• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opa-Pa

Took me three dungeons to realize,
but I guess the deadly sins appearing in the opening are actually the bosses lol, I feel stupid now.

Edit: Haha beaten.

Ulong

What exactly does the fortune reading to increase gains in a social stat do? Visually nothing changes, I get the same number of musical notes as I would have from the task without the fortune.

my weekend starts today.

as in my 2 days off work are mondays/tuesdays :3

I intend to veg out myself.
Lucky. My 2 day weekend went by so fast with this game. Now I can only play a few hours a day until the next one...
latest

Hey guys I have a question...is there ever a point in the game where the Cafe becomes a hideout like in the screenshot? I remember seeing that in the original trailer, but I don't recall it being anywhere in the actual game itself. Please correct if I'm wrong, thanks!
There are a lot if scenes from the first PV that aren't in. This is one if them.

silva1991

I think I'm at the final dungeon

SPOILERS

Mementos depth

Disappointing if so. I even prefer P4's randomly generated final dungeon over this

Oh God the final boss better be good

LiK

Soejima is king of designing waifus. Jesus, every main female is so cute. Also, the VO for all of them are great. I love Makoto's primarily because of her VO, Gonna need to look up the VA and give her props.

I've been playing for about 8 hours and I'm still amazed how much STYLE this game has. Everything from the menus to cutscenes looks so good!!! I think this is the best looking game I've ever played!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What exactly does the fortune reading to increase gains in a social stat do? Visually nothing changes, I get the same number of musical notes as I would have from the task without the fortune.

If you do the activity for a Social Stat that gives you 3 musical notes and then you use her to increase the gain for that Social Stat, then yes it doesn't change.

However she does add 1 extra musical note if that activity only gives you 1 or 2 notes normally, which is really helpful for activities with multiple raise or activities that give you only 2 notes such as studying in the Diner (you can get 3 notes instead of 2 in non-rainy days for Knowledge, for instance, or get 2 instead of just one for Guts/Kindness/Charm if you order their specific food/drinks)

necrosis

probably a dumb question, but how do you give gifts to confidants? is it something that only becomes available after a certain amount of story progression?

Nah, the items are in the box that you basically just touch as you go (though there are treasure chests), and the Regents are floating around.

Apparently they have a higher chance to appear during rainy days too.

You just see them around in jewel form iirc. Not that common either based on my experience.

Roger, thanks!

Oh I might as well ask, but did anyone also bought the SP+ regent item for all of their teammates? Is it worth the investment?

Ulong

If you do the activity for a Social Stat that gives you 3 musical notes and then you use her to increase the gain for that Social Stat, then yes it doesn't change.

However she does add 1 extra musical note if that activity only gives you 1 or 2 notes normally, which is really helpful for activities with multiple raise or activities that give you only 2 notes such as studying in the Diner (you can get 3 notes instead of 2 in non-rainy days for Knowledge, for instance, or get 2 instead of just one for Guts/Kindness/Charm if you order their specific food/drinks)

Ah this all makes sense, thanks.

aravuus

my weekend starts today.

as in my 2 days off work are mondays/tuesdays :3

I intend to veg out myself.

I just came to work so fuck this day and fuck my productivity, but at least I've got a 4-day weekend coming since next Friday and Monday are holidays in Finland. Definitely expect to finish the game by the end of the week.

A bit faster than I initially expected, but Persona 5 is pretty much all I've been doing on my free time lol.

The fortune stat bonus thing still applies, I think, even if you get three notes it just doesn't tell you.

Haven't tested it out myself but my stats rose extremely quickly once I started using it, so I think it had a strong effect.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Roger, thanks!

Oh I might as well ask, but did anyone also bought the SP+ regent item for all of their teammates? Is it worth the investment?

The 50K one from Death rank 7 (100k without the discount perk), yes, they are massively, massively helpful.

With it you can practically stay in Mementos for as long as you want, since even if the latter depths you may burn SP more than they can regenerate, you can always just go to the 1st dungeon and fight really weak enemies and restore your SP to full while defending against them. 200k for 4 for each of your party members is really a fantastic investment. Heck, especially with how Star level 10 works I am even thinking maybe I will also buy them for my reserve party members as well.

They also allow you to practically blitz through Palaces, especially if you are clever with Baton Passing/arranging your turns for maximum effect.

probably a dumb question, but how do you give gifts to confidants? is it something that only becomes available after a certain amount of story progression?

Nah, nothing to do with story progression. You can gift to people when you're hanging out with them, providing the points you've gained on the previous meeting are not enough to rank up their confidant.

LiK

The 50K one from Death rank 7, yes, it's massively, massively helpful.

With it you can practically stay in Mementos for as long as you want, since even if the latter depths you may burn SP more than they can regenerate, you can always just go to the 1st dungeon and fight really weak enemies and restore your SP to full while defending against them. 200k for 4 for each of your party members is really a fantastic investment. Heck, especially with how Star level 10 works I am even thinking maybe I will also buy them for my reserve party members as well.

They also allow you to practically blitz through Palaces, especially if you are clever with Baton Passing/arranging your turns for maximum effect.

Yea, I bought one to try out and I think I'll invest it in more later. Not having to worry about SP is the best.

What's the best way to raise Guts early on? I'm trying to advance
Death
and unlock the Confidant at the
Airsoft Shop
, but everything I can do only gives me like 1 point at a time, and it's wasting a ton of time.

Death
Airsoft Shop
, but everything I can do only gives me like 1 point at a time, and it's wasting a ton of time.

Get the pirate ship book out from the library and read it, it will give you +3 for each time you read. You can read in one of the seats at the counter in LeBlanc.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Death
Airsoft Shop

The burger challenge, cost you 500 yen each time, will give you 2 points at a time. Alternatively, watching Movies in theater will also give you plenty, you have to check back often to see which movie is playing tho. You can also raise it in diner but you will get only 1 (though with extra 2 Knowledge, 3 if raining)

DVD watching will give you three each time, but they are limited in that you can't re-watch them once you're done.

The most consistent way to do it with no randomness and you can do it continuously is the burger challenge, basically.

I ditched the basic elemental spells of everyone's Persona to make room for the better ones. And now I kinda regret it, as I still sometimes only need the basic ones to down enemies to preserve SP. I've equipped everyone with the SP 3 accessory, but I'm still not sure if I made the right decision.

Death
Airsoft Shop

The burger challenge. And make sure to come at night so it's only 500 Yen for each attempt.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I ditched the basic elemental spells of everyone's Persona to make room for the better ones. And now I kinda regret it, as I still sometimes only need the basic ones to down enemies to preserve SP. I've equipped everyone with the SP 3 accessory, but I'm still not sure if I made the right decision.

At *some point* you basically have to throw away all those 1st tier spells anyways, if you want to stay competitive against the increasing challenge, especially against bosses.

Play around with Baton passes and invest in Melee weapons to maximize the SP gain. Also, I haven't tried it, but if it works like in previous games, then Invigorate also stacks with the SP regen accessory, yeah? Meaning if you have invigorate 2 in your persona + you're equipping SP 3 accessory, your regen will be 5 + 7 = 12 per turn for your MC.

PK Gaming

[6/10-11] - aka the best stretch in the game so far

If there ever was a moment that best showcased the blatant improvement in writing, it was this one. I loved, loved, loved the heart to heart in Joker's room between the Phantom Thief members. It was just this really natural, raw conversation between a bunch of kids with messed up backgrounds. Previous Persona games typically had characters talking around each other, but the characters were directly talking at each other, and it was fantastic. I really dig the friendship scenes in general. They're not as long or as funny as they were in 4s, but there are more of them scattered about, and the game does a better job of selling the individual relationships between the members of the Phantom Thieves than the previous Persona games.

I can't believe Ryuji's baggage got brought up again. Say what you will about him; he's loud, he's obnoxious, he's on a serious power trip, he's an idiot... but the damn kid has had a seriously hard life, and the for the first time he's got an outlet to vent his frustrations. And Joker... man, I can't believe he's got a backstory that goes beyond "transfer student." Like, his backstory is almost as compelling as the rest. Also I seriously feel for Makoto. She's burdened with so many expectations and demands from the people around her, and everyone despises her for it.

Also the scene with Makoto and her sister was superb (the fact that the game switches between multiple perspectives is without a doubt, one of my new favorite additions to P5)

Everything regarding Akechi is solid too. The OVA episode made it clear he had a bone to pick with the Phantom Thieves, but I pleasantly surprised at how badly he admonished their actions. Not only that, he's directly influencing public perception, which makes him an interesting obstacle for the thieves. I'm really looking forward to future interactions with him.

"EFFIN AKECHI"

[6/10-11] - aka the best stretch in the game so far

If there ever was a moment that best showcased the blatant improvement in writing, it was this one. I loved, loved, loved the heart to heart in Joker's room between the Phantom Thief members. It was just this really natural, raw conversation between a bunch of kids with messed up backgrounds. Previous Persona games typically had characters talking around each other, but the characters were directly talking at each other, and it was fantastic. I really dig the friendship scenes in general. They're not as long or as funny as they were in 4s, but there are more of them scattered about, and the game does a better job of selling the individual relationships between the members of the Phantom Thieves than the previous Persona games.

I can't believe Ryuji's baggage got brought up again. Say what you will about him; he's loud, he's obnoxious, he's on a serious power trip, he's an idiot... but the damn kid has had a seriously hard life, and the for the first time he's got an outlet to vent his frustrations. And Joker... man, I can't believe he's got a backstory that goes beyond "transfer student." Like, his backstory is almost as compelling as the rest. Also I seriously feel for Makoto. She's burdened with so many expectations and demands from the people around her, and everyone despises her for it.

Also the scene with Makoto and her sister was superb (the fact that the game switches between multiple perspectives is without a doubt, one of my new favorite additions to P5)

Everything regarding Akechi is solid too. The OVA episode made it clear he had a bone to pick with the Phantom Thieves, but I pleasantly surprised at how badly he admonished their actions. Not only that, he's directly influencing public perception, which makes him an interesting obstacle for the thieves. I'm really looking forward to future interactions with him.

"EFFIN AKECHI"
Yup, for me this is the best Persona game for everything that you mentioned. Damn I love this game. Sorry P4...

Lusankya

There are a lot if scenes from the first PV that aren't in. This is one if them.
Regarding the question whether or not the screenshot from PV#01 is in the game:

That's not entirely correct.
They certainly have LeBlanc as a HQ, it's just at a point when the party consists of more than the initial four members.

Griss

Question about mementos... Do tasks or side-quests or whatever they are expire? I keep getting bugged about doing one having beaten the second dungeon.

If the time remaining after the second dungeon expires, will the quest be forfeited? Or can I do what I'd prefer to do and wait and do a bunch of the side-quests at once? Wait, can you even have more than one at one time? And are they important to do to unlock confidants?

OmegaDL50

Ditto. Track 8 on repeat in my car though. Feels great driving around listening to it.

Also, what are some cool names you came up for your group of Phantom Thieves ?

I did LaLiLuLeLo.

I wanted to use The Gentlemen but there wasn't enough characters, as a reference to Arsene Lupin "The Gentleman Thief"

Instead I went with Night Hoods, which is based on the French-Canadian animated series "Night Hood" which is also known as Les exploits d'Arsène Lupin which based on the titular character from Maurice Leblanc's novels.

Interesting enough there is a several Lupin references as well from the author Maurice Leblanc himself.

One such example the Cafe itself is named "Leblanc"

Cess007

Finished the 1st dungeon
and beat the 2nd Memento mini-boss. I like that the moved the random generated dungeons to that part

Is there any good way to gain Kindness fast? I feel I'm missing important days as I can't start/progress with that party member :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Question about mementos... Do tasks or side-quests or whatever they are expire? I keep getting bugged about doing one having beaten the second dungeon.

If the time remaining after the second dungeon expires, will the quest be forfeited? Or can I do what I'd prefer to do and wait and do a bunch of the side-quests at once? Wait, can you even have more than one at one time? And are they important to do to unlock confidants?

You can have multiple Mementos quests at the same time and do them all in one swoop.

Some (many) Confidants require you to go to Mementos for their specific quests before you can max them up. Some, like Fortune and Tower, require you to go deal with their Mementos specific quests before you can even initiate them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lucky. My 2 day weekend went by so fast with this game. Now I can only play a few hours a day until the next one...

dude how is that lucky, Ive been working all weekend. Im at work right now :p

my 2 days are the same as the 2 days you just had :D

HMD

I'm in late august and my social stats are

Knowledge: 4
Guts: 4
Charm: 3
Proficiency: 2
Kindness: 2

How fucked am I?

Pachinko

Well, to whoever it was that told me to just keep on keeping on , that all would eventually be shown to me ... thanks.

This game really does have a slow introduction but , now that I'm almost 9 hours in and getting close to the end of the first dungeon figuring things out I'm realizing what it is about this franchise that must appeal to people. The characters man, they just grow on you and this early there aren't too many but they have such personality.

The amount of stuff you can do outside of the main tasks still feels a bit daunting because it's not clear what will and what won't waste part of your day until you try it but I suppose that's part of the fun this game offers - the unknown.

Also, might I say that I've left the difficulty on Normal and I'm finding a couple fights pretty challenging until you play a little more by the games rules.

The second miniboss in the Kamoshida dungeon that forces you to guard constantly or else someone is getting OHKO'd ... possibly the whole party if he does the right attack.. the knights on horseback are also a pain in the ass because I haven't found a weakness for them yet.

I do have a couple more questions that I'll leave in spoilers just in case -

If you finish a dungeon "early" do you have the rest of that time to do whatever you want ? or does time skip ahead to the next major storyline ? Also, is it worth trying to nab every persona you encounter in a dungeon ? do some of them appear later on if you skip them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom