• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think there were maybe 5 save rooms? Much less than the 1st and 2nd palace. I remember two large areas not even having a save room.

I found two in the entire thing. It didn't feel very fair TBH. It needed way more. My least favorite palace by a wide margin.

Vice

I'm curious about physical abilties. Does anybody use them? I find the HP cost to be a little too punishing. Some abilities are costing me almost 1/5 of my HP...which is just pointless.
Constantly, once I got the area of effect ones I use them in random battles all the time. I don't mind the cost, a couple so for a dia after battle isn't too bad.

So I beat the second palace last night and got to the point where the gang goes
on the Social Sciences trip
and caught something thats pretty fucking suspicious.
When everyone is out in the hallway Morgana talks about a building that looks like pancakes, and then that kid with the briefcase comes over to chat and says that he thought he heard someone talking about pancakes. This guy HAS to be the dude in the black mask that Shadow Madarame was talking about.

mike6467

Am I the only one enjoying my time in mementos more than the palaces? U get constant feeling of progress and theres treasure everywhere. The 3 palaces Ive done so far all dragged after 2/3rds. Suprised about the positive imprrssions of palaces. serviceable at best for me.

I just went into them for the first time and they're really a game changer. Not sure I like them better then the palaces, since the palaces have more story involved, but for pure satisfaction (levelling, combat etc) I think the mementos are a great touch. They really add a lot.

I'm really enjoying the banter between the party. My one complaint is it cuts off if anything happens (go into a menu/get into battle/open a door). I'm paranoid to stop and listen to it because apparently if you spend too long in there a ridiculous shadow appears?

How long is too long?

Hikami

Temperance rank 10 spoilers

First maxed out confidant. I was actually hoping you'd tell her you were a phantom thief. I love when people learn a masked superhero's identity. She found out on her own though, good enough for me. Wouldn't mind that also happening for the other confidants.

That skill though, good stuff. Should've maxed her out sooner. Had to wait through summer break to go from 9 to 10.

I'm curious about physical abilties. Does anybody use them? I find the HP cost to be a little too punishing. Some abilities are costing me almost 1/5 of my HP...which is just pointless.
They're really strong so I use them mainly. I keep an AoE healer with an SP regen accessory on so it HP isn't a concern.

nOoblet16

Man this 5th dungeon music is so shit.

But the start was hilarious !
Tense music, tense atmosphere and then awkwardness ensues.

Yusuke says what players are thinking at this point "Any tension that was in the air is gone now". Got a good chuckle out of me because of his delivery>

You know the game doesn't force you to go to the end of a dungeon one the first try right? The game makes no mention of how long it takes to complete the dungeon.

It's very well possible to do the dungeon in bits, start it early and try to do the final bit near the end.

Only to find out sending the calling card takes an entire damn day and results in a game over.

Let's not excuse horse shit game design because you didn't find it to be an issue. It's absolutely garbage design in a game riddled with tutorials.

just no. every time you have a meeting in a safe room, mona tells you how much of the dungeon is left. if you're halfway, & he tells you that, you should then know how much is left. it's not complicated...

now, afa the calling card part, okay, that's pretty fucked up, & i see on gamefaqs a few people got screwed by this. so, okay, if you were cutting it as close as possible finishing the dungeon, for whatever reason, & suddenly/unexpectedly get 'calling card', i agree that that's definitely messed up...

Rien

Jelly Belly
I found the treasure room one day after the deadline. Does that matter?
Bumped the diff to essy. Never done that before, feel
like a noob.

Dresden

Is there an auto-tarukaja ability before level 30? I have Defense Master on a demon and it looks like Speed Master can be acquired pretty early on too. Thinking about fusing a physical persona with Swift Strike/Apt Pupil/Speed Master/Defense Master for just running through the palace.

Merkunt

First maxed out confidant. I was actually hoping you'd tell her you were a phantom thief. I love when people learn a masked superhero's identity. She found out on her own though, good enough for me. Wouldn't mind that also happening for the other confidants.

That skill though, good stuff. Should've maxed her out sooner. Had to wait through summer break to go from 9 to 10.

Sun spoilers

Sun also finds out

nOoblet16

Just have to send the calling card for the third dungeon.

Slight nitpick about that palace:

I thought the part with the pin numbers was a bit over-done. The whole 4th pin/lock part could have been cut. Just felt it was unnecessary
Yea I felt like that part should have been cut as well.
I missed the second save room in that Palace, and died from mobs who inflict Rage/dude with no weaknesses. Went from level 25 right back to level 20. Wasn't angry. Just got SMT'd and I felt glad to know that I had to stay serious the whole way through. But replaying the whole thing twice?

Yeah, it goes on for way too long. WAY too long. One area too many.

They are obviously designed to be explored over multiple days. They are VERY long. I know I'm making things harder on myself by doing them in one day. But that's on me. I still love how big and meaty the Palaces are. They didn't skimp on them.
I felt like this as well but that dungeon has a lot of shortcuts...unlike others. Still a bit of a weak design there though.

just no. every time you have a meeting in a safe room, mona tells you how much of the dungeon is left. if you're halfway, & he tells you that, you should then know how much is left. it's not complicated...

now, afa the calling card part, okay, that's pretty fucked up, & i see on gamefaqs a few people got screwed by this. so, okay, if you were cutting it as close as possible finishing the dungeon, for whatever reason, & suddenly/unexpectedly get 'calling card', i agree that that's definitely messed up...

Like... that's the entire point of the complaint. The calling card. Having the game tell you you are close to the end of the dungeon only for a mandatory day skip that screws you over is precisely the problem.

You leave it near the end because the game is telling you one thing ("you're close, you're close") and then it does another.

nOoblet16

Sun spoilers

Sun also finds out
I think it's the same for all if you hit rank 10.

Jiraiza

Absolutely shameful, Ryuji.

dB9Dmnm.jpg

nOoblet16

I found the treasure room one day after the deadline. Does that matter?
Bumped the diff to essy. Never done that before, feel
like a noob.
The game didn't end or ask you to go back a week ? I thought the point of deadline was that if you don't meet it it's game over.

Jumping in on this calling card discussion:
I never cut it close. Just get the palace done in as few of days and as soon as possible. Save the social shit for afterwards. Leveling your social stats and confidants wont make that much a difference in a last minute pinch.

This game is a masterpiece. It's a huge step up from 4 Golden, and that was already pretty great in itself.

It's nice to have a reminder of how fun and satisfying turn-based combat can be. 5 is turn-based perfection.

kagamin

This game is a masterpiece. It's a huge step up from 4 Golden, and that was already pretty great in itself.

It's nice to have a reminder of how fun and satisfying turn-based combat can be. 5 is turn-based perfection.

I prefer press turn, but this isn't bad at all, definitely up there in terms of Persona gameplay and sits comfortably as far as SMT goes.

RPGCrazied

Dungeon 3 finished. 32 hours. Loving this game! The game got harder, specially in dungeon 3 at the end there, lot of cheap deaths.

leaf_

Just finished the first palace and I'm in love with this game holy shit just amazing.

Playing on merciless really nice challenge.

Ydelnae

Early third dungeon spoilers

When they were discussing what Makoto's nickname should be and she passes "Rider" down I though girl wtf, that name is awesome.

And then she decides on the Queen codename and I was like YES!

Sooooo..... I just started the third dungeon and
Makoto had her Persona reveal. I thought I was going to court the doctor, but this changed everything. Her persona is far and away the best design/concept in the series. And I already dig her background and such. Plus the Mad Max vibe? Fuckkkkkk. Eat your heart out Snow from FF13

Seriously, this has me so hyped

Zolo

I need to just wait until I decide to watch a dvd to rent it since it feels like I'm just returning them without watching one at this point.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I went to the palace "for realsies" on the same day they told me to, with many days left on the deadline. Was that a mistake?

Seeing that it opened up
persona fusing and dungeon fast travel
I think it was the best thing to do but im afraid I should have worked on social links or whatever first :/

Chaos17

You didn't played Etrian Odyssey series did you ? Turn based is so much more refined in that series than in Persona. (Made by atlus too)
Also this Persons didn't take any risk in its mechanics. Tokyo mirage is breath of fresh air with same core but different system (made by Atlus too)
So no Persona 5 is not close to turn based perfection compared to the other games that Atlus made.

Soma

She hasn't even joined the group yet but I already love Makoto

(6/2)
The lack of tact she has when following you around town is adorable

silva1991

Finally after an hour of grinding I unlocked debilitate for my Trumpeter

Next boss is gonna cry.

So how does the Slack Off ability work? I haven't noticed any effects since got it.

you will be able to read books or make tools in her class.

You didn't played Etrian Odyssey series did you ? Turn based is so much more refined in that series than in Persona. (Made by atlus too)
Also this Persons didn't take any risk in its mechanics. Tokyo mirage is breath of fresh air with same core but different system (made by Atlus too)
So no Persona 5 is not close to turn based perfection compared to the other games that Atlus made.

I much prefer the combat here to TMS. That games abuses one of the mechanics to make monsters and bosses have massive HP and it just drags the fights.

I went to the palace "for realsies" on the same day they told me to, with many days left on the deadline. Was that a mistake?

Seeing that it opened up
I think it was the best thing to do but im afraid I should have worked on social links or whatever first :/

Nope, you're good. I got about halfway through (there's a conversation where you'll be told "You're halfway through") my first time, and then spent some time on daily tasks, buying better equipment, then returned to complete it. Also, you'll need to collect some monsters to put your social links to use through fusions, so just leave when you have a full roster of demons and start fusing when you come back.

MKIL65

Welp, I've aquired a Pale Rider with Megidola + Almighty amp + Attack Master.

Now I just have to fuse it and transfer those skills onto a higher tier Persona.

Seeing that it opened up

Nah, you're good.
I usually try and blaze through palaces in a few days and then I get a few weeks for social link and stat management.

I think you're just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom