• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

This is my first time playing Persona 4 and I'm loving it so far, about 10 hours in. Quick question for those of you who are experts; do you control the actions of all of your party members during battle or do you let them do their own thing?

The easiest way to explain this - and a lot of people seem to not grasp this concept right away - is that you are your persona. In most RPGs, your character and your teammates have stats and abilities. In Persona 3/4, you are whatever your persona is.

So, let's say that your character is level 30, and the persona you're currently using is level 15. That means, basically, that you're level 15 when using that persona. So, at any one point, you want personas of as high of a level as possible, because otherwise you're purposefully gimping yourself.

Of course, what the persona can do is also very important, and you'll never get truly powerful personas without fusing. By nature, persona will over time gain useful skills, but by fusing persona you've leveled and having a new persona inherit some of those skills they'd never learn on their own, you can create very powerful persona that are far more useful.

Part of what to keep in mind is not to get too attached to spefici persona - what matters to you is what they can do and what stats/strengths they have, not how cool they look.

With the new addition of skill cards, you can also teach any Persona any move provided you have the right card in stock. While it may seem as though it makes fusing pointless just to pass on inherited skills, getting the right card(s) is pretty difficult since they're randomized.

Thankfully, once you learn a skill from a given card I believe that you can pass them on through fusing. Not 100% certain about this though.

Trigger

This is my first time playing Persona 4 and I'm loving it so far, about 10 hours in. Quick question for those of you who are experts; do you control the actions of all of your party members during battle or do you let them do their own thing?

I always choose their actions. ALWAYS.

Ohnonono

So I am not too far in the game and the story seems to keep progressing but when I visit the TV I can go to the last dungeon I did and there is a stupidly hard boss at the end. In no way can I see beating that boss without some kind of craaaaaaazy grinding. Do these non story bosses do anything really worthwhile or is it just there to be something to hit your head against between story dungeons?

Sophia

Direct Control. All Day, Everyday.

I sometimes put on the AI control when I'm being lazy, but never for bosses.

While the AI is typically pretty smart about making their own decisions....DIRECT CONTROL.

Got my ass kicked by the boss of Rise's dungeon. Right now I'm grinding to see how I fare next time.

Which boss?

Teddy or Risette?

ultron87

So I am not too far in the game and the story seems to keep progressing but when I visit the TV I can go to the last dungeon I did and there is a stupidly hard boss at the end. In no way can I see beating that boss without some kind of craaaaaaazy grinding. Do these non story bosses do anything really worthwhile or is it just there to be something to hit your head against between story dungeons?

The bosses that get put at the end of dungeons you've already completed are generally supposed to be fairly tough. I think they drop some nice items if you can kill them? You can always come back later once you're higher level.

Salaadin

The bosses that get put at the end of dungeons you've already completed are generally supposed to be fairly tough. I think they drop some nice items if you can kill them? You can always come back later once you're higher level.

Theyre worth it just for the XP/loot youll get working your way back up there, imo.

That's exactly where I'm at and I would also like to know.

Does this optional boss ever go away, or can I come back later on when I'm leveled?

The problem is that P3 only had AI control, and thus, was balanced for that. p4 reintroduced guarding to the series, which the P4 AI, which is just the P3 AI with fewer behavior options, will never guard. Also, it is easier for both sides to One More! The AI will do the slower P3 way of doing things.

The problem is that P3 only had AI control, and thus, was balanced for that. p4 reintroduced guarding to the series, which the P4 AI, which is just the P3 AI with fewer behavior options, will never guard. Also, it is easier for both sides to One More! The AI will do the slower P3 way of doing things.
That's actually the first thing that made me think direct control was probably going to become necessary; the guarding. Whenever a boss geared up for a big attack I would guard and then watch my other party members take it which just felt stupid.

Oh well, I'd rather make the moves myself than have a super smart AI doing it anyway.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Great vegetables!

Just finished the camping trip and I'm at an alright pace with my social links. Yosuke and Chie are at 7, Nanako and Dojima are at 5, Marie is at 4, Fox and Kou at 3 and loads at 2.

Can't believe I've put so much time into a game I've already played.

The problem is your memory card is linked to your account. You can't just switch from one to the other. Plus you wouldn't be able to collect trophies on your regular PSN account.

I would suggest you buy it retail over at VGP or something, that way you don't need a second memory card just for your US account.

Alright, thanks! VGP doesn't appear to ship games to Europe, so I ordered the imported copy at an online retailer in Austria. Can't wait. :)

Lagunamov

Yep, my game is from there too and I'm spanish. It only took one week to arrive. By the way, I love the vespa additions:
]Hero, Yosuke and Kanji's scene searching girls has been so funny!

I absolutely failed in the task of putting on the included Vita skin in the clumsiest, most Laurel and Hardy way possible. I had to throw it out. Just hilariously inept.

I'm really getting into this world and characters, so, how's that Persona 4 anime? I just put the Blu-Ray on my wishlist.

It's decent and the second volume comes out in December I believe. I bought the DVD instead of the Blu-Ray because I wanted both the Japanese and English dubs and it looks good upscaled on my PS3.

I'm really getting into this world and characters, so, how's that Persona 4 anime? I just put the Blu-Ray on my wishlist.

It is ok. Good for people who already played the game and want more of that world. Some characters are a little less developed and more joke versions of themselves, and some things about the anime are just dumb, but overall I say it is good fan service. Now, if you were watching that as the first piece of Persona 4 content you have seen, I would be less kind towards it.

Venfayth

What about Persona 4 Arena? Is it good as a single player game and does it have story to it?

It has a story, which I thought was pretty cool, mostly because you get to see P3 and P4 characters interact (occasionally)

It's $30 now, which isn't horrible, but I doubt if it's worth it if you're only going to be playing story mode.

ckohler

1. Fusion is pretty necessary ... Just use the "Search" function

2 and 3. Don't worry about managing clubs and jobs- for the most part, you have a long time to max them out...

4. Social Links are important because of the bonuses they provide when fusing persona's...

Thanks. Great tips. It'd been nice if the game let me know these. I guess they want you to figure it out by trial and error. :p

5. Don't do this. You will want to spend as little time (game days) dungeon grinding as possible as S. Links are way more important. With proper set ups you can get everything you need done in the TV world done in one day per rescue period.

I'll try this. I was doing the opposite and trying to level grind in the dungeons and skipping after school activities.

The easiest way to explain this - and a lot of people seem to not grasp this concept right away - is that you are your persona ... So, let's say that your character is level 30, and the persona you're currently using is level 15. That means, basically, that you're level 15 when using that persona.

Wow. This is by far the most important thing I've learned in this thread. This should be in the OP. The fact that the game casually glosses over this fact is baffling. It's absolutely necessary to know this. Thanks!

Well, I just fused some new persona over lunch and I should be better now when I play tonight.

Persona86

Banned
I remember the character from Catherine appeared in P3P.

Has anyone found out if there are any clues about P5 in P4 Golden? I know it would probably be news by now, but maybe it's hidden well. :)

Persona86

Banned
Wow. This is by far the most important thing I've learned in this thread. This should be in the OP. The fact that the game casually glosses over this fact is baffling. It's absolutely necessary to know this. Thanks!
That's a good thing, too many games hold your hand these days. The best games are ones where you find this stuff out for yourself.

I absolutely failed in the task of putting on the included Vita skin in the clumsiest, most Laurel and Hardy way possible. I had to throw it out. Just hilariously inept.

Yep. Took me about 5-6 tries to even get it on straight and when I finally did, there were probably 5 different air pockets caused by dirt and lint that made their way in while I was concentrating on getting it on. Just took it off.

JJD

I had a similar experience with P3 and P4 on the PS2. First I bought P3 without knowing much and while I liked it I was quickly bored by Tartarus. I still bought Persona 4, because I read it was supposed to have gotten rid of many flaws and loved it. After that I bought P3 FES and loved it as well. Being much more experienced also helped in enjoying the battle system of P3.

I actually liked the Tartarus on P3 Portable! My main problem is that I thought that the social aspect of the game was a bit too much emphasized for my tastes.

After playing 24 hours of P4 I have now come to believe that my problem with 3 was it's story or the way they handled the social aspect on the PSP port. It just didn't click with me at first because I'm having fun now with the social side of P4. Truth be told I think I only played P3 Portable for less than 10 hours so I probably was still at the beginning of the game and didn't knew enough about the story to fairly judge it.

I also believe that the social part of P3 suffered a great deal on the PSP port when direct control of the protagonist was not allowed outside of dungeons and instead you did everything with an on screen cursor.

Since I have actually began to really enjoy the series I'm looking forward to finishing 4 and trying 3 again, but I think I'll just buy the PS2 version of P3 FES available on PSN instead of trying P3 Portable again! I know that the combat mechanics of P3 FES are not as fleshed out as P3 Portable since it draws heavily from P4 combat innovations, but maybe if I manage to finally enjoy the social side of 3 hopefully I'll do the same with the simplified combat mechanics.

Sophia

What about Persona 4 Arena? Is it good as a single player game and does it have story to it?

It has a pretty long story mode, 20+ hours, but the single player options are a bit barebones outside of that. Might be worth it if you haven't seen the story as it's one of Atlus's best written.

Does the P4 Anime follow the story of the game?

Yup. It's a pretty faithful adaptation, although it's got a lot of flaws due to the director being better at comedy than action/drama.

Dantis

I remember the character from Catherine appeared in P3P.

Has anyone found out if there are any clues about P5 in P4 Golden? I know it would probably be news by now, but maybe it's hidden well. :)

I don't think there are any. The Vincent thing was pretty easily accessible.

Also, why has nobody mentioned the P3 reference in the coffee shop? Blew my mind.

It has a pretty long story mode, 20+ hours, but the single player options are a bit barebones outside of that. Might be worth it if you haven't seen the story as it's one of Atlus's best written.
In the name of offering a balanced view, I'm going to disagree. It's heavy on the fan-service, low on actual substance. Also, waaaay too much boring inner-monologue.

Sophia

Hmm.

So, if I haven't beaten the game yet, it should still be okay to check out the first couple episodes of the anime without spoiling anything?

Aye, you wouldn't spoil anything.

So I just got the game and am going through the extras. Holy fuck @ this concert footage. This is coked out.

It's the 2009 and 2010 footage, isn't it? I thought the new concert from 2012 was pretty amazing from what I saw of it on YouTube. They had a loooooot of people.

In the name of offering a balanced view, I'm going to disagree. It's heavy on the fan-service, low on actual substance. Also, waaaay too much boring inner-monologue.

Suit yourself, it's a sidestory and nothing more, and I happen to LIKE that inner-monologue. Labrys and Aigis's story modes wouldn't work without it.

Golbez

5GYLll.jpg

Courage boost be damned, anyone who would eat the pudding is a monster.

Been listening to the P4 OST for a few days now and am now debating if I want to get the P4G one, despite it not really having anything new... Blah.

...Damn you 'Shadow World' for being so addicting and damn you Sony for not putting this stuff on iTunes!

I'll probably breakdown and buy the cd anyways lol. This is a horrible sickness I tell you.

Top Bottom