• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

NichM

Banned
john tv said:
Haha, you know your audience. :)

They were all "What's an SMT fan like?" and someone was like "Nich likes SMT a lot" and then they were all "Okay, let's just make shirts to fit him."

not a true story

zoku88

NichM said:
They were all "What's an SMT fan like?" and someone was like "Nich likes SMT a lot" and then they were all "Okay, let's just make shirts to fit him."

not a true story
:lol :lol :lol

Carmilla

Banned
I want to discuss the sexual orientation of a certain character and how Nich handled the situation but that's super major total spoiler material so I'll have to wait >.<

NichM said:

not a true story

:lol

Hy_

Persona 3 FES is still sitting on my shelf, haven't played through it yet, need to get on that! I guess the idea of playing the same dungeon over and over again is putting me off. I haven't even played a persona game before, missed out on the Persona games on the PSone. Plan on getting P4 since I'm an RPG/Loot whore.

Is each installment like the FF series? Some common elements but each game is self-contained?

Carmilla said:
I want to discuss the sexual orientation of a certain character and how Nich handled the situation but that's super major total spoiler material so I'll have to wait >.<

Hey, hey all in due time...should make said social link all the more "interesting".

Shouta

Carmilla said:

If you're thinking of who I'm thinking of, that was a red herring.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Is each installment like the FF series? Some common elements but each game is self-contained?

Uh...if you mean battle-wise, AFAIK it's fairly port-ish of the system, only you can control every party member now if you want.

If you mean thematically, most of the personae are similar (I think), so that's the same....

Overall, it's more of the same (which is amazing), except for the plot, which only has a few refs to P3, or so I gather from the OP. So in that regard, yes, it's self-contained.

NichM

Banned
Carmilla said:
-.-

There will be blood.

For what it's worth, I disagree with Shouta. Also, I'm flattered and all, but it's not quite accurate to say "the way Nich handled ____." There were 8 other people working on the project, after all. :)

NichM said:

not a true story
:lol

NichM said:
For what it's worth, I disagree with Shouta. Also, I'm flattered and all, but it's not quite accurate to say "the way Nich handled ____." There were 8 other people working on the project, after all. :)
I can't wait to see the result of your guys' work! :D Seriously, you have no clue how happy I was about that certain character--too awesome.

A free promotional shirt? Great! Another shirt I'll never be able to wear because I'm too tall.

Just kidding, you guys are great.

I'm still too tall for shirts not XT

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
holy shit, A+ in 1up? :O

I can't remember the last JRPG that scored that high in 1up.

P90

What is up with the XL-only shirt? Impossible to shrink that sucker down to someone who is average height and fairly fit. Off to do my yoga...

kiryogi

Banned
Anyone know when the social link expansion ships? Seems to be gone from Amazon. also since I got super saver shipping before, my shipping estimate is insane >_<

stawnkald

Man, you guys keep saying the XL shirt is too big, but for me...someone who is halfway between 6 and 7 feet tall...it's probably too short! :lol

Remember kids, tall people are people too, and not everyone who wears XL-Tall or XXL are fat fuckers. :p

Darkman M

stawnkald said:
Man, you guys keep saying the XL shirt is too big, but for me...someone who is halfway to 7 feet tall...it's probably too short! :lol

Remember kids, tall people are people too, and not everyone who wears XL-Tall or XXL are fat fuckers. :p

Gotta remember the adv gaffer doesn't work out and is either 130lb scrawny weakling or 5'6 230 pimple face fat guy

Anyways would you guys really wear the shirt out in public? I thought it was more of a collectors item :lol

Carmilla

Banned
NichM said:

Well I read the interview on 1up.com (some of those questions were worded SO poorly), and I'm extremely excited for the game so a big thank you to the rest of the translation team!

The only reason I ask is because in most games that deal with the alternative orientation (the most recent example being the otherwise phenomenal Valkyria Chronicles) tend to branch into stereotype levels. To be honest, I suppose I should be glad that any character of that particular orientation being in a game nowadays is even possible.

Lord knows as a medium, videogames aren't exactly progressive in that regard

stawnkald

Darkman M said:
Anyways would you guys really wear the shirt out in public? I thought it was more of a collectors item :lol

My wife usually takes control of my video game related shirts as sleepwear, actually.

I eagerly await the first night with a Persona 4 shirt. Rawr.

Shouta

NichM said:
For what it's worth, I disagree with Shouta.

Well, the devil is in the details. It'll really depend on what exactly we're talking about. Can discuss it when the time comes or we can do it in the JP P4 thread. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Error said:
holy shit, A+ in 1up? :O

I can't remember the last JRPG that scored that high in 1up.
I just looked it up and its happened 5 other times in their history:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
KOTOR
WOW: Burning Crusade

Dash

Darkman M said:
Gotta remember the adv gaffer doesn't work out and is either 130lb scrawny weakling or 5'6 230 pimple face fat guy

>_>: I'll leave it at that.

Anyways, can't wait for P4. I'll have to rush to finish FES before this sucker arrives.

Volcynika

stawnkald said:
My wife usually takes control of my video game related shirts as sleepwear, actually.

I eagerly await the first night with a Persona 4 shirt. Rawr.

I'm trying to make a Persona 4 related joke about that, but I can't think of a damn thing. :(

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Rekki-Maru said:
KOTOR, jrpg confirmed?
I didn't see a reason to exclude the WRPGs since there were only two of them and its pretty silly to exclude them in the first place.

Ack, I never finished The Answer. I suppose I should go and rush through that before I get engrossed in P4...can't believe this game is almost out. I tend to completely ignore a game 'til it's about to come out, then get super-excited. I'm about to move into the final phase, I think. :D

Carmilla

Banned
Shouta said:
Well, the devil is in the details. It'll really depend on what exactly we're talking about. Can discuss it when the time comes or we can do it in the JP P4 thread. :lol

Hmmm...I can't imagine most people will get to the point when it doesn't become a spoiler for a few weeks now >.<

daegan

I'm just hoping that the P4 guide doesn't have downright wrong information like the P3 guide does in a lot of places.

I can't remember where it is but at one point the guide tells you to stock up on a certain item to dispel a particular status effect...and then you find out that item doesn't dispel that effect.

I remember being a little frustrated with the table as well once or twice, but the answers were spot on for the S.Links!

I'm still looking forward to it as the P3 guide was very pretty. (I wish they would freaking spiral bind them though... >/ WHY IS SPIRAL BINDING MORE EXPENSIVE IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE)

already pre-ordered.

very important: thanks to atlus for not making the bonuses shitstop only. saves me the trouble of tracking that stuff later on.

Teknoman

Waiting on it to arrive from Amazon (ordered it waaay back when people posted about all the stuff you get with the game if you preordered it). Though im with everyone who thinks companies should stop packing big ass t-shirts in with games. At least make a way to designate what size you want.

I guess after I finish P4, i'll be able to play P2: Innocent Sin translation, especially since we probably wont see a console Megaten RPG for awhile....in english anyway.

Darkman M said:

Heh yay for being different then? :lol Anyway, i'd prefer a white t-shirt with some P4 design on it, or a black one...maybe even blue. Probably wont end up wearing it, but my opinion on big ass shirts still stands.

kiryogi

Banned
Teknoman said:
Waiting on it to arrive from Amazon (ordered it waaay back when people posted about all the stuff you get with the game if you preordered it). Though im with everyone who thinks companies should stop packing big ass t-shirts in with games. At least make a way to designate what size you want.

I guess after I finish P4, i'll be able to play P2: Innocent Sin translation, especially since we probably wont see a console Megaten RPG for awhile....in english anyway.

Heh yay for being different then? :lol Anyway, i'd prefer a white t-shirt with some P4 design on it, or a black one...maybe even blue. Probably wont end up wearing it, but my opinion on big ass shirts still stands.

Well the social link expansion does get a black one with Yukiko's persona on it.

Teknoman

I might have to look into that then.

Also Persona 4's soundtrack sounds alot closer to Persona 2. Just started tracking down clips of the music.

Forkball

I really couldn't care less about t-shirts. The art book is more interesting to me. At least then I can be a nerd in private.

It'll be interesting to see how the tweaks in Persona 4 work out. I enjoyed Persona 3 (put about 25 hours into it over the summer, and then recently picked it back up again) but there were many things that bugged me. I hated how there were limited save points in Tartarus. Considering that in many battles if you missed your attack you could be screwed and die due to some cheap enemy tactic, save points should be far more frequent. Also I hate hate HATED how when you got to a blocked off area, there was only a teleporter and not a save point. So when that area became unlocked, you couldn't just warp to that floor, you had to go through five other floors just to get to it. What is the point of that? Bad game design, that's what!

Also I felt that the social links were too strict. If you wanted to max out as many as possible you pretty much needed a day by day guide in your lap. Also trying to increase stats such as academics was a real drag.

Persona 4 does seem like it fixes a lot of these issues. Seems like there's only 10 floors to pass before you get to a save point (an upgrade from the 13-15 floors you had to trek through) and the conditions are gone, so I don't have to leave the dungeon because one of my party members got too beat up in a battle. I also heard the social links are more lenient. I am a bit worried about the difficulty though. Call me a wimp, but I still have battle scars from Nocturne and I'm always cautious when I buy a SMT game. People have said that it's harder, which I don't mind as long as it's the good kind of hard (ie interesting and complex boss battles) and not the bad kind of hard (instant hit kills and one save point per 15 floors looooool).

I'm 90% sure that I'm going to pick it up, but damn you Atlus if these tweaks and upgrades are replaced by more, even annoying peeves.

Teknoman

Forkball said:
I really couldn't care less about t-shirts. The art book is more interesting to me. At least then I can be a nerd in private.

It'll be interesting to see how the tweaks in Persona 4 work out. I enjoyed Persona 3 (put about 25 hours into it over the summer, and then recently picked it back up again) but there were many things that bugged me. I hated how there were limited save points in Tartarus. Considering that in many battles if you missed your attack you could be screwed and die due to some cheap enemy tactic, save points should be far more frequent. Also I hate hate HATED how when you got to a blocked off area, there was only a teleporter and not a save point. So when that area became unlocked, you couldn't just warp to that floor, you had to go through five other floors just to get to it. What is the point of that? Bad game design, that's what!

Also I felt that the social links were too strict. If you wanted to max out as many as possible you pretty much needed a day by day guide in your lap. Also trying to increase stats such as academics was a real drag.

Persona 4 does seem like it fixes a lot of these issues. Seems like there's only 10 floors to pass before you get to a save point (an upgrade from the 13-15 floors you had to trek through) and the conditions are gone, so I don't have to leave the dungeon because one of my party members got too beat up in a battle. I also heard the social links are more lenient. I am a bit worried about the difficulty though. Call me a wimp, but I still have battle scars from Nocturne and I'm always cautious when I buy a SMT game. People have said that it's harder, which I don't mind as long as it's the good kind of hard (ie interesting and complex boss battles) and not the bad kind of hard (instant hit kills and one save point per 15 floors looooool).

I'm 90% sure that I'm going to pick it up, but damn you Atlus if these tweaks and upgrades are replaced by more, even annoying peeves.

Its SMT. Just buy it. If you dont like it then you can always wait till its rare and sell it for twice the price right?

Forkball

Atlus' reprints are pissing me off though. I could've made a fortune on Disgaea but noooo they had to reprint it and release it on every handheld known to man. Not even Persona 2 is safe. Is this the end of people shamelessly hocking old niche titles to get a few extra bucks?

Top Bottom