• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
For those who have the 20th anniversary physical version: Is the 20th anniversary DLC code paper outside the game case, or inside ?

It's not in the case with the game disc. There's a blue envelope from the Velvet Room with a card inside with the code on it.

Shuusui

So tempted to pick this up... I cut through an electronics store on the way home and it stares me in the face every week....

Just... so much kanji...

Any good streamers/YT creators working on the JP version?

So tempted to pick this up... I cut through an electronics store on the way home and it stares me in the face every week....

Just... so much kanji...

Any good streamers/YT creators working on the JP version?

Yeah, I've been super tempted to pick this up because I'm in the process of learning Japanese...but I still don't know much kanji =/

Hey, do I need to use the japanese psn to redeem my 20th anniversery theme or can I use my USA psn? Are there region code blocks on online codes? I always imported physical and never bought dlc so this is new to me.

I'm excited that mine is coming tomorrow! I'm gonna play a little bit of it just to see what it's like!

Though it might be better to just wait for Feb. Hmm.

Edit: Now that I think about it, probably need my Japan PSN Account to redeem since codes only work on there.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
ok thanks. Any chance that DL version of the game will support the DLC code?

Mine did.

Is it darker that Persona 3 first arc? I mean P3 opening had blood pouring down a guy's face and
Yukari
pointing a gun at her head.

If its darker then that's great.

Nothing specific, but potential spoilers on the way the game handles things early on.
Visually, it's not too dark. It's more like it deals with some really heavy subject matter (far more so than what P3 deals with, since that was mostly supernatural in its nature) in the first arc, and it's not remotely subtle in the way it depicts it. But honestly, while it deals with some really morbid subject matter, it does it in an optimistic light, even if things do get pretty grim at parts.

Rpgmonkey

Finally go to play a little and got up to
the escape from Kamoshida's castle.
It's almost 2AM though I'm too tired to keep going. :p

Game is pretty cool so far. Most "fun" moment was following the signs to find the right train, something a little amusing about that.

Is it darker that Persona 3 first arc? I mean P3 opening had blood pouring down a guy's face and
Yukari
pointing a gun at her head.

If its darker then that's great.

Way worse than that. That shit's so far removed from the real world that it doesn't really hurt me.

P5's first arc makes me deeply, deeply angry.

Way worse than that. That shit's so far removed from the real world that it doesn't really hurt me.

Damn I'm actually surprised considering how the last Persona game was a bit too lighthearted.

For Persona 5 to be even darker than P3 makes me excited.

Man, that's making me excited. A darker Persona feels like a return to form.

But I'm also nervous because I'm not sure the Persona writers are able to carry real, mature themes gracefully.

Game is pretty cool so far. Most "fun" moment was following the signs to find the right train, something a little amusing about that.

As someone who has visited Japan, that shit was too real for me.

bluethree

Man, that's making me excited. A darker Persona feels like a return to form.

But I'm also nervous because I'm not sure the Persona writers are able to carry real, mature themes gracefully.

So far, it's really well done, you don't have to worry there. I mean, it's not high literature necessarily, but the writing is still very good. If it continues like this, it'll be better than P3 or 4 for sure - and probably one of the best RPG stories imo.

It also strikes a great balance between said mature themes and the "we're having fun thieving it up" anime stuff - it doesn't feel tonally inconsistent or anything.

artsi

Man... I tweeted out about the Persona 5 launch celebration live stream that's happening at TGS 2016 from the Gematsu account, and someone responded with a possible major spoiler and an image. Not sure if it's legit, I saw it for a second and looked away from my phone. (Obviously don't check that tweet by itself if you don't want to potentially be spoiled because the spoiler response will show below it.)

Just so bummed out. =/

Sorry bro. I also got spoilers sent to me after I talked how I'm going to avoid spoilers in the community thread *sigh*
I didn't open any of them but I had my GF (not interested in games) to be a mine detector and check them out.

Some fucked up people ruining other's fun.

Zolo

Sorry bro. I also got spoilers sent to me after I talked how I'm going to avoid spoilers in the community thread *sigh*
I didn't open any of them but I had my GF (not interested in games) to be a mine detector and check them out.

Some fucked up people ruining other's fun.

Did they send them on GAF or other media? If GAF, definitely report them. I imagine it was through other channels though, since I doubt they'd commit account suicide on GAF for that.

artsi

Did they send them on GAF or other media? If GAF, definitely report them. I imagine it was through other channels though, since I doubt they'd commit account suicide on GAF for that.

I got GAF PM's also, haven't checked them out yet except that they're from someone not posting for a long time and the titles are just numbers in them.

But the ones I definitely got were on PSN, I hid my handle in my profile after that.

Dantis

Man... I tweeted out about the Persona 5 launch celebration live stream that's happening at TGS 2016 from the Gematsu account, and someone responded with a possible major spoiler and an image. Not sure if it's legit, I saw it for a second and looked away from my phone. (Obviously don't check that tweet by itself if you don't want to potentially be spoiled because the spoiler response will show below it.)

Just so bummed out. =/

Someone sent what I imagine is the same image to my art account.

It's a bummer, and the guy is a fucking loser, but it's still a tremendous game.

Shouta

P3 is dark in an abstract way. It has the imagery and the mood but it doesn't really do things. P5 actually has things happening.

I've only got 2 minor complaints so far about 6 hours in. One being that I don't like the border around the screen in dungeons making the playing area that much smaller. I think Atlus went a little too overboard with the interface layout and it's kind of overcrowded and in the way a bit. It's not that bad, but it's a bit much covering the gameplay.

The other minor complaint, and I don't know if it holds for the future story dungeons, but the way the first story dungeon is done is that you do a section of the dungeon and then hit a cutscene and retreat, then the next time you do a different section and then hit a cutscene and retreat, etc..etc.. until you get to the final end run of the dungeon. Not a big fan of forced piece-mealing the dungeon since I just wanna dungeon crawl, so I'm hoping the future dungeons don't follow this structure, but I could see them use this structure for all the dungeons possibly to make them more story-focused.
Finally got to play after watching koe no kotachi(manga is better but the movie was good too) and this is my major complaint thus far. I want to explore and fight a bit but since it's the first dungeon and first hours of the game, I'll let it pass. Luckily the characters are great thus far and the story is engaging. I just got 4 members in my team so hopefully the first dungeon will be over soon and the game opens up more.

How are the sidequests in this game? Fetch quests like the other games, or more substantial?

22 hours in and haven't seen any fetch quests yet, but have also only cleared the first dungeon so far.

Overall it feels like you have to use your head at lot more to get through, which is nice.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Just so bummed out. =/

Assholes every where. This is why I've removed my psn and social media accounts out of my profile and also set my settings to only allow friends to message me on psn.

Gotten psn messages before from an account with neogaf in the account name. Trolls just lurking these threads and sending spoilers and shit to people.

how does the story and cast compare to Persona 2?

P3 and P4 were really disappointing in these aspects for me, hopefully this goes in a different direction.

Gu4n

how does the story and cast compare to Persona 2?

P3 and P4 were really disappointing in these aspects for me, hopefully this goes in a different direction.
It's hard to compare, of course. The antics between Ryuuji and Morgan have more depth to them than Yosuke and Kuma ever had. The characters feel (even) more human than the previous two games, if that makes sense?

Haha. There is a lot in this game that definitely feels like authentic Tokyo, that's for sure.
If I didn't actually know how to transfer i probably would have been upset, seeing as i tried to go in the jr entrance despite knowing better.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions Shibuya was cute, but I've been pretty impressed overall with P5 locations.

Damn I'm actually surprised considering how the last Persona game was a bit too lighthearted.

P3 really wasn't all that dark. It had the imagery down, but aside from maybe having more major character deaths than the average JRPG that was kind of it.

bluethree

Just finished the first dungeon and am waiting to see what happens when the deadline passes. Gotta say, if they went straight for subject matter like that in the beginning, I'm really curious to see what kind of stuff comes up later.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see that Catherine's
Cocktail trivia returns in the form of Coffee trivia.

The only thing I will ask is that people who import:

Please do not spoil or ruin anything in other threads, for those of who have to wait until next year for this.

...and on that note i'm gonna gift this thread before i ruin anything for myself. Peace.

artsi

Can you control the rest of your party in battles later in the game?

You can from the beginning. Just give the order for manual control.

The only thing I will ask is that people who import:

Please do not spoil or ruin anything in other threads, for those of who have to wait until next year for this.

The people who import know that already as they value the experience. The jerks ruining the fun for others are usually people who read spoilers online without playing the game.

Even those who play the imported version have been spoiled by dickheads who rushed to look all the PS3 datamined stuff day one.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Can you control the rest of your party in battles later in the game?

Of course. For the first few battles they don't let you, but then you can use the Tactics option in the Order menu to set everyone to individual control.

DKHF

Just so bummed out. =/
That sucks. Hate people who do that stuff.

Seriously, I'm glad they are steering away from Persona 4's lighthearted-ness. As much as I enjoyed it, Persona's 3 moody and dark imagery is what drew me back to the series.

Knowing P5 is darker than P3 is exactly what I was hoping since most of what I've seen makes it look like a super fun super hero JRPG.

Man, cannot wait.

Dantis

Just finished dungeon 2. From a gameplay perspective it was as good as the first, but the antagonist seemed to have less presence.

I guess it helps that the first boss is set up brilliantly.

Game continues to impress. It's so good.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone past the part where you name the group confirm whether the name you pick shows up in the story? Or is it just for other players to see in the online stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom