• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just beat the first dungeon.
The song that plays after you send the calling card and go into the dungeon is hype as fuck, god damn.
The soundtrack in general is very, very strong imo. All of it really resonates with me.

A neat little tip regardling negotiation,

Each persona has a predetermined personality, you can view it after you analyze them and it will be shown in the corner of the screen during negotiation.

It's not entirely random on whether they join you or not, you need to look for tells in their dialogue to make the right choice.

Also recommend checking the game manual. They have a chart that tells you which types of answers different personality types like and dislike.

I'm still early so I'm not sure if that chart covers all the personality types, but thus far its worked well in negotiating in the first dungeon. Although figuring out which answer is which is sometimes a little tough.

I'm curious about how quickly everyone is progressing. I'm at 5/2, which is the day when
pervy teacher confesses his crimes
, and my play time is about 12:30. What was your playtime around then if you remember?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm curious about how quickly everyone is progressing. I'm at 5/2, which is the day when
, and my play time is about 12:30. What was your playtime around then if you remember?
Just saved after that scene. 13:23

Mengetsu

I heard there's suppoed to be a glitch to get easy money in the Japanese version of the game. Anyone know how to do it? I could really use some right now.

Joqu

If Maya had showed up to be the moon SL and be a mentor to the team I would have lost my mind

(It's probably for the best that they don't bring back characters though)
Oh it's probably for the best, yeah. Though I totally would've lost my mind too. I was thinking more along the lines of minor background stuff tho, but I've got my guns, nuclear, demons and lots of vibes so I'm good! More than good really.

(That said I wouldn't mind some spin-off love... but then again the spin-off writing hasn't been nearly as good so whatever.)

Also do bring back
Philemon and Nyarly already, come on. I guess I should just be glad the butterfly's still around with no save points :p

Sciel

you first have go to the momento to try to defeat the shadow of the cheater then plots will introduce tower to you
Do i need to identify the shadow first? Cause all thats happened is i've received the quest from Mishima then have no idea how to proceed.

Perineum

Finally able to tackle the first dungeon if I want to. I'm using a good guide I found online to divvy up my time accordingly.

Also, question to those playing on normal. Is normal the same level of difficulty as normal is on Persona 4's normal? Feel like everything hits like a truck, and the first 10,000 currency I have went straight down the drain just to buy some crafting items instead of any heal or new weapons.

I know I can crank down the difficulty if I want, but is Normal actually "hard" mode ?

Renmyra

Probably something similar. I beat the castle around 4/23 with about 10h played.

Linkura

Oh man.... somehow got through to
the treasure room
my first go through the first dungeon. I was pretty much spent. Damn. That was rough. Got 11 hours on the clock but that was idling for over an hour, so I'd say more like 9.5-10 in reality. I forgot to redeem the DLC items too, so I didn't even have those.

suracity

Do i need to identify the shadow first? Cause all thats happened is i've received the quest from Mishima then have no idea how to proceed.

iirc you need to go to the shibuya gaming center. Some people will complain about the cheater and you will get more info. As soon as you have the name of the cheater you can go and try to defeat him.

Xeteh

Finally able to tackle the first dungeon if I want to. I'm using a good guide I found online to divvy up my time accordingly.

Also, question to those playing on normal. Is normal the same level of difficulty as normal is on Persona 4's normal? Feel like everything hits like a truck, and the first 10,000 currency I have went straight down the drain just to buy some crafting items instead of any heal or new weapons.

I know I can crank down the difficulty if I want, but is Normal actually "hard" mode ?

Shadow Yukiko definitely seemed harder to deal with than the first boss in P5 and money seems to come in pretty quickly in my opinion.

Salaadin

Am I going to miss out on some cool stuff and S Link progression by taking more than a day to complete this first dungeon? I'm at the halfway point and had to leave because i ran out of SP. I'm going to assume that I'll run out again before the boss, meaning this will take me 3 days. It's really bothering me as i want to make sure i have time to complete interesting S Links and I feel like I'm already failing at that.

ChrisD

Just came to post something like this. :D

I just beat the first dungeon, I'm on 4/29, and I've played for 11:29.

If the pacing can keep going like it has so far, the story stays intriguing, and the Dungeons are as involved and actually pretty fun to traverse.. The average playtime that's been thrown around suddenly doesn't seem too long!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The money situation is crazy, I am down with only 721 yen in my pocket because of various stuff and the situation is even more dire since now one of the best Confidant in the game, Temperance, requires 5000 yen for every meeting.

Not to mention I will need at least 50k to buy that delicious SP-restoring accessory and I *want* 4 of them at least for the main party members. Blerrghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghgh.

Shouta

Hey what did you guys end up naming your squad? Hopefully not the default. I named them "Heart/Attack"

I'm not kidding. I named my squad this when I played the JP version. I might do it again for my NA challenge play.

NwqsK.jpg

Locke562

I've run into a really bizarre bug. It doesn't matter which option to choose when I negotiate with a demon it always ends up leading to them lending me their power. I'm trying to grind for money right now and it's getting frustrating.

renzolama

Is it a normal thing in the Persona series for the game to provide several dialog options that are all saying exactly the same thing? It feels a bit silly to repeatedly see 3 different dialog options that are all expressing exactly the same idea, what's the point?

Is there any recommendation (without spoilers) as to what level I should be when I tackle / finish the dungeons?

Considering the time sensitive nature of the game, I don't want to end up under-leveled, then unable to complete the game 50+ hours into it.

Chaos17

Stop holding my hand
Stop repeating the conversation we just had by SMS
Let me do something at night when story advance.

silva1991

The money situation is crazy, I am down with only 721 yen in my pocket because of various stuff and the situation is even more dire since now one of the best Confidant in the game, Temperance, requires 5000 yen for every meeting.

Not to mention I will need at least 50k to buy that delicious SP-restoring accessory and I *want* 4 of them at least for the main party members. Blerrghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghgh.

Worst thing when you pay 5k for Temperance and nothing happens lol.

So I'm looking at this guide on how to raise all the stats, is it pretty accurate?

http://twinfinite.net/2017/04/persona-5-how-to-raise-all-social-stats/

Just want to make sure before I start using it aha.

Most of the guides seem to be really vague. Here's the list of stuff that I used which is a bit more specific. There are "location spoilers" but nothing else.

General parameter advice:
Get a plant and care for it at every opportunity (can be done once a week or so) for free kindness points.
Buy a drink from the drink stand in the station underpass every Sunday for an extra social parameter point each week. It's pretty pricey, but takes no time.
Some social links regularly give you social points at each rank, so it's best to avoid maxing one parameter too early, as you'll probably "lose" incidental points there later on. Once you've got a social link available (or temporarily capped) that requires that parameter to be maxed, that's your signal to put more time into that stat.
I focused on courage to rank 3 and then brought everything else up to that level afterwards, somewhat prioritizing kindness and appeal.
I almost never settled for activities that would just get two stat gains. You need to level everything eventually, so I still considered two points of knowledge and one point of courage to be better than two points of courage, even when "focusing" courage.
I spent a ton of time in the family restaurant, especially on rainy days. I only did part time jobs for unlock requirements, it's far better to just go into mementos and extort demons if you need money.

Effective parameter gains:

Courage
Early on ordering coffee at the family restaurant is a great option, as you'll need knowledge for exams too.
There's a DVD you can rent which was called "X Folder" in Japanese (might be different in English) which gives +2 courage twice. There are DVDs for all of them, but I mention this because it's helpful to get your courage to rank 3 early on.
The movie showing in April gives +3 and I think you can watch it a few times.
You can also study in the library, but it will often fail and just ordering coffee at the family restaurant tends to be better, especially when it's raining.
The book about Captain Kidd will give +3 when finished. Don't spend time on this, but do pick it up and read it if you have the chance on the train or something.
Late game the maid cafe is great for finishing off courage while also working on appeal.

Appeal
Appeal is one of the easiest stats to level, so you don't need to prioritize it until you're presented with stat gates.
You'll be getting a lot of it "free" through confidant rank up bonuses (Devil and Sun iirc), exam results, and (I think?) correct answers in class.
The bath house has special baths on Monday and Thursday that give three points of appeal.
The maid cafe (unlocked later) will give two points of appeal and one point of either kindness or courage.
The fruit tea in the family restaurant will level this, but you probably won't want to use that option over the others.

Kindness
As mentioned in the general tips, get a plant and care for it every chance. Lots of free points to be had here, and I didn't actually find out about this until the fall.
The Tower confidant gives +3 with each rank, iirc.
One of the family restaurant options will give +1 kindness. I think it's the "grandma burger" or something.
If you really need to level this up in a hurry, the flower shop job is probably the best method. It gives +2 with a chance of +3.
The maid cafe is also a great late game option, leveling this and appeal together.

Dexterity
You'll get this when you make tools, which you'll need anyway, making that a good option.
The beef bowl job gives +2 with a chance of +3, making it the fastest method to focus this.
The totem pole item at the family restaurant levels this, but it's not available until summer iirc.

Knowledge
Just go to the family restaurant. Especially on rainy days. +2 (3 when rainy) knowledge, and a point of something else.
Studying for midterms/finals will increase knowledge while also giving you a few social points with your party members. I only did that once or twice though, because I was never hurting for knowledge and placed a higher value on the free time.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Worst thing when you pay 5k for Temperance and nothing happens lol.

Even if you carry a Temperance Persona and select the best possible answers in the convo, often, if not always, it will still need one extra meeting before the Temperance level up, grhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Probably the made it this way because it's simply one of the best Confidants to level up, but it's really annoying grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Unlike previous Persona answering correctly in quizzes gives you Knowledge instead of Charm, which is absolutely weird if you think about it logically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom