• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Red Scarlet said:
Well, I still want to make Gabriel with Repel Physical and Null Dark, but I think I have my real heal-type Persona.

p4054.png

Not too bad! Full single heal/revive+full heal/cure all status/Light 4 Me/reflect.
that's a pretty good quality screen cap, compared to the others. using a new program?

Also someone motivate me to finish this.

Red Scarlet

Error said:
that's a pretty good quality screen cap, compared to the others. using a new program?

Also someone motivate me to finish this.

I left my PS2 at home, so I'm using PCSX2 (which required me to start the game over), which is pretty laggy.

Wait, mister BUY P3 hasn't gone through this? Put down WoW.

Error

I think I'm pretty burned out on the whole formula. P3-P3Fes-P4 in less than 2 years... Yeah.

haha, I haven't played WoW since my trial expired.

Error

You started over?! I'm in November, doing that month's dungeon.

I saw you were interested in getting Devil Summoner 2... It's pretty different from P3-P4, but I guess that Raiho plushie is just too hard to resist :p

You think I can convince you into getting a 360 for FFXIII? I'm betting on me

Red Scarlet

Error said:
You started over?! I'm in November, doing that month's dungeon.

I saw you were interested in getting Devil Summoner 2... It's pretty different from P3-P4, but I guess that Raiho plushie is just too hard to resist :p

You think I can convince you into getting a 360 for FFXIII? I'm betting on me

I had to, I don't have a PS2 memory card slot in my computer.

No. But I do have an Xbox now. It's broken and someone threw it away.

Error

haha, what's a broken xbox good for? maybe to hold the door.

Did you ever get Nocturne?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
firex said:
"mark" accessories will give you SP regen.
Oh that was it, I used Mage's Mark, not Mask.
It was the Invigorate 1 equivalent, but it piled up with whatever invigorate you had.
The half SP accesory was called Chakra something I think... 20 sp salvations ftw

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I really need to start paying attention to all those skills like "Invigorate" andother various stat affecting skills (whether it be increasing defense or whatever), something I rarely do :O

lastendconductor

ItsInMyVeins said:
I really need to start paying attention to all those skills like "Invigorate" andother various stat affecting skills (whether it be increasing defense or whatever), something I rarely do :O
Invigorate doesn't affect your stats, it replenishes your SP. But the stat affecting skills are very useful in boss fights, specially the agility ones.
I obliterated the last bosses thanks to Debilitate + Masukukaja.

itsinmyveins

DKnight said:
Invigorate doesn't affect your stats, it replenishes your SP. But the stat affecting skills are very useful in boss fights, specially the agility ones.
I obliterated the last bosses thanks to Debilitate + Masukukaja.

I know, I read that above, what I mean is that I don't use skills that could be classified as some kind of support other than maybe the obvious Patra/Healing skills.

It's like with some of the accessories that give you +3 in endurance, strength or etc. I'm just thinking "that sounds low" and equip something else.

lastendconductor

Oh yeah, the stat accessories kinda suck. This was my accessory setup for all the game
Me: Falcon Eye(physical evasion) -> Mage's Mark(invigorate)
Yosuke: Thunder Eye(elec evasion) -> Wind Wov(+ wind damage)
Chie: something that increased counterattack i think -> Omega Drive (increases critical rate)
Yukiko: something that reduced ice damage -> Chakra Ring(half sp)
Kanji: Amateratsu Fob (+ hp)
Teddie: Blessed Hands (healing +50%?)
Naoto: Moon Poutpurri(+ sp)

Yosuke dodged almost all electricity attacks, Chie was criting more than half of the time, Yukiko healed for cheap, Kanji had loads of HP(roughly 200-300 more than everyone at the end), Teddie's Mediarama was basically Mediarahan and Naoto could spam a lot more of Mamudoons (with Rise's SP regen, the aftermath was 10 sp per Mamudoon).

itsinmyveins

There's one thing I've been wondering about: how much time should I spend fishing? I've only done that twice so far. Are the items you get there worth it?

Ourobolus

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
There's one thing I've been wondering about: how much time should I spend fishing? I've only done that twice so far. Are the items you get there worth it?
I didn't find fishing to be all that useful, save for the
last Hermit S.Link quest
. You can get chest keys from fishing, though...I think.

lastendconductor

You need a certain fish to fulfill a fox request, besides that I'd say it's pretty useless and a waste of time. But I didn't really catch any rare fish, so maybe there's some good stuff there.

itsinmyveins

Oh, by the way, how long is this game compared to P3? I've heard a lot about 70h+, but right now I'm just about to start the second exams (around 45h in) and
when meeting Igor in a dream and he grants you the power to fuse four personas, Igor says something about my journey coming close to an end or something like that?

Ourobolus

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Oh, by the way, how long is this game compared to P3? I've heard a lot about 70h+, but right now I'm just about to start the second exams (around 45h in) and
when meeting Igor in a dream and he grants you the power to fuse four personas, Igor says something about my journey coming close to an end or something like that?
70 is a close enough number. I'd put it at shorter than P3, but not by much.

lastendconductor

The game lasts exactly (I think they say this at the start of the game, but I'll spoiler it just in case)
1 year, from spring to spring
I clocked 100h I think.

itsinmyveins

DKnight said:
The game lasts exactly (I think they say this at the start of the game, but I'll spoiler it just in case)
I clocked 100h I think.

Now that you mention it I think I recall that. Then there's a whole bunch of months left for me in the game. I was worried that it'd end around summer since Igor said it was soon over, but man, then I'm not even half way through the game.

itsinmyveins

Am I the only one who gets annoyed when enemies lays balzacs on your characters? I don't know if it's the name or the status it gives which annoys me the most :/

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
ItsInMyVeins said:

I finished P3 in 74 hours and P4 in 77 hours.

DKnight said:
I clocked 100h I think.

Thats some misinformation right there. The cut off point for the game before enforced date skipping is the 24th December, but you can get a cool Christmas event with friends of your choosing if you finish before then.

lastendconductor

SecretBonusPoint said:
Thats some misinformation right there. The cut off point for the game before enforced date skipping is the 24th December, but you can get a cool Christmas event with friends of your choosing if you finish before then.
Well, a year it's a year, even if you
don't get to play a couple months
! I didn't want to spoil anything so I just parroted what the game tells you, which is pretty accurate and should help making an approximated idea of how long is the game.

Fuck the stupid Fox and his S.Link requests. I'm stuck at level 9 and I can't seem to catch a Huge Fish for the life of me. Not to mention that I'll somehow have to catch an even rarer one after that. Any tips? I've already tried fishing on rainy days, cloudy days, at night, etc. but all I seem to get are Inaba Trout and Genji Ayu (I think that's the name of them).

baphometbones said:
Fuck the stupid Fox and his S.Link requests. I'm stuck at level 9 and I can't seem to catch a Huge Fish for the life of me. Not to mention that I'll somehow have to catch an even rarer one after that. Any tips? I've already tried fishing on rainy days, cloudy days, at night, etc. but all I seem to get are Inaba Trout and Genji Ayu (I think that's the name of them).

i bought one on a sunday to so i wouldnt have to worry about it. however, you may have already passed the sunday it is on sale.

if you fish on rainy days in the evening you will be likely to catch a large fish. save before you go out and you can restart until you get the fish you need.

fishing is a good source of items but it is much better the second playthrough when your diligence is maxed.

don't discount fishing.

KibblesBits said:
if you fish on rainy days in the evening you will be likely to catch a large fish. save before you go out and you can restart until you get the fish you need.

fishing is a good source of items but it is much better the second playthrough when your diligence is maxed.

don't discount fishing.

Thanks. I didn't think to just save and reload. Gonna try that next rainy night.

Thanks to Persona 4, I've taken much more interest in the SMT games, despite having owned P3 for a while. I started up Nocturne, but the controls were too jarring. So, looks like I'm going to play P3FES instead and actually beat it this time. >_>

White Man said:
At level 81. Just fused beelzebub. What other late game personas are awesome?
I assume you already made Trumpeter. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to grind high enough to get anything much better than Beelzebub. I hear Lucifer is supposed to be good.

Red Scarlet

Has anybody made a Null/Absorb/Repel everything Trumpeter? I think I'm almost there with his 'ingredients', but I don't know what abilities he actually learns on his own.

TChirath

Neo Member
White Man said:
At level 81. Just fused beelzebub. What other late game personas are awesome?

Assuming you will be transfering skills across personas, the best "canvas" personas are Yushitsune, Beelzebub, Helel, and Trumpeter due to their natural resistances.

I'm quite disappointed with most other late game personas compared to P3. They only serve as skill transferers for me. (i.e. Shiva, Lucifer, Vishnu, Asura)

Here's the list of the ultimate persona stock in my opinion:

1. Yoshitsune (physical)
2. Beelzebub (4 ma-dyne)
3. Trumpeter (buff/debuff)
4. Helel (whatever you want him to be. I gave him spell master, absorb ice, absorb electric, and victory cry then kept repel wind, salvation, morning star, and insta-heal)
5. Surt (fire)
6. Odin (wind)
7. Thor (lightning)
8. Loki (ice)
9. Daisoujou (light)
10. Alice (dark)
11. White rider (6-element single target)

Just get rid of their weaknesses, take care of light/dark resistance, and slap on any other high-end skills that you want.

TChirath

Neo Member
Red Scarlet said:
Has anybody made a Null/Absorb/Repel everything Trumpeter? I think I'm almost there with his 'ingredients', but I don't know what abilities he actually learns on his own.

You only need null physical/null elec/null dark to make him immune. He learns Megidola, Ziodyne, Elec Amp, Marakukaja, Cool Breeze, Megidoloan, Debilitate, and Heat riser.

Red Scarlet

TChirath said:
You only need null physical/null elec/null dark to make him immune. He learns Megidola, Ziodyne, Elec Amp, Marakukaja, Cool Breeze, Megidoloan, Debilitate, and Heat riser.

Weird, my Trumpeter needs something on Physical/Fire/Wind and comes with Drain Ice, Repel Elec, Repel Light, Null Dark naturally.

p4055.png

TChirath

Neo Member
Red Scarlet said:
Weird, my Trumpeter needs something on Physical/Fire/Wind and comes with Drain Ice, Repel Elec, Repel Light, Null Dark naturally.

p4055.png

You are right. I made a mistake on the resistances. Happy fusing :)

RedBoot

The only potential downside to using Trumpeter is that (true ending boss spoilers)
the final boss absorbs electricity, so if she hits you with a Zio spell it's going to reflect and heal her.
Still, that's a pretty minor downside (only happened to me once), especially since Debilitate is pretty much the "I Win" button in this game.

RedBoot said:
The only potential downside to using Trumpeter is that (true ending boss spoilers)
the final boss absorbs electricity, so if she hits you with a Zio spell it's going to reflect and heal her.
Still, that's a pretty minor downside (only happened to me once), especially since Debilitate is pretty much the "I Win" button in this game.
That's why Kanji comes in handy with his
elec break.

starblade

Finally got my PS3 back, and in a matter of a few days have managed to clock more than 25 hours in Persona 4 (with school and a kid to boot). I've played every Megaten incarnation to grace our shores and this is quite possibly the most enjoyable one so far. Will be hard to top Nocturne, but if it manages to keep this pace and palpable tenacity then it would be cemented for me.

Red Scarlet

Ahhh damn, finally using the other party members again and Cool Breeze is only restoring 8% HP/SP to main guy, not everyone. Lame. :(

maybe this is because I'm playing on beginner difficulty, but near the end, the game become very easy imo, I don't even have to fusing special persona or anything like that, I just brought what I have with me and win on my first try.

near the end, fox healing is cheap, and by the time Rise got her last ability, sp is never an issue anymore. I want to start a new cycle in normal difficulty, but I still have Valkyra chronicles I haven't beat. so maybe I'll do it later. some one told me beginner is basically the same difficulty with Normal just without the continue. don't know if it's true or not.

TChirath

Neo Member
Red Scarlet said:
Ahhh damn, finally using the other party members again and Cool Breeze is only restoring 8% HP/SP to main guy, not everyone. Lame. :(

Yeah.. same as victory cry :/ Good thing you only need the MC to take care of regular battles by himself. Party members are probably neccessary on some bosses, but having cool breeze and victory cry are kinda mute for boss fights.

Yaweee

Callibretto said:
maybe this is because I'm playing on beginner difficulty, but near the end, the game become very easy imo, I don't even have to fusing special persona or anything like that, I just brought what I have with me and win on my first try.

near the end, fox healing is cheap, and by the time Rise got her last ability, sp is never an issue anymore. I want to start a new cycle in normal difficulty, but I still have Valkyra chronicles I haven't beat. so maybe I'll do it later. some one told me beginner is basically the same difficulty with Normal just without the continue. don't know if it's true or not.

The first half is definitely much more difficult than the back end, even on Expert. The boss fights are better designed, SP is more (or any kind) of an issue, and you don't have access to the all-hit insta-kill spells that completely trivialize regular encounters. Trumpeter is more than enough for all the last bosses, despite that it doesn't require an S. Link, is relatively low level, and kind of gets forced onto you by a Margaret request.

I'm not sure I even got Rise's last ability. What level does it come at?

Beginner is the same as normal except for the continues, so if you want a step up, you have to go for expert.

ramus

Neo Member
Red Scarlet said:
I managed to pass on 3 repels to cover the non-nulled elements. Took me several hours of reselecting, it won't be any fun. (Amusingly, I gave up in the middle and re-fused new ingredients with some Nulls but still managed to get all the Repels in the end.)

Top Bottom