• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

NichM

Banned
2eajbxv.jpg
2qi04f6.jpg

One of you really needs to change your avatar!

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but...

OMG TANAKA OMG TANAKA OMG TANAKA! I get to have his song stuck in my head every sunday for the rest of the game!!! YEAH! :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Early September spoilers about a P3 character.

Chihiro has really matured and gotten quite confident! And I'm pretty sure she's got Euphemia's voice from Code Geass.

Kanji is a great character. He's like that one angsty asshole from P3, except he actually turns out to be a decent person instead of staying a massive asshat to the end.

Also, let me throw out a guess about the boy Kanji was walking with:

Not really a boy, right? Which is why he got confused about being attracted to "him." Well, that's my guess, anyway.

I decided to give P4 a shot since I have christmas break coming up.
Holy Fucking Shit
I haven't played any of the Persona games before, but this is quite possibly the best RPG I have played in quite some time. The art style, music, UI, battle system, everything is amazing. I put 3 hours into the game without realizing it.:lol

So tl;dr version, +1 Persona convert.:D

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like how a bunch of the s.links are people that play a big role in the story. Like the MC's family, and the rest of the playable characters. the MC's cousin is pretty cool, I thought she was going to be irritating but her singing the Junes jingle made her cool in my book. the MC's uncle is another pretty cool character. the s.links with the PC directly affect their behavior in battles, another great touch.

I'm pretty impressed with this game, even though at its heart it's just P3.5. The package is so polished and full of little details that make the game really shine. This team is extremely talented, the director hasn't directed a shit game yet (SMT3, DDS1, P3 and now this)... dude obviously knows what he is doing, and he is surrounded by some of the best writers in the gaming industry right now IMO. I like how they can tackle this modern life setting with ease and make an incredible cast of characters full of depth. I tip my hat to these dudes.

So far this is a 10/10, it's the best game I've played this year. The old PS2 is above the 360 in my setup, as it should rightfully be. because really, that motherfucker is still king, giving me awesome games STILL. Next-gen consoles should be fucking ashamed seriously.

Just started my game. About 3 hours in so far...and I've
fought exactly two battles.
:lol

I didn't think it was possible to have a longer intro than Xenosaga, but they found a way, man.

Still, really enjoying it. Although there hasn't been much chance to explore yet, I'm enjoying the characters and world.

The music is great, too, and I'm definitely digging the intrigue.

Can't wait to get deeper into the battle system and everything.

Error

Yeah I think the pacing is off in the intro, P3 did a better job at easing the player into the setting and its characters without so much exposition at the very beginning.

Error said:
Yeah I think the pacing is off in the intro, P3 did a better job at easing the player into the setting and its characters without so much exposition at the very beginning.
Funnily enough I am 3 hours in and am on the 5th floor of the first dungeon. I didn't think the intro was too long or boring.

mjc

I just opened up my copy from Amazon and the manual had a giant rip in the top right corner from coming loose during shipping. Would Atlus have access to extra manuals if I was willing to pay for one?

darkressurection said:
Funnily enough I am 3 hours in and am on the 5th floor of the first dungeon. I didn't think the intro was too long or boring.

I didn't think it was boring, but it was pretty long. I would have liked a few opportunities to just explore the area during that time.

mjc said:
I just opened up my copy from Amazon and the manual had a giant rip in the top right corner from coming loose during shipping. Would Atlus have access to extra manuals if I was willing to pay for one?

oh man that sucks, i dunno how you would even go about trying to contact them about that. i guess just email them through their website and ask

Error said:

agreed, i found myself clicking through the convos because the beginning was a bit slow

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I didn't think it was boring, but it was pretty long. I would have liked a few opportunities to just explore the area during that time.
I do agree that they should have at least let you walk between areas yourself.:lol

Tetsuo9

holy shit I just got killed in 4th dungeon
by a fucking pyramid thing that spams Megidolaon and that just doesn't die, losing a good 45 min of my life
:(

Error

<3 Margaret

"You know why I wanted you to make that beast? Because even boys like you harbor such creatures. I would like to ride in it... but it's too hot"
awesome.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I begin to suspect that every dungeon in this game is some thematic variation of the love hotel portion of Persona 3.

JudgeN

So how much is this game like P3? Will I get that been there done that feeling? Should I buy even thought I haven't beat P3? Help me decide how I should spend some Christmas money.

I can't get enough out of this game. Just did a full 12-hour run and am still in the 3rd dungeon.

P4 Pros:
Daisuke <3
Social Link Interactions (w/ others and not just you)
Battle Tweaks

P4 Cons:
*Figuring out clues of the mystery BEFORE the characters do
Ridiculously long intro

Other than that, this is GOTY imo. :D

*A statement no longer true.

2DMention

Banned
diablopanqueque said:
I can't get enough out of this game. Just did a full 12-hour run and am still in the 3rd dungeon.

P4 Pros:
Daisuke <3
Social Link Interactions (w/ others and not just you)
Battle Tweaks

P4 Cons:
Figuring out clues of the mystery BEFORE the characters do
Ridiculously long intro

Other than that, this is GOTY imo. :D

How long is the intro before you get into the meat of the game? I'm still waiitng 1/2 hour in.

Guled

this sucks, amazon said my copy will ship after in Jan now. I canceled and now I have to try to find the game now, there is no way I'll be getting the artbook now :( I was really exited for it too. Is there anyway I can buy the artbook directly from atlus or something?

TimeKillr

Got an email from Amazon.ca.. :(

So now the game's shipping from them on tuesday. I should have just ordered the social link pack from them and got the game somewhere else.. I don't understand why it's always taking the canadian store so long to get releases.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Error said:

I absolutely love the beginning. It's as if you are witness to the birth pangs of a decidedly heavy murder mystery, one that ups the ante the way good novels do: in little bits. Creepy, otherworldly little bits.
(stumbling onto the room with the blood-spattered walls and make-shift noose was disturbing/fascinating)

Tamanon

Banned
Why do I get the feeling that one of the events from the School Trip in September will have a pretty big impact on the end of the game?

Mr E gives you a lecture about Japanese mythology and tells a tale of Izanagi the original MC persona and Izanami

anyone know where i can get a strategy guide?

i've looked everywhere and no one in my city has them...

and amazon.ca dosn't have them...

and i'd rather not go to ebay with the shitty canadian dollar... :(

kiryogi

Banned
Tamanon said:
Why do I get the feeling that one of the events from the School Trip in September will have a pretty big impact on the end of the game?

Mr E gives you a lecture about Japanese mythology and tells a tale of Izanagi the original MC persona and Izanami

It's a great mythology lesson! Not many people know about their origins. I've always found it to be a fascinating but tragic story.

Blackjack

bob_arctor said:
I absolutely love the beginning. It's as if you are witness to the birth pangs of a decidedly heavy murder mystery, one that ups the ante the way good novels do: in little bits. Creepy, otherworldly little bits.
(stumbling onto the room with the blood-spattered walls and make-shift noose was disturbing/fascinating)
Until Yosuke decided to pee all over the wall, anyway.

Question to who finished it, is it possible to do everything in one run? When I finish it I want to play it again from scratch, and by possible I mean doable even if a few mistakes are made unlike FES.

I gotta say I'm still annoyed how characters just announce how they feel but heck I'm loving this game anyway, way better than P3 so far.

TimeKillr

dustytruly said:
anyone know where i can get a strategy guide?

i've looked everywhere and no one in my city has them...

and amazon.ca dosn't have them...

and i'd rather not go to ebay with the shitty canadian dollar... :(

I got mine from Doublejumpbooks.com, the guys who make em.

Took a while to get here to Canada but it's worth it :)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Holy shit @ the empress commu once you get around 5.

Margaret totally wants to jump my bones.

It's a great mythology lesson! Not many people know about their origins. I've always found it to be a fascinating but tragic story.

On that note, I still really love it that if you just click on the persona and go to the left, it shows all of their origins. Always love reading through those.

TimeKillr said:
I got mine from Doublejumpbooks.com, the guys who make em.

Took a while to get here to Canada but it's worth it :)
yeah that's what i'm considering doing... they seen to have a good price as well

thanks for the help :)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've now drawn 3 persona cards in a row so I guess I'm getting the hang of the shuffle system ....still don't like it. Other than that, its as great as P3 so far.

JEKKI

dustytruly said:
yeah that's what i'm considering doing... they seen to have a good price as well

thanks for the help :)
try using the coupon code "cyber" when you check out on doublejumpbooks webstore.

it was their cyber monday coupon which knocked $6.30 off your basket!!

who knows... it may still work!

that's how I got my guide btw! awesome sauce!

JEKKI said:
try using the coupon code "cyber" when you check out on doublejumpbooks webstore.

it was their cyber monday coupon which knocked $6.30 off your basket!!

who knows... it may still work!

that's how I got my guide btw! awesome sauce!
thanks man! it worked :D

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Y2Kev said:
Finally have my copy

autoadvancing text fuckkkk yes

GS on 14th didn't have any that time I told you? Also, what's the autoadvance about--does it simply allow you to skip text during spoken portions? I think the manual states it syncs up dialogue or something. Just looking for clarification.

Blackjack

bob_arctor said:
GS on 14th didn't have any that time I told you? Also, what's the autoadvance about--does it simply allow you to skip text during spoken portions? I think the manual states it syncs up dialogue or something. Just looking for clarification.
Auto advance will automatically advance the dialog boxes when there's voice acting, so you don't have any awkward pauses waiting for the X button to be pressed.

Top Bottom