• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

So I've completed Persona 5 at about 82 or so hours.

I do have a few story complaints in certain arcs but overall the game was fantastic, an easy GOTY contender.

The music was fantastic, the party members and characters were all great. The confidant system was much better and a great evolution of the social link system.

The dungeon design was fantastic and probably my favourite dungeons in a long time. Easily some of the best dungeons I've been through.

Only bad thing is I never did all Social Links (I did max a few of them though such as temperance, death and hierophant) but that's what new game plus is for. Though I will need a break before I do a new game plus.

Overall though, a great game and great use of my 'time' :D

[early velvet room spoilers]
So I tried to fuse two Persona together to make a Jack Frost as per the request of Caroline & Justine. However, mid-fuse, they took a chainsaw to the guillotines, and I ended up with a Pixie instead. Is there anything that causes this to happen, or is it random? Was a bit bummed out that I had to spend money to buy the Persona back to re-attempt the fuse.
It's random so make sure you save before you enter because you can lose a lot of shit when it happens

nOoblet16

Akechi
is so cool in battle, his white costume and lightsaber are amazing

The story is coming full circle and I'm totally engrossed in it right now. I can't WAIT to go beyond the prologue flash forward.

Dungeon rankings so far:

1 = 6 > 4 = 5 > 2 >> 3

3 isn't "bad" or anything, it's just not nearly as engrossing as the others. The group member that joins you during that time is also not woven into that particular chapter as tightly as the others. I don't mean to lower anyone's expectations, as it's still a great dungeon with a fairly interesting story, but it's definitely the least impactful one so far.
Actually 3 is my 2nd favourite so far after 4. Dungeon 3 also had superb soundtrack even when compared to others, plus you get an amazing member.
And Kaneshiro actually seems evil unlike number Madurame
.And I actually dislike the first dungeon the most because of its boring aesthetics, less remarkable music and the simple fact that it felt way too long. It did have the best villain so far though.

drac96

Not for me they exaggerated too much with: restricted beginning, bad pacing and even with these they're able to make some part if the story cringe worthy.
It's a good game but not s good Persona and if I didn't new the series I would've dropped this game.

I've seen this sentiment a lot and I could not disagree more. My memories of the beginning of 4 are that absolutely nothing happens for a very long time. Granted that was like ten years ago, so I can't say for certain.

To me it feels like 5 gets going much faster.

Jiraiza

6/20:

Man, I can't believe a group of high schoolers just waltzed into mafia territory. 3 million yet? Ezpz, that's only like a couple days worth of Shadows grinding!

Would anyone be able to answer whether clearing the final palace causes the game to skip to Christmas eve like Persona 4 did. Wondering because I'd love to lay out a plan as to when to run through the final palace.
On the 5th dungeon currently but I want to know for the sure the latest to ensure the most can be done with the time left.

pbayne

9/15
Someone save me
this is too stupid. Mona insecurity shouldn't have turned into cringe momemt

on this bit atm too. I agree this arc does feel a bit off/weird. Awesome dungeon though.
Haru kind of gets the shaft. She doesn't get a lot of build compared to everyone else.

graywolf323

How can he need therapy WHEN HE'S ONE OF THE PHANTOM THIEVES?!

I swear he's responsible for
at least half of the problems the group faces
(I'm up to the 4th dungeon)

Edit: I don't really think this is a spoiler but I'm marking it just in case

Chaos17

on this bit atm too. I agree this arc does feel a bit off/weird. Awesome dungeon though.
Haru kind of gets the shaft. She doesn't get a lot of build compared to everyone else.
I didn't began the dungeon yet because I had enough after the long reading session.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
6/2

oh lawd Becky !
This game keeps getting better and better ...

a small grievance, minor game play spoiler I guess.

I hate Ryuji's insta kill ability for shadow ambush, it's robbing me of a lot of exp points. I'm being forced to tackle fights head on now which results in enemies getting turns first and absolutely sucks if one of them gets Mudo to hit.
Is there any way around it besides
not having Ryuji in the party ?

Hystzen

That "come at me bro" sound bite lol

Just starting the plot for palace 2 and this game is incredible im enjoying it more then P3 and starting surpass P4.

Knowledge never seeming to rise is annoying makes me wonder if its worth studying sometimes

FluxWaveZ

a small grievance, minor game play spoiler I guess.

I hate Ryuji's insta kill ability for shadow ambush, it's robbing me of a lot of exp points. I'm being forced to tackle fights head on now which results in enemies getting turns first and absolutely sucks if one of them gets Mudo to hit.
Is there any way around it besides
not having Ryuji in the party ?

Ryuji Confidant ability:
It should be happening only for weak Shadows you face in Mementos, or really weak ones you encounter elsewhere. I don't think you're meant to be grinding with those Shadows, so it's basically a quality-of-life ability to ease navigation. He'll do it, even if he's not part of the active party.

Good luck trying to finish the first dungeon if you start on the last day or the second last day. My friend just lost a shit ton of progress because the game makes absolutely no mention how long the dungeon actually takes to complete.

What horse shit design.

good luck on your friend not paying attention? your friend chose to start a dungeon, whose length was unknown to him, a day or 2 before the deadline. if he'd gone in the dungeon even once before then, made it to a safe room, & had a meeting, it would've been made clear to him how close or far away he was from the end. how is it possibly a design flaw that your friend simply chose to put off completing an entire dungeon, who's size he didn't know, to the second-to-last/last day? :) ...

Anoxida

Am I the only one enjoying my time in mementos more than the palaces? U get constant feeling of progress and theres treasure everywhere. The 3 palaces Ive done so far all dragged after 2/3rds. Suprised about the positive imprrssions of palaces. serviceable at best for me.

Am I the only one enjoying my time in mementos more than the palaces? U get constant feeling of progress and theres treasure everywhere. The 3 palaces Ive done so far all dragged after 2/3rds. Suprised about the positive imprrssions of palaces. serviceable at best for me.

I think people are just tired of the random generated dungeons. Mementos is pretty fun though.

Dresden

started fourth dungeon, still using Shiki Ouji most of the time, definitely gonna need to replace him soon

accuracy issues are getting worse with swift strike, gonna need to see if I can get auto-sukukaja somewhere

difficulty has settled to a pretty enjoyable level, still think the second half of the Castle on hard is utter bullshit

I'm curious about physical abilties. Does anybody use them? I find the HP cost to be a little too punishing. Some abilities are costing me almost 1/5 of my HP...which is just pointless.

Kyrios

Just have to send the calling card for the third dungeon.

Slight nitpick about that palace:

I thought the part with the pin numbers was a bit over-done. The whole 4th pin/lock part could have been cut. Just felt it was unnecessary

good luck on your friend not paying attention? your friend chose to start a dungeon, whose length was unknown to him, a day or 2 before the deadline. if he'd gone in the dungeon even once before then, made it to a safe room, & had a meeting, it would've been made clear to him how close or far away he was from the end. how is it possibly a design flaw that your friend simply chose to put off completing an entire dungeon, who's size he didn't know, to the second-to-last/last day? :) ...

You know the game doesn't force you to go to the end of a dungeon on the first try right? The game makes no mention of how long it takes to complete the dungeon.

It's very well possible to do the dungeon in bits, start it early in the month and try to do the final bit near the end with no foreknowledge of mandatory stopping points.

Only to find out sending the calling card takes an entire damn day and results in a game over.

Let's not excuse horse shit game design because you didn't find it to be an issue. It's absolutely garbage design in a game riddled with tutorials.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm curious about physical abilties. Does anybody use them? I find the HP cost to be a little too punishing. Some abilities are costing me almost 1/5 of my HP...which is just pointless.
I have used them a bit in boss battles, since I normally have someone doing an AoE heal anyway.

Xeteh

started fourth dungeon, still using Shiki Ouji most of the time, definitely gonna need to replace him soon

accuracy issues are getting worse with swift strike, gonna need to see if I can get auto-sukukaja somewhere

difficulty has settled to a pretty enjoyable level, still think the second half of the Castle on hard is utter bullshit

I feel like the miss chance on melee skills is a lot higher in this game. Its led to some frustrating moments.

Ydelnae

I rather use my HP and heal them afterwards than make the battle longer than it should be and still lose HP.

They are not really worth it early on, though.

Domstercool

Managed to find the treasure in one day in the 7th palace. That felt great and terrifying in one go....I was so close to no SP on the mini boss fight before finding the treasure room. >.<

Shahadan

Same here. I appreciate the idea and effort, but it's rather apparent that they designed the palaces to take you a long time rather than being clever or fun things.
Loot is crap as well, lol. At least they're visually creative

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just have to send the calling card for the third dungeon.

Slight nitpick about that palace:

I thought the part with the pin numbers was a bit over-done. The whole 4th pin/lock part could have been cut. Just felt it was unnecessary

I missed the second save room in that Palace, and died from mobs who inflict Rage/dude with no weaknesses. Went from level 25 right back to level 20. Wasn't angry. Just got SMT'd and I felt glad to know that I had to stay serious the whole way through. But replaying the whole thing twice?

Yeah, it goes on for way too long. WAY too long. One area too many.

Same here. I appreciate the idea and effort, but it's rather apparent that they designed the palaces to take you a long time rather than being clever or fun things.
Loot is crap as well, lol. At least they're visually creative

They are obviously designed to be explored over multiple days. They are VERY long. I know I'm making things harder on myself by doing them in one day. But that's on me. I still love how big and meaty the Palaces are. They didn't skimp on them.

tariniel

Feel like a noob over here, it took me 4 days to do the first palace on Normal (4th day was because of the calling card, I had no idea that was a thing), then I read some people did it in 1 or 2 even on hard. I also managed to miss seeing some movie in April.. I'm on 4/30 and it says "Await the change of heart", I assume it's too late for the movie?

Wish I had an earlier save I could reload and do it again. Feels really bad. A little over 12 hours in and I don't want to restart either.

Kyrios

I missed the second save room in that Palace, and died from mobs who inflict Rage/dude with no weaknesses. Went from level 25 right back to level 20. Wasn't angry. Just got SMT'd and I felt glad to know that I had to stay serious the whole way through. But replaying the whole thing twice?

Yeah, it goes on for way too long. WAY too long. One area too many.

I think there were maybe 5 save rooms? Much less than the 1st and 2nd palace. I remember two large areas not even having a save room.

Loving everything so far, but man, they really threw you in there like "Good luck!" Lol

Dresden

I feel like the miss chance on melee skills is a lot higher in this game. Its led to some frustrating moments.

yeah, sometimes I get like three misses in a row and it's kinda frustrating. But the new technical damage stuff makes up for it though.

Opa-Pa

I buy rest room only recovery items and use a lot of physical to save SP. Physical skills are the most thrilling thing in Megaten games for me, raising critical and then using multi-hit attacks and see enemies get criticals constantly is the best feeling.

Chaos17

Feel like a noob over here, it took me 4 days to do the first palace on Normal (4th day was because of the calling card, I had no idea that was a thing), then I read some people did it in 1 or 2 even on hard. I also managed to miss seeing some movie in April.

Wish I had an earlier save I could reload and do it again. Feels really bad. A little over 12 hours in and I don't want to restart either.
Don't be specially if those stats include new game plus which I suspect because some confidants done in early game can't be unlock until you reach a high stat level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom