• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Hobbun

lucablight said:
The story of Persona 3 is sadly underwhelming compared to Persona 4

Well, that is good to hear, from my perspective. As I have enjoyed the story of Persona 3 so far, especially how the characters have been developed.

does anyone know the name of the persona 3 song that plays in the club when your party visits Port Island? you know, when they play the King's game

White Man said:
Yay! Finally got him. Debilitate is basically the win button.

Oh yeah it is. With Debilitate, Heat Riser, and Mind Charge I was doing like ~1000 damage a shot to the final boss.

lucablight said:

I think they each have their own benefits. P3 actually has, like, a plot and supporting characters and a big elaborate backstory to what's going on, in a way that P4 doesn't, really... On the other hand, P4's character relationships are far better developed and I felt much more attached to Inaba as a place.

jasonng

Ugggggggggghh

Regarding the True Ending boss:

I was completely staying on top of my game with Yukiko, Yosuke, and Teddie. Teddie's on buffs and heals, Yukiko mainly for throwing massive fire bombs with the occasional heals, my MC lowering boss's defense and just plainly surviving attacks with high endurance personas, and Yosuke attacking and throwing items wherever needed.

Complete solid plan because I didn't run into any problems until the very end. Judging from the boss's health, I was one turn of full on attacks left before winning when she decided to do a Mind Charge. Not taking chances, I buff up defense had everyone's health topped off and deal with damage control after her attack. Little did I know she did a World's End attack along with another attack that completely wiped my team.

So close, dammit. SO. GODDAMN. CLOSE.

Hobbun

I know this technically is not the right thread but I did a search on this and didn't find anything (and I can't make my own threads yet), but is there any word on a Persona 5? I heard that P4 has sold the best so far on all of the Persona games so far, so I would hope so. I just want to hear confirmation! :D

Hobbun

charlequin said:
I think they each have their own benefits. P3 actually has, like, a plot and supporting characters and a big elaborate backstory to what's going on, in a way that P4 doesn't, really... On the other hand, P4's character relationships are far better developed and I felt much more attached to Inaba as a place.

Oh, that kind of sucks about P4's plot and backstory, that it isn't as strong as P3's. I thought the plot was supposed to be better, from what I had heard? But I am glad to hear at least the characterization is better. Not that I don't like P3's characterization, but having better characterization is always a good thing.

TChirath

Neo Member
Hobbun said:
Oh, that kind of sucks about P4's plot and backstory, that it isn't as strong as P3's. I thought the plot was supposed to be better, from what I had heard? But I am glad to hear at least the characterization is better. Not that I don't like P3's characterization, but having better characterization is always a good thing.

I wouldn't go as far as saying P3 story is "better". To me P3 story is bigger and more complex, but P4 story is more relevant. The plot in P4 directly affects your character and party members, whereas in P3 it's like having unknown bigger thing at work that you can't control.

White Man

Hobbun said:
I know this technically is not the right thread but I did a search on this and didn't find anything (and I can't make my own threads yet), but is there any word on a Persona 5? I heard that P4 has sold the best so far on all of the Persona games so far, so I would hope so. I just want to hear confirmation! :D

Not yet. At this point, I'd kinda rather they took some time off from the series and made it all new again, like P3 ws when it came out. As much as I love P4, it really is kinda Persona 3.5. Plus I want the people that make Persona to go and work on SMT4, plz plz plz.

Hobbun

White Man said:
Not yet. At this point, I'd kinda rather they took some time off from the series and made it all new again, like P3 ws when it came out. As much as I love P4, it really is kinda Persona 3.5. Plus I want the people that make Persona to go and work on SMT4, plz plz plz.

Ok, thanks.

Well, I am one who has the viewpoint of don't mess with a successful formula. And both P3 and P4 have been successful for Atlus. Also, if P4 is very similar to P3, I won't complain as I am really enjoying P3.

I am just afraid if they 'make it all new again', then they will turn it into something I don't enjoy. Like change the combat system drastically, or something along those lines.

The one thing I'd like to see change the most is the Highschool setting, which seems the one thing the dev team probably won't do.

I'd like to see the main 'school' portion be replaced with say a big retail chain the MC works at for a gap year, S.Links with your fellow workers, your asshole boss and customers. It'd be an interesting change I think. But I imagine the high school setting definitely has a lot to do with its success in Japan.

Hobbun

noi5e said:
Even college would be a great improvement. Disgruntled professors, foreign exchange students.

Yes, I think that would be pretty good as well. I think the retail idea could be pretty damn funny, also.

SMT4 is going to happen before Persona 5, and I'd expect to see pretty big changes show up in the latter title when it hits (although I'm sure the calendar year and S-Link aspects will remain.)

Hobbun

charlequin said:
SMT4 is going to happen before Persona 5, and I'd expect to see pretty big changes show up in the latter title when it hits (although I'm sure the calendar year and S-Link aspects will remain.)

Well, I hope not too much. As I said, I am one who has the viewpoint of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." I do hope they continue to keep turn-based combat with the SMT and Persona games, for one.

Yaweee

lucablight said:

Charlequin's basically right that it depends how you break down and define story versus plot and character arcs. However, I'd still say P4 has my favorite story of the SMT series. Yeah, it has it's problems, but I've never been so captivated by a game as I was after the ending branch-points.

-

For P5... there's a lot of directions it could go. If they do keep the S. Link systems, I'd prefer something other High School, or a focus on a different era (students just after WW2 would be interesting, or a group of workers in a commercial district).

Personally, I'd rather see them ditch the calendar system. Like I said, P4 has one of my favorite stories of any RPG, but I would have preferred for the story to not completely stall for hours at a time each month. There are ways to fix that problem (more dungeons, shorter deadlines, plot events spaced less), but I don't think Atlus really regards the pacing as an issue.

But, yes, SMT4 first, please.

Hobbun

Yaweee said:
Charlequin's basically right that it depends how you break down and define story versus plot and character arcs. However, I'd still say P4 has my favorite story of the SMT series. Yeah, it has it's problems, but I've never been so captivated by a game as I was after the ending branch-points.

-

For P5... there's a lot of directions it could go. If they do keep the S. Link systems, I'd prefer something other High School, or a focus on a different era (students just after WW2 would be interesting, or a group of workers in a commercial district).

Personally, I'd rather see them ditch the calendar system. Like I said, P4 has one of my favorite stories of any RPG, but I would have preferred for the story to not completely stall for hours at a time each month. There are ways to fix that problem (more dungeons, shorter deadlines, plot events spaced less), but I don't think Atlus really regards the pacing as an issue.

But, yes, SMT4 first, please.

See, I haven't had a problem with the once a month boss event. I can always find things to do between that time. If the time was shorter, I would have even less time to do S. Links, raise attributes or work on my level/Persona's levels.

But I do think it would be nice to switch up the location. The WWII era sounds really awesome, actually. So much for using a cell phone, though. :lol

P5 should keep a lot of the same game mechanics but have the story focus on adults. It should also have an overall theme of anger/rage and the color red to keep the old contact system colors trend going.

Blue = Fear P3
Yellow = Intrigue P4
Red = Rage P5
Green = Joy P6

And they seriously need to hire Cree Summer and H. Jon Benjamin as voice actors. :p

Hobbun said:
Well, I hope not too much. As I said, I am one who has the viewpoint of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." I do hope they continue to keep turn-based combat with the SMT and Persona games, for one.

Oh sure.

The thing about Persona is that in the old days, the various Megaten spinoff series weren't that different. Now they've gotten their own identities, and each one can experiment within that. Devil Summoner is the action series, Persona is the S-Link series, etc.

I just imagine that they'll want to make Persona 5 more different than P4 was, probably introducing some wild new idea to it (the same way that SMT3 is very clearly SMT, but introduces this new Press Turn system that totally reinvigorates the game's design.)

firex

I'm guessing SMT4 might use some new system instead of Press Turn so P5 would be social links and high school life (P2 is like the only Persona that doesn't deal with high school life/high school students as characters) but using whatever new system SMT4 has, modified a little.

Red Scarlet

I'm probably not the best person to answer, but I think more people have said it's shorter. Early on in the game it was "hard" due to MP being a pain to restore efficiently, but by the 3rd dungeon I haven't had any problems in the game, nothing like those tables in P3 and stuff like that.

..pakbeka.. said:
ah, it's from FES

that's why I couldn't find it, thanks

I'm sure the real name of the song is on a connected link; P4 was the first time I actually heard the whole song; I'd hit the button to make the lady screaming Japanese stop as soon as I could.

firex

I spent less time on P4 than I did on P3 for sure, but I'd say it's a harder game overall. P3 is really easy, probably to compensate for having AI teammates the whole game. The main character in P4 isn't as overpowered as P3's main character was, either.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Well, I was hoping for Nocturne level difficulty but you can't have everything. Having played that game and P3, P3 was too easy despite being a long game for me.

Yaweee

firex said:
I spent less time on P4 than I did on P3 for sure, but I'd say it's a harder game overall. P3 is really easy, probably to compensate for having AI teammates the whole game. The main character in P4 isn't as overpowered as P3's main character was, either.

What it comes down to is that P4 is substantially better designed than P3. The big boss fights are actually harder and more interesting than the oversized generic midbosses, and often require developing strategies unique to that boss.

I died a lot more in P3's expert mode, that's for sure. There, hard brought more scaling factors with regards to damage, more enemies that cast insta-kill magic (of which P4 is noticeably sparser with), and you're more likely to get ambushed by enemies and SMT'ed before you can do anything.

noi5e

I thought P4's Shadow Teammates were harder/better designed than P3's Full Moon Bosses. But IMO P3's midbosses generally made for more challenging/fun fights than anything in P4.

It's really a tough choice, because P4 beats P3 in terms of everything else: characters, story, soundtrack, style...

noi5e said:
I thought P4's Shadow Teammates were harder/better designed than P3's Full Moon Bosses. But IMO P3's midbosses generally made for more challenging/fun fights than anything in P4.

It's really a tough choice, because P4 beats P3 in terms of everything else: characters, story, soundtrack, style...

The bosses are such a small part of the game that I don't understand how this is even a decision. There are so many tiny improvements made that P4 makes P3 look like a proof of concept/tech demo when you start to compare the two. There came a point in P3 where I got fed up with the dungeon crawl/social link/stat boost daily grind and just started holding down triangle through all the dialogue. So many of the little annoyances of P3 are also gone now, most offensive of which was the somewhat arbitrary fatigue system. Considering how no one aspect of P4 is anything I would call a monumental leap forward, it is an incredibly successful sequel in that it makes me never want to play P3 again.

Yaweee

noi5e said:

Eh, not really a fan of P3's midbosses (though The Answer's were great). The hard ones were mostly an issue of "Are you at such a low level that you get one-shotted by their all-hit abilities, and do you have enough Mirrors to bounce everything back?" On top of that, many of the Spell Fusions had a 100% chance of inflicting status ailments against anything that was vulnerable, completely trivializing anything that was vulnerable.

P4's midbosses, while still more generic and fewer than I really want, are more interestingly designed. They have powerful attacks, patterns, and do things like summon reinforcements.

And let's not forget all of the Strega battles, which might be some of the easiest boss fights in RPG history. Their music is so awesome, but I don't think any of them across two playthroughs took more than two turns (maaaaybe Jin part 2 did).

It's nice to have more numerous roadblocks like P3, but dying to a megidola spam because your level is too low just isn't all that interesting to me.

noi5e

Haha, I guess there's the rub then... I never actually found out what any of the good spell fusions were in P3; and I never really did grind in P3 either (the game did a good job of letting you know the stopping point was b/c you started getting like 1XP, in P4 there seemed to be more give and take with that).

I guess the bosses in P4 did more interesting things, and were more interesting to look at.... but don't you think they got really easy, even on Expert, after Shadow Kanji?

Yaweee

noi5e said:
Haha, I guess there's the rub then... I never actually found out what any of the good spell fusions were in P3; and I never really did grind in P3 either (the game did a good job of letting you know the stopping point was b/c you started getting like 1XP, in P4 there seemed to be more give and take with that).

I guess the bosses in P4 did more interesting things, and were more interesting to look at.... but don't you think they got really easy, even on Expert, after Shadow Kanji?

Yeah, they got easier (I think half of my deaths were in the first two dungeons), but the third and fourth major bosses were , and the fifth and sixth still did interesting things. That's a world of difference from P3's big bosses, half of which kind of just sat there and died.

You're right about the exp curving being different, and that makes a huge change as to what level you would likely reach bosses at. Overleveling in one section and ending up strong for the next was barely possible in P3, but it seems to be common in P4.

Oh, and I don't mean to make it seem like I hated P3's boss fights. I just vastly prefer the well-designed fights of P4.

Hobbun

charlequin said:
Oh sure.

The thing about Persona is that in the old days, the various Megaten spinoff series weren't that different. Now they've gotten their own identities, and each one can experiment within that. Devil Summoner is the action series, Persona is the S-Link series, etc.

I just imagine that they'll want to make Persona 5 more different than P4 was, probably introducing some wild new idea to it (the same way that SMT3 is very clearly SMT, but introduces this new Press Turn system that totally reinvigorates the game's design.)

Sounds good to me. To be honest, Persona 3 is the only SMT related game I have played in any sort. Still haven't gotten to Nocturne or either Digital Devil Saga game (even though I have all three).

I am looking forward to playing all of four of them (P4 as well). I will play Devil Summoner eventually, as well. But as I hear it isn't as good as the others and it is action based, I am not as eager to try it, yet.

Red Scarlet

Hmm, I can make Alice with Null/Absorb/Repel Physical, but I'm not really sure how I'd get around to the elements..I know that there's some "super magic" day for fusing, but what does that day actually entail? What is the 'result' that supposedly makes it really easy to get lots of elemental stuff from fuses on that day?

Red Scarlet

Why hello thar.
p4069alice1.png

Delicious.

I'll have to redo her on whatever that Angelic Grace day is, but that's not going to be for a long while, probably.

Red Scarlet

I just wanted/would have taken Repel Phys+Spell Master+Cool Breeze, but it kept giving me Spell Master+Cool Breeze+Null Light and stupid crap like Agidyne or Matarunda...then BAM. Was only about 35 mins though..it took longer to get Nebiros to learn Spell Master (like 80000xp?). :lol

RocketDarkness said:
I salute your dedication in creating kick-ass Personas.

I like this one that I was only going for Absorb Fire and Null Dark:
fes038.png

kle89

Neo Member
I just picked up this and FES..damn i am a convert, and i actually am liking it much more than FFs I played on the PS2, probably because i prefer a more modern and sublime setting, not to mention the storytelling is pretty slick so far.
I hope this series start receiving more exposure over time. go atlus!

Leam

Still over a month until they release it here in EU :(

I just wanted to say that i hate you all :lol

Keep going

Red Scarlet said:
I just wanted/would have taken Repel Phys+Spell Master+Cool Breeze, but it kept giving me Spell Master+Cool Breeze+Null Light and stupid crap like Agidyne or Matarunda...then BAM. Was only about 35 mins though..it took longer to get Nebiros to learn Spell Master (like 80000xp?). :lol

I like this one that I was only going for Absorb Fire and Null Dark:
fes038.png

Of all the interface improvements they made with Persona 4, it kills me that the only way to get different movesets from fusions is to deselect all, reselect all, and pray. Oh well... at least that's an option.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Of all the interface improvements they made with Persona 4, it kills me that the only way to get different movesets from fusions is to deselect all, reselect all, and pray. Oh well... at least that's an option.

Yeah, I wonder if it would completely destroy the game's balance if they allowed you to select the inherited skills. After a few hour long fusion sessions I was really cursing their stubbornness in regards to the skill allocation setup.

I don't have screencaps, but I was struggling to get my Loki with absorb fire, spellmaster, repel phys, and invigorate. And my Beelzebub that nulled all.

I really hated fusions involving more than four personas. My Trumpeter kinda sucked because I just couldn't deal with trying to fuse him for over an hour.

Red Scarlet

You don't have to deselect them all, on a triple fusion at least. Just go back till only the first one is selected. On the 2/3 fusions, I just equip the two/three I am going to fuse so they are next to each other to reduce annoyance in moving through the current roster.

Red Scarlet said:
You don't have to deselect them all, on a triple fusion at least. Just go back till only the first one is selected. On the 2/3 fusions, I just equip the two/three I am going to fuse so they are next to each other to reduce annoyance in moving through the current roster.

Technically you are deselecting them all, but the cursor stays on whatever was last selected to save you that tiny bit of inconvenience.

Regardless, I wish they would change it since half the time I'm wondering if what I'm after is even possible and usually give up once I get one or two abilities I want.

Red Scarlet

Yeah, I usually settle with 2 or maybe 3 if I am going for 4 particular ones. If you could just choose, it'd make things too easy I guess. Plus it's really cool when you DO get good ones.
yeahhhhhhhhhhhh.png

alba

Little is the new Big
my god, how could I ever get past this game? I just picked it up (my first persona game) and it's just amazing, I love it :)

9hours in (lvl 19) and I'm doing the
bonus boss in yukiko's castle
I'm a bit struggling with all the fusion things and so on since i'm all new to this but what would be the "recommended" social links/persona's I should take right away? I'm in the basketball team right now along with the music band so I got Moon, Strengh & Magician at the moment :O

Anyways, looking forward to get back to it tonight and sink all my time in it :D (I absolutely love the menus and the way things are presented :)

I guess i should pick 2/3 and wait for the psp port of the first one.

alba said:
my god, how could I ever get past this game? I just picked it up (my first persona game) and it's just amazing, I love it :)

9hours in (lvl 19) and I'm doing the
bonus boss in yukiko's castle
I'm a bit struggling with all the fusion things and so on since i'm all new to this but what would be the "recommended" social links/persona's I should take right away? I'm in the basketball team right now along with the music band so I got Moon, Strengh & Magician at the moment :O

Anyways, looking forward to get back to it tonight and sink all my time in it :D (I absolutely love the menus and the way things are presented :)

I guess i should pick 2/3 and wait for the psp port of the first one.

You don't really need to worry about fusion aside from consolidating scrubs until later levels when the skills get really good. I pretty much only aim for Invigorate and Growth until the end.

suzu said:
Raising your party members' slinks help in battles. <3 Chie's Galactic Punt.

Yeah I don't understand why Chie gets to OHKO an enemy when everyone else just dizzies
well I never use Kanji/Teddie/Naoto, so maybe they do something cool too

So I'm at about 75 hours in now and I just want the game to end. For some reason I always feel guilty when playing Persona games. It takes like 2-4 times longer to get through than your average RPG and the gameplay itself is infinitely repetitive after the first 10-15 hours. I made the mistake of starting Persona 4 when I had many other games I also wanted to play and it has consumed all my free time. Am I alone in feeling this way?

As solid as Persona 4 is, it always makes me feel like I could be doing more with my gaming time. I felt the same way about Persona 3, but at about 30 hours. I ended up putting it down for 3 months before finishing it and the Answer. Oh well, at least I quit WoW and my 200+ days /played character.

Top Bottom