• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

So I was searching to figure out Morgana's suggestion of 女豹 for Anne's codename and man that is not really a SFW search.

artsi

omg you have to pay for premium to be able to scrub through previous live broadcasts?

wtf? have japanese people never used youtube or twitch before? why the fuck would anyone keep using niconico

Japanese like their Japanese services. There's nothing good about it (except the flying comments can be funny), but yeah.

omg you have to pay for premium to be able to scrub through previous live broadcasts?

wtf? have japanese people never used youtube or twitch before? why the fuck would anyone keep using niconico
I think it works without a premium. It asked me for my twitter and let me view it.

So is anyone else keeping Arsense or some of the early game personas? Compared to P3 and maybe vanilla P4 staring personas are still pretty viable with the new additions to the velvet room.

The dungeon crawling isn't just a means to battling monsters this time around. There's much more of a visual story to them, as well as minor events and puzzles that are scattered throughout to keep you engaged. Story events also pop up while inside. They may be longer, but trust me, all things considered, they are a huge improvement.

Just don't play Mementos though, heh.

This sounds great as long as the Mementos aren't super important for progression or story. Like I'll happily play longer dungeons if they're interesting, but then I have to go to Tartarus too? But what about my part time jobs and school friendships? >:-(

I don't mean to sound grumpy, this is one of my most hyped games and I'll dungeon crawl if I have to. Just not the part I'm anticipating.

Played the first three hours today, really digging it so far. The atmosphere alone is such a huge step up from the previous games. I'm only getting about half the story, though, so I might shelve it and wait for the localisation before I get too far in.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Most of the at night only links are tough doesn't seems like you have any choice but spend time on just upping favor points with most of them.
Shrine helps out with days being at times empty with no day slink being available for me.

Going to be interesting if I can manage an all max slink run on my first playthrough probably going to miss it by like 1-2 most likely. Overly pushing knowledge was definitely not that time efficient given that there is no favor points boost this time around for acing exams and with Sun and Devil link giving tons of charisma it seems like settling at lower knowledge for the exams isn't really a big deal.

Is the mechanic from Persona 4 still in place where if you're holding a persona of the same arcana as the social link it'll level up faster? I've been buying a bunch of different personas before I go on a social link spree.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm quite surprised by how many people finished the game already. I had the whole week off (unrelated, ha ha) and put 90 hours into the game, didn't spend that much time grinding and was able to clear most palaces in 2-4 hours and yet I'm still on November at level 55 (with lv 77 and 74 Personas, but that's another story). I don't think I did anything which I would consider "wasting time", so wow.

I guess I'm really terrible at SMT-esqe games after all, ha ha.

Shouta

Just finished the game with a whopping 133 hours on the clock because of all the translating, lol. I'll write up some stuff about it tomorrow but I was very satisfied with the ending.

Just finished the game with a whopping 133 hours on the clock because of all the translating, lol. I'll write up some stuff about it tomorrow but I was very satisfied with the ending.
Awaiting your impressions of the overall story. Some find it too predictable yet others are satisfied, which makes me worry. I take it you found it good? Hope you liked the SLs too.

Edit:
Oh man. This review is getting me excited!
I loved chilling with other people in Persona 4 and doing weekend stuff. Seemed more common in P4G. Glad they are improving on it and adding even more. How much does this happen? And is it for all characters?

Gu4n

I notice my interest in the game is dropping real fast with the little time I have to play at night. Maybe I should just save it for weekends when I can play a couple of hours straight.

Just started the third dungeon.

Shouta

Awaiting your impressions of the overall story. Some find it too predictable yet others are satisfied, which makes me worry. I take it you found it good? Hope you liked the SLs too.

Edit:

Oh man. This review is getting me excited!
I loved chilling with other people in Persona 4 and doing weekend stuff. Seemed more common in P4G. Glad they are improving on it and adding even more. How much does this happen? And is it for all characters?

In short, the story is extremely good. Easily the best one in the Persona series and one of the best I've played recently.

I asked a while ago but nobody answered. How is PS3 performance? Many drops? How long are load times?
I noticed some slight frame drops only when going out of a shop for example, essentially when it's loading a relatively big area. I can't say I really noticed any in dungeons nor in battle. Load time are pretty short, the longest being the one before getting to the main menu.

Since a couple of you have finished the game already, did anyone check how the NG+ is? What do we keep and what do we lose?

I noticed some slight frame drops only when going out of a shop for example, essentially when it's loading a relatively big area. I can't say I really noticed any in dungeons nor in battle. Load time are pretty short, the longest being the one before getting to the main menu.

Since a couple of you have finished the game already, did anyone check how the NG+ is? What do we keep and what do we lose?

You keep money, basic (blue) items, equipment including what you had on at the end, key items gained from maxing out co-op links, registered persona, and human stats like charisma etc. you don't keep levels, present items, co-op progress.

In short, the story is extremely good. Easily the best one in the Persona series and one of the best I've played recently.

Are there many twists?

I got a major endgame plot point spoiled and whilst I doubt four words can completely spoil the game, I really hope there's more surprises in store.

You keep money, basic (blue) items, equipment including what you had on at the end, key items gained from maxing out co-op links, registered persona, and human stats like charisma etc. you don't keep levels, present items, co-op progress.
Thanks! I guess that's pretty much like P4 then. It would be nice to keep the gameplay stuff you unlock via coops, but maybe that would make it a bit too easy.

I asked a while ago but nobody answered. How is PS3 performance? Many drops? How long are load times?

The framerate has stuttered for me a few times in the overworld when it's loading an area, but otherwise it runs just fine. The load times are maybe slightly on the longish side, but not enough for it to be annoying. The loading icon is also pretty cute which makes it better. The graphics are pretty rough. Lots of jaggies.

convo

Are there many twists?

I got a major endgame plot point spoiled and whilst I doubt four words can completely spoil the game, I really hope there's more surprises in store.

If it's one point you'll be fine. One sentence isn't enough to summarize everything.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Dungeon #4,
God damn it who's cutting onions here?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Question about dungeon 7 -
Morgana told me to level up my coops before the final boss confrontation - can I just finish it early as usual, or will I time skip after that and lose days?

ubiblu

4 dungeons down, 45 hours in. Well placed to be in my top 5 games of all-time, maybe top 3.

But fuck シャドウ福来 and other annoying Insta-kill Mementos bosses. I had to rebattle this asshole 20 times because of brain jack that confuses the whole party and basically wipes you before you get to press a button. Luck-based Insta-kill of the player is the one thing that grates me about the series as a whole, and needs to die.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
4 dungeons down, 45 hours in. Well placed to be in my top 5 games of all-time, maybe top 3.

But fuck シャドウ福来 and other annoying Insta-kill Mementos bosses. I had to rebattle this asshole 20 times because of brain jack that confuses the whole party and basically wipes you before you get to press a button. Luck-based Insta-kill of the player is the one thing that grates me about the series as a whole, and needs to die.
Getting accessories which raise resistance to those might be a good idea, although I don't think I think I only had a situation like this happen once and it was my fault (trying to crit and enemy twice, MC dying because of a similar combo).
That said, I agree. I don't understand why insta kill stuff is in the series at all, especially when you get a game over when the main character dies.

Jintor

5/19 infiltration spoils

Ann's acting is godawful. I know it's meant to be godawful but it's still pretty bloody godawful.

Holy shit she kidnapped Yusuke. Lmao!

Shouta

Are there many twists?

There are a few. However, I'd say it's better to enjoy the game for the ride than the twists.

How was the ending compared to say Persona 3 and Persona 4?

Better than either easily. I haven't played Golden though but that has the benefit of hindsight on the developer's part.

5/19 infiltration spoils

Ann's acting is godawful. I know it's meant to be godawful but it's still pretty bloody godawful.

Holy shit she kidnapped Yusuke. Lmao!
That scene was a lot of fun. I'd say it's a good sign how this games manages to make me laugh even if I'm not understanding everything that is being said.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There are a few. However, I'd say it's better to enjoy the game for the ride than the twists.

Better than either easily. I haven't played Golden though but that has the benefit of hindsight on the developer's part.
Hey Shouta, could you answer my question about dungeon 7 from a few posts earlier? :)

Jintor

Holy shit this game sometimes

5/19 battle spoilers

So I do the mandatory 2-man fight with the shitty guard and it drops me and ryuji to like 100 hp before i smash it into the ground. Events progress, Yusuke gets his persona, we start the mid-boss fight, I down EVERYONE, follow it with an all-out attack, only the midboss is left... he takes his turn and hits my protagonist for 150 damage killing him instantaneously

lmao

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You're safe if you want to do stuff after, as I recall
Awesome, thank you. I'm planning to finish that dungeon tomorrow, level up quite a bit and hopefully get to the end of the game by Wednesday/Thursday.

As for the predictability (so far), I think it's alright. Sure, the game could have deus ex machinas everywhere or foreshadowing that you could only notice when playing for the second time, but I don't think that's necessary.

Holy shit this game sometimes

5/19 battle spoilers

So I do the mandatory 2-man fight with the shitty guard and it drops me and ryuji to like 100 hp before i smash it into the ground. Events progress, Yusuke gets his persona, we start the mid-boss fight, I down EVERYONE, follow it with an all-out attack, only the midboss is left... he takes his turn and hits my protagonist for 150 damage killing him instantaneously

lmao
I still hate how if the protagonist dies you get a game over. It's so annoying.

Jintor

"You made friends with Yosuke, Yosuke will now DIE for you" was stupid from a storytelling perspective but it sure made not dying easier

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
"You made friends with Yosuke, Yosuke will now DIE for you" was stupid from a storytelling perspective but it sure made not dying easier
This game has かばう for all characters iirc (if that's what that was).
I don't think it works with instant death attacks and when the party member who is supposed to cover you is confused etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom