• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Hmm, for those who went the Good/True ending route:

!!!SERIOUS SPOILER TAG!!!

How did you figure out it was Adachi? I accidentally spoiled the reveal for myself when I used a FAQ to make sure I didn't get the bad ending again at the hospital event. Maybe I just suck at mysteries, but I probably would have gotten Adachi by guessing as opposed to twisted mystery logic.

I'm actually quite interested.

Yaweee

MegaKungFuRadio said:

How did you figure out it was Adachi? I accidentally spoiled the reveal for myself when I used a FAQ to make sure I didn't get the bad ending again at the hospital event. Maybe I just suck at mysteries, but I probably would have gotten Adachi by guessing as opposed to twisted mystery logic.

The explanation before the choice makes it kind of obvious. You can go through the list and keep in mind what you've just been told, and it all makes sense.

MegaKungFuRadio said:

It was pretty obvious one Noato says something like:
"Someone Nanako would know and would open the door for, who also would easily be able to hide evidence the police would find."

And by that point in the game, pretty much everybody else has been eliminated as a suspect.

So question

I have to get Alice, I never took the time to make uber personas in P3. But I'm going to dedicate 4 hours to making some wicked toons.

With that said......what are the steps to getting Alice :lol

MegaKungFuRadio said:

I figured it was him after the I saved Kanji.....because as a character he was pretty much pissing me off. That and he was always leaving hints and clues. I just naturally assumed it was him because I thought he was a dumbass prick douche box.

noi5e

ENDING SPOILER

I got spoiled by the art book before I even started playing the game. I'm not gonna complain but-- well, OK I'm gonna complain:

Atlus could've put Namatame in the book and kept the real culprit a secret. It's not like those character portraits of Adachi are anything special anyways... *grumble*

EDIT: Alice = Nebiros + Belial

Big Icarus said:
It was pretty obvious one Noato says something like:
"Someone Nanako would know and would open the door for, who also would easily be able to hide evidence the police would find."

And by that point in the game, pretty much everybody else has been eliminated as a suspect.

Yeah, I got used to using triangle to advance text instead of X and completely missed that phrase (among many other less important dialogues.).

Like I said, I probably would have been able to guess him, but it would have been a guess. More a product of no one else making any sense than anything pointing towards him, but that's how it plays out anyway.

I guess I was just hoping for some sort of eureka moment as opposed to abstract retconning.

Red Scarlet

Angelus Errare said:
So question

I have to get Alice, I never took the time to make uber personas in P3. But I'm going to dedicate 4 hours to making some wicked toons.

With that said......what are the steps to getting Alice :lol

I remember how I made mine if you like that one.

Red Scarlet

Should I just ditch Odin and use Norn as my main wind one? I don't have Null Fire on many high-ranking ones anymore I don't think. I do have Absorb Fire though..
p4072.png

firex

I'm going to say yes, but only because that Norn looks like it has a better selection of skills anyway. Unless Odin's going to learn Debilitate after he learns Mind Charge.

Xanathus

My Odin had the highest single-target damage spell in the game with Mind Charge + Wind Boost + Amp Panta Rhei (which you'll get after mind charge), so keep it for making boss fights go quicker.

Odin can't learn Debilitate, only Norn and Trumpeter I think.

(ending spoilers ctd.)

MegaKungFuRadio said:

I figured it out
about an hour into the game. "Huh, I guess Dojima has some ridiculous partner who's humorously bad at his job. And he's voiced by the same VA as the main character. I wonder if he's the killer."
:lol

Red Scarlet

Xanathus said:
My Odin had the highest single-target damage spell in the game with Mind Charge + Wind Boost + Amp Panta Rhei (which you'll get after mind charge), so keep it for making boss fights go quicker.

Odin can't learn Debilitate, only Norn and Trumpeter I think.

He doesn't have Boost, but my Surt would probably do pretty well for single target (plus he has multiple target too).

charlequin said:
(ending spoilers ctd.)

I figured it out
about an hour into the game. "Huh, I guess Dojima has some ridiculous partner who's humorously bad at his job. And he's voiced by the same VA as the main character. I wonder if he's the killer."
:lol
I figured he was the killer from the beginning. As such, I was disappointed that it was him. Though, the whole Izunami thing made up for that.

Quadratic

Anyone else watch Vinny from giantbomb.com play through the game? I just spent 45 mins watching the commentary with Jeff and it was hilarious!

I finished the game a while ago but I didn't remember that it took so long to actually get into gameplay. I guess my excitement when I got the game on release day glossed over the time it took.

How easy is Beginner mode? I was pretty awful at P3, but I just hate choosing the sub-default difficulty. I also don't have a ton of time to devote to it...

ninj4junpei said:
I figured he was the killer from the beginning. As such, I was disappointed that it was him. Though, the whole Izunami thing made up for that.

For a game billed as a "murder mystery," P4 had surprisingly little murder and almost no mystery. :lol

Jimmy Stav said:
How easy is Beginner mode? I was pretty awful at P3, but I just hate choosing the sub-default difficulty. I also don't have a ton of time to devote to it...

Beginner is pretty easy, but afaik it's just the same as Normal but with 10 extra continues. I've been playing on that and I've just now reached the end game at around 80 hours, so it's still not short, but I've also been listening to all the dialogue and doing all the optional stuff.

Honestly, I found the first few dungeons more difficult then anything that comes later on.

epmode

baphometbones said:
Beginner is pretty easy, but afaik it's just the same as Normal but with 10 extra continues.
That's how it was in P3 but P4 specifically mentions that the battles are actually easier, on top of the 10 continues. I'm not sure if this is true.

Red Scarlet said:
I remember how I made mine if you like that one.

Yes please! :D

More spoiler talk
Like others said, if you're big on problem solving / mysteries type plot-twists in movies. You kinda figure it's Adachi. For a few reasons, 1. Like mamy mystery movies they aren't going to pull a bad guy outta left field. It'll be someone that's been established. 2. Adachi is too convenient, people who willingly help = shady in my eyes. 3. Just look at him, he looks like a stalker / pedophile.

epmode said:
That's how it was in P3 but P4 specifically mentions that the battles are actually easier, on top of the 10 continues. I'm not sure if this is true.

You could be right. I will say one thing, none of these bosses have given me half as much trouble as Sleeping Table from P3. Of course, it might also be easier due to P4's gameplay in general: being able to directly control your teammates and increasing their battle abilities via S.Links goes a long way towards making the game less frustrating difficulty wise IMO.

Red Scarlet

Angelus Errare said:
Yes please! :D

Well, I don't remember how I made some of the earlier ingredients, but here's what I have:

Alice with Absorb Phys/Repel Phys/Spell Master/Cool Breeze = Mara + Taowu = Nebiros + Belial = Lilith + Succubus + Belphegor

Don't remember how I made Mara (doesn't matter too much), but here's how I made Taowu:

Taowu with Repel Physical/Mind Charge/Absorb Fire = Rangda + Cu Chulainn

Of course, if you'd rather have Absorb Physical, then just make whatever Taowu you want, since Mara gets Absorb Physical.

For Belial I just combined the 3 previous Devil ones. Lilith and Belphegor weren't anything in particular, Succubus was Yatagarasu (Cool Breeze) + Black Frost. When I made Nebiros and Belial I got rid of Mudoon and elemental spells as much as I could, and kept stuff Alice came with by default (Mamudoon/Mudo Boost) and attack abilities, so I think I had 12 abilities that would come up total.

Here's what the Belial and Nebiros looked like that I made my Alice from:
p4068.png

Red Scarlet

I'm just now starting the 2nd cycle. Sold all my items and equipment and went from 200,000 to about 850,000. Also got a couple more Personas from fusing what I had in my lineup.

Red Scarlet said:
Well, I don't remember how I made some of the earlier ingredients, but here's what I have:

Alice with Absorb Phys/Repel Phys/Spell Master/Cool Breeze = Mara + Taowu = Nebiros + Belial = Lilith + Succubus + Belphegor

Don't remember how I made Mara (doesn't matter too much), but here's how I made Taowu:

Taowu with Repel Physical/Mind Charge/Absorb Fire = Rangda + Cu Chulainn

Of course, if you'd rather have Absorb Physical, then just make whatever Taowu you want, since Mara gets Absorb Physical.

For Belial I just combined the 3 previous Devil ones. Lilith and Belphegor weren't anything in particular, Succubus was Yatagarasu (Cool Breeze) + Black Frost. When I made Nebiros and Belial I got rid of Mudoon and elemental spells as much as I could, and kept stuff Alice came with by default (Mamudoon/Mudo Boost) and attack abilities, so I think I had 12 abilities that would come up total.

Here's what the Belial and Nebiros looked like that I made my Alice from:
p4068.png

Thanks Red, I'll be spending the next few hours working on Alice. =)

Angelus Errare said:
Thanks Red, I'll be spending the next few hours working on Alice. =)
Remember, December 15th lets you fuse an Alice with Angelic Grace which is Dodge Elec/Ice/Wind/Fire (and maybe Hama/Mudo, not sure) all rolled up into one nice skill.

This game is so fucking frustrating. I hit triangle on accident during a boss and wasted a god damned turn. I'm probably going to lose now. There goes two hours.

EDIT: hung on by a thread, but Yosuke died. He won't get any experience, right?

Red Scarlet

Not if he's dead, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Angelic Grace says it increases evade against all but light and dark, I got it from some Persona and passed it on to some others. I don't know if I'm going to bother re-making Alice to have it since I'd have to regain 2 levels to get Die For Me again as well as any extra levels/stat boosts/spell changes (Megidolaon) I've already gotten.

Jimmy Stav said:
This game is so fucking frustrating. I hit triangle on accident during a boss and wasted a god damned turn. I'm probably going to lose now. There goes two hours.

I was yelling at my TV about exactly the same thing last night. I wish bosses would just shut up and start the fight immediately so I don't have to keep pressing triangle.

Jimmy Stav said:

EDIT: hung on by a thread, but Yosuke died. He won't get any experience, right?

I'm glad I decided to play on normal difficulty. Persona 3 on hard just felt unfair when I would hit for bullshit damage and regular enemies took half my life bar. Not having control of party sure as hell didn't help.

I'm only 6 floors in and I'm already getting confused. I already have 6 or 7 Persona, should I be fusing them yet? I can't see a reason to use them over the ones that the main three characters started with.

RocketDarkness said:
Remember, December 15th lets you fuse an Alice with Angelic Grace which is Dodge Elec/Ice/Wind/Fire (and maybe Hama/Mudo, not sure) all rolled up into one nice skill.
I <3 angelic grace.

Red Scarlet

Jimmy Stav said:
I'm only 6 floors in and I'm already getting confused. I already have 6 or 7 Persona, should I be fusing them yet? I can't see a reason to use them over the ones that the main three characters started with.

I get the abilities the initial ones learn, then register them and begin fusing them into other ones with those abilities (like Resist Physical/Regenerate 1) early on.

Erudite

Hmm... So I just unlocked *End-Game Spoilers*
Izanami's Area on my first play through. What level would be recommended before I face her?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
How is everyone dealing with Persona leveling? Are you guys leveling every Persona to gain all their abilities or just flat out getting them and fusing whenever a nice possibility pops up?

cakeman19

Banned
Kadey said:
How is everyone dealing with Persona leveling? Are you guys leveling every Persona to gain all their abilities or just flat out getting them and fusing whenever a nice possibility pops up?

I would just go crazy fusing things the second I was out of room for new personas. As long as I had 3 of the main elements covered, I didn't even care what I was losing thanks to the compendium.

Kadey said:

Generally speaking, I wouldn't ever rely on levelling a Persona more than twice. By the end of the game you should really just be hoping to have maxed the S-Links of any Arcana you're looking to fuse top-end Personas of, which will get you within like 2 levels of their best skill on normal days and generally get you their best skills on "bonus S-Link XP" days.

firex

Traced-Velocity said:
Izanami's Area on my first play through. What level would be recommended before I face her?
I beat that part of the game at like level 78. I can't quite remember, but I know I was around that level and not into the 80s yet. I did learn every ability for my 3 party members, so they leveled up enough for that (which is around level 75 or earlier in the 70s).

I'm early in the game (second dungeon) and was wondering where I can buy items that heal sp. I'm guessing the one shop for items will eventually have them but just making sure there's a store or something I've overlooked.

robut said:
I'm early in the game (second dungeon) and was wondering where I can buy items that heal sp. I'm guessing the one shop for items will eventually have them but just making sure there's a store or something I've overlooked.

The best thing for you to do at this point is to buy TAP Soda's from the vending machine located right outside the item shop. 120 yen a piece, and sadly the only real way to buy SP restoratives. Make sure you keep buying them until they're sold out, they'll eventually replenish the supply.

MechaX

Traced-Velocity said:

My party was in the late 70s-early 80s level range and I came out just fine.

Just a tip though, if you don't have access to Trumpeter, then at minimum, get a persona that has tarunda that is not weak against electricity. Also, there's a free Soma on one of the floors in that dungeon (Floor 6 I think). Make sure that you get it, because the boss is really one massive war of attrition.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
robut said:

yeah TaP sodas are your only bet. Dealing with SP is definitely more challenging in the beginning of the game, rather than in the end. Here's some good tips:

- Level up the Fox S.Link ASAP. Make it your priority to get it up a few levels before going in the dungeon

- Make sure the Fox is "happy" or whatever in the dungeon, so he'll heal you for slightly less SP. If the Fox is unhappy you'll get charged more. Just be sure to save your game before going to the TV and reload if its he's in a bad mood and try another day.

- Re-run the first dungeon in the game whenever you get low on cash for the Fox. You should re-run every dungeon in the game at least once, but doing it multiple times can get you a boat load of cash, and eventually giving the Fox money never really becomes a huge problem.

- And of course, buy TaP sodas every week.

Top Bottom