• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoemonk

I took a year of Japanese in college and I'm sitting here with Play Asia open and the Japanese PSN on my PS4 wondering if I really want to spend $107 on a game I'll barely understand.

And I kind of do. I think it's probably too complex to really further my understanding of the language unfortunately. I should have done that double major!

Dantis

Hey guys, I've hit another roadblock. Little help?

First dungeon still:
the swinging blades, with the smiling Kamoshida statue in front of them. How do I proceed?

Wanchan

Hey guys, I've hit another roadblock. Little help?

First dungeon still:
the swinging blades, with the smiling Kamoshida statue in front of them. How do I proceed?

Go back, you have to loot 2 keys from the "golden" knights around.

Pachael

From Hashino's recent interview with 4Gamer:

Combine that with what we know about Index and Sega salvaging Atlus from the brink of ruin and you get a good idea of what was going on behind the scenes that delayed this game ad infinitum.

Yeah, read that interview, it sounded pretty dire at that time.

If I'm in various states of learning two other languages at the moment, would it be just nuts to attempt to start to learn Japanese as well? For the record I know that I won't be able to learn for the purpose of Persona 5 prior to February, but yall getting to play it though has me jealous. But I feel like maybe there is a limit to how many languages someone can learn.

If I'm in various states of learning two other languages at the moment, would it be just nuts to attempt to start to learn Japanese as well? For the record I know that I won't be able to learn for the purpose of Persona 5 prior to February, but yall getting to play it though has me jealous. But I feel like maybe there is a limit to how many languages someone can learn.

There are some people who speak more than 3 (I think I've heard around 7 with a good level of fluency in most of them). If you have the time and inclination, give it a shot and see how far you get.

I started self studying a while ago but I seem to fall into cycles of being motivated for a few months, then doing nothing for a year, etc. Still, it's fun and I like being able to decipher the odd sentence during my animus.

I'd say the only limit is how much time you can spend studying. Japanese may require more time compared to some other languages, but I wouldn't say it's impossible if you want. It's quite different from both Italian and English and I find it really interesting to study.

Gu4n

In Dutch secondary education it's quite common to study, apart from Dutch, a con bins to of English, French, German (or Spanish) and Latin (or Greek) during one semester. So it's not nuts per se!

Depends on what those other languages are. Japanese is similar (somewhat) so I'm finding it abit easier to learn. Likewise Americans would find German easier to learn than Spanish. You could always try though. It's fun learning a new language!

muteki

So twitch banned the P5 stream I was watching...

Yeah, don't know what the deal was, but I was mostly just listening in the background.

Did hear a vocal track or two that I didn't remember from the 20th ann. soundtrack though. Sounded great.

Jiraiza

I took a year of Japanese in college and I'm sitting here with Play Asia open and the Japanese PSN on my PS4 wondering if I really want to spend $107 on a game I'll barely understand.

And I kind of do. I think it's probably too complex to really further my understanding of the language unfortunately. I should have done that double major!

If you have the grammar down at least with amazing dictionary/google-fu, you can handle most media in my experience.

Yeah, the let's play on youtube that was providing English translations got taken down. X_X

Hopefully that goes back up sometime down the line.

I'm turning in to the spoiler heads-up person in this thread, I know, but I think someone is sending P5 spoilers in private messages on GAF now.

I have an unread, which I've never have without prior interaction through a thread. GAF is generally a nice and non-dickish place, but I ain't checking mine and I'd advise you not to check yours, following the twitter incidents. (Unless you like spoilers for some weird reason, in which case knock yourself out.)

_Ryo_

There's an icon of a piano on the phone apps-screen. It'd be cool if that implied a piano based rhythm mini game.

Also on TCRF there's an image of a
roulette table

I wonder what all the mini games are in p5? All I know for sure is from pre-release footage. Fishing, batting cage, retro game, lottery?, and crossword puzzle.

Can you use the different apps on the phone? Is it basically the game's menu?

No, the game menu is more like your traditional P3 and P4 version. It would've been cool if they made the menu like the one in Akiba's Trip. I'm waiting to see if there's a menu for calling your friends like in Persona 4, maybe that would be the only moment in which you may use your phone in game.

and crossword puzzle.

My god... I'll be helpless with that. I mean, while I understand Japanese I'm not at the level to solve that kind of puzzles (specially if complex kanji are involved).

Pachimari

Okay guys, so I'm gonna start up P4G on my PSTV. Anything I should know? I should fusion my Personas right? And there's a specific noodle item I should go for at a certain place?

Okay guys, so I'm gonna start up P4G on my PSTV. Anything I should know? I should fusion my Personas right? And there's a specific noodle item I should go for at a certain place?

Just go blind. But yes, if you're ever feeling weak, the answer is probably that you need to fuse more!

FHIZ

Has anyone successfully downloaded the PSN themes yet? This morning I was getting some error message and it seemed to be a widespread PSN theme thing. Wondering if it was fixed yet.

Persona 4 has some bosses at the beginning that I consider difficult (2 actually) but once you defeat them, the rest of the game is quite easy.

Shouta

Hard mode in this game hits like a truck the further you get into the first dungeon. I was using the Special Edition persona (Orpheus) and I was still getting blown up by some enemies yesterday if I wasn't treating every fight like it was a threat.

Dantis

Hard mode in this game hits like a truck the further you get into the first dungeon. I was using the Special Edition persona (Orpheus) and I was still getting blown up by some enemies yesterday if I wasn't treating every fight like it was a threat.
I'm only on normal and I still wiped a couple of times in the first dungeon.

_Ryo_

In Persona 4 Vanilla, I died more times fighting one of the games first bosses than the end game boss. I don't think I died at all fighting the end game boss, actually. Lol.

Beckx

In Persona 4 Vanilla, I died more times fighting one of the games first bosses than the end game boss. I don't think I died at all fighting the end game boss, actually. Lol.

most RPGs tend to be that way for me, you're so fragile at the start.

then there's Persona 1

fuck Persona 1's last boss

Man, I'm so tempted to import this, but I don't think an N3~N2 level of Japanese would be good enough for a story-heavy game. Odin Sphere was way too advanced for me. Any thoughts on the level of Japanese required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom