• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
firehawk12 said:
I almost wonder if they'd consider making the game easier by having passives effect "you" as long as the persona is in your possession.

I can understand why it'd be cheap to have Growth or the Mana/HP regen skills work if you don't have the persona selected, but some of the buffs I wouldn't mind.

At the very least, it'd take some pressure off of the randomness of using.

i wonder if they'd consider letting me make personas for party members :|

also a ball gag for teddie. dude will not shut the fuck up >:|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Curufinwe said:
Best of the Giant Bomb Endurance Run, Episodes 61 -70.

SPOIILERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2n0T_2SM_4

Jeff's reaction to Vinny casting bufu on
Shadow Teddie
is priceless.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!

And I totally forgot about the power outage thing. :lol

bistromathics said:
i wonder if they'd consider letting me make personas for party members :|

But you are ZERO!!!!!!! only you can have specialized persona.
And just wait until you get to OH SEMPAI girl. Although, I love Rise, so I didn't mind it at all. :lol

Red Scarlet

bistromathics said:
ps: are there any passive abilitlies like this? kinda like growth but more of a buff on me?

There's the auto buffs, which would do that. Auto-Tarukaja would have Tarukaja cast on you at the start of the battle (wears off just like the spell, and you must have that persona equipped before starting the battle).

bistromathics said:

Like I said earlier, TURN OFF VOICE while in dungeons, Teddie won't vocally say his stuff.

ultron87

I think my two favorite non-story moments captured in those Endurance Run videos are when their MC gets Hama'd by an eagle when they are rushing through a fight in the Ep. 76-90 video and when they are fighting the three mage things and have to vanish ball in the Ep. 41-50 purely because of Jeff's reaction to what happens to them.

I just love those moments because they just scream what SMT games really are about.

Red Scarlet

Yeah, the Vanish Ball part in dungeon 2 was probably my #1 battle moment for the whole thing. Such luck with surviving and the reactions to that and the moments immediately afterward were great.

Hahaha, I found a cool wallpaper.
1zb8l1x.jpg

C.T.

I need a persona 4 avatar. If someone is so kind creating or helping me find one I would bear him in mind. Picture of choice is Teddy in his graceful alice costume.

UC1 said:
I'm playing through this again, was just wondering, what happens if you don't save "the game" guy?

The same thing that happens if you don't save anyone else. You get a game over/option to go back in time.
Of course the reaction you get from the phone call isn't really sad like the other ones.

Here goes......

I bought this game in late-ish 2008 and played till I got to the door to the boss in Void Quest. I usually refuse help in any form so I kept trying to find a way in slowly....and slowly I stopped playing the game.

Now I just picked the game up again yesterday, remembering how much I was loving it and found the means to enter the boss door for Void quest.

I now have a bigger problem: All my characters have very very low SP and I have maybe 2 items that will increase the SP. Also, I tried leaving the dungeon but apparently I was on the last day (when the murder goes down) so by leaving the dungeon, I'm killing myself or setting myself back a whole week.

My last resort was the Fox for healing on the 8th floor, but every time I talk to him the price has risen!

Is there any advice from someone more familiar with circumstances like this in the game? Thanks!

sca2511

Incitemaybe said:
Here goes......

I bought this game in late-ish 2008 and played till I got to the door to the boss in Void Quest. I usually refuse help in any form so I kept trying to find a way in slowly....and slowly I stopped playing the game.

Now I just picked the game up again yesterday, remembering how much I was loving it and found the means to enter the boss door for Void quest.

I now have a bigger problem: All my characters have very very low SP and I have maybe 2 items that will increase the SP. Also, I tried leaving the dungeon but apparently I was on the last day (when the murder goes down) so by leaving the dungeon, I'm killing myself or setting myself back a whole week.

My last resort was the Fox for healing on the 8th floor, but every time I talk to him the price has risen!

Is there any advice from someone more familiar with circumstances like this in the game? Thanks!
I'm in the same situation

Incitemaybe said:
Here goes......

Even if you go broke, use the fox. Money isn't really much of an issue later in the game. Also, you should fuse a Black Frost.

cosmicblizzard said:
Even if you go broke, use the fox. Money isn't really much of an issue later in the game. Also, you should fuse a Black Frost.

Sounds good!

Now does the Fox raise the prices every time I speak to him? Maybe he's annoyed I'm patting him so much to encourage a lower price? :D

C-Jo

Incitemaybe said:
Now does the Fox raise the prices every time I speak to him? Maybe he's annoyed I'm patting him so much to encourage a lower price? :D

The more SP you've used, the higher the cost to replenish it.

In the words of Vinny, pay the man. Either that or hope for upright Judgement/Death cards.

C-Jo said:
The more SP you've used, the higher the cost to replenish it.

In the words of Vinny, pay the man. Either that or hope for upright Judgement/Death cards.

Well, that explains it.
Hopefully my usage of the last of my SP to kill monsters to get money balances out with the increasing price!

Incitemaybe said:
Well, that explains it.
Hopefully my usage of the last of my SP to kill monsters to get money balances out with the increasing price!

If you're having issues with SP, you might want to fuse a Persona with Invigorate. It really helps out with keeping your SP up during the dungeon crawling.

Also, a trick for keeping the price down. You can switch one of your characters out for a reserve with more (all if you haven't used them in this session) of their SP, thus decreasing the cost. Of course, that means that character won't recover their SP, but if you can't afford it, it's better than nothing.

Red Scarlet

Incitemaybe said:
Here goes......

There are several ways to get out of your problem without resorting to the 'go back a week game over'.

Try making personas for the main character to have 'Invigorate' abilities (Sarasvati can be made easily and cheaply at the point in the game you are at now). With Invigorate 2, your main character gets 5 SP recharged every round. So just go back to the first dungeon and recharge your SP. See if the price the fox wants for everyone else is payable/worth paying, and go go go.

See if the fox can be 'bought' at a lower price by using some inventory items on the other characters. Fox uses a simple formula that uses how much SP the party is missing multiplied by a yen value that lowers the higher the S Link with the fox is. I try to get the fox to 9 or 10 at that time period around my birthday and the 4th dungeon, so I think at that time it costs 10 yen an SP point or so.

If you are trying to just get money and fill up, go back to an earlier dungeon so the chests reset, and you can find SP items as well as some of the shuffle time cards that can get you more money (Tower, Temperance) to easily afford a fox trip.

Then there's the super shuffles, the upright Death and Upright Judgement, both of which will fill up the party's SP.

I'd just go searching for a Tower card then raid chests at the highest dungeon you can easily avoid monsters at and open 5 chests for up to 50,000. If you get Temperance, then look for gold hands or grouped-together areas to get more out of the Temperance Card's effect.

There's stuff like Cold Breeze too, which would be kind of like Invigorate 2, but I think you need to be in the high 30's to low 40's for stuff that normally gets it.

I think it goes down 5¥ per 1SP for each S Rank you are with the fox. Just grab a calculator, add up how many SP the current party is missing, and divide that number with the cost the fox gives you. That'll tell you how much he charges you per 1 SP. I think it starts at 95¥/1SP and ends at 10 or 15¥/1SP at max rank.

danmaku

Blueblur1 said:
I still need to finish this game. :p

Same here. I beat the Void quest, but after that I was really tired with the dungeon crawling and combat, and
it didn't look like the story was going to end soon
, so I stopped playing. I have about 45 hours in that savegame, am I far away from the end or not?

Thank you Red Scarlet and KuwabaratheMan! I now have a lot to work with, plus this makes it much better jumping back into the game after a year.

Ourobolus

Banned
danmaku said:
Same here. I beat the Void quest, but after that I was really tired with the dungeon crawling and combat, and
it didn't look like the story was going to end soon
, so I stopped playing. I have about 45 hours in that savegame, am I far away from the end or not?
3 (or 4, depending on the ending route)
dungeons left.

danmaku

Thanks.
3-4 more dungeons look tolerable. I feared that I was about halfway through the game, as some reviews mentioned that the game was 80 hours long. Maybe they were referring to a 100% personas, 100% social links run.

Minamu

danmaku said:
Thanks.
3-4 more dungeons look tolerable. I feared that I was about halfway through the game, as some reviews mentioned that the game was 80 hours long. Maybe they were referring to a 100% personas, 100% social links run.
It took me 82:46 hours to finish my first normal playthrough with the good ending & less than 70% personas (I think) & no maxed slinks outside my own party. Hell, I even completely missed 2 or 3 slinks I believe :lol

Red Scarlet

danmaku said:
Thanks.

Yeah, you're about halfway game-time-wise.

There are a LOT more cutscenes towards the end of the game, so you're definitely only halfway.

But for what it's worth, the dungeons only get quicker and easier, as the difficulty doesn't scale very well at all. Money becomes far less of an issue, which means you can buy more items and equipment, and if you're fusing Persona, you're approaching the point where you'll start making a few really powerful ones that you'll end up keeping for the rest of the game.

I absolutely blitzed through the last three dungeons. The last one in particular was laughably easy (except for the boss, of course).

Minamu

Well, if it's a chore, why bother? You can finish Mass Effect 2 with a 100% save file in less than those 40 hours (just under 38 hours for me with 100% & all DLC). I'd definitely pick a long-ass game over that. Also, it's not like you have to play those 40 hours in one sitting :)

Curufinwe

Minamu said:
It took me 82:46 hours to finish my first normal playthrough with the good ending & less than 70% personas (I think) & no maxed slinks outside my own party. Hell, I even completely missed 2 or 3 slinks I believe :lol

The Endurance Run took 99:59 hours, and I'd estimate they did about two thirds of the total S.Links.

Minamu

Curufinwe said:
The Endurance Run took 99:59 hours, and I'd estimate they did about two thirds of the total S.Links.
Yeah, I'm on episode 51 as we speak :D I checked my save file & I'm on July 11th on my second playthrough so once I reach that, I can start playing again & finish my guided complete s.links playthrough.

Red Scarlet

It's pretty easy to get all the links on 4, I've done it a couple times on my own from a brand new file. If you're doing New Game+ you shouldn't have any problem without a guide either.

Curufinwe said:

Probably more like 101 or 102 hours since they died a few times. Still can't believe the save was at exactly 99:59 :lol

Red Scarlet

I wonder if they believed people that the timer didn't stop at that minute and would have said 100hrs 0 mins if they waited a couple more sec.

Curufinwe

Yeah, I loaded up the final episode to double-check their time, and it's funny how sure Jeff is that the save time can't go past 99:59.

C-Jo

I purposely stayed away from this thread because I knew it was going to make me want to play P4 for a third time. I was right. :lol

I've lost my near mid game(was at the end of August) save of 70 + hours. To be rather frank I'll find it hard to motivate myself to start from the very beginning. I would imagine it would be best to play this exclusively during the summer or when Spring term classes are over. Nonetheless anyone ever had this problem?

C-Jo

I've had a few issues with corrupted saves when using the PS3's virtual memory card. But I've always been paranoid about stuff like that and make multiple saves.

C-Jo said:
I've had a few issues with corrupted saves when using the PS3's virtual memory card. But I've always been paranoid about stuff like that and make multiple saves.

Oh how I wish I had your foresight back then

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Man the voice acting is terrible. It's like being trapped in a weeaboo's mind. I had to turn it off.

Everything else is great, should have gone for the JP version.

Top Bottom