• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

.JayZii

Banned
Only about 2-3 hours in so far, and this game just oozes with style and polish. Moving a bit slower than usual because of having to look up words here and there, but I've been surprised with how manageable the game has been with JLPT2/3 proficiency (although I'm generally stronger with kanji).
I watched that first 40 minute Famitsu video and a bit of a stream, and it seemed pretty easy.

I guess if there's the mandatory godlike being monologue about human nature and the concept of reality in archaic Japanese it could get tougher, but I would think JLPT2/3 level Japanese with the occasional dictionary reference would get you through just fine.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
No it isn't. Like at all.

Welllll.... there was that one scene where
Kamoshida brings out Anne her underwear in front of Ryuji and starts taunting him.

I watched that first 40 minute Famitsu video and a bit of a stream, and it seemed pretty easy.

I guess if there's the mandatory godlike being monologue about human nature and the concept of reality in archaic Japanese it could get tougher, but I would think JLPT2/3 level Japanese with the occasional dictionary reference would get you through just fine.

I think it would be especially tedious if you didn't know kanji very well, because I think it was mentioned earlier, but the game starts with having to figure out where to go by talking to NPCs. Of course Igor's dialogue is wonky at parts.

Zolo

From everything I've heard of the term NTR in the past 48 hours, I realize it's now one of my most hated terms (far past waifu and more).

Welllll.... there was that one scene where
Kamoshida brings out Anne her underwear in front of Ryuji and starts taunting him.

Er,
the game specifically says she's not real, just like the volleyball players in the dungeon. She's a fake version of Anne that represents how Kamoshida views her.

.JayZii

Banned
I think it would be especially tedious if you didn't know kanji very well, because I think it was mentioned earlier, but the game starts with having to figure out where to go by talking to NPCs. Of course Igor's dialogue is wonky at parts.
Sure. I was taking kanji into account with the jlpt level. By level 2 your should know around 1000, which should make you able to tackle most of what the game throws at you, and then have a dictionary to pick up a bit of slack.

There is a decent gap between level 3 and 2, though, so I suppose there's quite a bit of variation for what that knowledge level means from person to person. You've got to jump in and start learning on the fly at some point, so I say it might as well be with Persona 5.
From everything I've heard of the term NTR in the past 48 hours, I realize it's now one of my most hated terms (far past waifu and more).
I hadn't heard of it until looking at this thread. One way or another, I guess everything on the internet comes back to cuck.

Damn, this is pretty encouraging. I'm now half tempted to just import it now but then DQ7 is on it's way and I want to support the European localisation.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Er,
the game specifically says she's not real, just like the volleyball players in the dungeon. She's a fake version of Anne that represents how Kamoshida views her.

They don't say that until afterwards though. The scene certainly plays out like that at first.

They don't say that until afterwards though. The scene certainly plays out like that at first.

No, they definitely say it before that scene.
Morgana says it when you first see the volleyball members being tortured.

And they re-emphasize it DURING THAT EXACT SCENE, again, with Morgana making it clear.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Does anybody know if someone has ripped the complete soundtrack yet?

It's def coming on time. It's already in the US when I checked my tracking #

Maybe... I guess it might get here on time. Amazon.jp has had surprisingly quick shipping for me in the past.

As for the tracking are you sure it wasn't just it being cleared by customs? I don't think that necessarily means it's in the US.

No, they definitely say it before that scene.
Morgana says it when you first see the volleyball members being tortured.

And they re-emphasize it DURING THAT EXACT SCENE, again, with Morgana making it clear.

Yup.
As soon as she pops up onscreen, Morgana brings it up again cause Ryuji is like "HUH? Oh, yeah."

Gu4n

Hit the ten hour mark as I'm near the first boss. I can't emphasise how happy I am to be standing across hi-res Kazuma Kaneko designed demons. I really hope they re-use these assets for a Shin Megami Tensei game for PS4.

As for people asking about the language level: that's really hard to judge for others. Just ask yourself whether you'd be willing to play with a dictionary on your lap if it turns out to be too difficult after all. :)

Finally started the game.

This game has way too much style.

I can't believe i've spend 25 minutes deciding what name to write in the prologue.

Sakura

Bumping because nobody loves me.

There is a magazine rack in the train station. Fast travel to 地下通路 I think it was, and it is like right there. Press circle on it, choose a job, if you meet the requirements then you can start working there.

Finally started the game.

This game has way too much style.

I can't believe i've spend 25 minutes deciding what name to write in the prologue.

I went with 黒羽 快斗 (Kuroba Kaito). Normally I use the same name in these games but given the phantom thief theme, I had to go with this.

I've played 16 hours in the last couple of days...so good.

With that being said, I can't stand
the flash forward. Imagine the impact of getting caught later in the game during a heist. I also hate that they reveal the next target way before you actually meet them in the game.

Picked up my copy last night, put about 5 hours into it so far. At 4/16 in the ingame calendar. I couldn't grasp the conversation that was happening when Ryuji
awakened his persona. Kamoshida mentioned someone breaking a leg, and an ace who betrayed everyone? Is that referring to Ryuji, or will this be explained more clearly later?

Picked up my copy last night, put about 5 hours into it so far. At 4/16 in the ingame calendar. I couldn't grasp the conversation that was happening when Ryuji
awakened his persona. Kamoshida mentioned someone breaking a leg, and an ace who betrayed everyone? Is that referring to Ryuji, or will this be explained more clearly later?

That is about Ryuji. But you will find out more later.

I hit the mark of 8 hours and I'm still in the first week of the game. I suppose I'll progress faster later on? I usually spend more than 100 hours when I play Persona games.

GSR

Come to think of it, this is the first physical PS4 game I've imported. Anything I should know, or can I expect to plug it in and be on my merry way?

Related, I guess: will trophies pop/DLC be available on a US PSN account or will I need to set up my JP one?

t1gerjaw

Come to think of it, this is the first physical PS4 game I've imported. Anything I should know, or can I expect to plug it in and be on my merry way?

Related, I guess: will trophies pop/DLC be available on a US PSN account or will I need to set up my JP one?

Trophies, yes. DLC, no.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
The theme that comes with the 20th Anniversary Edition is fantastic, and it plays Life Will Change in the background.

d5WkRif.jpg

Don't want to read through the thread in fear of spoilers so my bad if this has been asked already, but do the harder modes increase the cost of the compendium?

Was planning on doing hard mode but not if it increases prices. Not a fan of that.

Bebpo

Banned
Probably going against the flow here but after playing a couple of hours on ps4, this game looks like shit technically.

Style is great, game is great, but it looks like a Vita game A LOT. Like even signs/billboards are totally pixelated low-res PS2/Vita era stuff. I don't get it at all, that kind of stuff takes no effort to have in higher resolution and it's not like they haven't had enough development time.

Feels like playing an early first year or two PS3 game in 2016 from a tech perspective which is just bizarro. The 30fps sucks too. Should really be 60fps on PS4 at least. Can't help but feel this game started as a Vita game.

Again, this is nothing against the game content, but early on it's so distracting how bad the graphics are for a major Japanese console title years and years in the making.

wmlk

Probably going against the flow here but after playing a couple of hours on ps4, this game looks like shit technically.

Style is great, game is great, but it looks like a Vita game A LOT. Like even signs/billboards are totally pixelated low-res PS2/Vita era stuff. I don't get it at all, that kind of stuff takes no effort to have in higher resolution and it's not like they haven't had enough development time.

Feels like playing an early first year or two PS3 game in 2016 from a tech perspective which is just bizarro. The 30fps sucks too. Should really be 60fps on PS4 at least. Can't help but feel this game started as a Vita game.

Again, this is nothing against the game content, but early on it's so distracting how bad the graphics are for a major Japanese console title years and years in the making.

What do you think about the game content? People treated you as the only voice for the XCX impressions for some reason lol, so I'd love to hear more.

I haven't seen/read actual detailed stuff on the game yet.

I don't really care that much about the look of the game. I feel like you'll see these areas over and over again with the calendar system so I'll just get used to it after a while. It still looks awesome.

Yeah sadly I agree with that, the textures of the trees and grass in the school and flyers look really bad.

barybll

Banned

It looks like a ps3 anime game
Which it is, technically, it is very easy to forget this when almost no one talk about the ps3 version.

I would disagree its vita-tier, since while not graphically sharp, it is still better than vita games by a long shot (partially because the aesthetics hide the imperfections)

Technically, I would say it is akiba's trip ps4 version tier

Yeah sadly I agree with that, the textures of the trees and grass in the school and flyers look really bad.

I first realised the game didn't look that hot during
the first scene on the roof of the school
. i was like , hey why that aliasing ?

The game compensates heavily with such a heavy dose of style and presentation , but yeah it's kinda weird

Shouta

Textures on billboards and the like definitely could have been better. It's only a mild annoyance though because the style of the game is fantastic and it just works overall.

It is sort of strange the PS4 version isn't 60 FPS but I feel like they purposefully wanted to do 30 FPS. If anything it definitely looks like a PS3 game which is what it started out as, lol.

Bebpo

Banned
It looks like a ps3 anime game
Which it is, technically, it is very easy to forget this when almost no one talk about the ps3 version.

I would disagree its vita-tier, since while not graphically sharp, it is still better than vita games by a long shot.

I agree it's better than Vita. But a lot of times it doesn't even look PS3-quality which makes me think it was a Vita game originally and they upgraded it when it got ported to PS3.

Like here's an example that was really distracting (for some reason share screenshot is broken on this game for me? So doing it the cellphone pic way). The game told me to change to the Ginza line, so I go up to the sign for directions and it's like PS1 sign lol

http://i.imgur.com/5laR6nQ.jpg

It just makes zero sense they couldn't have upgraded these textures. Only makes sense is a lot of the assets were originally for Vita or something and they didn't have time/budget to redo them all.

Fwiw, I'm sure I'll still enjoy the hell out of the game. Just trying to understand how what happened for the game to end up looking like this after all the delays.

12 hours in and adoring it. The game has style for days and just running around the city feels good.

Strong cutscene direction, improved pacing over P3 and P4, and actual properly designed dungeons are just killing it. Loving every moment.

barybll

Banned
Fwiw, I'm sure I'll still enjoy the hell out of the game. Just trying to understand how what happened for the game to end up looking like this after all the delays.

We certainly won't have these answers.

It makes no sense however that it was for a vita version, since even if a vita version was cogitated by Atlus, it would have been a very early development thing, I doubt they would even have made any significant number of assets for it, much less assets that they would store and use 5-6 years later.

It sounds like an upscaling issue, but I know nothing about the process, does someone have a ps3 screenshot of this billboard?

Bebpo

Banned
Nah, what it is, most likely is a texture memory issue. The city is very impressive. Really accurate which is awesome. Has tons of texture variety. But in order to load all of those textures into memory, I guess they had to keep them PS1/PS2 resolution. It's possible it's a PS3 holdback.

Nah, what it is, most likely is a texture memory issue. The city is very impressive. Really accurate which is awesome. Has tons of texture variety. But in order to load all of those textures into memory, I guess they had to keep them PS1/PS2 resolution. It's possible it's a PS3 holdback.

Well the same thing happens in the subways.
Overall the city is fine , but it's cut into small areas and loadings certainly happens there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom