• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadotsu

Banned
Combat is pretty much the same as in P3 and P4 though.

Playing on Hard I would say that the combat is straight up better. The bosses are back to form after P4. Negotiation is more fun than the roulette. Non party social links finally have an impact in the battle system. The balance of weaknesses, status and crits in way better.

The only thing that is disappointing is that Atlus cheaped out on shadow models. I hope the re-release fixes that and we get more varied mobs with a mix of shadows and personas.

Is there any reason to hang out with folks once they are max rank on Confidants? I figure it might be bad if I don't hang out with my in-game girlfriend every so often so I wanted to be sure.

Anyone else feel a difficulty spike in Palace 3? Maybe I'm just underleveled.

About 28 hours in and just hit the first safe room.

The intro of Third Palace was quite brutal, just be ready to see those weakness-free assholes again later. After the intro it didn't feel that bad until the very end, few dodgy safe room placements not withstanding. Everything hits like a train anyways on hard, so I didn't notice a huge difference.

Playing on Hard I would say that the combat is straight up better. The bosses are back to form after P4. Negotiation is more fun than the roulette. Non party social links finally have an impact in the battle system. The balance of weaknesses, status and crits in way better.

The only thing that is disappointing is that Atlus cheaped out on shadow models. I hope the re-release fixes that and we get more varied mobs with a mix of shadows and personas.

I actually like fighting the actual personas/demons. Running into a enemy first time that you have already fused, meaning that you know what you are against is neat change for once. It also reminds me of DDS games.

MSMrRound

Is there any reason to hang out with folks once they are max rank on Confidants? I figure it might be bad if I don't hang out with my in-game girlfriend every so often so I wanted to be sure.

Max their ranks, ditch them now that they don't have anything else going for you. That's the Persona way of playing.

cheesekao

You won't get anything out of them but you can always save scum if you want to view their events.

Silvard

I didn't start feeling this way until around when the cast met and started interacting with (co-op/companion spoiler at around September):
Haru. His treatment of Morgana was some annoying ass shit.

Oh boy, that's when I realized I needed that "Fuck off, Ryuji" option. I really wanted to tell that asshole how
Morgana is easily worth a thousand of you, you piece of shit
. He literally could drop dead forever and the team would be no worse off.

Roussow

While I'm enjoying the game greatly, one characters treatment in particular has started to seriously frustrate me.
Just going into the fourth palace now, and a second subsequent animated cutscene has shown our male protagonists just openly ogling Ann, ya know, sexual harassment victim Ann. It's so fucking tone deaf it's killing me, it's not just two off cutscenes either. Like the stuff about potentially pursuing her as a romantic interest seems fine and all (theoretically, we'll see when I get further in) but some of this real horny shit is kinda gross given the context, I don't like her sexualisation being treated as a punchline.

aravuus

Hell yeah, I'm not playing on hard, but it's by far the most fun I've had with a Persona battle system. No offense to the poster, but the combat going for a flashier approach (which, I assume, implies less depth) sounds like nonsensical and baseless criticism to me.

Opa-Pa

Oh wow lol. We should make a poll to find out who players hate more, Ryuji or Morgana.

While I'm enjoying the game greatly, one characters treatment in particular has started to seriously frustrate me.
Just going into the fourth palace now, and a second subsequent animated cutscene has shown our male protagonists just openly ogling Ann, ya know, sexual harassment victim Ann. It's so fucking tone deaf it's killing me, it's not just two off cutscenes either. Like the stuff about potentially pursuing her as a romantic interest seems fine and all (theoretically, we'll see when I get further in) but some of this real horny shit is kinda gross given the context, I don't like her sexualisation being treated as a punchline.

Don't sweat it my guy, that's just regular teenager behavior.

... Yeah it's terrible. I hate how the game backpedals on all its messages regarding women to fill that anime cringe quota. Make up your mind already.

ChrisD

Got my first wipe today, a random monster decided to crit Ann and then followed up by critting the MC. Game over, hehe. Pretty slow progress in general, still on the first palace, right at the end of it i reckon. The dungeon layout and presence of puzzles makes the crawling an improved experience. The red aesthetic makes me think of P2, hehe.

I wish Crits just couldn't happen on the first turn/until your MC can move. They're totally random, so it's not like you can really plan anything.

Alternatively, just don't Game Over the player if MC dies. Then I don't give a care what enemies can do on T1.

Hoo-doo

Banned
At least you can sorta mock Ryuji with some of the dialog choices.

Morgana doesn't bother me at all. I basically just expect to be railroaded straight to bed whenever shit is planned the next day. It's silly, but there's tons of extra time to do shit anyway so I don't mind.

Mumei

How often am I supposed to go to the [not even sure if this activity is a spoiler but]
convenience store job
?

FluxWaveZ

Oh wow lol. We should make a poll to find out who players hate more, Ryuji or Morgana.

If the only reason people hate Morgana is because he has taken the role of the mechanic restrictions regarding what you can do at a given time, I think it's a very weak reason.

Hoo-doo

Banned
How often am I supposed to go to the [not even sure if this activity is a spoiler but]
convenience store job
?

Whenever you damn well please.

If the only reason people hate Morgana is because he has taken the role of the mechanic restrictions regarding what you can do at a given time, I think it's a very weak reason.

This. The game could have just put a soulless prompt there, or a thought bubble from the protagonist. They decided on Morgana though, which I think is kinda adorable.

Hell yeah, I'm not playing on hard, but it's by far the most fun I've had with a Persona battle system. No offense to the poster, but the combat going for a flashier approach (which, I assume, implies less depth) sounds like nonsensical and baseless criticism to me.

How can someone say that it has less depth when it has more of everything? More status effects that are actually worth using, new damage types and how those combo with stuff. It is not missing anything that I have noticed and has a lot more added to it.

- edit -
Is there a reliable way to kill treasure demons besides cheesing it with Morgana's Lucky Punch? Or just lucking out with crits in general?

Chaos17

It made me cringe but I also like how she got back at them (I like seeing her show her inner strength) but yes, that was an useless scene.

I wonder if the devs did that because the boys in P4 were to... 'innocent' ?

Silvard

Yeah, the game still does the fan service thing, and as far as I've seen it's a bit disappointing in other social aspects (homosexuality as a joke), but I didn't expect any better. Which is sad in and of itself.

That said, Ryuji is (surprise surprise) the main offender in those scenes as well, Joker and Yusuke are at least trying to play it cool. It doesn't get any better from there either, I'm sorry to say. What a fucking dick Ryuji is.

gun_haver

5/23 spoilers/2nd target:

man madarame's whole deal is seriously just that he took credit for some kid's paintings. i mean sure kamoshida was a serial rapist of teenagers and beat the shit out of the team he coached too, but plagiarism? wow. shocking.

i hate this section.

LotusHD

Banned

man madarame's whole deal is seriously just that he took credit for some kid's paintings. i mean sure kamoshida was a serial rapist of teenagers and beat the shit out of the team he coached too, but plagiarism? wow. shocking.

i hate this section.

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

i hate this section.

Play more.

i hate this section.

You need to go deeper.

During the summer break everybody wants to fucking hang out with me. Is it worth it to hang out with them or should I prioritize actual social links?

Lusankya

i hate this section.

Uh, that's not the whole deal. How about you keep on playing and learn everything?

SenkiDala

Am I the only one bothered as hell by this damn Morgana who asks me almost EVERY evening to "go to sleep because tomorrow there's whatever random thing happening"?! I can't train, watch DVDs, or do any activity at evening because this asshole!

Lusankya

Oh boy, that's when I realized I needed that "Fuck off, Ryuji" option. I really wanted to tell that asshole how
Morgana is easily worth a thousand of you, you piece of shit
. He literally could drop dead forever and the team would be no worse off.

Eh, I actually liked how Ryuji talked back to Morgana. The cat could be a real smartass.

FluxWaveZ

Okay 6th palace
WHERE IS THE RED TERMINAL? I swear to God I've been looking for an hour. Can anybody help me?

Exactly at the entrance of your location.
Futaba says so in the little story scene where she explains where the 2 terminals must be. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a place where you can look back on that conversation.

LotusHD

Banned
Am I the only one bothered as hell by this damn Morgana who asks me almost EVERY evening to "go to sleep because tomorrow there's whatever random thing happening"?! I can't train, watch DVDs, or do any activity at evening because this asshole!

Just go with it

Socivol

i hate this section.

Keep playing, it gets MUCH worse. When I did that boss battle and the truth came out I was like WTF. It's even worse than the first boss.

Hoo-doo

Banned

We had entire pages of discussion about this very topic.

Persona has always restricted certain activities at certain dates. Just now it's the cute face of Morgana that's associated with this restriction and people seem to dislike that.

In Persona 4 it was always the MC who thought to himself, 'I'm tired, I better go straight to bed'.

Probably about to do average on this exam because knowledge takes forever. I regret pursuing it I've neglected charm and kindness because of it

I know, right, and getting most of your essay questions right (I like that they've made it into an essay sort of thing now) doesn't seem to make up for it. Still got bottom in the first test :(

Roussow

I kind of wish they got more into discussing the ramifications of
plagiarism
(second target spoilers). The whole story kinda spirals out into its own much more broad thing towards the end -- which is probably better for some key characters at the end of the day, but still.

it's somewhere
i can feel it
i can see it
focus
i have something
hmm

For Real!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom