• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm so glad the first late return on DVD rental gets waived. I was so boned because I left it to the last minute and got stuck on 2 days of story stuff where I couldn't even return the DVDs. LOL.

I've had my fee waived at least three times now. Wonder what triggers it.

AngryMoth

I've been keeping Arsene because he's my original persona and I like his design but he is really lagging behind level wise, should I just fuse him?

Domstercool

I've been keeping Arsene because he's my original persona and I like his design but he is really lagging behind level wise, should I just fuse him?

Yeah, detach any emotion to personas. He won't get any more moves once the last is unlocked underneath his current skills. Get better personas or fuse some. :)

Chaos17

Im starting to get sick of all the cheap deaths in this game. Make one tiny mistake and an enemy self destructs and oneshots the whole team. Like the game is already long enough for them to be wasting your time with that shit.
Agree and it's not getting better (played up to chapter 4)

kadotsu

Banned

Yes. Personas should gain a level, maybe two while you use them. If you earn more you are keeping them for too long. Most of the leveling should come from confidant boosts through fusion.

duckroll

I've had my fee waived at least three times now. Wonder what triggers it.

Maybe it's meta, and that it being a DVD rental store in the year 20XX means that they get no fucking business except from suckers like you, so they can't afford to scare customers away with actual late fees. LOL!

Has anyone actually PAID a late fee?

TheFatMan

Fuck this game. For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, my PS4 shut down completely over night.

I'm looking at somewhere around 8-10 hours of progress lost somehow.

How about incorporating... oh I dunno... a fucking autosave? That said, I thought safe rooms in the palaces did this?

Damn bro how did you go 8 hours in an RPG without saving? I don't think I go more than an hour ever. I know a lot of games have autosaves but it's not super common in JRPGs.

TheFatMan

I actually agree that an autosave would be very useful for the way this game is designed. There's no reason not to have one.

Agreed they should be standard in every game. I've just noticed that Japanese games almost never do, and Im not really sure why that is. They've been getting better about it though, I noticed Tales auto saved a boat load.

Domstercool

I actually agree that an autosave would be very useful for the way this game is designed. There's no reason not to have one.

As long as it is a separate save file and you can still do multiple manual save files There's plenty of things that could go wrong otherwise. Want to go back and change some options, maybe plan your month differently? The game instant game overs if you failed to meet a deadline.

mike6467

Damn bro how did you go 8 hours in an RPG without saving? I don't think I go more than an hour ever. I know a lot of games have autosaves but it's not super common in JRPGs.

Yeah, neither Yakuza or Nier autosave. I don't think it's something you can take for granted. Especially in games where manual saving is seen as an advantage.

Also, bumping this since it's been a few pages:

So, I'm just starting the 3rd dungeon, but I have a question regarding the rest of the game (the question has spoilers from like the first 30 minutes of the game, the answer will have pretty major spoilers though).

Do you ever get out of the interview with Sae? In other words does the whole game take place in flashbacks during this interrogation, or does the story resolve that and take you into into present day?

Maybe it's meta, and that it being a DVD rental store in the year 20XX means that they get no fucking business except from suckers like you, so they can't afford to scare customers away with actual late fees. LOL!

I'm pretty sure if a rental period overlaps into a week of story exposition, they'll waive the fee. They waived it for me around 5 times. Only had to pay once, but I think that one time was due to negligence, not the story.

PK Gaming

Ditch him for now, but there may be a way to get him caught up down the line.

You can eventually unlock the ability to sacrifice Personas in order to boost a single Persona's level. You can only do it once a day, but it's waaaay more efficient than just grinding him. You can hook him up with Skill Cards to increase his versatility as well.

duckroll

As long as it is a separate save file and you can still do multiple manual save files There's plenty of things that could go wrong otherwise. Want to go back and change some options, maybe plan your month differently? The game instant game overs if you failed to meet a deadline.

Are you unfamiliar with how pretty much every single autosave system in the world works these days? I mean, I don't think when anyone says "an autosave feature would be great" they mean "I want an autosave feature that removes manual saves and only has a single save slot", because we're not in 1999.

I'm pretty sure if a rental period overlaps into a week of story exposition, they'll waive the fee. They waived it for me around 5 times. Only had to pay once, but I think that one time was due to negligence, not the story.

Ooooooooooh. That's really interesting. The invisible flags for stuff like that in Persona games always fascinate me. Like, it's great that they put in a system like that out of consideration of players getting late on their rentals because of story events, but it's even cooler that they make it completely invisible to the player and not an obvious failsafe system.

Domstercool

Are you unfamiliar with how pretty much every single autosave system in the world works these days? I mean, I don't think when anyone says "an autosave feature would be great" they mean "I want an autosave feature that removes manual saves and only has a single save slot", because we're not in 1999.

Shooters have a single save file.....

Still, I never understood how someone wouldn't save in a new location on the map. A lovely shiny new icon appears. it's like a treasure in itself.

Damn, those
Oni
in the third palace really have no weakness? That's some BS.
Nope, but
they are susceptible to status ailments like charm and sleep. You can then hit them with a Psi spell for massive damage. Makes them really easy to take out.

Not really a spoiler (strategy related) but figured I'd be safe.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nope, but
they are susceptible to status ailments like charm and sleep. You can then hit them with a Psi spell for massive damage. Makes them really easy to take out.

Not really a spoiler (strategy related) but figured I'd be safe.
Yeah I did get one with
brainwash into Psi
so I guess they aren't super awful. Still a pain. And probably hard to get the mask for.

Pachimari

Are there any other useful and nice tips other than these?

Name: Akira Kurusu

Sell all treasure to the Airsoft Shop (yellow sell tab)

In my opinion, to alleviate the money problem somewhat it's a good idea to just stick to the four you are maining with the MC filling in the role of whatever your group is lacking.

Use the demon conversation options to extort money from them. Level up the social link that improves persuasion (you won't get access to it for a little bit in game, don't remember when). If you don't extort money, you'll never have enough. If you use it liberally, you'll be swimming in it by the end of the third dungeon.

You can get weapons and protectors from chests in dungeons, but they're kind of rare.

Pulinpa = Confuse
Get it from the persona Mandrake in Palace 1

Beat Palace 1 mini-boss Memento with Pulinpa to get increased currency.

Luck increases item amount rewards

Beat Palace 1 boss at lvl 11

Sell soma for 50.000 yen

- Press square to auto-heal (lol)
- Normal difficulty provides a fair amount of challenge
- SP is the main limitation during the first dungeon, so try not to abuse SP-dependent skills (normal melee attacks deal a nice amount of damage)
- Extorting enemies for money or items is the fastest way to finish battles against tough enemies (you won't earn much experience though)
- Focus on getting one Persona of each element early on
- You can safely sell all the items marked as "treasure" for tons of money
- Use guns against flying enemies

kadotsu

Banned

The best tip I can give is that the [early confidant spoiler]
Death confidant doctor
sells Accessories that are incredibly helpful if you are SP starved.

Drink Juice every sunday for a free tick on your skill star.

Only do non confidant activities on the day they have a boost.

Take care of your plant.

Only go to mementos if you have at least 2 requests.

Only leave a palace if you have no SP left. Do some money runs if you still have SP. This is especially true in mementos where you can just reroll the floor before a save floor. Even loot will reset.

You can quickly switch your team between battles over the status menu by pressing square.

nOoblet16

If you guys are having money issues then just go to Mementos there is PLENTY of loot there and enemies drop a lot of money. You also get a good amount of XP there. Though I'd suggest you stock up on requests before you go so that you can take out multiple bosses from one trip for even more money.

I've only been to Mementos once out of my own choice and I made 150,000 from that run due to 5-6 boss fights and treasures.

Im starting to get sick of all the cheap deaths in this game. Make one tiny mistake and an enemy self destructs and oneshots the whole team. Like the game is already long enough for them to be wasting your time with that shit.
How far are you in?
I was getting OHKO a lot until I realised I was still using shitty armour, not using buffs/debuffs and not taking advantage of my Persona's resistance

Yeah I did get one with
brainwash into Psi
so I guess they aren't super awful. Still a pain. And probably hard to get the mask for.
Phys skills can crit and knock down, that's how I got one. Rampage and other multi-hit skills still do pretty decent damage even if they resist it honestly. I did that till I tried the other strat lol
For the first boss:
get the Slime persona. It resists phys attacks and you can easily beat it at level 10 with it (normal mode).

Oh yes, though it was less than I feared. I mean, it was 11 days (thanks Mona!) late and it was only like 3300yen? Getting your dirty loot washed is more expensive than that!*

Also, I'm in a kind of love-hate relationship with the difficulty on Hard. The -kaja and -unda spells feel very much mandatory after the very beginning, which I like somewhat. But on the other hand, I've had few really tough and "unfair" fights, separately mostly but not always. Another thing is status effects, sleep/fear/burn etc and how those can be comboed. Again, a large portion of skills that atleast I could more or less ignore in 3 and 4 are actually useful and not just to be ignored straight away.

Speaking of a tough fights, Third Palace final boss:
The damn pig robot, the rolling attack does some 270-280 when guarding without Tarunda or Rakukaja, OHKO'ing the party. Had pretty much the closest possible victory though. When starts farting fear gas in the end, whole party feared twice in a row because I got too greedy and didn't keep Sukunda up, survived the first roll though. Joker kills him literally just before his second roll (he is spinning fast) would have killed <50% health Joker and Mona.

Seiryoden

4th (July/August) Palace design minor spoilers:
Video games have conditioned me to expect a giant boulder when I see a long flight of stairs or ramp. Expectations met.

Hold Triangle to fast forward through the end of battle results screen instead of having to press X three times.

If the character doesn't have an a ability to target enemy weakness then pressing R1 will highlight another party member who does if Baton Pass is available.

You can make lockpicks/tools the night before grabbing the Palace Treasure even though you are "tired."

duckroll

I have one dirty loot, but I keep putting it off because you can wash four at once. Am I ever going to get four, and is it worth waiting, or should I just lose a day washing that one loot?

mike6467

Well, I just started the Temperance S link (turns out Mishima had moved to
Shinjuku
once it opened up.)

I love that
you just bring a maid up to your room. I really wish they'd showed an interaction with Sojiro, would've had the potential for greatness.

nOoblet16

Hold Triangle to fast forward through the end of battle results screen instead of having to press X three times.

If the character doesn't have an a ability to target enemy weakness then pressing R1 will highlight another party member who does if Baton Pass is available.

You can make lockpicks/tools the night before going after the Palace Treasure even though you are "tired."
How? You can't even get to your room as the stupid cat asks you to go to sleep as soon as you get to the stairs.

How? You can't even get to your room as the stupid cat asks you to go to sleep as soon as you get to the stairs.

The night you drop the calling card you should be able to go into your room. Click on the desk and Morgana will say something to the effect of "Making infiltration tools for the heist tomorrow? Good idea!"

Domstercool

I have one dirty loot, but I keep putting it off because you can wash four at once. Am I ever going to get four, and is it worth waiting, or should I just lose a day washing that one loot?

You'll get more from chests in dungeons and mementos. I actually found out late in the game how to clean clothes, so I had a few to do. >.<

Have you been in once already when first discovered? If so, then you'll get more missions over time from confidant links and characters. You can do them all in one go if you like. I've done 8 at once.
You seem to get more as time goes by. Some have objectives you need to complete first, others come from other sources
like confidants
. I have about 10 right now. Just waiting for a rainy day.
I've only been there once and that was part of the story [early May spoilers]
where you have to find and beat some stalker, which then lead to Madarame
. Haven't gone back ever since.

But judging by what you are saying I need to focus on confidants and main story for now to unlock more of them over time. Though, there is something weird that I don't know if it's tied to Mementos or not. [ early confidant spoilers]
I can't start the Mishima confidant. He keeps asking me to take of the guy that he mentioned but I'm not sure if he is talking about the bully or Madarame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom