and waking up at 6 am so that I can have some semblance of sleep at night so I can get to work the next day.

Also, every day has become "bring your Vita to work day" >>....

I mostly work at home (I'd say 75% of my work is done here), so my Vita sits in its cradle staring at me, while I post on GAF about how I'm going to play the game later in the evening until the early hours of the morning.

what a terrible life we live, aye?

I just hope I can convince myself to not do a new game + immediately.
Already started downloading the Persona4 Endurance Run from Giantbomb. That'll get some play on my second monitor while doing PC games.

bigkrev

2) If I skip soccer practice because I have a job, does that hurt me? I can't do both if they fall on the same day, after all.

5) If I decide to visit the TV every night, how am I hurting my character when I'm constantly leveling up?

1. Fusion is pretty necessary. However, unless you are trying to fuse high level Persona's, you don't need a guide. Just use the "Search" function, it shows you all the persona's you can fuse with your current stock, and just remember to make some new ones every now and then.

2 and 3. Don't worry about managing clubs and jobs- for the most part, you have a long time to max them out. The sports club and culture clubs are social links, and once you max them out, you have no real reason to keep attending them. You can skip a club for months at a time with no real penalty. As far as jobs go, the ones you do at your house (Translating, making envelopes, ect) exist purely to gain you points in traits like Understanding and Expression, as well as to make some cash. Leveling up those stats is important- there are many social links you can't start without having a high enough rank in some categories, some links you can't progress until you level them up, ect.

The jobs that require you take the bus (Like Daycare or the Hospital) are also Social Links.

4. Social Links are important because of the bonuses they provide. When fusing persona's, they gain an experience bonus based on the level of its corresponding arcana's SL status. So if you are fusing a Temperance persona, and your Temperance SL is at level 6, you are going to get a massive boost in experience, often resulting in multiple level ups at a time. In addition, when SLinking with your teammates, they can get new powers they wouldn't normally earn by standard leveling, as well as gaining passive abilities like taking a mortal blow in battle for you, or preforming follow-up attacks/

5. Not sure what you mean by this. When you go into the TV, you do sacrifice the ability to SLink for the day, which in turn is going to hurt the persona's you make, but unless you are going into the TV every other day or something crazy like that, its not going to make a real impact on the game. As an example, I normally only go into the TV when a new dungeon opens up, and maybe spend 2 days clearing it out.

Okay, I'm really enjoying this game but I have to admit, there is still so much stuff I don't understand that it's starting to bug me.

For example, the whole "Fusion" thing. I found a FAQ about Fusion online and tried to read it but it reads like a VCR repair guide. I can't make heads or tails of it. Another issue I'm running into is with how much I should grind versus doing tasks (work/sports/whatever). It's not clear at all what the negative effects of NOT doing these things are.

Also, I'm really surprised the game has never explained the stats... AT ALL. I had no idea what St, Ma, En, Ag, Lu were or what they were for. How was I supposed to learn this outside of reading a FAQ online?

1. Yes. You will soon figure out that having Personas with good abilities is way more important than leveling and equipment. Fusion allows you to obtain high level Personas with their abilities unlocked without grinding.

2. I don't think so although turning down requests might hurt you.

3. They're about equal. The most important ones are your team members' S. Links as they give them abilities.

4. S. Links allow your Personas to gain levels when you create them through Fusion, increase your teammates' abilities and unlock dungeon amenities.

5. Don't do this. You will want to spend as little time (game days) dungeon grinding as possible as S. Links are way more important. With proper set ups you can get everything you need done in the TV world done in one day per rescue period.

Hi! Just bought a Vita (damn you, Amazon.de Cyber Monday!) and since P4 Golden is only going to come out here in February, I was wondering whether you could buy it in the PS Store from Europe? Can I just create an account in the American PS Store and buy it that way or would I need an American credit card or something like that?

It's weird, I could just wake up at my normal time (6-7 am)....play until about 11 and then come into work. Instead, I like coming in early and getting some 'alone coding' time before everyone else comes in the office and the emails start a-flying.

Bah, who am I kidding, I'm glad that I can't play it ALL the time...then i'd finish this wonderful game too quickly.

As a graphic designer/web coder I know what you mean by alone time before everyone else starts coming into the office. Usually, I'm most productive in the wee hours of the morning.

When I was broke and underemployed, I think I finished P4 on the PS2 in about a week and a half. Right now I'm only at the midpoint of the Void Quest. While I do certainly miss those days as a gamer, I think getting a f/t job has made me a much more picky gamer since there's only so much time I get to play.

Hi! Just bought a Vita (damn you, Amazon.de Cyber Monday!) and since P4 Golden is only going to come out here in February, I was wondering whether you could buy it in the PS Store from Europe? Can I just create an account in the American PS Store and buy it that way or would I need an American credit card or something like that?

You need an American psn account (and you can only have one account per memory card). Don't know about the credit card but I wouldn't thinks so.

mollipen

The easiest way to explain this - and a lot of people seem to not grasp this concept right away - is that you are your persona. In most RPGs, your character and your teammates have stats and abilities. In Persona 3/4, you are whatever your persona is.

So, let's say that your character is level 30, and the persona you're currently using is level 15. That means, basically, that you're level 15 when using that persona. So, at any one point, you want personas of as high of a level as possible, because otherwise you're purposefully gimping yourself.

Of course, what the persona can do is also very important, and you'll never get truly powerful personas without fusing. By nature, persona will over time gain useful skills, but by fusing persona you've leveled and having a new persona inherit some of those skills they'd never learn on their own, you can create very powerful persona that are far more useful.

Part of what to keep in mind is not to get too attached to spefici persona - what matters to you is what they can do and what stats/strengths they have, not how cool they look.

Aiii

So not worth it

The problem is your memory card is linked to your account. You can't just switch from one to the other. Plus you wouldn't be able to collect trophies on your regular PSN account.

I would suggest you buy it retail over at VGP or something, that way you don't need a second memory card just for your US account.

DJ_Lae

Not very far into the game yet as I only really have time to play it before bed (though I've been staying up later than I should as a result).

Made it to the main castle boss, completely forgot about what affinity she was. I made it further into the fight than I expected but a couple of unlucky turns (and way too low SP before entering the battle with few restorative items) turned things sour and I just quit the game. I forgot that guards are broken with one hit and don't carry through the full enemy turn, so Chie getting her guard broken by the dinky prince only to receive the full brunt of the boss' big attack gets annoying when it happens more than once.

Will fuse a more appropriate persona for tonight.

Really enjoying playing through the game again, and the tweaks are certainly welcome. I'm not sure how I feel about the new 'shuffle time' though. I also wish requesting help in dungeons was a little quicker, that pause and siren gets old.

New Chie's growing on me a little bit too, and Nanako's even cuter now that I have two daughters of my own since playing Persona 4 for the first time.

Top Bottom