• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Varna

Second said:
I never played P1 and P2. Are they the same as P3 and P4? By that I mean school-sims dungeoun crawlers with social links?

No. But if you thought the characters were good P1/P2 won't disappoint in that aspect. It does it a whole lot better, but unfortunately it's somewhat tedious.

RedBoot

Yaweee said:
He means Elizabeth 2.

Actually, on Margaret's voice acting, her first few lines are delivered horribly, but from there on, she's fine. Her lines from later in the game, as well as the few lines in her S.Link, are all done very well. I don't know why her early lines are so bad (and it worried me at first since she's I believe the second character you hear), but they seemed to iron it out. Chie's the same way, her lines in the first day or so are kind of weak, but she gets better and ends up as one of the best-voiced characters in the game. Unfortunately, I think they must have recorded the battle lines first because she's not to good in them either (Aha! Is this our chance?).

As for Naoto, I never had a problem with his voicework, I thought it fit the character pretty well. In particular,
the scenes with her Shadow were very well done

Volcynika

Adam Prime said:
Anyone remember the "Trick" in P3 for grinding in the bonus dungeon, Monad? It involved you casting two spells, and killing everything. The first one was like a darkness spell that inflicted them with something, the second one was like mudoon or something to kill them. It was crazy easy. I remember I solo'd and got my main character up to like Lv 95 in under an hour.

Die For Me!

RedBoot said:
Unfortunately, I think they must have recorded the battle lines first because she's not to good in them either (Aha! Is this our chance?).

That's the one line that always makes me laugh from unintentional hilarity. It's so clearly a recorded voice. Aside from that, Chie's voice was great, though. She really felt like a real person talking, and not just someone character acting.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
That's the one line that always makes me laugh from unintentional hilarity. It's so clearly a recorded voice. Aside from that, Chie's voice was great, though. She really felt like a real person talking, and not just someone character acting.
And Yukiko's "The enemy is down! we must strike!" makes her sound like she's from communist China.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone notice how poorly the VA were during anime cutscenes? They had like no inflection in their voice and sounded like their lines were being read. But during most of the game the VA did a really amazing job. I just noticed that during the anime scenes the VA seemed noticeably bad in how they delivered their lines.

Oh and I :lol so much during the ending scenes where
1. before everyone fought the final boss, they're all shouting some battle line, and then 2. Everyone is saying their goodbyes before he gets on the train
and the MC just stands there and grunts . :lol Not much with words huh? They could've at least make him say SOMETHING to fit the moment.

noi5e

Second said:
Regarding P4. I really wanted to max out the character at lvl 99 for the best personae. But the grinding took too long. So I stopped. The same with P3. lvl 88 is the farrest I've went.
The Moon arcana card for extra XP is very rare, and you don't know if goes up or down...

You only need to get as far as LV93 to get the last personae... Best, though, that's kind of arguable since Lucifer is nothing next to
Yoshitsune

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Darkman M said:
Did i ever mention how Awesome the final battle music is? Just a random thought:D

I liked it a lot, but not as good as P3's final boss music. Does anyone know what that track was called?

eXistor

Finally finished the game on saturday (true ending, 91 hours, a lot of S-links maxed and all the quests done). It was FANTASTIC! The gameplay in itself is good enough as it is, but it's been a long, LONG time since I was this invested in the story and characters in a jrpg. I have long given up on expecting these aspects to be decent in any game these days, but P4 outdid itself in both departments. It was the characters that made me want to push to through even when dungeon-crawling was getting a bit samey (not the games' strongest suit).

I had played P3 for a good 10 hours, but then another game (that I can't even remember) came along and I sort of forgot about it. But rest assured P3 will be thoroughly played this year (I even got P3 FES as well, so I'm just gonna start over with that). I'm not expecting it to be as good as P4 tbh, but if the characters and story are only half as interesting I'm in for a treat.

Adam Prime said:
I liked it a lot, but not as good as P3's final boss music. Does anyone know what that track was called?
Hmm...I'm torn. On one hand, Battle for Everyone's Souls is undeniably grand. But the low-key drum sections in The Genesis are pretty powerful. Then, five minutes in, when you think the song is probably just looping, it kicks into the RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME BRASS section. The refrain from "Reach Out to the Truth" is just too great.

Ah, I can't decide. I love 'em both way too much.

IzzyF3

I'd just want to say I just beat the game. Fantastic in every way a JRPG should be. Only flaw in my opinion is the that its game over when the main character dies in battle. It made more sense in P3 because you only get to directly control the main character, but P4 changed that and made it seemed very unnatural and frustrating at times.

It's games like Persona 4 that made me understand why the Japanese don't care so much for next gen consoles.

AniHawk

Blackjack said:
Naoto and Elizabeth would like to have some words with you.

Any words at all, really. Any of them.

Eh, I think part of that was because of their bizarre dialogue. They sounded the least like real people and both had to sound professional. When Naoto was made to sound more like a
woman,
the actor did a more natural-sounding job.

RedBoot

RocketDarkness said:
Hmm...I'm torn. On one hand, Battle for Everyone's Souls is undeniably grand. But the low-key drum sections in The Genesis are pretty powerful. Then, five minutes in, when you think the song is probably just looping, it kicks into the RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME BRASS section. The refrain from "Reach Out to the Truth" is just too great.

Ah, I can't decide. I love 'em both way too much.

I really like the Genesis, and it works so well in-game (the Reach Out to the Truth section came on just as I was starting to win), but I think Battle for Everyone's Souls works better out of game, if I'm just listening to music. Burn My Dread Final Battle is great like that as well. I really hope we get a Persona 4 Reincarnation CD like we did for P3, I'd love to see how Meguro could play with some of the songs. An extended version of Pursuing My True Self, for instance, would be awesome, and any new version of Backside of the TV would be welcome.

As far as battle themes go, though, don't forget FES. Heartful Cry and Darkness are incredible.

Blackjack said:
Naoto and Elizabeth would like to have some words with you.

Any words at all, really. Any of them.
I'll give you Naoto acting like a boy, but when she switches to girl mode she's just fine. Though, I didn't mind her acting like a boy for the most part.

noi5e

I liked Naoto's in-battle voice. "All yours!" was like Aigis's "Personaaaa!"

Margaret, on the other hand, sounded like she phoned in her vocals.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
:lol alright. Man he had some real good one-liners over the course of the game. He was a nice comedic relief to the game that never got overly annoying (although I can understand how some people might think that he is) and kept a lighthearted fun attitude.

ilikeme

Finished, thoughts

Bad Ending:
No last dungeon? No boss battle? Total failure!
Wow if you actually get this the first time and don't get that there's more to it. Or if you don't save.. what a dissapointment that would be. I mean being punished for being stupid I get but
pushing him into the TV
was too fun to pass on.

Better Ending:
Oh well. The anime cutscenes are fugly and the wrap-up was still not that satisfying. The game took me so long and you got so little. :( Great music in the end though and a fun touch with the
Maxed S.Links
saying goodbye.
The New Game+ function is a major blessing though! ..but without being able to skip cutscenes I don't know if I have the guts to go through that again... but I can sit in another room just spamming Triangle, with the random X thrown in for dialogue choices, I guess.. :)

Last Boss:
What a disappointment. I killed him while sitting in the kitchen eating dinner. Yay for wireless controllers! I'll have to do an expert run of the game because on normal you don't need to utilize any of the more bizarre and strategic aspects of the battle system. I mean I'm not even that good with Jrpgs usually but this game was super-easy. The good part of that is the accessibility I guess.. But the last boss was just a grind.

True Ending:

Is it possible to to max Margaret's S.Link from Rank 2 on 21/11?
Are all her requests fusions?

Adam Prime said:
Anyone else think that Teddie always said "BEAR-SONA!" instead of Persona?
He did, and it was awesome. <3

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
ilikeme said:
Finished, thoughts

Bad Ending:
No last dungeon? No boss battle? Total failure!
Wow if you actually get this the first time and don't get that there's more to it. Or if you don't save.. what a dissapointment that would be. I mean being punished for being stupid I get but
pushing him into the TV
was too fun to pass on.

yeah I was happy that I correctly guess the correct sequence of choices to avoid the bad ending. It was actually really lucky... because I hadn't saved in over an hour. Yeah that ending sucked, it was supposed to.

The New Game+ function is a major blessing though! ..but without being able to skip cutscenes I don't know if I have the guts to go through that again... but I can sit in another room just spamming Triangle, with the random X thrown in for dialogue choices, I guess.. :)

Totally agree, I don't know if I can play this again for that sole reason.
Last Boss:
What a disappointment. I killed him while sitting in the kitchen eating dinner. Yay for wireless controllers! I'll have to do an expert run of the game because on normal you don't need to utilize any of the more bizarre and strategic aspects of the battle system. I mean I'm not even that good with Jrpgs usually but this game was super-easy. The good part of that is the accessibility I guess.. But the last boss was just a grind.

Again agreed. Maybe someday in the future I'll try again on Expert, but yeah Normal was pretty much a breeze. Contrast that to P3 where on Normal I died over and over and over and over again. This game removed a lot of the frustrating things that kept you from getting one-shot killed (like taking mortal blows, and having teammates cover for you).

Tamanon

Banned
ilikeme said:
Is it possible to to max Margaret's S.Link from Rank 2 on 21/11?
Are all her requests fusions?

You can max her S. Link on the first day it's established on New Game+ if you have the personas made already in the compendium.

Tamanon

Banned
Stolen from the mayonaka_tv LJ group.

09-01-18_runningboy.jpg

:lol

Tamanon

Banned
Somebody with too much time on their hands just threw it together, since Running Boy gets more screentime than most other S. Links!

Adam Prime said:
Kanji's VA did a stand up job for him. He sounded like one of the most realistic characters of the whole bunch.
Yeah, Kanji is my second favorite character. Naoto was my favorite.

:lol at the running boy.

Joule

:lol That's hilarious.

The NPCs in P4 were pretty good (as they were in P3). I was really interested in what most of them were up to or what would happen next for them. Like that brown haired girl who talks with the easily frightened one in your class. She was pretty cool. One line I remember from her was something along the lines of "If you ever tired of all those annoying people asking about you just because you're a transfer student, you can hang out with me". I was like damn let's hang out like right now.

noi5e

My vote for best NPC's goes to Spacy Girl and Errand Boy.

I wonder what else is white and square?
> Tofu
> Mahjong Tiles
> Almond Jelly

My backlog is killing me :( Courtesy of WoW but I've dropped that crack for now and want to clear out and experience as many games as I can that I've missed. I'm pretty damn sure I don't have time to finish two persona games so should I go for this one or FES?
I've read that this one is better and that it will be hard to go back to FES after playing 4...

Ourobolus

Banned
Melhisedek said:
My backlog is killing me :( Courtesy of WoW but I've dropped that crack for now and want to clear out and experience as many games as I can that I've missed. I'm pretty damn sure I don't have time to finish two persona games so should I go for this one or FES?
I've read that this one is better and that it will be hard to go back to FES after playing 4...

Well, if you're talking the whole of P3, then...

The Journey: 60-100 hrs.
The Answer: 25-40 hrs.
P4: 60-100 hrs.

If you're going to eventually play both, play P3 first, or else it'll seem really, really weird after playing the battle system of P4.

If you're going to play one: P4.

Vorador

Banned
Melhisedek said:

Me

P3 FES: Almost 100 hours
P3 FES The Answer (kind of a expansion of the game): around 30 hours
P4: 74 hours

And P4 is better since they ironed out some of the main problems P3 had (mainly the party management and the too repetitive dungeon), still P3 is good on it's own and if you have the time you should play it, but it's hard to go back after playing P4.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Man I dont mean to be ignorant but how long does it take before I get to actually PLAY the game? I'm 2 hours in and have go to fight 3 battles.
You're almost there. The one thing P3 has P4 beat in is getting you into the action faster. But P4's setup is worth the wait, in my opinion.

Ourobolus

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Man I dont mean to be ignorant but how long does it take before I get to actually PLAY the game? I'm 2 hours in and have go to fight 3 battles.
The beginning of the game is pretty tedious. Just stick through it, you're almost there!

If this is your first time playing, I envy you. I want to play it again for the first time! ;_;

Top Bottom