• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opa-Pa

Blasphemy.

It was novel and awesome when I first heard this version 9 years ago in 3 FES, but goddamn 1 and 2 not only had different remixes, but 2 had other songs that cycled in there, but when 3 came out Atlus decided to keep reusing it for every new installment and having spent like probably a week of my life fusing stuff... Yeah I'm tired.

Kinsei

Banned
So I'm still in the first palace but I was wondering... Is there any AOE damage spells in the game? Haven't seen any so far.

Would be nice to quickly clear the trash fights.

Yes. Ma(spell) are spells that hit all enemies. Me(spell) are spells that heal your entire party.

FHIZ

How much should I worry about guns? With how much weapons and armor cost, I've been upgrading those but usually run out of cash for guns. Two dungeons in and I've only been using guns for hitting enemies that are week to them in order to set up a group attack. Should I really even bother upgrading that much?

Only a couple hours past the game "opening up." So is it not really possible to avoid fights in this one? In 3 and 4 I still engaged most of the time, but I liked having the option of easily sneaking past / outrunning a shadow if I wanted to avoid fighting for a hallway or two; in 5, that doesn't seem to really be an option, at least in this first dungeon.

Opa-Pa

How much should I worry about guns? With how much weapons and armor cost, I've been upgrading those but usually run out of cash for guns. Two dungeons in and I've only been using guns for hitting enemies that are week to them in order to set up a group attack. Should I really even bother upgrading that much?

Some characters' can be quite strong, like Ryuji's, but they're definitely not essential. So if you need to cut costs on something, choose guns.

Persona 5 was well worth waiting a decade for. Unlike some other big name JRPG which got delayed for a century.... *cough*

Based Atlus.

It also happens to be good, which is awesome.

GReeeeN

so just to confirm, when I'm going to "hang out" with my confident, I should always equip the type of persona i have according to their class, as this will give me more XP for social links??

Still trying to wrap my head around confidents/ personas/ Social Stats and how they directly help you in battle

Only a couple hours past the game "opening up." So is it not really possible to avoid fights in this one? In 3 and 4 I still engaged most of the time, but I liked having the option of easily sneaking past / outrunning a shadow if I wanted to avoid fighting for a hallway or two; in 5, that doesn't seem to really be an option, at least in this first dungeon.
Remember, when you're behind cover, the enemy will never see you. Using this can get you past a lot of them in palaces by combining that with taking advantage of their patrol route.

Kinsei

Banned
so just to confirm, when I'm going to "hang out" with my confident, I should always equip the type of persona i have according to their class, as this will give me more XP for social links??

Still trying to wrap my head around confidents/ personas/ Social Stats and how they directly help you in battle

Correct.

Confidants give you bonus exp when fusing personas (which in turn nets them more skills) and gives you various skills that help in and out of battle. Social stats help you do things outside of dungeons.

I'm about 20 or 22 hours in. I think I might like this more than Persona 3, I know I like the soundtrack more than P3's. It's very somber and moody yet classy. Whats the recommended level for the second major boss out of curiosity, just got there more or less and I'm level 15.

Chaos17

I feel so torn about this game.

So many aspects of it are way better than P3/P4

Problem is I don't give a FUCK about ANY of the characters which is basically why P3/P4 are two of my favorite games ever.

I'm only 3 dungeons in though.

I'm at the beginning of chapter 5 and I've the same feeling as you. While I love indivually most of the characters, they don't bond well together to make me actually care for their "goal".
Which ùake think of Naoto who will ask them "are you not taking this as game?"Because it's where I'm kinda now. I hope chapter 5 will finaly make the group come really together

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Prioritize armor, melee weapons, and then guns.

But even so, you don't really need to upgrade them. I didn't buy any guns whatsoever up to finishing the fourth dungeon and it was fine (and I only just bought them since I don't know where I should spend my accumulated money so why not)

duckroll

Wait WHAT? Fuck I totally missed that. Must have wasted a bunch of points by not doing that. :(

Totakeke

Well you don't need to equip it. Just have it in your stock.

ramyeon

It was novel and awesome when I first heard this version 9 years ago in 3 FES, but goddamn 1 and 2 not only had different remixes, but 2 had other songs that cycled in there, but when 3 came out Atlus decided to keep reusing it for every new installment and having spent like probably a week of my life fusing stuff... Yeah I'm tired.
Fair enough, I've been listening to it for just as long but I don't think I'll ever get sick of it personally.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wait WHAT? Fuck I totally missed that. Must have wasted a bunch of points by not doing that. :(

Is this your first Persona game?

It has always been that way from P3. There are exceptions like the Sun Confidant where it isn't necessary since it's always a guaranteed level up every time you meet with him (in P3, it's the Devil), but generally yeah, always bring the Persona of the Confidant's arcana that you want to level up.

gun_haver

I'm about 20 or 22 hours in. I think I might like this more than Persona 3, I know I like the soundtrack more than P3's. It's very somber and moody yet classy. Whats the recommended level for the second major boss out of curiosity, just got there more or less and I'm level 15.

You can press select to see the average player level for the day you're on. I was 17 when I got to that point.

I like this little extra - it is more interesting than a pure guide, since you can approach the dungeons on different days. IE I was ahead of the average level for a while cos I completed a dungeon early, and then before the next one started, I'm back to average cos everyone done it.

It also feels good looking at it and seeing people still dealing with a dungeon when you completed it 10 days ago and have been advancing all your stuff.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I'm pretty sure only having the persona in your stock is required. Basically if the game tells you one of your personas will help, you're set.

I really love how more involved the S. Links/Confidants are in this game (well maybe not the surprise skill checks halfway through the link). Being able to hang out in different locations in non-Jean up encounters adds a ton to these characters and makes them more interesting. Alao there is nothing more satisfying than (general rank 10 spoilers)
these characters telling you they know that you're a phantom thief, but that they're okay with that. No other persona game makes you feel so close to non-party members.

Totakeke

I really love how more involved the S. Links/Confidants are in this game (well maybe not the surprise skill checks halfway through the link). Being able to hang out in different locations in non-Jean up encounters adds a ton to these characters and makes them more interesting. Alao there is nothing more satisfying than (general rank 10 spoilers)
these characters telling you they know that you're a phantom thief, but that they're okay with that. No other persona game makes you feel so close to non-party members.

There's more to come.

You can press select to see the average player level for the day you're on. I was 17 when I got to that point.

I like this little extra - it is more interesting than a pure guide, since you can approach the dungeons on different days. IE I was ahead of the average level for a while cos I completed a dungeon early, and then before the next one started, I'm back to average cos everyone done it.

It also feels good looking at it and seeing people still dealing with a dungeon when you completed it 10 days ago and have been advancing all your stuff.
I should do this more often, I just never do it. Seems like I'm not badly under leveled since I can easily beat the stuff in the area. Just need to at some point get better stuff. I will admit to having a bit of difficulty raising my character stats and finding more social links.

I haven't played a Persona game since Persona 4! Atlus has been too busy releasing real SMT games! :p

(Okay, so the last time I played Persona 4 was on the Vita like just a year ago, but I only got like 15 hours in before getting sidetracked AGAIN....)

I out 100+ hrs into P4G and still forgot about that for the first few hours of P5. There's just a lot of systems going on, it can be hard to remember all of it, especially the stuff they don't point out

Opa-Pa

Is it worth it to demand money from Shadows? Feels like they give out less than if you just kill them all.

Depends of the shadow, but I'd say wait till you unlock a passive ability that increases the money gained in negotiations. You get it with a specific social link.

Brine

Cool to see that the day after you send the calling card you can still make tools, thought Morgana wouldn't allow you to cause you can't do the usual stuff

ramyeon

Is it worth it to demand money from Shadows? Feels like they give out less than if you just kill them all.
With a social link skill you can request larger amounts and even multiple times. It even lets you demand money then just follow through with an all out attack afterwards anyway so you get the best of both worlds :)

With some abilities you'll get later on (
from a confidant
), you can net some serious cash in a single battle. I'm just past dungeon 3 and certain enemies gave me more than 20 000 yen per battle.

mike6467

Morgana is a god damn liar when he says you're almost to the end in dungeon 3. Jesus, that last stretch to get your route secured was brutal. I only died once but it easily could've been 3 or 4 times. Never thought I'd say this...but thank you Marin Karin?

I did that once and never again, not sure why though

When I don't catch them, I usually kill them off most of the time, I need all the exp I can get.

The only times I demand something is when there's only one or maybe two shadow, and I only demand item.

Morgana is a god damn liar when he says you're almost to the end in dungeon 3. Jesus, that last stretch to get your route secured was brutal. I only died once but it easily could've been 3 or 4 times. Never thought I'd say this...but thank you Marin Karin?

Rule #7: Never trust what Morgana says.

But yeah, Marin Karin is the lifesaver for that dungeon.

The idea of a 100 hour game is kind of intimidating to me. How easy is it to break this game up into chunks? I'd need to take a couple of breaks and play other games. No way I can just play this.

I did that once and never again, not sure why though

When I don't catch them, I usually kill them off most of the time, I need all the exp I can get.

The only times I demand something is when there's only one or maybe two shadow, and I only demand item.

Is it because money is not needed? Because I'm at third dungeon and money demands usually reach to 7k. So if I arleady have the persona, I just demand money. We still get the exp anyway.

Kinsei

Banned
The idea of a 100 hour game is kind of intimidating to me. How easy is it to break this game up into chunks? I'd need to take a couple of breaks and play other games. No way I can just play this.

There's a story summary that gets updated after every chapter. Those would make good break points.

I dont want to execute my Persona that is the original to my main character. Is there any benefit from not doing so?

No. Arsene will eventually become useless and will just be taking up valuable space that could be used for a good persona.

Toki767

Is it because money is not needed? Because I'm at third dungeon and money demands usually reach to 7k. So if I arleady have the persona, I just demand money. We still get the exp anyway.
There are tricks to get near unlimited money through Momento bosses.

But money is absolutely needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom