• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

This is a PS3 game uprezzed to PS4...i guess they held to that standard
If the game isn't 60 fps, then yeah. I doubt they really did too much optimization work (though I'm unfamiliar with how that goes).

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Very minor costume spoilers:
Man, Tae's casual outfit is awesome.

So do the texture issues mean I shouldn't bother with the PS4 version?

I'm still debating on which to get when this comes out stateside. I honestly don't care super much about graphics anyway, though.

Gu4n

So do the texture issues mean I shouldn't bother with the PS4 version?

I'm still debating on which to get when this comes out stateside. I honestly don't care super much about graphics anyway, though.
From what I read, the PS3 version is suffering from longer loading times. No one has an exact comparison, though. The loading times on the PS4 are hardly a bother to me.

Shouta

Load times would be the reason to get the PS4 version, probably. Then again, I haven't seen the PS3 version soooo.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious how the transitions in and out of battles are on PS3, they're really smooth and quick on PS4, are they like that on PS3?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
8 hours in and the game is a blast, getting close to the first boss. Really liking that the game is taking itself more seriously from the get go. Started a bit slow but they're doing a really good job at giving the scenario weight and making me like/hate characters I'm supposed to like/hate. Gameplay-wise it also fixes the last two games' biggest shortcomings in dungeon design. Only thing that could make it better right now would be more difficult puzzles.

Have to do overtime today and work the weekend so I won't be able to properly jump back in again until Monday. Next 3 days are going to be tough.

Shouta

I just finished the 2nd major story dungeon. I'm about 25 hours in now, lol. My pace is a bit slow because I've been translating as I played so I don't know if the amount of time I've spent playing is terribly accurate for finishing the 2nd Story dungeon on Hard.

I just got my PS4 CE copy and I'm so pumped to play this game. Probably gonna mess around for 1 chapter and then wait for the english version because I can't read kanji T_T

Soriku

I just finished the 2nd major story dungeon. I'm about 25 hours in now, lol. My pace is a bit slow because I've been translating as I played so I don't know if the amount of time I've spent playing is terribly accurate for finishing the 2nd Story dungeon on Hard.

How is the difficulty?

Shouta

How is the difficulty?

Everything on Hard hits you like it's on steroids. It's not uncommon to see enemies do 50-80% of your life in a single hit. If you're unlucky, you can die in a single one. Based off memory, this feels like it's harder than either P3 or P4 on Hard. It's still totally doable, but you have to be much more careful.

I do have the DLC Personas that you get with the Special Edition though, so that's helped me a bit so I imagine it'll be a challenge without them for the first two dungeons or so.

kiyoaki

From what I read, the PS3 version is suffering from longer loading times. No one has an exact comparison, though. The loading times on the PS4 are hardly a bother to me.

I'm curious how the transitions in and out of battles are on PS3, they're really smooth and quick on PS4, are they like that on PS3?

I find the loading times on the PS3 a bit immersion-breaking at times, especially between story scenes. The transitions into and out of battles are very smooth, however. No complaints there.

bluethree

I mean, if you have a PS4 you might as well get that version, but this is basically a PS3 game visual quality wise regardless of what platform you get it for.

I almost considered getting a PS4 for this, not because I expected major improvements but because there are other games I wanted too and the timing was right...but I'm glad I held out for now.

I mean, if you have a PS4 you might as well get that version, but this is basically a PS3 game visual quality wise regardless of what platform you get it for.

I almost considered getting a PS4 for this, not because I expected major improvements but because there are other games I wanted too and the timing was right...but I'm glad I held out for now.

I'm basically in the same boat as you. I can't afford a PS4 at the moment, though, but hopefully I will by February >>;

fionel

So I'm in the middle of playing through Tokyo Mirage Session (just started ch. 4) and have been wondering if getting Persona 5 now would completely destroy any motivation to go back to TMS later. Help me decide GAF.

bluethree

The Tokyo environments in this game are so well done. They managed to strike the perfect balance between staying true to the real world setting, while still stylizing it well and providing the player smaller, intimate areas in the vein of the other Persona games.

That area where the MC lives is an especially good recreation of a residential area in Tokyo.

That said, there's still a small part of me wishing they chose another city for the setting. (Fukuoka would be perfect for a Persona game I think)

Bebpo

Banned
Game is friggen good. Even the graphics are fine PS3 looking. The worst area of the game was the starting areas for some reason, maybe because you never go back to them? The school & dungeons all look fine texture-wise.

Pace is perfect and the gameplay additions to make it closer to SMT/Persona1&2 are very welcome. Never really cared for shadows, so just being standard SMT demons is fine. P5's actually been such a long time coming I totally forgot it was going to be the game where we finally get new 3d demon models since PS2 and man do they look freaking great here. Everytime I see a new demon it's awesome seeing how they've brought them to life here with great models and cool animations. Hopefully they make a bunch more console megaten games where they can re-use these demon models.

I've only got 2 minor complaints so far about 6 hours in. One being that I don't like the border around the screen in dungeons making the playing area that much smaller. I think Atlus went a little too overboard with the interface layout and it's kind of overcrowded and in the way a bit. It's not that bad, but it's a bit much covering the gameplay.

The other minor complaint, and I don't know if it holds for the future story dungeons, but the way the first story dungeon is done is that you do a section of the dungeon and then hit a cutscene and retreat, then the next time you do a different section and then hit a cutscene and retreat, etc..etc.. until you get to the final end run of the dungeon. Not a big fan of forced piece-mealing the dungeon since I just wanna dungeon crawl, so I'm hoping the future dungeons don't follow this structure, but I could see them use this structure for all the dungeons possibly to make them more story-focused.

Otherwise excellent game. Definitely makes Persona feel fresh again when it's gotten kind of dated after all of these years.

That said, there's still a small part of me wishing they chose another city for the setting. (Fukuoka would be perfect for a Persona game I think)

I don't even remember where P3 took place. Was it also Tokyo? I remember P4 was the Inaka.

I find the loading times on the PS3 a bit immersion-breaking at times, especially between story scenes. The transitions into and out of battles are very smooth, however. No complaints there.

I don't notice any loading in the PS4 version except for outside of battle when it does the running animation and you gotta wait for it to play out. I guess the loading is the one area the PS4 version is better in. I really can't imagine the PS3 version looks any worse visually at all. The PS4 version even has alaising.

bluethree

I'm pretty sure this is the first time Persona has used a real world setting. All the other games were in fictional cities.

kiyoaki

I don't notice any loading in the PS4 version except for outside of battle when it does the running animation and you gotta wait for it to play out. I guess the loading is the one area the PS4 version is better in. I really can't imagine the PS3 version looks any worse visually at all. The PS4 version even has alaising.
I'm already planning a second playthrough once I'll get a PS4. Hooray for cross-saves.

Soriku

Everything on Hard hits you like it's on steroids. It's not uncommon to see enemies do 50-80% of your life in a single hit. If you're unlucky, you can die in a single one. Based off memory, this feels like it's harder than either P3 or P4 on Hard. It's still totally doable, but you have to be much more careful.

I do have the DLC Personas that you get with the Special Edition though, so that's helped me a bit so I imagine it'll be a challenge without them for the first two dungeons or so.

Hmm gonna have to wait for some more impressions before deciding when the game releases in February. I want a challenge but nothing too crazy. Maybe Normal is more balanced, or it gets easier as you go.

Bebpo

Banned
Are the school stats visible somewhere in one of the menus? Or are they hidden? Like when it says you don't have enough courage to choose a dialogue option. I never replay rpgs and early on it's feeling like all of those are meant to be for new game+

Bebpo

Banned
Also can anyone else on PS4 confirm whether the game completely blocks all screenshots/videos? It did for me tonight and I wasn't sure if my PS4 was glitching.

JimPanzer

Sooo I'm still debating if I should get the Japanese version. I'm around N3 with a lot of Kanji knowledge - would that be sufficient for this game? Also can you replay audio from the dialogue like you could in P4G?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How's the platinum compared to P4G?

Kysen

Also can anyone else on PS4 confirm whether the game completely blocks all screenshots/videos? It did for me tonight and I wasn't sure if my PS4 was glitching.

This is basically the stance a lot of JP devs have. They don't want spoilers or having to deal with licensed music/voice work being reuploaded. Sega/Atlus is one of the most strict when it comes to this.

Are the school stats visible somewhere in one of the menus? Or are they hidden? Like when it says you don't have enough courage to choose a dialogue option. I never replay rpgs and early on it's feeling like all of those are meant to be for new game+
You have to press left in one of the menus, probably Status.

Bebpo

Banned
This is basically the stance a lot of JP devs have. They don't want spoilers or having to deal with licensed music/voice work being reuploaded. Sega/Atlus is one of the most strict when it comes to this.

Interesting. I thought Namco/Bandai was the only really strict publisher doing this.

kiyoaki

Sooo I'm still debating if I should get the Japanese version. I'm around N3 with a lot of Kanji knowledge - would that be sufficient for this game? Also can you replay audio from the dialogue like you could in P4G?
I guess at N3 level it would be a hard and slow affair. The game uses a wide range of speaking styles (archaic language for persona-related business, youth slang for the school kids, NHK-style newscaster language for some cutscenes...). Extra kanji and vocabulary knowledge would definitely be a plus. Everything is subtitled and there apparently is even a log function for the anime cutscenes. I haven't used it so far, and I don't know whether you can also replay the audio. With a good dictionary, you should be able to get the gist of most of the dialogue, but it'll take time and I don't know if it will be much fun. It would certainly be a good learning experience.

Okay so I got to the end of the first dungeon on the first day. And Morgana wanted me to leave. Am I suppose to just go on about and wait till the last day to finish it up?

ubiblu

Okay so I got to the end of the first dungeon on the first day. And Morgana wanted me to leave. Am I suppose to just go on about and wait till the last day to finish it up?

Really? How did you make it through without refreshing your SP? I hit the 3rd floor safe room and had to return for fear of wiping. I have like one SP regen item.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, where can you get SP replenishing items? I think I saw ones that recovered 5 SP at the 777 convenience store, but there must be ones that give more than that.

I wanna know this too.
Just please, don't do another "Hardcore Risette Fan", Atlus.

Sorry but i think i saw a trophy re§...

yeah that's the one :

フタバのナビを250種類聞いた

Ardent listener , you need 250 (different) navigation type dialog by futaba.

i-Lo

With regards to opponent (including deities) design gave some designs for staple of the series changed or have they simply been upgraded with better textures and higher poly count?

Noooooo...here we go again.. ;_;
If that makes you feels better , i think it's easier than the insane risette one from P4G.
look at the number, it's only 250 , in P4G, to get everything the number was from 3 to 4 times that number

Are you guys not allowed to post some screenshots ? I would like to see non-spoilery ones.

i'm late ( only started yesterday night ) , but here's one ( from my capture card ) i've got ( PS4 screenshot )
The game prevents you from taking PS4 screenshots or making vids , after like 10 minutes , lol.
20160915225352.png

So the Pro should have no problem in running this at 4k native..

Edit: Judging by how the game looks, which is not impressive, technically, but it is artisticly impressive.

ranmafan

N3 I think might be the lowest you can go and play the game while getting a lot of the Japanese in the game. But there are some parts that will be tricky for those at that level. Also I would say it would depend on if your Japanese knowledge outside that test range is good or not. Technically I'm at N3 at the moment as I haven't had a chance to take N2 yet (planning next year since I'm too busy for the next test this year), but Cause I work and live in japan and use it everyday my ability is much higher for sure than N3 now. So I'm getting by quite well in the game with only a few minor things I had to double check on and think about closely. But I'm sure others with just N3 could struggle with it.

Personally my suggestion to people, unless you are super confident with your Japanese and can at least converse on a daily basis with people with it, you may want to wait. I know many people really want to try and take the challenge but it might be really tough to play while constentally having to figure out what's being said and what to do. But if you feel like you can handle it, sure give it a try. RPGs can be great learning tools and ways to practice your reading and listening ability at times. But I would hate trying to play this with having to rely on a dictionary. That would be time consuming and tough.

barybll

Banned

Its pretty much impossible to get true endings on first playthrough of p3 and p4, im guessing that p5 is the same.

It does show school stats in the status screen tho

Xypher

I just now realized that pressing square on the fast travel screen shows all the coops available in that area, even those that are not yet unlocked... There are just so many quality of life improvements in this game...

Gu4n

I just now realized that pressing square on the fast travel screen shows all the coops available in that area, even those that are not yet unlocked... There are just so many quality of life improvements in this game...
Oh wow, thanks for letting me know. That's an amazing improvement.

Wow. That's seriously amazing! Sounds so much better than any other Persona game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom