• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N3 I think might be the lowest you can go and play the game while getting a lot of the Japanese in the game. But there are some parts that will be tricky for those at that level. Also I would say it would depend on if your Japanese knowledge outside that test range is good or not. Technically I'm at N3 at the moment as I haven't had a chance to take N2 yet (planning next year since I'm too busy for the next test this year), but Cause I work and live in japan and use it everyday my ability is much higher for sure than N3 now. So I'm getting by quite well in the game with only a few minor things I had to double check on and think about closely. But I'm sure others with just N3 could struggle with it.

Personally my suggestion to people, unless you are super confident with your Japanese and can at least converse on a daily basis with people with it, you may want to wait. I know many people really want to try and take the challenge but it might be really tough to play while constentally having to figure out what's being said and what to do. But if you feel like you can handle it, sure give it a try. RPGs can be great learning tools and ways to practice your reading and listening ability at times. But I would hate trying to play this with having to rely on a dictionary. That would be time consuming and tough.

I'd agree with this response as well. Also living and working in Japan, and a bit above N3 level for kanji and vocabulary, and I'm finding it manageable. Personally, I think if you're dedicated to studying Japanese and your kanji level is decent or above that, I'd recommend it as a way to kinda force yourself to study since you'd be motivated in knowing what's happening in the game without having played an English version first.

Beckx

so what's life like if you're below N3

I thought I'd answer this question - even though no one's really asked it.

I think i am somewhere between N5 and N4. my listening comprehension is terrible and probably below what is needed for N4, but my kanji, vocab and grammar are mostly there.

the tl;dr version of what it's like to play P5: no issues with the mechanics. no issues with quest instructions (like "meet Ryuji on the roof" or "transfer to the Ginza line"). but my vocabulary just isn't there to understand the story in most areas. sure, parts are easy ("who is that?" "are you a student?" "let's run") but motivations, complex issues, and the like are not.

this is fine for me and what i expected going in. i like playing RPGs for the mechanics of them and enjoy just chilling and playing the game aspects. i also wanted to challenge myself. there are nice tools here, since the log is amazing and you can replay dialogue (very nice because you not only learn the vocabulary, but you can hear it spoken as well to understand the intonation, which can be hard at this level). i am not approaching the game as a "learning tool" though - that would get miserable pretty quick and i really just want to enjoy the game to wind down. i do keep a notebook nearby to write down new words so that i can learn them later. (i'm at the stage where as a scarred Heisig veteran i'm trying to add readings to all these kanji through vocabulary, so when i see a kanji that i "know" but have no readings for, into the notebook it goes.)

there will be areas of the game that i'll be hopeless at without a guide, like the classroom answers and tests, but, the thing is, i'm awful at that in the english translations of P3 and P4 too (since i skim all that classroom text where the answers would be, and never remember it).

i would say though that if you have absolutely no japanese ability or are just starting out, the game could get very frustrating, very quickly, because you do need to be able to see kanji in the quest instructions, and then locate them in the game world.

In general for games like this, being at least N3 is probably best. N3 should be considered to be the most level basic of Japanese comprehension.

Initial impressions:

1. I really like the flow of the plot as explaining what happened to you.
2. The supernatural phenomena in an urban setting seems to be some of the best since 2.
3. The use of Japan as a setting is at the series' best. Transferring to the Ginza line ... lol. The blue train in part of the opening looks like one I take (or used to).
4. Most of the stylistic elements are really impressive, but I find the kaleidoscope overlay to be very distracting. My eyes want to focus on the overlay rather than what's happening on the screen. I wish there was a way to turn it off. Hopefully I can get used to it ...
5. I wanted the Persona appearance to be met with "Per-sooo-naaaaaaaa!" but that was muted and I was a little disappointed.

I have a feeling this will be my favorite since 2 IS.

JimPanzer

N3 I think might be the lowest you can go and play the game while getting a lot of the Japanese in the game. But there are some parts that will be tricky for those at that level. Also I would say it would depend on if your Japanese knowledge outside that test range is good or not. Technically I'm at N3 at the moment as I haven't had a chance to take N2 yet (planning next year since I'm too busy for the next test this year), but Cause I work and live in japan and use it everyday my ability is much higher for sure than N3 now. So I'm getting by quite well in the game with only a few minor things I had to double check on and think about closely. But I'm sure others with just N3 could struggle with it.

Personally my suggestion to people, unless you are super confident with your Japanese and can at least converse on a daily basis with people with it, you may want to wait. I know many people really want to try and take the challenge but it might be really tough to play while constentally having to figure out what's being said and what to do. But if you feel like you can handle it, sure give it a try. RPGs can be great learning tools and ways to practice your reading and listening ability at times. But I would hate trying to play this with having to rely on a dictionary. That would be time consuming and tough.

Hmm I guess I will wait then. If I have to look up too much, I can't really enjoy the game as a game. Got so many stuff to play at the moment anyway and Monster Hunter Stories is coming out next month, which should be no problem language-wise :)

_Ryo_

For anyone interested,
CitizenNapoleon
is doing an English translation playthough on Youtube.

I don't have the game myself so I don't know if that counts as a spoiler? If so, I'll edit my post.

ranmafan

In general for games like this, being at least N3 is probably best. N3 should be considered to be the most level basic of Japanese comprehension

Pretty much, it's classified as being able to understand everyday conversations and to understand the main meanings of writings and some parts of newspapers articles and such. So yeah for RPGs like these I would say it's the lowest one could probably go into and try to play. but even that will be tough for those that may only just rely on Jlpt studying and such. The Japanese abilities you learn which aren't focused on the test, like actual conversation, may help those with the voiced scenes. But since not all scenes are voiced, those jumping in need at least this level to enjoy the story.

I will say to those trying to play as a study guide to Japanese, good luck! Hope it helps y'all learn more.

Gu4n

Of course, being able to follow what happens and what is being said requires more than just raw kanji knowledge -- it also requires comprehensive reading skills. I myself have looked up about 10-15 words myself during the first 15 hours, but there's plenty more I didn't know and learnt through the context of the phrase. Like, if you played the previous Persona games -- which you undoubtedly have -- you know what Igor is talking about (Social Links/Fusions/Compendium) even if he is harder to follow.

Apparently those mythical things known as reviews are an exclusive Famitsu comodity in Japan. :p

It's reviewing pretty well in Amazon JP for whatever that's worth.

Wait for real? There are no review publications other than Famitsu? That's so bizarre; but I'll invariably go with the reviews on user sites anyway. Just a curious difference to the West I guess.

My reading is ahead of my listening. Like Igors rant wasn't too hard to follow after reading it and checking for a few words.

The Japanese subs and replay log makes catching up easy. I've been able to follow the story somewhat. the lady in the beginning in that room is a mouthful though

Rutger

Banned
I'm probably below N3? I don't study for the tests, but I'm lacking in vocab and kanji. I'm getting the game though, there's plenty of tools for me to easily and quickly look up vocab/kanji. I'm not as worried about grammar, but I know I will run into issues from time to time.

I'm going into it knowing it's a gamble. I'm not looking at this as a way to study, but I'm not going to half ass my translations, so I'm sure I'll take some things away from it. I think I will have fun translating, it will take time but I don't think it will hurt my experience, but I'll find out soon enough. Maybe I'm in over my head, that's fine too because I'll still study as I have been, and if this game is just sitting on my shelf that will motivate me further.

ranmafan

Wait for real? There are no review publications other than Famitsu? That's so bizarre; but I'll invariably go with the reviews on user sites anyway. Just a curious difference to the West I guess.

Well Dengeki PlayStation, which is another big publication in Japan, did have a longer than usual written review for the game in this weeks issue. But it wasn't part of their usual four people scored reviews, which give scores up to 100 and short written reviews. It reviewed well by the reviewer who wrote quite a bit about it.

Is it okay to ask for specific a specific possible spoiler answer here, in the form of a simple yes-or-no context-less answer? Something's racking my brain, but I dunno if it's a party foul in import OTs.

I'm currently 21h in, and farming items in the
Mementos
dungeon after fulfilling the second request.
Only done with the first palace so far. It was an awesome one.

There's a f-ck ton of side activities and I'm sure there a lot more to uncover, too bad I won't be able to max all of it. I suppose they've included a new game plus option like the other ones, and I hope we're able to keep almost everything to make the second playthrough the one we can max all of it in.

N30RYU

Fuck just purchased the Persona 5 Hero Special Theme & Avatar Set (For PS4™) in the HK Store but is giving me the CE-38606-3 error when downloading it...

0bawbPe.jpg

Xypher

Just reloaded my save a couple times to get perfect answers on the second round of exams, so might as well just post my findings here and hopefully help you guys out.

Second round of exams starts
7/13
and lasts until
7/16
. I'll organize the answers by date and will say which textbox is the right one counted from top to bottom.
7/13 = 3,2,2,1
7/14 = 3,3
7/15 = 2,3
No idea which rank of intelligence is needed, but I had rank 3 and it looks like I didn't ace.

Shouta

The other minor complaint, and I don't know if it holds for the future story dungeons, but the way the first story dungeon is done is that you do a section of the dungeon and then hit a cutscene and retreat, then the next time you do a different section and then hit a cutscene and retreat, etc..etc.. until you get to the final end run of the dungeon. Not a big fan of forced piece-mealing the dungeon since I just wanna dungeon crawl, so I'm hoping the future dungeons don't follow this structure, but I could see them use this structure for all the dungeons possibly to make them more story-focused.

Only the first dungeon is like that because it has to do a lot of setup. The 2nd dungeon only has one point where you're required to leave to get something done to proceed and there's a story specific reason instead of being setup for the team.

You'll also get access to something later if you're really into dungeon crawling.

I'm probably below N3? I don't study for the tests, but I'm lacking in vocab and kanji. I'm getting the game though, there's plenty of tools for me to easily and quickly look up vocab/kanji. I'm not as worried about grammar, but I know I will run into issues from time to time.

I'm going into it knowing it's a gamble. I'm not looking at this as a way to study, but I'm not going to half ass my translations, so I'm sure I'll take some things away from it. I think I will have fun translating, it will take time but I don't think it will hurt my experience, but I'll find out soon enough. Maybe I'm in over my head, that's fine too because I'll still study as I have been, and if this game is just sitting on my shelf that will motivate me further.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.There is still a ton of kanji that I don't know. But I'm still (slowly) working my way through the game and having fun. I also have the benefit of having a japanese wife who I can bother whenever I get really stuck.

I restarted the game yesterday at night because I "changed" my character's name -___-

I reached the point where I was yesterday so I lost one day of progress. Not a big deal though.

Is Atlus still taking down streams? I wonder what would they do if I upload P5 footage through Xbox live. =D

Shouta

My stream is still up and I've been translating. So I assume they're taking down folks that broke street date early and streamed it.

I restarted the game yesterday at night because I "changed" my character's name -___-

I reached the point where I was yesterday so I lost one day of progress. Not a big deal though.

Is Atlus still taking down streams? I wonder what would they do if I upload P5 footage through Xbox live. =D

I know some folks that got shut down, but they were on Nico Douga.

I've been streaming under the game tag "Crazy Taxi," so. >.>

Gonna stream in a lil bit actually. twitch.tv/elliotryo

Dantis

Hey guys, stuck on the second dungeon
with the laser walls after all the sliding doors
No idea where to go. Little help?

DNAbro

I still don't understand why some people use the "official" name for their character

In P4 it would feel weird to see my name in there with honorifics and it just feels out of place. Without an official name it's just name it after another anime character or come up with a random japanese name.

Maybe... I guess it might get here on time. Amazon.jp has had surprisingly quick shipping for me in the past.

As for the tracking are you sure it wasn't just it being cleared by customs? I don't think that necessarily means it's in the US.
It's out for delivery now so it was actually in the US I think. Is yours? I can't focus on house cleaning today at all.

Bebpo

Banned
Its pretty much impossible to get true endings on first playthrough of p3 and p4, im guessing that p5 is the same.

It does show school stats in the status screen tho

Not sure what you mean by true ending, but I got the real/epilogue final dungeon/boss of p4 on my first & only playthrough. These games are so long I can't imagine ever replaying them again. Hopefully the real ending isn't hidden behind a new game+ requirement here.

Zolo

Not sure what you mean by true ending, but I got the real/epilogue final dungeon/boss of p4 on my first & only playthrough. These games are so long I can't imagine ever replaying them again. Hopefully the real ending isn't hidden besides a new game+ requirement here.

I just assumed he was talking about max social link playthroughs.

So I know it's too early to get a review on the whole game but what are people impressions so far ? I also want to know if loadings are decent this time and if PS3 version runs smoothly, thanks !

Lynx_7

I'm currently 21h in, and farming items in the
Mementos
dungeon after fulfilling the second request.
Only done with the first palace so far. It was an awesome one.

There's a f-ck ton of side activities and I'm sure there a lot more to uncover, too bad I won't be able to max all of it. I suppose they've included a new game plus option like the other ones, and I hope we're able to keep almost everything to make the second playthrough the one we can max all of it in.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think of the side content so far? Like, I remember seeing some mini-games in one of the trailers, how are those?
Did any of you bump into a sidequest like (DayBreakers anime special spoilers)
the Daybreakers depicted, with sort of a "mystery" to solve, a little bit of plot involved and an optional boss and stuff, or is it still just random menial tasks like "go find these weirdly specific items that drop from demons for no reason"?

Also, concerning the city, is it bigger than in previous games or is it still just as segmented and relatively small? Is there a lot to do and explore?

Shouta

Hey guys, stuck on the second dungeon
with the laser walls after all the sliding doors
No idea where to go. Little help?

If it's the one I'm thinking of then it's
then you're supposed to climb the walls into the other areas to hit buttons to let your friends out. If it's the Laser walls in the garden area, then you need to exit the dungeon so you can do a story sequence that brings the laser walls down.

I know some folks that got shut down, but they were on Nico Douga.

I've been streaming under the game tag "Crazy Taxi," so. >.>

Gonna stream in a lil bit actually. twitch.tv/elliotryo

That would fit more Persona 4 because of the velvet room, but I suppose that works to avoid the ninjas that are taking down streams.

out of curiosity, how did you guys name MC? I've read that in the manga his name is Akira Kurusu

His official name is Akira?

I named him Hikaru... Which has a similar meaning :0

muteki

Got hit with some usps shenanigans. Going to try and intercept it this evening before they return it to sender, or something T_T.

Edit: false alarm. Delivered. Fun times ahead.

Gu4n

Also, concerning the city, is it bigger than in previous games or is it still just as segmented and relatively small? Is there a lot to do and explore?
The world slowly opens up. Areas are the same size as the previous games, but the shopping street is crammed with stores, like real-life Shibuya.

out of curiosity, how did you guys name MC? I've read that in the manga his name is Akira Kurusu
Kazuma Kaneko. I named my band of thieves 真・聖杯騎士団 ("Order of the True Grail Knights").

Just arrived at the second dungeon after
~17
hours.

Dantis

If it's the one I'm thinking of then it's
then you're supposed to climb the walls into the other areas to hit buttons to let your friends out. If it's the Laser walls in the garden area, then you need to exit the dungeon so you can do a story sequence that brings the laser walls down.

Aaah, okay.

It was the second one. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom