• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 delayed to April 4, JP voices available as free DLC at launch

When will Persona 5 actually be released in the west?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is the game still coming out? Will I still be able to play it?

Yes? Then I don't care one bit. I'll play it in April instead of February—nothing has changed. Well, except now I'm getting more than I was expecting before, and that's a good thing.
You-You can't be rational here!!! This is NeoGAF! Where one tv show host's opinion of a game means everything to many here! Also where dubs are inferior to subs!

It'll be fine once everyone (including me) calms down.

Still salty about the delay though.

VegiHam

As in you think including the Japanese audio that's already recorded is the reason? The subs would have to exist either way, and including existing audio tracks would add (virtually) no time.

Yeah. If it were easy to do, they'd have done it already. So it must take work. Delay causing work.

Game set in Japan -> Japanese Voices
Game set in the US -> English voices
Game set in Hungary -> Give me Hungarian voices if possible.

Nioh for example is doing a great job as well. The MC is from the UK and only speaks English in game while the Japanese characters only speak Japanese. It just feels "right" for me.

Probably not the same reason for most, but for me it is.

Okay, I get this. In theory. Still seems weird though to choose to listen to the equivalent of incomprehensible noise (assuming you don't speak Japanese). That's make me less immersed, not more.

Kthulhu

Welcome to subs vs. dubs debates! Stepped in superiority.

I know it's a dubs vs subs debate. I assumed that all of our maturity levels was above high school level.

Nothing wrong with having preference, but saying one is inferior objectively or insulting people for liking one or the other is where I have a problem.

Hikami

Why does everyone want dual audio so much? The English VAs for 3 and 4 were pretty good

I liked them but they kept changing them every game while the Japanese ones stayed the same as far as I know.
Really hated that, they felt like strangers to me with the new voices.

I feel like they're going to do the same with P5 so I'm just going with the Japanese voices this time.

ChrisD

I'm blaming this on the guys who said they wouldn't buy it due to lack of JP voice acting.
You got it, but at what cost?

AT WHAT COST?!

I know it's not the reason, but UGH, I don't give a single care about Japanese Voicework in Persona, I just want the game!

Seda

Personally, Japanese voices just don't do much for me. I just start tuning out the voices and reading instead - not paying attention to the things they are verbally saying.

That said, Dual Audio should be included whenever possible, and everybody is happy.

JC Lately

I know I post this every time this game gets delayed but:

Good! Now I can finish P4 Golden. And Arena. And Ultimax. And Q.

And this point I have to wonder if my apparent reluctance to finish all these P4 games is somehow cursing the release of 5…

Rektash

I know it's a dubs vs subs debate. I assumed that all of our maturity levels was above high school level.

Nothing wrong with having preference, but saying one is inferior objectively or insulting people for liking one or the other is where I have a problem.

Having more options makes this an objectively superior version of the game though.

Zebetite

Banned
Yeah. If it were easy to do, they'd have done it already. So it must take work. Delay causing work.

you realize that japanese voice actors need to be paid royalties if their performances are being used in a western release of a video game, right? that it's not quite so simple as "if easy = every game has dual audio, if hard = few games have dual audio," right?

I'm certain they have other reasons for not having the dual audio before. They wouldn't delay two months to add in an audio track that could be pushed in with an update or DLC later. The delay is for other reasons, getting dual audio is just a thing that is also happening.

th4tguy

You see, my plans were simple. Persona 5 was the only game I planned a instant purchase in January-February (with other small 3DS games). I intend to buy it on 14th of February, complete it in like a month, and then I would plug-off the PS3 as it would have been the last game I would have played on it, and then I would have walked to the store, buy a Switch and enters the next-gen. Everything was planned to be smooth, no time to loose, everything to gain.

And then, they fucking delay it.

Might as well just get a ps4 now. FFXV/ Tales series is calling.

LordKano

To the guys who think that April is fine : Remember than we tought the same about February when we were earlier in the year, before the delay-bomb exploded.

I'm blaming this on the guys who said they wouldn't buy it due to lack of JP voice acting.

AT WHAT COST?!

I know it's not the reason, but UGH, I don't give a single care about Japanese Voicework in Persona, I just want the game!

Everyone here 'just wants the game' and dual audio won't be the reason why it was delayed.

At least we now get the game without cut content, because that's essentially what no JP audio would have been.

I've already finished the game Twice...

I guess i'll buy it again.

Yeah the game's that good.
Dual audio was the main requirement .. the japanese cast is just so perfect way higher quality than usual.

I'll support this release , as long as something stupid like a region lock doesn't appear out of nowhere.

Clov

While I'm disappointed at the delay, I'm happy that Atlus has finally listened to thier fans and allowed for dual audio! I'll be using the Japanese track for sure. Nothing wrong with more options.

Zalusithix

Dual audio is never a difficulty thing, it's a licensing thing. I don't even know what sort of fuckery you'd have to do to your code to make playing one track instead of another a difficult task.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Oh man, disappointed about the delay, but very happy about the JPN voices. Its a price I'm easily willing to pay. Even better that its free, would have 100% paid for it as DLC released later. I understand many are disappointed, but man, SMH at people who are saying they are now considering not buying it or that it is no unclear if they want it now due to the delays. Its like, do you guys realize how dramatic you sound? Seems a little drastic if you were supposedly such a big fan before and now this delay has you getting all hysterical.

Just take a deep breath, relax. The game will eventually come out.

I could swap out 'delay' with 'dual audio', and as of about an hour ago, it would have been equally "dramatic" from the other point of view.

This is what, the 3rd? 4th? english delay? And at least the 2nd that was announced right at the start of a 'big update'-style showing of the game?

I'm not saying some people aren't being a bit hyperbolic, but let's not suddenly take a position of the 'high ground', here.

D:

:D

I'm confused.

I guess I'm happy, its just... Grrr.

I've been stood up on Valentine's day..

I'm happy they are taking the time necessary to make it the best it can be but come on. I guess being near the beginning of my college's spring term is better than being in the middle of my winter term, but.. *sigh*

I'm really glad they are putting in Dual Audio, wished it was on the disc but that's not a big deal. Glad they listened, and seem to be compensating for the delay with this.

I also really like the update collector's edition art and items. It looks a lot less monochromatic, and very nice. It no longer looks kind of like just a collector's edition worth getting because the series and game are great, but because it is actually also a really nice package.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hopefully now people who kept derailing threads about Japanese dub and dual audio can pipe down.

There, happy?

VegiHam

you realize that japanese voice actors need to be paid royalties if their performances are being used in a western release of a video game, right? that it's not quite so simple as "if easy = every game has dual audio, if hard = few games have dual audio," right?

Sure, yeah. And it's probably the paperwork on getting those royalties sorted that means we can't play this until April.

I'm certain they have other reasons for not having the dual audio before. They wouldn't delay two months to add in an audio track that could be pushed in with an update or DLC later. The delay is for other reasons, getting dual audio is just a thing that is also happening.

It's Atlus, of course they would.

I hope these 'other reasons' exist; but cynically I doubt it.

Dual audio is never a difficulty thing, it's a licensing thing. I don't even know what sort of fuckery you'd have to do to your code to make playing one track instead of another a difficult task.

To clarify, I didn't mean 'programming easy', I meant 'business easy'.

Kthulhu

Having more options makes this an objectively superior version of the game though.

I agree dual audio should be an option when possible. I am referring to people who say stuff like "this dub is terrible, and people who like it are immature".

It was annoying as a kid and it's annoying now.

Welp, sucks for those you really want it for Valentine's Day, though personally I'm happy that my wallet will weep significantly less. And I'm happy about the dual-audio.

Two positives from this delay:
1. Dual Audio.
2. Is not in the super packed February where my wallet cries in agony.

There's a potential thrid:

In the video message form the Atlus USA president, he mentioned they're going to be adding additional localisation work they didn't originally plan. I have a suspicion they might add voice overs to scenes that didn't originally have any in the JPN release.

jonjonaug

AT WHAT COST?!

I've waited two years, I can wait two more months for a better game.

Top Bottom