• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

kai3345

Banned
Tamanon said:
Yeah, you shouldn't be blowing that many continues on him. Keep in mind if you dont' want to completely restart, if you keep going so that the person dies(by going to that final day after the rain) it sends you back a week in time and deletes any progress you made. So you'd get your items back or time to level.

I may have to end up doing this.

This really bums me out cause I was having so much fun and if my point of no return was before the current week, then I'm fucked and have to restart, and I don't want to replay all of those thing I did before, because I already know what happens, and I just played it so its not like I would be getting any nostalgia out of it, so it would just make the game tedious and boring trying to get up to the point where I was at before. So if that ends up happenening, I may not be able to pick this game up again for a long time :(

Tamanon

Banned
kai3345 said:

This really bums me out cause I was having so much fun and if my point of no return was before the current week, then I'm fucked and have to restart, and I don't want to replay all of those thing I did before, because I already know what happens, and I just played it so its not like I would be getting any nostalgia out of it, so it would just make the game tedious and boring trying to get up to the point where I was at before. So if that ends up happenening, I may not be able to pick this game up again for a long time :(

If you really want to speed up the early portions of the game(although you shouldn't have to, just use the kill order of Nice Guy ----> Tough guy ----> Boss, have a persona strong against physical), you can hold triangle to skip text. The other option is to just leave the dungeon, pass time until he dies in the midnight channel and the game will put you back a week before, giving you plenty of time to do any leveling up/healing you need to do.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
kai3345 said:

Like I said, your problem should not warrant a restart. It's nearly impossible to fuck up that bad to need to restart. You're not even CLOSE to that point. You're just a little frustrated.

Yaweee

kai3345 said:

7 Days of grinding is always enough to kill a boss. It is genuinely, absolutely, 100% to impossible to have to restart the game.

I'm also not sure that you're already at the end of the time frame. You normally have around 3 weeks for a dungeon, and the last day for your current one is June 4th.

kai3345

Banned
I guess I'm just not used to RPGs being this brutal.

Well, I can't try anyones suggestions currently as I'm on vacation in Mississippi, but once I get back I'll see if everyones suggestions worked.

But thanks for the tips and I hope they work.

Havok

kai3345 said:
And "just leveling up my social links" isn't an option, at least I think. I checked the weather report and at the end of the week it said it was going to rain for 2 days in a row, and if I remember correctly it has to rain 3 days in a row for whoever is in the TV to die. And I've never seen just 2 days in a row of rain, so I'm pretty much assuming that that 3rd day is rain.
Don't make this assumption, or else you'll have huge problems later in the game. Persona 4's definition of "several days" is a little sketchy. It can range from 3 full days and evenings to an evening and a day (1.5 days). Honestly, the trick to beating the bosses is just to level up and use Personas that are strong against whatever attacks they use (in this case, try to find/fuse a Persona that's strong against physical attacks, as was mentioned). Once you get into the swing of things, the game's difficulty goes down pretty dramatically (I ended up thinking most of the game was fairly easy, and the last JRPG I finished before this one was Pokemon Yellow, so I'm not experienced by any means.)

Edit: Also, as mentioned, use Dekaja to debuff Shadow Kanji. Buffs and debuffs are way more important in the Persona games (or 3 and 4, at least) than most JRPGs, as I understand it.

ultron87

Althane said:
But I was playing around tonight, and I gotta say... why does this game have the catchiest music ever? I swear I find myself humming it all the time.

I could literally listen to the battle theme on a loop for hours, and not mind it at all.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
ultron87 said:
I could literally listen to the battle theme on a loop for hours, and not mind it at all.

If you play Persona 4, you WILL listen to the battle theme on a loop for hours ;)

And no, I didn't mind either. Persona 4 has brilliant music.

So I got into a debate with someone about who the best members of the investigation team are (in battle, natch).

I rank them thus (from best to worst):
Yosuke
Chie
Kanji
Yukiko
Teddie
Naoto

I think the placement of Kanji/Yukiko could be swapped depending on how you play the game/personal preference.

viewtiful_dru said:
So I got into a debate with someone about who the best members of the investigation team are (in battle, natch).

Yosuke
Chie
Kanji
Yukiko
Teddie
Naoto

I think the placement of Kanji/Yukiko could be swapped depending on how you play the game/personal preference.

You do realize if you switch Yuki and Kanji you've basically just given us the order in which they join the team right?:D

Why the hell are the healers in the bottom half? I mean I know they keep their weaknesses, but Salvation + Agidyne + Fire boost + Fire amp isn't really a bad combination of moves.

Jswanko

Never played a Persona before but Im thinking about getting into it. Should I start with 3? Fez? 4? Im not really a hardcore JRPG fan so I'd assume id like the one that's most approachable.

Frawdder

4 was my first JRPG and I found it to be quite easy to get into, though I knew some stuff from watching the endurance run. Can't say anything about 3 FES as I've only seen videos, so someone else can comment on that.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't have Naoto yet...but:

Yukiko
Yosuke
Teddie
Chie
Kanji

Now, I still use the default party, since Teddie + Yukiko + Chie is pretty redundant at this point of the game.

I rate Chie a little low because she's very slow and barely has an opportunity to use SP. Her aoe physicals are really good...if she gets a turn in.

Ourobolus

Banned
viewtiful_dru said:

Yosuke
Chie
Kanji
Yukiko
Teddie
Naoto

Err...ok. Naoto is awesome in dungeon crawling and Teddie can replace Yukiko at a moment's notice. The only character I felt wasn't up to par was Kanji, and that's only because Chie eventually outpaces him in physical skills and his magic stat is shit in regard to his Zio skills.

Jswanko

Frawdder said:
4 was my first JRPG and I found it to be quite easy to get into, though I knew some stuff from watching the endurance run. Can't say anything about 3 FES as I've only seen videos, so someone else can comment on that.

Is it a continuous story or is each game different?

Frawdder

Each is different in the same universe, there are some references in P4 to P3 but it's not crucial to the game that you know what they are.

polg

Another question, should I join 2 clubs or just one... or should I find a job? this social life thing is getting complicated!

Ourobolus

Banned
momolicious said:
who here has finished P4 but hasnt finished P3? P3 feels so very drawn out towards the end.
I thought P3 started to pick up quite a bit from July onward. The last part of the game was pretty suspensful for me, knowing that I only had those 30 days to get everything ready for the final battle.

Frawdder

polg said:
Another question, should I join 2 clubs or just one... or should I find a job? this social life thing is getting complicated!

Join both clubs and get a job(s). Each club/job has its own social link that will provide you will bonus exp when you fuse personas. The higher the social link, the more exp the persona gets.

polg

Frawdder said:
Join both clubs and get a job(s). Each club/job has its own social link that will provide you will bonus exp when you fuse personas. The higher the social link, the more exp the persona gets.

Yeah, but the days of the clubs clash!

TheExodu5

Banned
Just took on the optional boss at the top of Void Quest. I'm level 45, and I managed to dish out 1031 damage to it in one attack. :lol

Ourobolus

Banned
polg said:
Yeah, but the days of the clubs clash!
DEAL! Half of the game is about time management, the other half is about demon management. Trust me, you'll be fine if you pay a decent amount of attention to both clubs.

Facism

so i entered the first dungeon, rolled through the first 4 floors, then a fucking boss on the 5th that wiped my arse @ lvl 8. progress lost :<

mileS

TheExodu5 said:
I don't have Naoto yet...but:

Yukiko
Yosuke
Teddie
Chie
Kanji

Now, I still use the default party, since Teddie + Yukiko + Chie is pretty redundant at this point of the game.

I rate Chie a little low because she's very slow and barely has an opportunity to use SP. Her aoe physicals are really good...if she gets a turn in.

I can't stand the noise Teddie makes when hes running behind you. That's pretty much the only reason I never use him.

firex

viewtiful_dru said:

Yosuke
Chie
Kanji
Yukiko
Teddie
Naoto

Yosuke sucks. Chie/Kanji/Yukiko party all the way. Or Teddie instead of Yukiko because Teddie has the best battle/level up voice clips ever.

Tamanon

Banned
Facism said:
so i entered the first dungeon, rolled through the first 4 floors, then a fucking boss on the 5th that wiped my arse @ lvl 8. progress lost :<

Yeah, general rule of Persona 4, when you hit the midboss or boss(you'll know because Teddie will warn you before opening the door), Goho-M and save first!

Plus that first miniboss hits like a truck.

Facism

Tamanon said:
Yeah, general rule of Persona 4, when you hit the midboss or boss(you'll know because Teddie will warn you before opening the door), Goho-M and save first!

Plus that first miniboss hits like a truck.

I went back through it again, this time wiped the bosses arse and he only ever landed 2 hits.

Used Slime Persona with main (strong against phys), used whatever that spell is that that increases hit/evasion on the other 2, then used the spell that reduces an enemy's attack. Just hit him with Bufu and Garu over and over. It was over by turn 4.

Now i'm having to deal witht he main boss, and it's a cunt at lvl 11. I'm thinking i'll level a little more till i get Mabufu for Tomoe and Media for my main's Archangel, that should help supremely.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, you'll definitely want to be level 14. mabufu makes that fight a piece of cake. Also I'd suggest having someone with Red Wall for Chie.

Oh man, endurance run is going to be good this week, the team is up to November!
Culture festival, Nanako's kidnapping

I can't wait to see their reaction to the second event, it really seems the guys are attached to the characters in the game, not as much mocking of the S. Links as I thought there'd be.

arhra

Facism said:
I went back through it again, this time wiped the bosses arse and he only ever landed 2 hits.

Used Slime Persona with main (strong against phys), used whatever that spell is that that increases hit/evasion on the other 2, then used the spell that reduces an enemy's attack. Just hit him with Bufu and Garu over and over. It was over by turn 4.

Now i'm having to deal witht he main boss, and it's a cunt at lvl 11. I'm thinking i'll level a little more till i get Mabufu for Tomoe and Media for my main's Archangel, that should help supremely.
If you can, try to fuse a Senri (level 9, Pixie x Forneus or Orobas x Forneus, nulls fire, learns Media at 11) and level it up a bit for that boss. Combine that with swapping in a Slime every few turns to cast Red Wall on Chie, and you should do fine.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Curufinwe said:
They are so attached that I think Vinny in particular will freak out if
they get the bad, bad ending.

I'm wondering how they'll handle this as well. No offense to them, but I doubt they'll be able to pull off the true ending without help from the comments or using an faq (I doubt I could have either). They haven't had any reservations about looking up test answers so I hope they do a little research on the multiple endings.

Tamanon

Banned
They read the comments, so I assume they've had everything spoiled for them already. I'm thinking they'll get the good ending only.

Red Scarlet

To the guy stuck on the 2nd boss: Resist Phys (on main guy) + Dekaja (Yosuke gets it, to remove Heat Riser on the boss) and Magaru (hurts all parts of the boss; only element that does, can cast it and damage the whole thing) are your friend..and make the boss pretty easy. 2 People with Magaru can kill him in a couple of minutes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamanon said:
They read the comments, so I assume they've had everything spoiled for them already. I'm thinking they'll get the good ending only.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure how they got Naoto.

It's so weird though... a lot of this stuff basically requires you to do that old school thing of talking to every random NPC just to make sure you've got an important plot point.

Facism

arhra said:
If you can, try to fuse a Senri (level 9, Pixie x Forneus or Orobas x Forneus, nulls fire, learns Media at 11) and level it up a bit for that boss. Combine that with swapping in a Slime every few turns to cast Red Wall on Chie, and you should do fine.

Breezed through it with Archangel on main.

Had Archangel raise Yosuke's defense (he was going to be my main hitter, using hp skills), used Yosuke to raise Chie's evasion (to dodge the fire attacks) and then Chie to spam mabufu.

It worked out well, fight lasted 5 turns, had to revive Yosuke at turn 4 though as i didn't want him to miss out on XP.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay, I got to the last floor in the Void Quest dungeon... but there's a seal on the door and I can't enter... what am I missing?

Edit: CRAP. I have to go back to the 7th floor.

Edit 2: Okay, went back and found what I needed... D:

Tamanon said:
However, the Boost/Amp skills are stackable.

Confusingly enough, only two boosts to any given element stack with each other, and it's skills > items rather than stacking whatever the best two are. So Boost and Amp do actually stack, but someone with just Amp and one of those +30%/+50% elemental damage weapons will actually do more damage than someone with Boost and Amp and the same weapon.

Danielsan

I knew that the Endurance run eps covering the culture festival were going to be gold but they exceeded expectations.
+ rep for the awesome Big Lebowski reference during the phone segment.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've been juggling quite a few games lately (Civ4, EU3, BlazBlue, STALKER, and P4). Time to play some more P4 tonight!

I'm in September now...passed the trip of course.

firex said:
Yosuke sucks. Chie/Kanji/Yukiko party all the way. Or Teddie instead of Yukiko because Teddie has the best battle/level up voice clips ever.

lol Yosuke is amazing because he's always good at everything throughout the game.
Early game, he's got good magic and can heal. Then later on he gets Sonic Punch, which is good for a while (nice crit rate) and he continues to get good skills like the stronger Garu magic and Dekaja. Then late game he gets insane with stupid damage off of Garudyne + boost + amp (and I kept him wearing the passion pants until the final battle, the girls can't equip it, so it gives him an edge), masukukaja, and lastly, Brave Blade is damn good as a physical skill. About the only thing he doesn't do well is late game healing, snce he doesn't get anything better than the mid level Dia skills.

About Kanji, a lot of people think that he sucks, but he owns vs single enemy mobs and bosses. His magic sucks (just use it for knockdowns), but that's the point, there's a reason why he has a sky high Strength stat and good defense. Coupled with partywide support in Matarukaja, he's a physical beast that does more damage than the magic users can with boost + amp. Not to mention he has the best follow up attack in the game. His only weakness is that his speed is crappy.

Top Bottom