• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Volcynika

Well, just beat (first dungeon spoilers)
Shadow Chie
and that's all I'm doing for the rest of today until tomorrow evening after both my finals. I thought it was really cool how
the boss was a symbol of Chie having to more or less rely on other people to be strong and tall above everyone else

Shouta

zoku88 said:
Brothers? but....

Siblings has no ring to it. Besides, everyone on the internet is male. EVERYONE.

Blackjack said:
A little harder, solely because you can no longer recover all your SP by returning to the entrance.

Also, no more menu/stairs trick to maximize the first strikes.

You can get mid-dungeon SP heals from the cards but those are rare and there`s a nice method later. It`s subject to some 4-Koma P4 comics. :lol

Wilsongt said:
For the love of God. Longest. Intro. Ever. :lol

How long?

My friend started earlier but had to leave early and wanted to save but couldn't so he's just going to start over again. at first i joked and said it was 2 hours. it can't be that long right? :lol

Oh. i got my call from ashley earlier :lol. haven't actually picked up the game will do so right when the store opens tomorrow!

Volcynika

DMPrince said:
How long?

My friend started earlier but had to leave early and wanted to save but couldn't so he's just going to start over again. at first i joked and said it was 2 hours. it can't be that long right? :lol

Oh. i got my call from ashley earlier :lol. haven't actually picked up the game will do so right when the store opens tomorrow!

I fought my first battle a little over 2 and a half hours into the game.

Blackjack

DMPrince said:
How long?

Nah, it's not that long.

It's actually a little longer.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, every day you can save at home. Took me about 2 hours to finish the intro and start the mini-dungeon.

Now on to the actual first dungeon grind with the three of them!

zurra

question for those who have completed the japanese version:

do i have to do anything specific aside from the bonus dungeon to get the true ending? i don't want to end up crazy deep and realize i missed something halfway through. i already play the "turn over every stone, then turn it over again to make sure" way with RPGs, so most things won't go unnoticed... if there's a point like killing Ryoji in P3 or maxing your party's social links i'm sure i'll figure it out on my own, but if there are some other things you have to do then it's hard to say.

general response is fine, no spoilers please D:

Tamanon said:
Yeah, every day you can save at home. Took me about 2 hours to finish the intro and start the mini-dungeon.

Now on to the actual first dungeon grind with the three of them!

I'm VERY happy to hear that.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yaweee said:
Game Informer's review is up (they have a webpage???), far and away the lowest score for the game at 8 and 7.25. Main complaints were pacing and grinding.

A classic Game Informer review. Don't be too harsh on them though. Misfires will happen when you pick your score out of a hat and base your review on what you think others think of the game.

Shouta

zurra said:

do i have to do anything specific aside from the bonus dungeon to get the true ending? i don't want to end up crazy deep and realize i missed something halfway through. i already play the "turn over every stone, then turn it over again to make sure" way with RPGs, so most things won't go unnoticed... if there's a point like killing Ryoji in P3 or maxing your party's social links i'm sure i'll figure it out on my own, but if there are some other things you have to do then it's hard to say.

There is but it`s only right at the end. Nothing in the middle of the game.

MechaX

Fun game so far, but I have two pretty big (at least in my situation) complaints so far.

1. This intro is absurdly long. We're talking about an hour and a half to two hours here before reaching the first battle. Which brings me to another point.

2. I might have gotten a little overconfident by picking Expert mode just because I cleared P3 FES on Hard Mode and The Answer. Mostly because I got screwed over by the first boss and actually died (Damnit, why don't RPGs have a "Retry at Last Boss" Option?). And considering I didn't save on the beginning of the third day.. well, that's pretty much an entire hour down the drain.

A situation like this with any other game would have prompted me to hurl the game disc out the window right then, but considering it was still fun, I'll retry it. But losing that hour and a half or so is a major bummer, even though I concede that I was mostly my fault. After all, every hour during Final Exam period counts.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Just picked up the game along with the strategy guide. Very excited to play my first SMT game tonight. Ferricide would be proud of me.

kiryogi

Banned
zurra said:

you have to make precise choices at a certain point

Mejilan said:
Shocking.

Atlus + Amazon + Free Shipping usually = you'll see your shit in a week or two!
Admittedly, I did NOT get my Persona 4 today. But somehow, the social expansion thing did!

I dig how the only the first letter of Sunday, Monday, Tuesday are highlighted! :D

Weird thing for me, my social link expansion is to arrive this week, but my design works arrives next? And they both were shipped same way same day!

Yaweee

MechaX said:
Fun game so far, but I have two pretty big (at least in my situation) complaints so far.

1. This intro is absurdly long. We're talking about an hour and a half to two hours here before reaching the first battle. Which brings me to another point.

2. I might have gotten a little overconfident by picking Expert mode just because I cleared P3 FES on Hard Mode and The Answer. Mostly because I got screwed over by the first boss and actually died (Damnit, why don't RPGs have a "Retry at Last Boss" Option?). And considering I didn't save on the beginning of the third day.. well, that's pretty much an entire hour down the drain.

A situation like this with any other game would have prompted me to hurl the game disc out the window right then, but considering it was still fun, I'll retry it. But losing that hour and a half or so is a major bummer, even though I concede that I was mostly my fault. After all, every hour during Final Exam period counts.

I agree with pretty much both points, which are two of the most common complaints in the negative reviews so far.

People complained about Xenosaga's opening, but this is easily 2-3x as long, probably even more than that.

I don't mind the difficulty, but combined with unskippable cutscenes and the lack of save points before bosses, expert is going to be a giant pain in the ass. Oh, hello there, black knight guy! Would you like to one shot each of my party members in turn, and send me back to the first floor? Thank you!

Yama

Got my game, book and expansion pack today. Just a quick question. Upon ordering it was said to include a disc for extra social links, etc. Mine did not come with this bundled and after viewing the item details today it was not listed anymore. Was this taken out post-purchase? Not a big issue just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

NichM

Banned
Yama said:
Got my game, book and expansion pack today. Just a quick question. Upon ordering it was said to include a disc for extra social links, etc. Mine did not come with this bundled and after viewing the item details today it was not listed anymore. Was this taken out post-purchase? Not a big issue just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

That never existed. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the name of the swag bundle, the Social Link Expansion Pack? The SLEP only ever had the CD, calendar, Teddie plush, and T-shirt.

Blackjack

Forkball said:
So has Okami been dethroned when it comes to ungodly long openings?
No, because STUFF HAPPENS during Persona 4's opening.

And you can save and do it in chunks.

And you can hold triangle to speed up the text.

Forkball

You actually did something in KH2's intro though. In Okami you just pressed X/A while text slowly snailed its way across the screen as if a calligrapher lived inside your TV.

frogg609

I was hoping to be playing it today but instead Amazon sent me two expansion packs and no game. Sucks considering I clicked on only one of their links (for the expansion pack and the game) when I ordered it. Now I need to send one back and order the game again.

Does anyone know how much was saved ordering the expansion pack and game together? I know I'm losing out on some money because of this but i'm curious as to how much.

frogg609 said:
I was hoping to be playing it today but instead Amazon sent me two expansion packs and no game. Sucks considering I clicked on only one of their links (for the expansion pack and the game) when I ordered it. Now I need to send one back and order the game again.

Does anyone know how much was saved ordering the expansion pack and game together? I know I'm losing out on some money because of this but i'm curious as to how much.

Keep the second expansion pack.

It's selling on eBay for over $100.

Guled

frogg609 said:

dont curse, sell it someone else and but the game at gamestop right now

Yaweee

In P3, Shuffle Time required you to either end the battle with your MC or in an all-out attack. P2's mutations required you to end the battle in a fusion. Is there no such requirement here?

Costanza

Banned
Wow, I'm getting my ass completely handed to me by the boss at the end of the first dungeon. I'm playing on easy, too :lol

edit: Frogg, DO NOT send that back to Amazon. They've been selling for $175!

Yaweee

Costanza said:
Wow, I'm getting my ass completely handed to me by the boss at the end of the first dungeon. I'm playing on easy, too :lol

edit: Frogg, DO NOT send that back to Amazon. They've been selling for $175!

Easy is the same as normal, except for the continues. So, your reward for sucking on Easy and burning through continues quickly is that you get to play the rest of the game on normal.

It really strikes me as a bizarre distinction between difficulty levels.

Costanza

Banned
Yaweee said:
Easy is the same as normal, except for the continues. So, your reward for sucking on Easy and burning through continues quickly is that you get to play the rest of the game on normal.

It really strikes me as a bizarre distinction between difficulty levels.
FES really felt considerably easier than what I'm playing right now... :\ I even had 6 continues left at the end of that.

also at the beginning of P4, it said that battles will be easier. I don't remember P3: FES telling me that.

Yama

Game, Double Jump and Expansion make for one sexy package.

p4-1.jpg

While I don't usually use a guide, it is a Double Jump and will inevitably be rare within fifteen seconds of release. Can help with fusions too. :)

I really want to play Persona 4 now, but I make myself promise to beat Persona 3 FES first. I played persona 3 up to 60 hours and never finished it, so I'm replaying the game right now in FES.

my stats is already full since I'm loading my P3 save file, but it's still kinda boring to catch up to where I'm at in P3. I've been wondering whether I should put P3FES on hold for now and play P4...

wangman31888 said:
i wonder how much it will sell for next year when the calendar is outta date

You know, I so thought about that a few moments ago. XD

You read my mind, so you're psychic. SO WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME TO ORDER THE EXPANSION PACK? haha

Callibretto said:
I really want to play Persona 4 now, but I make myself promise to beat Persona 3 FES first. I played persona 3 up to 60 hours and never finished it, so I'm replaying the game right now in FES.

my stats is already full since I'm loading my P3 save file, but it's still kinda boring to catch up to where I'm at in P3. I've been wondering whether I should put P3FES on hold for now and play P4...

I just picked up P3:FES and I'm also wondering if I should stop and just jump into P4. I'm only about five hours in.

Tamanon

Banned
Holy crap, boss at the end of the first dungeon just kicked my ass!:( Gotta work on some better Personas dangit. At least something with Media will help.

Top Bottom