• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TheExodu5 said:
p4_great_settings.png

*looks at shitty PC specs*
*tries starting PCSX2*
*crash*

-_-

btw why does it say 640x447 ? is that the game's "native" resolution ?

Tamanon said:
I bet if they do a P4P then Yosuke's S. Link will actually be less romantic.

Not if we have the option to play as a female protagonist
which will just be the male design at the cross-dressing beauty pageant

Tamanon

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Not if we have the option to play as a female protagonist
which will just be the male design at the cross-dressing beauty pageant

Nope, I think the female version of the MC wouldn't have as much crying and hugging!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i started playing this from scratch again, and i can't believe how much exposition they make you sit through before you actually start 'playing'. that could have been done a million times better. what is it, like 3 hours of watching cutscenes?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Just got Persona 4, and I'm liking it a whole lot so far. The ability to enable turn-based combat is a great improvement, but since the party system is still designed around AI partners, the rpg parts are pretty gimped. I haven't made many links yet, so I hope the dating-sim style stuff pulls it's weight.

One thing that is really getting on my nerves is Teddie. Does he eventually stop talking over the fights? Because so far Every knockdown, every critical, every kill he's yelling the same lines over and over.

bistromathics said:
One thing that is really getting on my nerves is Teddie. Does he eventually stop talking over the fights? Because so far Every knockdown, every critical, every kill he's yelling the same lines over and over.
Yes, but only because you'll eventually get someone else who will talk over every fight, just like in Persona 3.

Tamanon

Banned
Persona 3 and 4 are big believers in battle narration.

Although it's worth it for Teddie's condescending "Yaaaaay, Yosuke got a critical hit!"

Red Scarlet

Just go into the options and TURN OFF VOICE ACTING or whatever the option is when you go into a dungeon; that way the 'narrator' will stfu.

Red Scarlet said:
It's not impossible to like fps and rpg games.

I wouldn't generalize that, I play both too, I lurk in both threads, hence I noticed.

But I had generalized that kylej probably doesn't play Persona. You seen him post in the HaloGAF thread? I had him typecast. But again obviously it's my bad.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I AM JOHN! said:
They shouldn't. :|

They will. :(

They should!

At the very least it'd be funny to see how they try to make the guys more appealing than they actually are. They went out of their way to hit nearly every single trope for the girls, but with the guys they are all fairly similar. Heck, out of the guys, Kanji's the only winner. :lol

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
do personas automatically register into the compendium when you catch them? can i win a battle, get persona 'foo', win another battle, get persona 'bar', replace 'foo' with 'bar', and have 'foo' registered when i go back to the velvet room?

Red Scarlet said:
It's not impossible to like fps and rpg games.
and yeah, for real. I've always considered myself a games appreciator and there are probably tons of people like that on gaf.

bistromathics said:
do personas automatically register into the compendium when you catch them? can i win a battle, get persona 'foo', win another battle, get persona 'bar', replace 'foo' with 'bar', and have 'foo' registered when i go back to the velvet room?

Yes, Personas automatically register once you get them for the first time, provided you keep it. If you're at the limit and dismiss the Persona you just got, it won't register. As long as you don't do that, you're fine.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yes, Personas automatically register once you get them for the first time, provided you keep it. If you're at the limit and dismiss the Persona you just got, it won't register. As long as you don't do that, you're fine.

Right i guess i skipped the "accept persona card" in my description. Thanks!

Red Scarlet

Yeah, take the card and it'll be registered afterward, so once you take it, do whatever with it. Try to have a couple slots just for picking up cards to add to the compendium while dungeoning.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
how 'bout using multiple persona in battle? is it just the one you have at the end of the fight that gets xp or is it split across the different ones you swapped out in a fight?

Steroyd

bistromathics said:
how 'bout using multiple persona in battle? is it just the one you have at the end of the fight that gets xp or is it split across the different ones you swapped out in a fight?

The Persona of the sun arcana, generally have the growth ability (Gdon has growth 2 i think), which lets you level them up without having to use them, you can then fuse that ability onto other persona's.

bistromathics said:

and yeah, for real. I've always considered myself a games appreciator and there are probably tons of people like that on gaf.

I'm almost positive it does.

Decided to continue my 2nd playthrough, I got sidetracked by other games. Also decided to not save over my completed game file in the future because I really wanted to start a new game but I didn't want to start from scratch. Also:

STEAKSTEAKSTEAKSTEAKSTEAKSTEAK

Red Scarlet

bistromathics said:

There's an ability called "Growth" that gives experience to that Persona as long as it is in your current roster. Growth 1 gives 25% xp, Growth 2 gives 50% xp, and Growth 3 gives 100%. The amount of experience depends on the level of the Persona; a lower level one will get more experience than what is said after a battle, one closer to the level of the main character will get the same amount, etc.

Cu Sith learns Growth 1, and he's level 9 or so, so you can get G1 for whatever pretty early on. Growth 2 isn't till a bit later, and 3 is a lot later.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Curufinwe said:
Best of the Giant Bomb Endurance Run, Episodes 61 -70.

SPOIILERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2n0T_2SM_4

Jeff's reaction to Vinny casting bufu on
Shadow Teddie
is priceless.

I approve of this person making a best of compilation. I've been itching to start watching the whole thing from scratch lately, which is having bad effects on my examination studies, this helps somewhat.

Red Scarlet

You mean like the Tarukaja spell? In Persona 3 and 4, yes it should. In Nocturne there was a physical attack buff spell (Tarukaja) and magic attack buff spell (Makakaja), but Tarukaja does both in P3/P4. The 'charge' skills are separate though, Power Charge is for physical stuff while Mind Charge is for magic stuff only.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
aiight 1 more:

If i've got a persona w/ a passive "silence boost" on me, but not equipped, will it help my currently equipped persona's chance of silencing an enemy? prolly not, right?

I checked faqs but can't really locate the info i'm looking for

ps: are there any passive abilitlies like this? kinda like growth but more of a buff on me?

Red Scarlet

If Persona A has Silence Boost + Foolish Whisper and you are equipped with Persona B that has Foolish Whisper and doesn't have Silence Boost, equipping Persona A will more likely inflict Silence via Foolish Whisper and Silence Boost. Passives are only for that Persona.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I almost wonder if they'd consider making the game easier by having passives effect "you" as long as the persona is in your possession.

I can understand why it'd be cheap to have Growth or the SP/HP regen skills work if you don't have the persona selected, but some of the buffs I wouldn't mind.

At the very least, it'd take some pressure off of the randomness of using.

bistromathics said:
aiight 1 more:

If i've got a persona w/ a passive "silence boost" on me, but not equipped, will it help my currently equipped persona's chance of silencing an enemy? prolly not, right?

I checked faqs but can't really locate the info i'm looking for

ps: are there any passive abilitlies like this? kinda like growth but more of a buff on me?

no.

Top Bottom