• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Dresden

Dice said:
Man the voice acting is terrible. It's like being trapped in a weeaboo's mind. I had to turn it off.

Everything else is great, should have gone for the JP version.
:lol

Rise in the Japanese version is horrible.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wait, that toggle in the options doesn't turn off voice? AGH! I'm seriously going to have to play this game on mute. Unbelievable.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dice said:
Man the voice acting is terrible.
23r1dus.jpg

Dice

Okay weird. I guess the option does work, but it is permanent. I had it switched to off when starting a new game and now this game has the voices off, and if I load the other game they are on. Incredibly stupid, but I'm not so far in that it is too much of a pain to start over.

Red Scarlet

It doesn't mute all of the voices with it on. I think it mutes the regular game voices and some of the battle ones, but not the battle member voices (like the main guy yelling ALICE and stuff).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dice said:
Man the voice acting is terrible. It's like being trapped in a weeaboo's mind. I had to turn it off.

Everything else is great, should have gone for the JP version.
:lol

Yeah whatever dude

Dice

Okay now, you can all poke fun but seriously... They don't know how to pronounce anything (and when they try it is so slow), the kids are terribly acted by adults, some boys are terribly acted by girls, and everyone overacts like crazy. That is what I mean by weeaboo. It's not the setting of Japan, but the fact that it seems everyone involved only thinks they have any clue what Japan is like when they don't. I have *GASP* real Japanese friends, like, from Japan (OMG I KNOW!) so the American accents bug me to no end... and also the terrible acting.

Anyway, loading the game didn't work, but starting a new game with the voice thing switched did work. I guess you can switch it on and off when they finally unlock the standard menus some 2 hours into the game, but why suffer through that?

Dresden

Dice said:
Okay now, you can all poke fun but seriously... They don't know how to pronounce anything (and when they try it is so slow), the kids are terribly acted by adults, some boys are terribly acted by girls, and everyone overacts like crazy. That is what I mean by weeaboo. It's not the setting of Japan, but the fact that it seems everyone involved only thinks they have any clue what Japan is like when they don't. I have *GASP* real Japanese friends, like, from Japan (OMG I KNOW!) so the American accents bug me to no end... and also the terrible acting.
what

NichM

Banned
Dice said:
It's not the setting of Japan, but the fact that it seems everyone involved only thinks they have any clue what Japan is like when they don't. I have *GASP* real Japanese friends, like, from Japan (OMG I KNOW!) so the American accents bug me to no end... and also the terrible acting.

The fact that Yosuke's VA (who has the most lines in the game) lived in Japan for years during which time he became fluent in Japanese, makes this even funnier. :lol

Dice said:

Anyway, loading the game didn't work, but starting a new game with the voice thing switched did work. I guess you can switch it on and off when they finally unlock the standard menus some 2 hours into the game, but why suffer through that?

Nothing against you but I think it's funny that you hate the voice acting when my friend who hates most Japanese/weaboo/anime/whatever stuff thought it was one of the main draws to the game (especially near the later parts).

NichM said:
The fact that Yosuke's VA (who has the most lines in the game) lived in Japan for years during which time he became fluent in Japanese, makes this even funnier. :lol
Is this true? Man, Yuri Lowenthal's even more awesome than I thought!

kman3000

Dice said:

:lol Oh my god, i'm dying here.

Tamanon

Banned
Dice said:

Would you say you were an expert?

pirata

Dice said:

So would you rather them speak in Japanese accents, as to make it more realistic? British? Or hell, maybe even a French accent to shake things up a bit?

What the flying fuck do you expect from the English localization of this game? How would you have improved it? Do you expect every single actor to be fluent in Japanese and pronounce every single foreign word exactly as a native speaker would? Overacting? Do you not think that the original Japanese voice-acting might have been a little over-the-top? Would you like everyone on the project to know exactly "what Japan is"? And speaking of that, what exactly IS Japan, according to you, the dude with "real Japanese friends"?
Tell us what you'd do with this game, besides not having any English voices at all and only translating text.

This is why we can't have nice things. Atlus gives us one of the best localizations ever, and yet we have bozos going on the internet proclaiming how terrible it is because it is simultaneously weeaboo and not Japanese enough.

....I'm sorry, but his posts made me grumpy. I should go to bed. Good night.

Dice

So would you rather them speak in Japanese accents, as to make it more realistic?
Why not, if they are all supposedly Japanese and living in Japan.

Do you expect every single actor to be fluent in Japanese and pronounce every single foreign word exactly as a native speaker would?
Sure, plenty of animes do it.

Overacting?
How do you normally speak? Now how does that change when you're reading a storybook to a child? That is the difference.

This is why we can't have nice things. Atlus gives us one of the best localizations ever, and yet we have bozos going on the internet proclaiming how terrible it is because it is simultaneously weeaboo and not Japanese enough.
Don't be ridiculous. What do you think I'm comparing it to? Where would my expectations have come from? They've done excellent jobs in the past.

Minamu

It may be the script but some stuff is just cringe worthy when it comes to P4 dialogue. I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with that. Just look at the Endurance Run. Early on, they aren't exactly laughing with the characters. They are laughing at them, because of what & how they say things. I don't really have a problem with everyone speaking English, it's just a bit weird that practially no one looks Japanese at all. For the most part, only their name hints at their origins. Chie could be an adopted orphan for all I know :)

What does *BAD* Atlus localisation sound like? :S

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's unfortunate that this is one of those games where the Japanese VAs are arguably worse than the American ones.

Japanese Rise, for example... man. :lol

Minamu said:
It may be the script but some stuff is just cringe worthy when it comes to P4 dialogue. I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with that. Just look at the Endurance Run. Early on, they aren't exactly laughing with the characters. They are laughing at them, because of what & how they say things. I don't really have a problem with everyone speaking English, it's just a bit weird that practially no one looks Japanese at all. For the most part, only their name hints at their origins. Chie could be an adopted orphan for all I know :)

Problem is that the game, in hindsight, depends on so much pre-knowledge of all these tropes and archetypes that I can't see how they'd be able to localize it without removing things completely. Morooka is the first example that pops into my head. How do you even write that character otherwise?

Minamu said:

People don't look Japanese in a lot of games taking place in Japan. Hell, it takes a very specific art style for anyone to look Japanese in anime.

Minamu

firehawk12 said:
It's unfortunate that this is one of those games where the Japanese VAs are arguably worse than the American ones.

Japanese Rise, for example... man. :lol

Problem is that the game, in hindsight, depends on so much pre-knowledge of all these tropes and archetypes that I can't see how they'd be able to localize it without removing things completely. Morooka is the first example that pops into my head. How do you even write that character otherwise?
so maybe the Japanese script was bad? :S It's easy to make something good bad but it's hard to make something bad good :) I mean, you make it sound like it's the source material that's the main problem. I wouldn't know, P4 is my only Persona game & I haven't heard Rise in Japanese :)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Minamu said:
so maybe the Japanese script was bad? :S It's easy to make something good bad but it's hard to make something bad good :) I mean, you make it sound like it's the source material that's the main problem. I wouldn't know, P4 is my only Persona game & I haven't heard Rise in Japanese :)
Bad direction can make a passable script sound worse in execution.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Minamu said:

It's not just cultural, but they've pretty much went out of their way to hit specific anime/manga tropes. Kanji and Naoto are meant to be parodies or at least satires, for example. It's just a question of how you translate that... and with a game like Persona, you almost have to assume that it'll be played by nerds who - while may not be weeaboo or whatever, are at least familiar with the references.

I mean, look at the Sun S-link. Ayane is pretty much playing into the whole loli thing, to the point where the game makes fun of it (and presumably "you" for choosing Ayane). But to someone not familiar with the whole loli trope in Japan, I imagine it just comes off as creepy-Japanese.

There are other things too that are more subtle. Like, the staff were all city folk, so their interpretation of Inaba is a mishmash of small town stereotypes. So through translation, you're already mediated twice from the "real" experience - first from what urbanites think of small towns in Japan and then from translators who have to interpret and translate that specific urban outlook.

Man, I think about this game too much. :lol

firehawk12 said:
It's not just cultural, but they've pretty much went out of their way to hit specific anime/manga tropes. Kanji and Naoto are meant to be parodies or at least satires, for example. It's just a question of how you translate that... and with a game like Persona, you almost have to assume that it'll be played by nerds who - while may not be weeaboo or whatever, are at least familiar with the references.

I mean, look at the Sun S-link. Ayane is pretty much playing into the whole loli thing, to the point where the game makes fun of it (and presumably "you" for choosing Ayane). But to someone not familiar with the whole loli trope in Japan, I imagine it just comes off as creepy-Japanese.

There are other things too that are more subtle. Like, the staff were all city folk, so their interpretation of Inaba is a mishmash of small town stereotypes. So through translation, you're already mediated twice from the "real" experience - first from what urbanites think of small towns in Japan and then from translators who have to interpret and translate that specific urban outlook.

Man, I think about this game too much. :lol

In interviews, the director said many of them grew up in small towns and they mish-mashed those experiences together to get Inaba.

Stella Deus. Just...Stella Deus.

mjc

I finally got around to starting this yesterday..and DAMN does it take it's sweet time getting the ball rolling. My play clock is over 2 hours already and I've only had direct control for like 15 minutes out of all that.

I love the setting and the characters, the dialogue is great too, but man. Talk about a slow start.

Dresden

mjc said:
I finally got around to starting this yesterday..and DAMN does it take it's sweet time getting the ball rolling. My play clock is over 2 hours already and I've only had direct control for like 15 minutes out of all that.

I love the setting and the characters, the dialogue is great too, but man. Talk about a slow start.
It's a slow start, indeed. I think it's worth it though. I remember Edge commenting that the start might be slow as hell, but it's that slow start that really gets you to care about Inaba and its inhabitants.

I might play the game again, but two things stop me from doing so:

1: I could start a New Game+ and just use Yoshitsune/Hassou Tobi to burn my way through the entire game, but at that point, I might as well just watch all the cutscenes over Youtube or something.

2: as much as I loved the game, the thought of fusing all the 'perfect' Personas makes my head hurt and deters me from starting a 'fresh' game.

Red Scarlet

Dresden said:
2: as much as I loved the game, the thought of fusing all the 'perfect' Personas makes my head hurt and deters me from starting a 'fresh' game.

I've done that about 6 times, it's not too bad if you make a list of how to make the good ones or really prune out the only 'perfect' ones you actually really need (I think for me that's about..5). I still make a certain Persona on 4/19 and use it until 12/11..makes 'perfecting' a lot not even necessary.

If you don't want to deal with the quest stuff (aka figuring them out again) or want to see my fuses, they're text files already online. Plus you can always play w/ a different group or do SQUALL MODE like that one time (I didn't beat the last boss though).

Plus you can hear the happysong again.

jcm

Dresden said:

So don't do that. The game is perfectly playable and enjoyable for those of use who don't have much interest in really exploring and/or abusing the fusion system. On normal, anyway.

mjc

Dresden said:
It's a slow start, indeed. I think it's worth it though. I remember Edge commenting that the start might be slow as hell, but it's that slow start that really gets you to care about Inaba and its inhabitants.

Don't get me wrong, I think the setting is fascinating and a great deal more...personal I guess? I don't know if that makes sense but while P3 was cool I like the interactions between all the townspeople in this one a bit more.

johnsmith

remember me
So I'm going to replay this on pcsx2, but I don't want to do a completely new game. I want to do a new game + with maxed personality stats and maybe some powerful personas. Does anybody have a save I could use?

Minamu

Is it okay to not have a death card on me when I try to raise said social link? I mean, the link level up no matter what so there's no need to boost points, similar to the hermit. Right? :)

Jirotrom

johnsmith said:
So I'm going to replay this on pcsx2, but I don't want to do a completely new game. I want to do a new game + with maxed personality stats and maybe some powerful personas. Does anybody have a save I could use?
pcx2 easy to get working now? id really like to rebuy this game as well as a few other games and play them in a higher resolution. my tv sucks at low resolutions

So I happened to get a week off of Uni and work this week, and I'm thinking of starting on playing Persona 4.

I only have untill sunday this week, but would I be able to complete (just credits, finish the story and no grinding and ultra level stuff) it with around 6-10 hours of play every day? Or would it take far more?

Curufinwe

It will take at least 60 hours IMO, unless you skip story stuff.

Minamu said:
Is it okay to not have a death card on me when I try to raise said social link? I mean, the link level up no matter what so there's no need to boost points, similar to the hermit. Right? :)

Death is automatic, you don't need a card.

rocK`

Banned
Re-posting from my original thread (Thanks Red Scarlet, didn't know this was alive after 2 years!)

I recently started this (~3 hours in). I haven't really played many SMT games other than Devil Survivor on the DS to which I can already draw a lot of parallels to. I'm assuming SMT games are very similar in thematically and sometimes aesthetically (didn't know personas and the monsters in DS were the same...).

Either way, I'm enjoying it right now. I'm wondering if they made a conscious decision to remove the bullet to the head to call a persona, if so, that's kinda lame.

The game recently took off it's 'training wheels' giving me more liberty to do as I please, which I'm indifferent about, I was happy with being told to go here do this, etc. I don't want to micromanage much (checking weather, etc.).

Oh well, I'll be back as I usually play 1-2 hours a day.

bon

Soo I never played this because P3FES totally burned me out. Now I'm starting to get in the mood, but I have a few questions before I invest the time and money.

What is the average play time? I hope it's not longer than P3.

How does the story compare? P3 kind of ran out of steam for a while.

Most importantly ARE THE DUNGEONS BETTER THAN TARTARUS?

Top Bottom