• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Red Scarlet

ramus said:
I managed to pass on 3 repels to cover the non-nulled elements. Took me several hours of reselecting, it won't be any fun. (Amusingly, I gave up in the middle and re-fused new ingredients with some Nulls but still managed to get all the Repels in the end.)

Ah, cool. I am 2/3 the way right now (got a Matador with Null Fire and can make Taowu with Repel Phys, so just need Null Wind). I made the Gabriel I was going to get, although I'll probably just fuse her for other stuff since she's not really useful for me, and I got lucky and made a Jatayu out of random cards I got, which let me make a pretty cool Nebiros!

p4058.png

p4056.png

I'm not really sure what I should get rid of for Spell Master, but since Rocket Darkness said he's one of my ingredients for who I want, I'll probably dispose of Mamudoon, since that won't be of much use and will probably come up too often in the fuse I want to do.

baphometbones said:
Fuck the stupid Fox and his S.Link requests. I'm stuck at level 9 and I can't seem to catch a Huge Fish for the life of me.

The rumble is the key to fishing. When you cast, you'll feel a rumble; the harder the rumble, the bigger the fish -- press the button to pull out the pole if it's not the fish you're looking for. For the Huge Fish you want a pretty strong rumble, and for the Guardian you want pretty much the strongest jolt the Dualshock can dish out.

Yaweee said:
I'm not sure I even got Rise's last ability. What level does it come at?

73. It's prettty convenient for running around getting money/levels near the end.

Speaking of which: if anyone out there is looking to complete their Persona compendium and needs to gain those last ~20 levels to unlock the ability to make Lucifer and whatnot, here is my advice: go into the last dungeon alone. Your MC should be able to take on every fight in the last floor of the last dungeon solo by level ~80 with decent personas (in fact, quite a few of them are actually much faster with just the MC and a Reflect Phys persona) and you'll get 4x the XP for everything.

White Man said:
What other late game personas are awesome?

Satan learns the second-most-powerful Almighty attack, Regenerate and Invigorate 3, and has a pretty solid slate of resistances already -- plus you can fuse him out of Metatron, who learns three Repels natively, so it's pretty straightforward to make an all-elements-nulling Satan. Ishtar is probably the best healing persona in the game, especially if you fuse some nice staying-alive stuff on like Repel Phys. And I just made a Helel today that knows all four Ma-*-dyne spells, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Beyond that, Trumpeter is the only unique-abilities Persona whose unique abilities are actually good, and I understand everyone loves Yoshitsune although I haven't made one myself.

Is it easier to get all the S.Links maxed towards the end of the game? I heard there is about a month of extra time in P4, I'm kinda worried because I'm at Nov 7th and tower (not even started), temperance is at 1, moon is at 3, and strength is at 5, don't even get me started on hermit (3). how much time can I make up?

TChirath

Neo Member
octopusman said:
Is it easier to get all the S.Links maxed towards the end of the game? I heard there is about a month of extra time in P4, I'm kinda worried because I'm at Nov 7th and tower (not even started), temperance is at 1, moon is at 3, and strength is at 5, don't even get me started on hermit (3). how much time can I make up?

It's definitely tough, but it MAY be possible. I know maxing Tower is definitely possible especially if you already maxed devil. Tower is not in conflict with any other S.link since it's in the evening.

Hermit is also definitely possible. It will also help if you max it, so that the shrine function will be available which can be used to increase other s.link points on the days those s.links may not be available.

Monday - Temperance
Tuesday - Strength
Wednesday - Moon
Thursday - Strength (until max then Moon)
Friday - Temperance
Saturday - Temperance
Sunday + Rainy days - Hermit

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
octopusman said:
I was about the same, and in the end I couldn't max them all even though I squeezed every day. No tower at all either.
You can get the true ending even without all s.link maxed, so don't worry too much. Just focus on your party for combat benefits, fox included.

Red Scarlet

I don't think I'm going to make it either, even if I went with Moon every time I saw her, she'd only be like level 5. I think mine right now (9/21) are at:

Fool: 7
Magician: 10
Priestess: 10
Empress: 9
Emperor: 5 or 6?
Hierophant: 10
Lovers: 3
Chariot: 6
Justice: 10
Hermit: 8
Fortune: 0
Strength: 10
Hanged: 1
Death: 6-8?
Temperance: 6
Devil: 10
Tower: 1
Star: 5?
Moon: 2
Sun: 10
Judgement: 0

I don't think I'm going to be able to get Hanged/Moon/Lovers all the way up.

Getting all of them in a single playthrough without a FAQ would be pretty challenging. I managed to max all but two (Death and Hanged Man, both of which I didn't even start) but that's with picking the right answers 100% of the time, managing my Personas such that I had the right card 100% of the time, and saving and resetting about four or five times in December in order to squeeze out my last three (Sun, Moon, and Temperance) -- and even then I only managed to do it on
12/21, the last day possible if I wanted to get a Christmas date

Red Scarlet

I'm hoping to get them all after doing the bad ending once, but if I don't get them all up the 2nd time, then it's time to browse a daily planner the 3rd time, like I did with P3.

Hobbun

Duck Amuck said:
[*]You have a finite amount of days one can clear a dungeon. If you are unable to slay the boss in x amount of days the game is instantly over. You can go back a week before you fight the boss to prepare better, creating a better battle plan along the way.

Hmm, not sure I like that. So when you say you can go back a week, it lets you pick to go back a week or do you mean you had to set up a save file a week earlier?

Duck Amuck said:
[*]No more Fuuka.

Well, as you concentrated on no more Fuuka, does that mean there are other returning characters? I thought it was a completely new set of characters anyways, but that would be cool if we saw returning ones. :)

finally beat it at around 105 hours (almost 20 of those I left the game idle or auto-grinding) and at level 82 the final boss was a joke compared to other bosses and even regular enemies, I only used two different personas with the MC and never even needed to heal my sp

MC: debilitate > matarukaja > power charge > severe phys
Yosuke: Garudyne
Yukiko: Agidyne/Mediarama
Chie: power charge > severe phys

also, was anyone actually fooled by
Naoko? I was spoiled or anything, but as soon as she spoke I knew she had to be a girl, specially with Kanji being so awkward around her, I guess in the japanese version romi paku makes her sound a lot more manly, so I guess they could have fooled some people.

ah, did anyone else notice that the shoes she wears have high heels?

and what's with Yosuke saying the MC was talented with his hands? what happened during that campout?:lol

lastendconductor

..pakbeka.. said:
MC: debilitate > matarukaja > power charge > severe phys
Yosuke: Garudyne
Yukiko: Agidyne/Mediarama
Chie: power charge > severe phys
That's exactly what I did, except I used masukukaja with yosuke too for maxium dodge :D

..pakbeka.. said:
also, was anyone actually fooled by
Naoko? I was spoiled or anything, but as soon as she spoke I knew she had to be a girl, specially with Kanji being so awkward around her, I guess in the japanese version romi paku makes her sound a lot more manly, so I guess they could have fooled some people.
Naoto? yes I actually thought she was a guy, a girlish pretty guy, so I was as confused as Kanji :lol. But when she appeared in the midnight channel and talked about the "operation" it was too evident she was a girl crossdressing. Which is also extremely hot :D~
But not as hot as Teddie in that contest :lol

Red Scarlet

Hobbun said:
Hmm, not sure I like that. So when you say you can go back a week, it lets you pick to go back a week or do you mean you had to set up a save file a week earlier?

It doesn't have a countdown to the day you go and beat the boss, but the game gives you about 2 weeks worth of days to choose when you go in, it says "the fog will set in after several days of rain", you can look at weather reports every day and you see the weather for the upcoming week when you get to a new day, so you just look for 2 or 3 days in a row of rain and you will know when the deadline is. I just usually go the first day the dungeon is unlocked or the first rainy day. I chose to see one character die, and it sets you back a week from the final day you can rescue the person or you can choose to load up a previous save. It really is not a difficult thing to know when you HAVE to go save the person.

Hobbun said:
Well, as you concentrated on no more Fuuka, does that mean there are other returning characters? I thought it was a completely new set of characters anyways, but that would be cool if we saw returning ones. :)

There's at least one returning character in a cameo appearance as well as a few locations from P3. If you are curious as to who it is: http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/p4036.png

Red Scarlet said:
It doesn't have a countdown to the day you go and beat the boss, but the game gives you about 2 weeks worth of days to choose when you go in, it says "the fog will set in after several days of rain", you can look at weather reports every day and you see the weather for the upcoming week when you get to a new day, so you just look for 2 or 3 days in a row of rain and you will know when the deadline is. I just usually go the first day the dungeon is unlocked or the first rainy day. I chose to see one character die, and it sets you back a week from the final day you can rescue the person or you can choose to load up a previous save. It really is not a difficult thing to know when you HAVE to go save the person.

There's at least one returning character in a cameo appearance as well as a few locations from P3. If you are curious as to who it is: http://redscarlet.paragonsigma.com/p4036.png
she was always one of my favorite characters from p3.

Hobbun

Red Scarlet said:

Oh, ok, that works. I was just wondering if I needed to always have a save file set for a week before I may die just so I have time to level up if I need to. It's kind of good it does it on it's own. I am guessing that any S. Links/attributes you build up in that week need to be redone? Otherwise it would be a way to break the game.

Red Scarlet said:

Ok, thanks. :)

I am actually playing P3: FES right now and am really enjoying it. I actually got all the way to August and decided to start over because I really screwed up on raising my attributes (Knowledge, Courage, Charm). There will be some frustrating boss battles to redo, but now that I understand fusion a lot better going in, it will be a bit easier (I was completely lost on the ins and outs of fusion the first time through).

Red Scarlet

Hobbun said:
Oh, ok, that works. I was just wondering if I needed to always have a save file set for a week before I may die just so I have time to level up if I need to. It's kind of good it does it on it's own. I am guessing that any S. Links/attributes you build up in that week need to be redone? Otherwise it would be a way to break the game.

Ok, thanks. :)

I am actually playing P3: FES right now and am really enjoying it. I actually got all the way to August and decided to start over because I really screwed up on raising my attributes (Knowledge, Courage, Charm). There will be some frustrating boss battles to redo, but now that I understand fusion a lot better going in, it will be a bit easier (I was completely lost on the ins and outs of fusion the first time through).

I don't know if you keep your $/xp/fuses/stats/s-links, probably not. Yeah, I started over on this (I'm 3 days ahead of my first play right now), and I'm doing a bit better with fuses.

Speaking of, I don't know what to get rid of, help me:
p4059.png

I mean, Elec Amp is +50% elec damage, and I don't really have any lightning Personas aside from some with Zio. Deathbound is not as good as Godhand, which I have on some Personas, but Power Charge would make Deathbound better or let me switch to a Persona with Godhand. I think I have one with Power Charge and Godhand though. I don't really need the full heal spell on that Persona due to Enduring Soul (and Daisoujou has full heal to everyone spell). Then again, Daisoujou has Amrita too, but I'd like to put it on that guy too. So I'm debating between getting rid of Power Charge, Elec Amp, and Diarahan..kind of leaning more towards Power Charge. I was going for Cool Breeze+Repel Physical + Megido or Megidolaon, but it took about 45 mins to just get Cool Breeze+Repel Phys.

Hobbun

Red Scarlet said:
I don't know if you keep your $/xp/fuses/stats/s-links, probably not. Yeah, I started over on this (I'm 3 days ahead of my first play right now), and I'm doing a bit better with fuses.

It's not like it's a big deal if they do reset everything. I would be surprised if they didn't, to be honest.

I also heard that in P4 you lose a time of the day where you can do something. Like in P3, you basically have After School, Evening and then Late Night (where you can only study).

But I hear for P4 that once you go home from your after school activity, that's it. No Evening time. That has to make it hard to work on the attributes as what I do for P3 is work on my S. Links after school and then in the evening, go to the cafe/Karaoke/video game parlor to work on my attributes.

Red Scarlet

Hobbun said:
It's not like it's a big deal if they do reset everything. I would be surprised if they didn't, to be honest.

I also heard that in P4 you lose a time of the day where you can do something. Like in P3, you basically have After School, Evening and then Late Night (where you can only study).

But I hear for P4 that once you go home from your after school activity, that's it. No Evening time. That has to make it hard to work on the attributes as what I do for P3 is work on my S. Links after school and then in the evening, go to the cafe/Karaoke/video game parlor to work on my attributes.

Nope, the only times you lose 'nighttime time' is if you go to the dungeon that afternoon, or there's some story event that night. After doing an S. Link during the day, you come back home. You can do night S-Links if they are available that day (and they give stat boosts usually as well as free money), you can sometimes eat something in the fridge, go fishing, sometimes fix lunch for the next day, or you can go up to your room to study, read books or sometimes make a model (for other stats), or go to sleep early to I guess maybe get a free S-Link bonus. On the nights where you can't go out like when you have to watch the TV that night, you can sometimes be lucky and find something to eat in the fridge for a free Courage boost and still do the storyline thing with the TV.

Well, re-reading it, yeah there is not a Late Night between study/sleep. But you can sometimes get multiple Knowledge bonuses if you choose to study in the evening.

I got rid of Power Charge, although I still kind of maybe should have gotten rid of the heal spell. Oh well.

Red Scarlet said:
Nope, the only times you lose 'nighttime time' is if you go to the dungeon that afternoon, or there's some story event that night. After doing an S. Link during the day, you come back home. You can do night S-Links if they are available that day (and they give stat boosts usually as well as free money), you can sometimes eat something in the fridge, go fishing, sometimes fix lunch for the next day, or you can go up to your room to study, read books or sometimes make a model (for other stats), or go to sleep early to I guess maybe get a free S-Link bonus. On the nights where you can't go out like when you have to watch the TV that night, you can sometimes be lucky and find something to eat in the fridge for a free Courage boost and still do the storyline thing with the TV.

Well, re-reading it, yeah there is not a Late Night between study/sleep. But you can sometimes get multiple Knowledge bonuses if you choose to study in the evening.

I got rid of Power Charge, although I still kind of maybe should have gotten rid of the heal spell. Oh well.
Yeah, I'd have ditched Amrita/Cool Breeze, myself. Cool Breeze is a boon in dungeon crawling, but I had to hold back from sticking it on every persona I fused afterwards, eheh. Only need 1, after all.

Which persona naturally gets Cool Breeze? My MC is at lvl 61 now, but still haven't found anyone with Cool Breeze.

Also, is it me or are the bosses getting easier as you play? I just beat
heaven's boss
with my MC at 61, everyone a few levels below. The only difficulty was not wasting all the MC's sp during the first half of the fight.

Tamanon

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Which persona naturally gets Cool Breeze? My MC is at lvl 61 now, but still haven't found anyone with Cool Breeze.

heaven's boss
with my MC at 61, everyone a few levels below. The only difficulty was not wasting all the MC's sp during the first half of the fight.

Pazuzu gets Cool Breeze. I know I saw it on a couple other ones in the 50s.

lastendconductor

nakedsushi said:

heaven's boss
Well, I can only talk about myself but that felt like the hardest boss in the game by a pretty large margin. He absolutely destroyed me a couple of times, and when I finally won, I did by using lots of expendables and finishing the fight with a hair of hp and sp. After him everything was a cakewalk though.

Red Scarlet

RocketDarkness said:
Yeah, I'd have ditched Amrita/Cool Breeze, myself. Cool Breeze is a boon in dungeon crawling, but I had to hold back from sticking it on every persona I fused afterwards, eheh. Only need 1, after all.

Well, I mean my Succubus has it already, but she also has Invigorate 3 + Spirit Drain and Megidolaon, so she's my über MP-restorer with those skills, and with Tam Lin having it too, along with Repel Phys, he's pretty much the physical MP restorer for me right now (HOLD TRIANGLE, etc).

nakedsushi said:

I didn't know Pazuzu gets it, but I got it on this guy, it was his last learned ability (plus Sun was maxed when I got him) and he gets Growth 2 naturally (I fused him for my MP Succubus):

p4060.png

You probably have him already if you are doing Margaret's requests

Wilsongt

I must be one of the only people who didn't fuse a Trumpeter nor did I fuse Yoshitsune. I stuck with Melchizedek during the final boss, and briefly switched to Horus for some stupid reason, and then back to Melchi.

So I watched a Persona 4 clip on YouTube earlier - why didn't anyone tell me how awesome the soundtrack is?

Totally sold me on the game (okay the gameplay footage helped too - I haven't played an awesome JRPG in years)... and will be my first Persona since the first back in... '97?
But yeah, looking forward to buying this tomorrow!

White Man

I am still having trouble with the last boss. The problem is Yukiko. I am using her, Teddie, and Yosuke. I didn't max Yukiko's social link, so she tends to get critted a lot, and in the last fight, that kinda often equals death.

Also I want a trumpeter but I am missing some of the Personamon I need to fuse them. I need a taowu and pabilsag, and I think I m even missing things I need to fuse them :(

White Man said:
I am still having trouble with the last boss. The problem is Yukiko. I am using her, Teddie, and Yosuke. I didn't max Yukiko's social link, so she tends to get critted a lot, and in the last fight, that kinda often equals death.

Do you really need two healers on top of the MC?

Also I want a trumpeter but I am missing some of the Personamon I need to fuse them. I need a taowu and pabilsag, and I think I m even missing things I need to fuse them :(

Especially if you're short on cash, it might be faster to just pick one up from Shuffle Time. Pabilsag I think drops in the upper floors of the
Heaven
dungeon, and Taotie from something like the
Strip Club
. Taowu you'll probably just have to fuse yourself though.

Red Scarlet

White Man said:

Here's how I figured out how to make them with abilities I want to put on Trumpeter:

Pabilsag with Null Wind = Sarasvati + Ganga + Parvati = Kikuri Hime + Raphael
Taowu with Repel Physical/Mind Charge/Absorb Fire = Rangda + Cu Chulainn

Am I too far behind to get all the S-Links maxed? I'm at 10/4. Here's my current levels of S-Links:

Fool: 7
Magician: 10
Priestess: 10
Empress: 9
Emperor: 10
Hierophant: 10
Lovers: 3 (will go up to 4 next time spent)
Chariot: 8 (just went up)
Justice: 10
Hermit: 9 (did the ema request, says other things need to happen first)
Fortune: 0
Strength: 10
Hanged: 1 (will go up next time spent)
Death: 10
Temperance: 8 (will take I think 3 meetings to get up to 9)
Devil: 10
Tower: 6 (as of tonight)
Star: 5
Moon: 2 (will go up next time spent)
Sun: 10
Judgement: 0

I pretty much spent time with a link if it would go up to the next level, if it wouldn't I would find another one that day to get that one up a level, but I had a hard time meeting up with Hanged and Moon for crap and just went to other ones instead to try getting them maxed out. I don't think I have enough days? Don't know. Could someone spoiler tag the date of the bad ending? That would make the choice really easy if it is fixing to come up soon.

noi5e

Red Scarlet said:
Could someone spoiler tag the date of the bad ending? That would make the choice really easy if it is fixing to come up soon.

Dec. 5
. There's a bunch of mandatory events a couple days beforehand (no S-Links), so you should save on the second or third. If I were you I'd
get Lovers out of the way since team S-Links virtually end before December.

charlequin said:

In some cases, that's the only way I got by on Expert!

noi5e said:
Dec. 5
. There's a bunch of mandatory events a couple days beforehand (no S-Links), so you should save on the second or third. If I were you I'd
get Lovers out of the way since team S-Links virtually end before December.

In some cases, that's the only way I got by on Expert!
They aren't as common in December, but they're definitely there. I'm counting 4 more meeting opportunities post-
Dec 5th
for Lovers.

Also, Red, regarding Hermit 10: You need to max
Expression
, then just go back once more.

Red Scarlet

Well, I'll have to see how far away I am on that date then, but I'm probably going to have to go the bad route and do New Game+ and try to get them on that play.

Red Scarlet said:
Well, I'll have to see how far away I am on that date then, but I'm probably going to have to go the bad route and do New Game+ and try to get them on that play.
Nononono, don't do the bad route. You miss so much story, you'll have to avoid spoilers even LONGER. Honestly, the good route isn't that long (2 dungeons), I'd say it's worth pursuing even if you don't max S. Links.

Red Scarlet

That's how I did P3, and that's how I decided I would do P4 before I opened it. All S-Links maxed or bad ending. Plus it makes the S-Links I didn't max something to look forward to (Rise!) and not knowing what comes after that date is something to look forward to. If I went through all the way, the 'drive' to re-do it right away would not be there. That's how I roll with these games.

White Man

charlequin said:

I could probably do with just one (Teddie, since his weakness has been eliminated), but Teddie is also my hard hitting magic user, so he's not actually being used as a healer often.

My two options for replacing Yukiko are Kanji and Chie (both have S.Links up to 10). Would one be better than the other?

White Man said:
I could probably do with just one (Teddie, since his weakness has been eliminated), but Teddie is also my hard hitting magic user, so he's not actually being used as a healer often.

My two options for replacing Yukiko are Kanji and Chie (both have S.Links up to 10). Would one be better than the other?
Kanji's elec break comes in handy, plus he has primal force.

firex

White Man said:

as far as I remember you have to fuse a taowu yourself, or maybe that's a taotie to make a taowu. Either way, I had to fuse the Tower guy for my Trumpeter because none of the Tower arcana ever appear in shuffle time, but the easiest way to do this is cross reference what level the Tower guy you need is with a persona list off gamefaqs, and then figure out a normal/triple spread fusion that creates Tower types and either get the right level range for the one you need or make some higher level ones and then fuse them down via normal spread (fusing 2 of the same arcana via normal spread will give you the same arcana, but a lower "rank" i.e. the one that starts out lower level than your lowest level half of the normal fusion pair).

oh, and if you're going to replace Yukiko, I'd replace her with Chie. She'll give you a much needed offensive boost.

Red Scarlet said:
That's how I did P3, and that's how I decided I would do P4 before I opened it. All S-Links maxed or bad ending. Plus it makes the S-Links I didn't max something to look forward to (Rise!) and not knowing what comes after that date is something to look forward to. If I went through all the way, the 'drive' to re-do it right away would not be there. That's how I roll with these games.

*high five*

White Man

I think I might take a break from Persona before I try to do P3Fes. Maybe I can finally go back and do DDS or finish off Nocturne.

White Man

Red Scarlet said:
Make Taowu with Repel Phys like up in an earlier post I posed earlier.

I will. It was actually Taotie I needed, but if I can get a better Taowu that easily, why not?

Since I maxed out Rise, I can pretty much stay in dungeons indefinitely, since each character rarely has to cast more than one spell per battle.

White Man said:
I think I might take a break from Persona before I try to do P3Fes. Maybe I can finally go back and do DDS or finish off Nocturne.
That may be wise. I'm playing FES now and it feels rather dated compared to P4.

Red Scarlet

White Man said:
I will. It was actually Taotie I needed, but if I can get a better Taowu that easily, why not?

Since I maxed out Rise, I can pretty much stay in dungeons indefinitely, since each character rarely has to cast more than one spell per battle.

I don't remember how I made Taotie..I did use him for my Alraune though (Megido+Recarm).

Hobbun

ninj4junpei said:
That may be wise. I'm playing FES now and it feels rather dated compared to P4.

That's why I am playing FES first, as I hear from just about everyone that P4 is a lot better.

Want to play the 'lesser' game first. Although I will say I am really loving FES so far. This is my first Persona game.

Top Bottom