• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

takoyaki

I'm like , i'm gonna reach that safe room and save since i need to stop playing and like 8 minutes later i realise that i've exited the safe room and i'm exploring the dongeon again ( when i initially planned to stop playing for the night..) it's that addictive. the dongeons of P3 and P4 can't compare .. a serious improvement.

Same thing happened to tonight; wanted to quit for the night, went to a save room, continued playing without even thinking about it.

Only played 7-8h, but I can already feel that special P3/4 magic that just keeps pulling you back in. Really great game so far.

As someone who's favorite series is Persona, I wouldn't want to ruin it by putting a learning experience above playing the actual game. The irony of course is that the whole translating bit by bit part is so grueling that you would probably prefer doing it with something you actually enjoy. I've pretty much decided to stop playing when I get to point where I can fight in the first dungeon when ever I want. That way I can enjoy the fights a little without tutorials popping up all the time. After that I will just wait. I realize I spent $100 for only like 4 hours of gameplay but man was it worth it for me :p

I am feeling like it might be worth it for me, because yeah...doing it for something I enjoy would certainly make it more enjoyable learning. I want reading and understanding Japanese to eventually become easier for me, where just seeing it will be natural. I'm going to studying there next year, and am eventually hoping to teach there.

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
So, I've watched bits & pieces of the streams, but haven't had an opportunity to view any boss battles yet.

As much as I love the battle system, one thing that makes me nervous is that, after multiple Persona/ Shin Megami games with variations on that system, the battles might not prove interesting/challenging enough beyond the standard delights of the 1more techniques.

Have there been any surprises in the battles yet, such as enemies being able to compensate for their weaknesses or adjust for player resistances? Or unique scenarios?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Mementos is kinda interesting but dear lord that music loop is annoying. Feels so lazy compared to the rest of the game's brilliant soundtrack.
Also, am I the only one that's getting a headache from the pink filter they use on the screen during Mementos battles?

daevious

So, I've watched bits & pieces of the streams, but haven't had an opportunity to view any boss battles yet.

As much as I love the battle system, one thing that makes me nervous is that, after multiple Persona/ Shin Megami games with variations on that system, the battles might not prove interesting/challenging enough beyond the standard delights of the 1more techniques.

Have there been any surprises in the battles yet, such as enemies being able to compensate for their weaknesses or adjust for player resistances? Or unique scenarios?

I've been watching a hard mode stream and that mode is brutal in regards to how quick things can go badly for you. If you're worried about having too easy a time, go for hard.

Bebpo

Banned
Now that I've gotten a good chunk in, the game is good, but one complaint I have is they really prioritized style over functionality. Even just sitting through the post battle animation of walking away basically creates a 4-5 second post-battle load when I'm sure on ps4 it would be much faster if you could skip the animation. Stylish camera angles sometimes make it easy to miss stuff. I also hate equipping anything.

It's a great game, but at this point I think SMT4-2 was a lot more fun to play because it's so quick and focused on pure functionality for a fun gameplay experience. There've been a few parts in P5 so far that were a little tedious already. The challenge is the only thing that keeps normal battles interesting, otherwise they're just slightly tedious loading interrupting your dungeon crawl.

Gu4n

Mementos is kinda interesting but dear lord that music loop is annoying. Feels so lazy compared to the rest of the game's brilliant soundtrack.
Also, am I the only one that's getting a headache from the pink filter they use on the screen during Mementos battles?
Not that one, but the spinning camera/moving backgrounds sometimes make me dizzy or give me problems focusing. I actually prefer to play the game through Remote Play on my Vita because of the UI.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I've gotten a good chunk in, the game is good, but one complaint I have is they really prioritized style over functionality. Even just sitting through the post battle animation of walking away basically creates a 4-5 second post-battle load when I'm sure on ps4 it would be much faster if you could skip the animation. Stylish camera angles sometimes make it easy to miss stuff. I also hate equipping anything.

It's a great game, but at this point I think SMT4-2 was a lot more fun to play because it's so quick and focused on pure functionality for a fun gameplay experience. There've been a few parts in P5 so far that were a little tedious already. The challenge is the only thing that keeps normal battles interesting, otherwise they're just slightly tedious loading interrupting your dungeon crawl.

I'm gonna have to disagree there. While the game definitely emphasises style, it doesn't feel like like they've let it compromise functionality at all. The results screen is clearly like that to mask a loading screen, same goes for the pre-battle animation. There are a ridiculous amount of quality-of-life improvements in the battle system with the altered layout and button mapping and in the rest of the game's UI that make things feel so much smoother and more convenient than past games, while still having a great sense of style.

Darksol

I'm gonna have to disagree there. While the game definitely emphasises style, it doesn't feel like like they've let it compromise functionality at all. The results screen is clearly like that to mask a loading screen, same goes for the pre-battle animation. There are a ridiculous amount of quality-of-life improvements in the battle system with the altered layout and button mapping and in the rest of the game's UI that make things feel so much smoother and more convenient than past games, while still having a great sense of style.

Ditto this.

As someone who's favorite series is Persona, I wouldn't want to ruin it by putting a learning experience above playing the actual game. The irony of course is that the whole translating bit by bit part is so grueling that you would probably prefer doing it with something you actually enjoy. I've pretty much decided to stop playing when I get to point where I can fight in the first dungeon when ever I want. That way I can enjoy the fights a little without tutorials popping up all the time. After that I will just wait. I realize I spent $100 for only like 4 hours of gameplay but man was it worth it for me :p

This is me. I havent stopped yet. 1.5 hours in right now. Ill probably around the same place.

Beat the first dungeon and just curious, is it better to wait until the last day to completed a dungeon or do it right away? I'm guessing it's like persona 4 where it's better to beat everything the last day?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Spoiler question for the first dungeon:
Where do I go once ive gotten to the roof and realized its locked?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Beat the first dungeon and just curious, is it better to wait until the last day to completed a dungeon or do it right away? I'm guessing it's like persona 4 where it's better to beat everything the last day?

(Barely spoilers, but I'll tag them anyway in case)
It doesn't really seem to make a difference, but I'm probably going to start leaving the boss until the very end of the deadline, since it does break the pace a little bit to beat the boss and then have to wait several days for the deadline to come and the effects to actually show.

Spoiler question for the first dungeon:
Where do I go once ive gotten to the roof and realized its locked?

Use Third Eye, there should be a wall you can climb up to go around.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
(Barely spoilers, but I'll tag them anyway in case)
It doesn't really seem to make a difference, but I'm probably going to start leaving the boss until the very end of the deadline, since it does break the pace a little bit to beat the boss and then have to wait several days for the deadline to come and the effects to actually show.

Use Third Eye, there should be a wall you can climb up to go around.

Shit, im an idiot.
I used it before, found a path but couldnt see where else to go. Oh well, thanks!

Dantis

The music loop in Mementos is awful. I jut put on a podcast and turn down the TV when I do them.

Be interested to know if it's a Meguro track. My gut says not.

Agreed. It was a big question going in whether or everything would be too flashy but also sluggish, and it turns out it knows exactly how to still be quick while keeping the style. It's so good.

bluethree

So guys who are already playing it: is it a 10/10 Game of the Generation as we were all expecting it to be?

As good as P3 and 4 were, this game makes them look like amateur hour. If it continues being this good, it's definitely a contender for one of the best ever.

Dantis

Hey guys, I'm stuck on the part where you have to
gather info on the Mafia
I've spoken to Anne, Ryuji, Yusuke and Makoto, along with everyone else I can find, and I'm stumped.

Little help?

EDIT: sorted it. Wish they wouldn't put these shit investigation parts in. No fun at all.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Spoilers for 5/17
Oh, so Yusuke is gay after all?

exemp30

Spoilers for 5/17
Oh, so Yusuke is gay after all?
Clicked on the spoiler out of some strange reflex haha is that real?
I wish I could play this but I have no knowledge of the Japanese language so I have to wait. How enjoyable would you guys say this would be if I got it?

Shouta

Man, I'm racking up a lot of hours because of the streaming. I'm starting to think I should just finish playing offline because the pace is sluggish, lol.

putarorex

I am about to start the third dungeon having played for about 30 hours. I forgot how much time it takes to play through the Persona games. Based on how many characters I have in my party I think I have a long way to go. I never finished Persona 3 and 4 because I ended up getting burned out. I think I'll last longer with this one, but I'll have see how things go once I am working again and only have a few hours a day to play on the weekdays. The story seems more interesting this time around for me.

ranmafan

So guys who are already playing it: is it a 10/10 Game of the Generation as we were all expecting it to be?

I'm still insanely super early in it but so far I'm insanely impressed. What I've seen and played so far has been fantastic and is surprising my high expectations. And I'm getting that great Altus game feeling I got while playing #fe last December, where I'm loving the gameplay so much I don't want to put it down. They really do make the best jrpgs and all for sure. But yeah its been amazing so far, and I got so much more to go!

Qurupeke

I'm kind of afraid to check the thread further due to spoilers, but how are the impressions so far? Is it good enough, great or perfect?

I'm kind of afraid to check the thread further due to spoilers, but how are the impressions so far? Is it good enough, great or perfect?

On a scale of 1 to KyoAni-stops-fucking-around-and-lets-something-happen--between-Kumiko-and-Reina?

Just 1 below the impossibility.

ubiblu

20 hours in and I am honestly enjoying it even more than P4G (didn't believe that was possible). A few minor issues here and there, but pretty much running towards a perfect score in my books. I can see this becoming top 5 of all-time for a lot of Persona fans.

Qurupeke

On a scale of 1 to KyoAni-stops-fucking-around-and-lets-something-happen--between-Kumiko-and-Reina?

Just 1 below the impossibility.

Haha, that's an amazing comparison. Awesome.
20 hours in and I am honestly enjoying it even more than P4G (didn't believe that was possible). A few minor issues here and there, but pretty much running towards a perfect score in my books. I can see this becoming top 5 of all-time for a lot of Persona fans.

Nice, looking forward to it even more now.

artsi

I don't say it's perfect because that would mean there's nothing to do better.

But it's damn near that.

If it was 100% voice acted and there was no texture issues with some environments, then I would say it's perfect.
Those textures are actually baffling me, how did that happen? I could fix most of them myself in a week.

There's these very sharp textures that are fine, and next to them there's this PS2 level crap.

Yes, but I think it could also mean that
he's so focused on his art that he doesn't think about Ann sexually in that situation. Also, he's not talking about women in general, just Ann. "I'm not interested in her as the member of opposite gender in the slightest."
That's my impression too, that he is only referring to Anne specifically.

I'm probably underlevelled for the second boss considering he can kill any of my party members in only two attacks, but I think the system for challenging a boss is really badly designed.
It's not just the fact you're effectively spending two entire in-game days for the letter as well as the battle. But I have a problem with you being forced to go through a long series of cutscenes before taking on the boss. The retry battle instantly feature is appreciated, but it's possible for you to enter the battle with a setup that just doesn't work. And you can't do much grinding to prepare for the boss as there's no way to heal your SP.

I don't say it's perfect because that would mean there's nothing to do better.

But it's damn near that.

If it was 100% voice acted and there was no texture issues with some environments, then I would say it's perfect.
Those textures are actually baffling me, how did that happen? I could fix most of them myself in a week.

There's these very sharp textures that are fine, and next to them there's this PS2 level crap.
It would be cool if Atlus USA took it upon themselves and dubbed more scenes. Sadly, I don't see it happening..

artsi

It would be cool if Atlus USA took it upon themselves and dubbed more scenes. Sadly, I don't see it happening..

Yeah. I'm afraid it was a budget issue to begin with, using top class voice actors can't be that cheap.

I hope they can shell out more for Persona 6 and make it even better. But let's finish this one first before the next 7 year wait :p

Dantis

That's my impression too, that he is only referring to Anne specifically.

I'm probably underlevelled for the second boss considering he can kill any of my party members in only two attacks, but I think the system for challenging a boss is really badly designed.
It's not just the fact you're effectively spending two entire in-game days for the letter as well as the battle. But I have a problem with you being forced to go through a long series of cutscenes before taking on the boss. The retry battle instantly feature is appreciated, but it's possible for you to enter the battle with a setup that just doesn't work. And you can't do much grinding to prepare for the boss as there's no way to heal your SP.

You're definitely underlevelled bu the sounds of things. I wiped the floor with him. Think I was around level 20?

Guru-Guru

Banned
I want to do co-op with Anne but I don't know where to find her ever...Where does she usually hangout? For reference, I am on 5/21. On the map it says she's in Shibuya, but I must be blind, since I never find her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom