• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rutger

Banned
P3 really wasn't that dark. It had some elements here and there, but honestly I don't think it was that far off from P4 tonally, it's just that P4 was much more focused in what it wanted to be.

Anyways, I finally have my copy. It's not going to be easy, but I'm ready to push my Japanese skills to their limits. Luckily I live in a time where looking up kanji is as simple as drawing it on my phone, haha.

P3 really wasn't that dark. It had some elements here and there, but honestly I don't think it was that far off from P4 tonally, it's just that P4 was much more focused in what it wanted to be.

Anyways, I finally have my copy. It's not going to be easy, but I'm ready to push my Japanese skills to their limits. Luckily I live in a time where looking up kanji is as simple as drawing it on my phone, haha.
It's super easy here too. Think i mentioned earlier but outside of anime scenes you can back up basically every conversation and even replay the audio to practice listening as well for new words. It's a great practice tool.

_Ryo_

Sorry if this has asked before but just of curiosity: how much does the MC talk?

Not much. General battle sounds and the occasional word here or there. Still mostly silent.

Well from what I've seen it's true he doesn't have much voice recording dialogue but he's actually much, much, more vocal than the last few Persona games protagonists in that
he has thought bubbles that display his thoughts in text form, and his interactions and dialogue choices with other characters are much more natural and fluid, and he interacts with Morgana to share the role as silent narrator and such.

Well it kinda depends on how you see dark. I thought P3 was dark not because of just imagery, but atmosphere as well. Themes such as memento mori cemented that for me. Not only that
there were actual deaths from the main cast. Plus the message of death is inevitable contributes to that.
I mean compare the endings to P3 and P4. The later
had no consequences while the other did which lead to a bittersweet end conveying that death is always the end.
Plus all the main cast had a dark past that contributed to the way they acted towards each other.

I mean its your opinion to say it wasn't dark, but P3 was definitely darker that P4. It was especially moody compared to it. Also let's not forget how perfect Yu was in P4 which contributed to its lightheartedness.

So for P5 to do more than P3 in terms of having a dark tone is a plus for me.

Well from what I've seen it's true he doesn't have much voice recording dialogue but he's actually much, much, more vocal than the last few Persona games protagonists in that
he has thought bubbles that display his thoughts in text form, and his interactions and dialogue choices with other characters are much more natural and fluid, and he interacts with Morgana to share the role as silent narrator and such.

All of this sounds great

Rutger

Banned
Well it kinda depends on how you see dark. I thought P3 was dark not because of just imagery, but atmosphere as well. Themes such as memento mori cemented that for me. Not only that
there were actual deaths from the main cast. Plus the message of death is inevitable contributes to that.
I mean compare the endings to P3 and P4. The later
had no consequences while the other did which lead to a bittersweet end conveying that death is always the end.
Plus all the main cast had a dark past that contributed to the way they acted towards each other.

I mean its your opinion to say it wasn't dark, but P3 was definitely darker that P4. It was especially moody compared to it. Also let's not forget how perfect Yu was in P4 which contributed to its lightheartedness.

So for P5 to do more than P3 in terms of having a dark tone is a plus for me.

I said P3 had elements here and there. It loved to push its themes of death wherever it could but overall the game was more about how good life can be. Also, I don't believe that (P3/P4 spoilers)
character death is needed to have a strong story, P3 used it to build on the idea of living as full a life as you can without worrying about the inevitability of death, but there was no place for it thematically in P4 so a character death would have been a waste of a character more than anything else. P4 is certainly not worse for not having "consequences".

Also, let's not act like P3's main character wasn't Jesus, he/she was no less perfect than Yu, haha.

Personally, I prefer P4 over P3, but that's because I think it is an overall stronger game/story. I'm looking forward to the darker tone of P5, because I feel this team has grown a lot since P3 and I expect they will pull it off wonderfully. I'm not picky on if the story is dark or lighthearted, I just want it to be good.

I said P3 had elements here and there. It loved to push its themes of death wherever it could but overall the game was more about how good life can be. Also, I don't believe that (P3/P4 spoilers)
character death is needed to have a strong story, P3 used it to build on the idea of living as full a life as you can without worrying about the inevitability of death, but there was no place for it thematically in P4 so a character death would have been a waste of a character more than anything else. P4 is certainly not worse for not having "consequences".

Also, let's not act like P3's main character wasn't Jesus, he/she was no less perfect than Yu, haha.

Personally, I prefer P4 over P3, but that's because I think it is an overall stronger game/story. I'm looking forward to the darker tone of P5, because I feel this team has grown a lot since P3 and I expect they will pull it off wonderfully. I'm not picky on if the story is dark or lighthearted, I just want it to be good.

Yeah true I want P5 to be good as well.

I think this is the best attitude to role with in regards to any game. To me "darkness" in writing is just about obstacles to the characters, they can be personal or worldwide, it's just a conflict or a consequence of conflict. Whether that conflict is interesting and developed depends on the piece of media in question. It's kinda like writing an argumentative paper in a way, except the writer has the task of writing both sides reasonably.

The P3 and P4 protagonists appeared perfect because of how the social links worked. And I too prefer P4 to P3, though I loved the latter's atmosphere.

I just finished the first dungeon (about 11 hours on my save), and wow so many gameplay options are opening up now.

Some random thoughts:
1. You can search for fusion options in P5, but it's not as comprehensive as the SQL-like stuff you could do when fusing demons in SMTIV and SMTIVA. Does that ever become possible later in the game?
2. When you're introduced to fusion in the Velvet room, it felt like
you're forced to fuse away Arsene into Agathion. Was anyone able to avoid losing Arsene? I know you can just use the compendium to reacquire him, but just asking. Feels like such a waste of a cool design if you're forced to fuse him away.
3. The entire leadup to the first boss fight was awesome. Having to
issue the warning letter, and then hearing that music for the entirety of the dungeon run. I didn't quite understand how the warning letter exposes the treasure you want to steal. The target will read the letter, and then realize his obsession, which affects his shadow? If it's further explained later in the game don't answer.
4. I love how you can discover buying
a TV and a watering can, and you can outright miss out on home improvement chances if you don't explore Tokyo. That's how it is in real life, you might miss out on stuff and that's perfectly fine.
5. I was late in
returning a video for two days thanks to the events in Golden Week, and they wanted to charge me a late fee! They waived it, but the game actually will charge late fees!

_Ryo_

If anyone's gotten there yet, how does
Mementos
work in this game? Is it like the anime where you
investigate things in the real world first and then fight the boss?

I just woke up after sleeping for 2 hours... I suppose you can imagine the reason I willingly deprived myself from sleeping :p

After starting the game again I finished the first dungeon. So far the game has been amazing, I love how despite being a turn based game, the battles feel dynamic. More than once I had to be very careful because the enemies almost wiped the floor with my team. I haven't found any annoying social links either. The characters are all pretty great, at this point of both P3 and P4 I had found at least one annoying character; in general characters are all very strong (I mean their characterization), take the kids from the volleyball club as an example: every time I interact with them I cannot stop thinking how awful is the situation they are in.

I'm still early in the game but I feel P5 has the potential to be the best game in the series.

Couldn't play yesterday , ( too much work ) i've resumed playing and goddam ryuji x morgana is one of the best back and forth i've seen in rpg lately ( that isn't a trails game )
I love their dialog.

I don't know if it's morgana that is superior (as in , a great character) , but i don't think i've disliked anything she has said so far

Magnificent.

Also THE MUSIC ... the music .. it's so freaking great ...

i regret not having the OST.

takoyaki

So far, so Persona. Played for 3h yesterday and it feels really good to be back in this world. I almost went in blind with P5 and I like the setting and characters so far, Morgana da best.

The technical presentation on PS4 is disappointing (uprezzed PS3 game, occasional PS2-like textures, 30fps, bad AA,...); But the art-design makes up for so much of it that it's not really bothering me. It's just that I was expecting more of a jump in quality/polish after 8 years.

Two things I forgot to mention in my previous post:

Is Morgana a boy? At the very beginning of the game when Morgana speaks the description says "Boy-like voice" and when Morgana sees Ann for the first time, hearts appear in the air. Morgana's name is a name for a Woman though, so I suppose the ambiguity is clearly intended and at some point they'll reveal Morgana's gender. But I don't want to go to the spoilers thread so better to take this out of my mind here.

The other is more related to the gameplay. I don't really mind it but I think GAF will pick this up in February: the game always tells you where to go and what to do more than in the previous two games... In P3 and P4 there were "natural" events that dictated the pace of the game, but not in this case, instead the characters establish deadlines themselves and I suppose because of that there's always a reminder of what you have to do on the screen. As I said, I think people may not like it and they any criticize as "excessive hand holding".

Is Morgana a boy? At the very beginning of the game when Morgana speaks the description says "Boy-like voice" and when Morgana sees Ann for the first time, hearts appear in the air. Morgana's name is a name for a Woman though, so I suppose the ambiguity is clearly intended and at some point they'll reveal Morgana's gender. But I don't want to go to the spoilers thread so better to take this out of my mind here.

There is a proper answer to this, and it's addressed pretty early on.

Not really a big spoiler, but whatever:
Morgana's a boy.

Shouta

I'm streaming again if anyone wants to watch

Picking up where I left off. I got bodied by an Orthros when I had Nue equipped. -_-

There is a proper answer to this, and it's addressed pretty early on.

Not really a big spoiler, but whatever:
Morgana's a boy.

I remember Morgana said it had been a long time since he/she was in the other world so he/she lost its human form or at least that's what I understood
. I'm still on April so I don't know if I missed the reveal.

Darksol

Two things I forgot to mention in my previous post:

The other is more related to the gameplay. I don't really mind it but I think GAF will pick this up in February: the game always tells you where to go and what to do more than in the previous two games... In P3 and P4 there were "natural" events that dictated the pace of the game, but not in this case, instead the characters establish deadlines themselves and I suppose because of that there's always a reminder of what you have to do on the screen. As I said, I think people may not like it and they any criticize as "excessive hand holding".

Morgana is a
boy.

As for the hand holding, I don't really feel its presence.
Sure, objectives are clearly named, but it's not like an EA or Ubisoft game with a compass and dots leading you down the exact path or anything.
I don't think anyone will care.

How's Ryuji? He looked like he had the most potential to suck.

He is
surprisingly awesome. I expected a bad attempt at recreating Kanji or Yusuke, but he is very much his own character and a pretty interesting one at that.

That's one the best thing you could've said about it. It's that good, huh?

February 14th, 2017.

It's so good. Will easily be ranked among GOTG.

I'm streaming again if anyone wants to watch

Picking up where I left off. I got bodied by an Orthros when I had Nue equipped. -_-

Currently watching your stream and was wondering how are the demon communications. Are they better than in P1 and P2? Found them annoying in those games.

Do you have to initiate an All-Out Attack to make them happen?

Off Topic.

Who's that manga character?
image.php

Darksol

Currently watching your stream and was wondering how are the demon communications. Are they better than in P1 and P2? Found them annoying in those games.

Do you have to initiate an All-Out Attack to make them happen?

Much more tolerable than P1 and P2 in my opinion.

Short answer to your question about AOA
nope.

Detailed answer:
Demon negotiation happens randomly under a couple of circumstances. If you get an enemy's health down low enough, they may initiate conversation with you. The other (easier) way is to hit an enemy with their weakness. Then they fall down and you can choose whether you want to negotiate with the demon, launch an all out attack, etc.

Thanks for answering Shouta! Glad to hear they manage to make Demon Communications good. I'm right there with you on P1 and P2 communications, tedious.

Much more tolerable than P1 and P2 in my opinion.

Short answer to your question
nope.

Detailed answer:
Demon negotiation happens randomly under a couple of circumstances. If you get an enemy's health down low enough, they may initiate conversation with you. The other (easier) way is to hit an enemy with their weakness. Then they fall down and you can choose whether you want to negotiate with the demon, launch an all out attack, etc.

Tolerable is still better than P1 and P2. I'll take it.

Gotoh from Patlabor. =p

Makoto: As I said on stream, it's much simpler and nowhere near as frustrating as P1 and P2. You need to knock all enemies down then you get a chance to negotiate or do an AoA.

Thanks again. Loving the stream, my lack of Japanese is preventing any real potential spoilers.

raven777

played about 9 hours, still very early part of the game.

So far it has been fantastic. It's basically what I expected from a new generation of Persona game and more. I barely played the dungeon but it has been very impressive compared to previous game's procedurally generated ones.

My only very minor complaints are:
not enough scenes are voiced
some visual aspects like low res texture are sometime noticeable.

But these are just personal minor complaints and overall game is fantastic so far.

muteki

Haven't had much time to play, just just starting first day of school tomorrow. Hopefully my reading speed can increase when it is more teenagers and less legal- and igor-ese.

Sojiro has a cool hat. And MC is almost instantly more relatable than what I remember of early Yu.

ChazGW7

Help me out here GAF: I really want to play Persona 4 before I get 5 next year. Everyone tells me Persona 4 Golden is much better than its PS2 version but I don't own a Vita anymore.

Is it worth dropping the $$ for a PS TV + P4G or should I just play the PS2 version? Is the difference that big/worth it??

Guess Who

Banned
Help me out here GAF: I really want to play Persona 4 before I get 5 next year. Everyone tells me Persona 4 Golden is much better than its PS2 version but I don't own a Vita anymore.

Is it worth dropping the $$ for a PS TV + P4G or should I just emulate the PS2 version? Is the difference that big/worth it??

PS2 version is fine. P4G is more a mixed bag in terms of its additions than a lot of people let on.

Lunar15

Is it worth dropping the $$ for a PS TV + P4G or should I just emulate the PS2 version? Is the difference that big/worth it??

Gonna echo Guess Who here and say that the PS2 version is perfectly fine. The extra content isn't that great, and I actually think the core experience is better without it.

So glad I bought the limited edition. This soundtrack is flames and the extra items are GREATLY appreciated.

On p4g: the jukebox and other extras are cool but yeah, wasn't big on the extra character or events. Ps2 version feels just right content wise

Gonna echo Guess Who here and say that the PS2 version is perfectly fine. The extra content isn't that great, and I actually think the core experience is better without it.

Totally. What I tend to miss the most are the gameplay tweaks. P4G is a lot more convenient to play, but P4 is the more consistent package.

Zolo

Is it worth dropping the $$ for a PS TV + P4G or should I just play the PS2 version? Is the difference that big/worth it??

There's an extensive list of the changes here:

Two new Social Links. Both Social Links are capable of unlocking new story content — such as new dungeons, and additional scenes for every ending.

Marie, a Persona 4 Golden exclusive character, of the Aeon Arcana.
Tohru Adachi, of the Jester Arcana.

New Difficulty levels similar to Persona 3 Portable. On New Game+, the player can change and even customize the difficulty levels for individual game elements in the configuration menu. The pre-set levels of difficulty are:

Safety (Very Easy in NA Version)
Easy (Left untouched in NA Version, used to be called Beginner)
Normal
Hard (Left untouched in NA Version, used to be Expert)
Risky (Very Hard in NA Version)

Several new music tracks.
Additional voice over dialogue.
Chie and Teddie have new voices in the English versions.
New animated cutscenes.
More Personas, including new Ultimate Personas for the Investigation Team.
New areas, such as Shichiri Beach, and a ski resort. Okina City, which was only seen during certain Social Link scenes, is now accessible.
New events, such as a Halloween event and a skiing trip.
The player can now explore Inaba in the evening, when Dojima is not home. Places to visit are limited, just like Persona 3.
Yu and his friends now have motorized scooters to explore various areas.
Costumes are now available to buy at Croco Fur, in Okina City. Costumes have their own slot for equipment, and affects the Investigation Team's appearance, similar to Persona 3 FES and Persona 3 Portable. Costumes do not affect the party's stats.
New Garden and Bug Catching features.
Trophies.
The ability to choose which skills can be inherited by the Persona the player is fusing. (However inheritance restriction still applies.)
The Vox Populi (Voice of the People) and SOS are new additions to the game, available while connected to the PlayStation Network.

The Vox Populi can be used to see what other players of Persona 4 Golden have chosen to do during the current day in the game. The feature is also available in the Velvet Room to see what Personas other players are currently fusing.
The SOS feature calls other online players for help in dungeons, allows you to send help to others, and is received as a gift of a minor amount of health and spirit.[1] The amount restored by the SOS is very little and isn't restricted by the current health status of your party.

New scene skipping function.
If the player fulfills criteria for at least the good ending, daily activities are expanded to February 14, 2012, giving more time for events and social links.
New epilogue for the True Ending.
Changes to the requests of NPCs or the fox.
Some changes to the flow of battle:

Some shadows/enemies have changed their attribute (weakness/strength/null) or area spawn.
Shuffle Time has been revised.
Rebalanced characters.
Rise can now assist the Investigation Team in All-Out-Attacks.
Tag Team attacks.
Cavalry Attacks: Attacks from members of the Investigation Team that are not currently in the party. These usually are a follow up to Weak/Critical attacks that down an additional enemy or two allowing for an All-Out-Attack.
Some spells has been reduced its usage cost (Megidolaon now only costs 38 SP and Morning Star costs 55 SP).
Spell buffs and debuffs can now be used on the same character to prolong the effect.

A new "TV Listings" menu, for displaying bonus content unlocked through the main game. Bonus content and the game itself are presented as television shows. The various shows are:

Song Battle 2012 - Various clips from Persona Music Live 2008 and 2009.
Mr. Edogawa's TV Classroom - Lectures on the various themes of the game and their relation to psychology.
Midnight Trivia Miracle Quiz - A Quiz show with questions regarding minor aspects of Inaba and the Shadow World. The character dialogue in this content is fully voiced.
Daily Personamations! - A hub for rewatching the game's animated cutscenes. Scenes are unlocked as they are encountered during play.
P4 Golden - The main game, this program serves as a link to return to the game.
Giants of P - A series that shows Persona 4 concept art with commentary on each piece. Additional pieces of art are unlocked as the story progresses.
HEE! HEE! HOO! Music King - An in-game music player for listening to previously encountered music. Additional tracks are unlocked through playing the game.
Persona Hits - This series shows various Japanese television commercials for Persona, Persona 3, and Persona 4.
What is P4 Arena? - Plays the P1 Grand Prix introduction video from the Persona 4 Arena story mode.
P4 the Animation! - A Japanese extended trailer for the Persona 4 anime, this content has the original Japanese audio and does not contain subtitles.
The Midnight Channel - A Minigame accessible only when the PlayStation Vita's clock is at Midnight until 1:00 AM. It features Teddie covered by TV static and can be manipulated with the device's touchscreen. Teddie is fully voiced in this mode.

Floors and chests in dungeons reset by changing floors instead of leaving the dungeon and TV world or visiting another dungeon.

After reading, you can make the decision yourself, though you can generally get a PSTV + P4G for about $60-$70.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom