• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

I like Connections better. Co-op feels like wasei-eigo to me

I don't even know what that means.

I personally like Co-op because it implies a mutually beneficial relationship. You help people with their problems and you get things to help you kill shadows or something like that.

It might be because I played on Normal, but I still thought that status effect skills like you mentioned are a waste of slots. Instead I was sure that MC has one Persona with Miracle Punch on him and that Morgana, who was the only character I had in my team at all times has that skill as well. Critical rate was high enough to get me through most fights with enemies with no weaknesses.

I played on Hard and didn't feel compelled to use the Technical combo mechanic either, the damage boost didn't seem significant enough. Status effects ARE useful though, they seem to apply rather easily, and disabling enemies you can't take out immediately is extremely useful in Hard.

Really glad to see the near unanimous praise for the game!

The only thing left that I want to know is quite specific: how's the final boss battle track in P5? The sheer hype of the P3 final boss theme and the utter magnitude of P4's rank among my favorites, and I'm really curious to know if P5 can deliver on those high standards.

I don't want to know any details whatsoever about the theme itself; I simply want to know how it compares, and perhaps set my expectations to not be too high, either haha. I know this is a really subjective sort of question, and not everyone pays too much attention to music in games, but I'd appreciate it if someone could at least give a non-spoilery comment on it.

I didn't really think much of the final boss theme, but there IS an "important to the plot" boss theme that is pretty awesome.

After the Holy Stone for the Fortune Coop, another 10万 gone to level the Strength Coop from 1 to 7. Minor spoilers for said Coop unlock
Could someone explain to me how the "prison" works? Does the persona I leave there get experience, like the Day Care in Pokemon?
I was also wondering, around what time (approximately) do the Tower and Temperance Coops become available?
Regarding the spoilered
After a few in-game days the persona you left in solitary confinement will learn a passive skill. It is most likely to be a skill that protects them from their weakness. There's also a chance for it to be a bad status resistance skill. When you first gain this function they can only learn resist skills, when you get the coop level higher they will learn null skills instead. The higher your coop level of that persona's arcana, the less days it requires to learn the skill.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Joined the finished club. Goddammit what a game..... 100% satisfied they really did it!!! 8 years of anticipation and hype and I wasn't let down.
Course not everything was perfect but what really is. In the end the game made me laugh, made me angry(at the villains), made me feel encouraged etc etc pretty much the full ride.

Hope P5 is insanely successful and allows the production to grow for P6 or even SMT.
You can always only pray for the story connect with you that said I think looking at the progression from P3 it's clear the writers are growing and the game systems are always improving.

Like it wasn't an issue but like Shouta mentioned the VA of this game was unbelievably good and I can only imagine how much it would have heightened the experience for it to have been fully voiced. Or things like more art assets for certain things pretty much mostly production related improvements that come to my mind.

Going to everything sink in for a while and then going to dive into the spoilers thread interested to see what other people took away from it.

Also totally raised knowledge by finishing this game my P5 vocab deck is about ~50 new words.

artsi

GF left last weekend so I haven't been playing now at all, I want to have more positive feelings tied to the game so I'm saving it for later. But I'm happy people who finished it are praising so much.

Regarding the spoilered
After a few in-game days the persona you left in solitary confinement will learn a passive skill. It is most likely to be a skill that protects them from their weakness. There's also a chance for it to be a bad status resistance skill. When you first gain this function they can only learn resist skills, when you get the coop level higher they will learn null skills instead. The higher your coop level of that persona's arcana, the less days it requires to learn the skill.
I see, thank you very much for the info.
I'll wait till I level it a bit more then. It seems very useful, even though it occupies a slot.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm still shocked how few people (4%?) have to bronze trophy for doing 3 baton touches during one fight - if enemies are weak to guns, doing it is such a piece of cake.
I think I got it when trying to save MC's bullets and when I finished the game, this trophy was rarer than the one for finishing the game.

I'm still shocked how few people (4%?) have to bronze trophy for doing 3 baton touches during one fight - if enemies are weak to guns, doing it is such a piece of cake.
I think I got it when trying to save MC's bullets and when I finished the game, this trophy was rarer than the one for finishing the game.
I didn't think of trying that until literally the screen before the last boss. The baton touch buff stacks, and it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the game unless you try it out. I imagine most of the time after you've passed to the third character, all the enemies are already knocked down for you to do an all-out attack, and most people won't cancel to pass to the last party member.

This has to do with something with the story, because I've been at level two Co-op with Sakura and it refuses to let the relationship to deepen. I've helped you with your dang coffee shop at least three times now while holding your persona arcana and it still won't advance. WTF

Dantis

Once again stuck on dungeon 7:
Reached what I thought was the end, and I've just looped back to the starting area. Objective says I still need two letters. Any ideas what to do?

Shouta

Once again stuck on dungeon 7:
Reached what I thought was the end, and I've just looped back to the starting area. Objective says I still need two letters. Any ideas what to do?

You need to
Go back to the side deck and climb up the side of the ship to get one of the Letters. After that, you go through the sewer grate that's right there. You can use the sideroom Safe room to save.

Question about Ryuuji's Co-op bonus...

I hear the bonus is you get a small chance of auto-killing enemies on sneak attacks, but you get NO exp for it? Is there eventually a level where you do start to gain EXP? And, if you don't have him in your party, will the skill be gone too until he returns?

There's no way I'm NOT going to do a party member's SL in my first playthrough, but depending on how often that auto-kill procs, I might leave him for later if I can....

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone working on the plat that figured out how to hit a homerun? Either the timing is really hard on this or I don't quite understand when I have to hit.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

I hear the bonus is you get a small chance of auto-killing enemies on sneak attacks, but you get NO exp for it? Is there eventually a level where you do start to gain EXP? And, if you don't have him in your party, will the skill be gone too until he returns?

There's no way I'm NOT going to do a party member's SL in my first playthrough, but depending on how often that auto-kill procs, I might leave him for later if I can....
Oh, so that was it? I was looking for a co-op skill which made that happen but didn't check that character.

Anyway, if this is the skill that I'm thinking about, here's how it works:
If you do a chance attack and the level difference is big enough, you automatically get one of the personas from the enemy group and no experience. It also felt like this only works for enemy groups with personas you already have - upon entering new dungeons I fought some low level groups normally until I got their masks. When the level difference was big enough in the endgame I started getting all the masks. But yes, it's sometimes a bit annoying for leveling.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong though, because I might be mistaking 2 skills or even a skill and something which is just a feature of the game (since it started happening to me at one point and I wasn't sure why).
Anyone working on the plat that figured out how to hit a homerun? Either the timing is really hard on this or I don't quite understand when I have to hit.
Did you read the book about baseball? I think it might help. Also, I wasn't able to do it on my 2 tries, but once I sent the ball really high and I think I did it by hitting it's lower part (not completely covering the ball with the bat).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Did you read the book about baseball? I think it might help. Also, I wasn't able to do it on my 2 tries, but once I sent the ball really high and I think I did it by hitting it's lower part (not completely covering the ball with the bat).

Oooh ok, yeah read the book but I thought I had to hit the ball when it was exactly at the foreshadowed spot while covering in with the red line.

Edit: Ok just did thanks!

_Ryo_

Does failing the Dungeon Deadlines each have their own ending or are they all the same? Do you get the same ending if you dont complete Madarame's dungeon, as you get when you fail Kamoshida's
?

muteki

Shibuya Central Movie Theater - locked until after dungeon 1? Or night only?

Apparently the movie playing in April is good for Courage but there aren't that many days left and Morgana complains about free time or some such every time I try and go there.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Shibuya Central Movie Theater - locked until after dungeon 1? Or night only?

Apparently the movie playing in April is good for Courage but there aren't that many days left and Morgana complains about free time or some such every time I try and go there.

You have to finish the dungeon first or else you will be locked out of several free time activities at least for the the very first time.

muteki

You have to finish the dungeon first or else you will be locked out of several free time activities at least for the the very first time.
Is this true for every cycle/dungeon or just the first one?

Either way, need to prioritize getting dungeon taken care of. Milling about doing other stuff too much fun.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Is this true for every cycle/dungeon or just the first one?

Either way, need to prioritize getting dungeon taken care of. Milling about doing other stuff too much fun.

I don't believe so after the first one you're free to do as you like. But yeah this time around it's generally not a bad idea just to get the dungeon stuff out of the way right off the bat.
----------
A bit disappointed that you don't unlock difficulty options like in P4G.
Extra hard mode + adjustable money/exp would have been nice.

I don't believe so after the first one you're free to do as you like. But yeah this time around it's generally not a bad idea just to get the dungeon stuff out of the way right off the bat.

There's also no real incentive to hold off on doing it like there is in P3/4, it really emphasizes "no you should probably just do these quickly".

hotsoup

People are blowing this thing out of proportion. Yes you get no exp, money, items for such kills and it works 100% as long as level requirement is met and there is no way to turn it off (yet). It is also fantastic for farming fusion fodder. It is not as serious as they say because:

1. It only works on enemies at least ~8 levels below you
2. Exp from such enemies are already quite low so its not ideal to farm them for levelling anyway
3. You can grind money by holding up enemies (especially those weak to guns since you can knock them down easily) and extort till they get mad and summon backup. You can kill the original and hold up the summoned backup and repeat.
4. Money is no longer an issue once you have Star co-op rank 7 and Fortune co-op rank 3
5. You can sorta self-disable it by NOT sneak attacking enemies

I beat the game last night. It's pretty good. I only had a handful of S. links done so that's something to work harder on with round 2.

You can get items that unlock all major Slink abilities once you have their respective rank 1 unlocked.
About the NG+ bonuses
Futaba was mai waifu at the end of my game, and she gave me a key item on Christmas in addition to her key item on the last day of the game. When I started NG+ there was a tutorial prompt that said that carrying a persona of her arcana would allow me to level up her link faster. Does this mean that I will score points with her by carrying Hermit personas, even if I'm not actively spending time with her?

ah ah ah

After finishing the third dongeon

Yeah yeah .. 30 milions of yens in a golden suitcase..
I didn't believe it for even 1/4 of a second

Ps: The casual clothes for the cast ( when they're not at school ) are great.

Meciu

Glad to see so many great reviews. Now it's even harder to wait for NA/EU release. Also, I have a question. On what day/month does the game ends?

Playing the third dungeon, I'm liking a lot. So far the dungeons have been pretty fun. I'm fusing and getting tons of cool Personae. Character spoilers
Makoto is so badass, I didn't think another character would reach Ann's level of awesomeness
. It really is amazing how much they improved characterization of the main cast. So far all of them are more than great.

Secured the route in dungeon 7. Nice way to end the exploration of that place. Although given what happened before dungeon 7, (story spoiler about a character)
I didn't care what happened to Akechi in the past. I really was like "F U I don't care what you went through, you're an a-hole. Now get yourself defeated by me"

I'm not 100% sure (heavy spoiler following the last spoiler)
he's dead though even if Futaba claimed there was no other response apart from the mob characters. You don't see him die first hand so maybe there's a chance.

artsi

What's the consensus among the players here another Japanese fans so far? as good as P3/4, weaker(but still great) or better?

I haven't finished it yet, but better so far.

Maybe I personally like the P4's "homely" small Japanese town setting more than Tokyo (I'm a small town citizen myself, lol), but in every other way it kicks ass.

ubiblu

Fuck this game. I had three days left to finish dungeon 6, but have to return and it skips ahead 3 days and I Insta-lose. I just lost about 10 hours of Mementos grinding and have to do the palace again.

This has soured my whole experience. I guess I'll abandon everything I worked hard for and drop down to Safety to finish the game. Such bullshit.

Man... that feeling when you accidentally end up in the wrong romantic relationship because you read "自分" with the Kansai meaning instead of the obvious normal meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom