• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Red Scarlet said:
Pretty soon, you'll spend 1-2 hours making a single Persona! Or maybe that's just me.

Heh, light weight. Try 4. Best afternoon I ever spent.
I am NEVER doing that again no matter how addicting it will be in P5

Dresden

bon said:
Soo I never played this because P3FES totally burned me out. Now I'm starting to get in the mood, but I have a few questions before I invest the time and money.

What is the average play time? I hope it's not longer than P3.

How does the story compare? P3 kind of ran out of steam for a while.

Most importantly ARE THE DUNGEONS BETTER THAN TARTARUS?
About as long, story is good, and it's a much more convenient game to play. Quick travel, Go-homes, and party control.

bon said:
Soo I never played this because P3FES totally burned me out. Now I'm starting to get in the mood, but I have a few questions before I invest the time and money.

P4 took me 80 hours.

I want to say P4 is overall more engaging than P3.

The dungeons are a lot more varied than Tartarus.

Juno500

bon said:

All of my playthroughs of Persona 4 clocked in around 90-100 hours, whereas in Persona 3 I would clock in around 120 hours (This isn't including the FES additions, I'm talking only about The Journey). I've actually heard that plenty of people put in shorter times than this. I'm the kind of person who tends to take my time playing it, so depending on your style of play it might not be as long for you. Either way, I can assure you it's not as long as Persona 3.

The story is generally better IMO, but at the same time I kinda felt that the extra emphasis on story compared to P3 kinda hurt the pacing of the game. The introduction period was way too long.

I actually preferred Tartarus over the Midnight Channel, but I tend to be in the minority with this so you may prefer P4's dungeons more.

Red Scarlet

cosmicblizzard said:
Heh, light weight. Try 4. Best afternoon I ever spent.
I am NEVER doing that again no matter how addicting it will be in P5

He only said 1-2 hrs a day playing, so I went w/ that. My Daisoujou in Nocturne took about 6.

Red Scarlet said:
He only said 1-2 hrs a day playing, so I went w/ that. My Daisoujou in Nocturne took about 6.

Daaaamn. Okay, I lose. And yeah, I just skimmed through the thread and for some reason didn't look at the post above yours.

C-Jo

I can't believe what I'm reading. Anybody who has a problem with the job Atlus did localizing this game is absolutely insane and impossible to please to boot.

Red Scarlet

bon said:

The Giant Bomb guys took 99:59. Average folks take 80? My first was ~240 (P3 was 320 though). My 100% replays are about 80.

I liked 4's story better; it's a murder mystery instead of 'creepy end of the world doomsday'.

Each dungeon has its own music and layout. Most floors have random layouts, but some don't. The game structure is much more streamlined. I enjoy both games, but as any proper sequel does, 4 gets some of the kinks out from 3. It has some of its own some people would say, though.

bon said:
Alright, this game sounds good. I'll work it into my schedule even though next month is RPG heavy.

Have fun!

Dresden

I was done at 55 hours my first playthrough, but I didn't do any sidequests or fish, even. Did about half the social links.

A full 100% playthrough took 78 hours, but I had the benefit of it being a second playthrough, and I also had a clear idea of what social links to develop.

Juno500

Red Scarlet said:
I don't think I could do 55 if I tried.

Same here. I remember watching the Gametrailers review which estimated about 60 hours, and then when I finished the game I was all like "What the hell, how did they do it so fast?"

Dresden

My first playthrough ended with the bad ending, though. I didn't find out about the 'true' ending until I went online after I finished the game. :lol

rocK`

Banned
Red Scarlet said:

Maybe it's because I don't know anything, but how the f do you spend 6 hours making a persona??

Dresden

rocK` said:
Maybe it's because I don't know anything, but how the f do you spend 6 hours making a persona??
The skills inherited are random, so you start and cancel fusion until you get the set of skills you want.

I actually preferred the bad ending, by the way.
Nanako
dying made me tear up a bit, and it was odd to see such an happy ending for the 'true' ending later on. I thought it was better with a more bittersweet ending than what you actually got.

Red Scarlet said:
Pretty soon, you'll spend 1-2 hours making a single Persona! Or maybe that's just me.

I haven't played through on Hard yet, but it seems to me like Persona 4 is made so that you can get by on Normal without spending much time fusing (or possibly even any time at all, though I'd imagine you'd struggle at some points), but I'd imagine it becomes a lot more necessary on Hard. That's a good balance.

Red Scarlet

rocK` said:

I really wanted a certain set of abilities passed on to him. I like making good personas/demons.

Wish they would do away with the random persona skill inheritance. Makes no sense if the player knows what skills they want to inherit. Just makes the fusing more time-consuming.

Hopefully they fix it in Persona 5.

Agreed on random skill inheritance. Also the one change from P3 that I hated was that if you do new game+ your character goes back to level 1. It's actually the only reason I played through P3 twice and P4 once.

Red Scarlet

Just picking what you want would make it too easy to have godly personas. :(

And you can still buy your super personas in ng+, so level 1 really doesn't matter at all in p4.

C-Jo

I don't really mind the way skill inheritance works right now. The only thing I'd like to see added is a "re-roll" button.

Hugbot

Red Scarlet said:
Just picking what you want would make it too easy to have godly personas. :(
This is why I'm torn. It's annoying and dumb to have to go through the hoops to retry the fusion each time, but I also like that there's something to reward people being hardcore enough to go through it. A re-roll button would go a long way to split the difference, I think.

Edit: Right on C-Jo.

Red Scarlet

I just put the ones I'm gonna fuse at the top of the list next to each other, but a re-roll would be cool..until it's accidentally hit then I rage.

Minamu

What always bummed me was that there was no hold function. I mean, like on a one armed bandit or in blackjack (or some other card game I'm thinking of) where you can hold down one slot for one turn or so. Would've made it a lot more enjoyable for me at least. Like if you have 4 skill slots available for inheritance, why not be able to hold on to one of them & just randomize the othjer three?

Or hell, just let me pick between the ones available :p I don't care if it would be too easy. Too hard is boring :)

Oh, and deselecting all personas between every retry was tedious.

Minamu

No? Have I been doing it wrong all this time? :) For example, if I'm not pleased with the skills from a 2 persona fuse, I go out to the list, press O to deselect the second one, and again to get rid of the first one. Then select again & move the cursor up to the one I deselected first. Is that wrong? :S I might be remembering things wrong, Gods knows that happens a lot :)

Minamu

Oh yeah. Felt pretty darn clunky to me :) Too many button presses to redo something so simple. Spending 1-2 hours doing something that boils down to chance & a clunky system, ain't what I'd call fun times :) Something more streamlined & user friendly would be appreciated in a sequel.

Red Scarlet

Play 3, it was worse (after cancelling it would default to the top position Persona, and you could not arrange your persona without removing and rebuying them in order).

Minamu

I've been thinking about it for a long time now but I never get around to it :) Might have to get the psp version instead even though it kinda irks me. If my psp can even play it that is.

daemonic

Banned
Awesome awesome game. Just finished little a while ago at 95 hours total. WAY longer than I expected! I managed to max out about 6 social links, but not everyone I planned on. Final party consisted of Main Character at level 85, Chie, Kanji and Teddie around 80-82. Won the game using
Sandalphon, Metatron, Satan, and Loki

Honestly, I thought the localization was pretty damn good. Other than the inclusion of honorifics, I had no problems with the voice acting. They all had their own charm and the delivery was good overall. My only gripe is the excessive dialogues.. I know it's all part of the immersion and what not, but there were times where I just hit triangle to skip it all. I think I spent about 40 minutes at the most trying to fuse one particular persona.. but god, I never want to hear the Velvet Room music again lol.

Probably won't play it again, at least not for a very long time, but looking forward to P5 if it's ever announced.

Red Scarlet

Did you ever play P3?

Your avatar reminds me I still want to try getting a 100% compendium on Nocturne, but all those 'combo sacrifice' ones and 'upgrade' ones scares me away.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ugh so I'm debating whether to finish this game or move on to the next RPG in my backlog. I love it, but don't know if I want to dedicate the time.

About how many hours do I have left? I just beat the
8 Bit Dungeon

Ermac said:
Ugh so I'm debating whether to finish this game or move on to the next RPG in my backlog. I love it, but don't know if I want to dedicate the time.

About how many hours do I have left? I just beat the
8 Bit Dungeon

I'd say you're right around the halfway point, but maybe a little before. You've completed half the dungeons (if you go for the True Ending), but the second half of the game has more cutscenes and story events.

Red Scarlet said:
Your avatar reminds me I still want to try getting a 100% compendium on Nocturne, but all those 'combo sacrifice' ones and 'upgrade' ones scares me away.

I was able to do it, so I know you would be fine. :lol

The sacrifice-fusion ones are easy to take care of, they're really not any different from triangle fusions in Persona.

The trick with the upgrade demons is just to get some demon that's levelled up a ton of times and use it as a sacrifice every time. That'll gain most demons enough levels right off the fusion that you just have to level them one or two times to unlock the upgrade.

Red Scarlet

I mean the ones that I probably won't figure out without reading a guide, like Uriel+Raphael+sacrificing Gabriel to make Michael or whatever. Those I won't figure out on my own.

Dresden

Hmm, I just listened through the drama CD on YouToob. Pretty inane, and nothing really happens, but it was nice hearing the characters again.

Koshimizu Ami certainly has a sultry voice, in-character and out.

I'm replaying this game and I've always wondered something: if I'm fusing a persona, is there a way for me to tell whether or not it's already in the compendium? Because I want to get to 100% but I don't want to refuse personas I already have...

vicissitudes said:
I'm replaying this game and I've always wondered something: if I'm fusing a persona, is there a way for me to tell whether or not it's already in the compendium? Because I want to get to 100% but I don't want to refuse personas I already have...
You have to check the compendium before you fuse, I believe. No other way.

I am now at the part where
we are revisiting the school of P3. The music alone send me way back to the game before... Man, PS3 was very good with the story. P4 is also good, but still, I feel something is missing.. But I'm having fun with the game, so...

Tamanon

Banned
kamikazekoala said:
I am now at the part where
we are revisiting the school of P3. The music alone send me way back to the game before... Man, PS3 was very good with the story. P4 is also good, but still, I feel something is missing.. But I'm having fun with the game, so...

It's probably that Persona 4 is missing a lot of the impetus for moving the story forward at first and mainly focusing on character interactions. That picks up a good amount in a month or two.

Top Bottom