• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Volcynika

Forkball said:
Atlus' reprints are pissing me off though. I could've made a fortune on Disgaea but noooo they had to reprint it and release it on every handheld known to man. Not even Persona 2 is safe. Is this the end of people shamelessly hocking old niche titles to get a few extra bucks?

NIS America says hi!

Forkball

Damn kids with your NIS America. When I first played Disgaea, there was no NIS America. Now get off my lawn and let me solve my game cassettes.

Carmilla

Banned
Forkball said:
Atlus' reprints are pissing me off though. I could've made a fortune on Disgaea but noooo they had to reprint it and release it on every handheld known to man. Not even Persona 2 is safe. Is this the end of people shamelessly hocking old niche titles to get a few extra bucks?

Don't be part of the problem!!

I tend to purchase the 1st prints of Atlus games anyway but the more people that get to play these games the better!

zurra

Certainly my most anticipated game of the year... been sporting Chie over <--- there since the first scans surfaced. Everything about it looks even better than Persona 3, which is I love quite a bit besides the AI during boss fights and a few of the songs. More personality in the characters, social links with party members, and the dungeons/overall setting having a lot more appeal are just a few of the strong points. Oh yeah, fishing!

Just one question, though. Is the Peniswagon in this game?

Carmilla

Banned
zurra said:
Certainly my most anticipated game of the year... been sporting Chie over <--- there since the first scans surfaced. Everything about it looks even better than Persona 3, which is I love quite a bit besides the AI during boss fights and a few of the songs. More personality in the characters, social links with party members, and the dungeons/overall setting having a lot more appeal are just a few of the strong points. Oh yeah, fishing!

Just one question, though. Is the Peniswagon in this game?

Leave Mara alone!

Carmilla

Banned
zurra said:
Serious question! I never got to make one during The Answer...

It was easier to make her in The Journey, as far as fusion goes. It wouldn't surprise me if she's in the game though, the Demon list is massive in this game.

zurra

Carmilla said:
It was easier to make her in The Journey, as far as fusion goes. It wouldn't surprise me if she's in the game though, the Demon list is massive in this game.
Not if you played the original Persona 3 before there was The Journey, though. :( After 190 hours I didn't feel like doing it again was necessary!

Yaweee

Though I don't think anybody gives a damn about The Portland Mercury, they posted a P4 review today.

I've been meaning to go on and on about this one for the last month, but thanks to Atlus' embargo I metaphorically stapled my mouth shut and cut off all my fingers.

That embargo ended yesterday and my fingers grew back this morning, so here's the scoop: Persona 4 is the best game released this year.

"But Nexy! It's on the PlayStation 2! And it's hyper-Japanese! And ... and ... and ..." I hear you crying before you collapse out of frustration and lack of oxygen.

True, the game will hit a "dead" console on December 9, but like the Little Engine That Could, Persona 4 simply does its thing without any regard to your preconceived (and frankly racist) notions on antiquated technology.

Its "thing," by the way, is a super immersive, massively stylized roleplaying epic. Think Final Fantasy minus the masturbatory, angst-ridden characters and pretentious storyline, then blended seamlessly with the hippest anime to ever leak out of Japan's tentacled womb. This is the gaming equivalent of "that movie" that you ask people about to gauge how hip they are, and spend hours at parties explaining to pretty girls who stare at you with a mix of grudging attraction and vague annoyance.

I could go on for pages explaining the storyline or the various traits of the game's cast, but instead I'll say this: If the 'net had evolved to the point where I could hold a gun to your head and force you to buy Persona 4, I'd still just suggest politely that you purchase it. I'm not a monster, after all.

http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2008/12/02/mini_reviews_persona_4_ncaa

I was wondering where this thread was! I'm all set, had the game pre-ordered since the bonuses were announced and I should be getting my Double Jump guide in the mail this week. I had to pass on the Social Expansion Pack because of the shirt size. Although I've been anticipating lots of games this holiday, Persona 4 has never left the front of the pack for me. I intended to wait until after Christmas to play it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to resist once it's in my hands.

After playing Persona 3 I'm not getting the spectacular reviews if it's mostly the same thing, i.e. hours of grinding with a simple combat system and inefficient dating-sim time management. The best part of the game was the fusion, however that's pretty much been the same thing for all of the SMT games. Have any of the reviewers stated that the writing was vastly improved over 3 or anything along those lines?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I have this preordered, of course. That said, I really should give P3 or P3 Fes a shot one of these days. They're sitting on my PS2 shelf, looking all forlorn. :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Duck Amuck said:
For me it was one of the few games period. I tend to get bored around hour 80 in most games. I think there's maybe 2-3 more games in my life I've spent nearly as much time playing.
I was mesmerized when I looked at my endgame time (around 120h, and I still didn't do a load of stuff). Seriously, the game can be fairly repetitive and slow at times but it's just so damn fun and addictive. "Ok, just one more day". :lol

I finished the original and all but I wish I had the time to play The Journey in Fes before P4 (only played The Answer). I'll still try to do so in the future to see the differences and additions, but I have the feeling it will be a bit hard to go back after this one since it looks like the mechanics will be much better.

Paznos

Man I really need to pre-order this but completely broke, is the art book only available with the pre-orders?

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm definitely going to pick this up as soon as break starts. Persona 3 was really interesting, and while I didn't enjoy all of it, I'm interested to see how the formula progresses.

I still have to finish Nocturne, too. That's a hard game to get into.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Word. Pre-ordered last week at GS. Think I'm gonna play this alongside Fallout 3 & Chrono Trigger and finally solve the riddle of stopping time altogether. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Kagari said:
Anyone know if stores have the artbooks yet?

Just went to put in my preorder today and they hadn't received them yet at Gamestop.

And if people are wondering why I waited so long to preorder, I was holding out hope the release date on the Best Buy website was legit for them, or that my local store would break street date, since it's listed as today. But alas, it's now just listed as backordered(I assume because it hasn't shipped:lol )

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've read people saying the bear is a great character. I really don't know what to expect of him.

Yaweee

Hardcoregamer.com, 4.75/5
"Atlus has really created something special with Persona 4, because it still maintains the freshness of Persona 3, while also being different and in many ways superior...there is no excuse for missing this game."

Boooooooooooo to the disc art. I loved how FES' art was the school symbol. They should have kept that same theme here.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I hope they tweaked the formula since P3. The main flaw of that game was rhythm, it was too heavily enforced, but it sucked; too predictable, and after a while, it boiled down to burning time till full moon, beat boss, climb up tartarus another x floors, burn another 30 days => repeat*12. Maybe getting tired much much faster (and it being a much worse effect) would actually force you to space dungeoneering and be more careful about your party strategy and daytime planning. Nothing worse than "fuck, not another 30 days of school to advance in tartarus". And the days were so predictable too.
Also, AI *barf*. I want my games to be about strategy, not luck.
I will play another fucking 200 hours of this anyway :( the flesh is weak :lol

Kevtones

Game Crazy has received the artbooks and they are FUCKING AWESOME.

Holy shit guys. I couldn't take it home yet but I looked through it and its one of the best PO gifts ever. They outline all the characters (in their various emotional states) and the Persona art is fantastic. The quality is topnotch as well. Page count was pretty damn high too.

Everyone will be very pleased :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Duck Amuck said:
Jeez. Is there any site with hi res P4 art?
http://p4.atlusnet.jp/download/wallpaper.html

and if its a banner you are trying to make you could always just go the easy route and use the one Atlus Japan made:

2z3xjqp.jpg

Shouta

The entire cast is pretty funny actually. A lot more amusing to watch than the P3 cast when it comes comedy to be honest.

Top Bottom