• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

massoluk

Banned
If I wanted to play Persona 3 in the future, which is the 'better' version to play? Persona 3 FES on the PS3, or Persona 3 Portable on the Vita? Sounds like both FES and P3P have their ups and downs. Is there a clear 'definitive' version?
I can't believe how much of a bad presentation P3P was that it turned me off the game, but some people said it was definitive version. But damn if I'm going to get a PS3 to compare them.

duckroll

If I wanted to play Persona 3 in the future, which is the 'better' version to play? Persona 3 FES on the PS3, or Persona 3 Portable on the Vita? Sounds like both FES and P3P have their ups and downs. Is there a clear 'definitive' version?

FES is the definitive version in terms of content and story. There's no question about that. But the Portable version can be easier to play because of accessibility improvements, and it is much faster to play because town maps and event scenes are reduced to menus and dialogue conversations. The female MC option is fun too. Portable is generally meant for fans who have already played the game before and want to replay the game in different ways.

I can't believe how much of a bad presentation P3P was that it turned me off the game, but people said it was definitive version. But damn if I'm going to get a PS3 to compare them.

Portable is the definitive version for people who played and finished Persona 3 at least once or twice and know a lot of the game by heart, and want the more convenient way to replay the game with the most extra options. For people who haven't played it before, it is a -terrible- representation.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

If it's your first time, FES, no question about it. The presentation style of P3P affects the overall impact of many scenes so much I wouldn't recommend it over FES even if you put a gun on my head.

P3P with the female character. Massive improvement over the original game.
The navigation is menu based but that will save you time and yeah, no animated cutscenes, but the animation was kinda shit anyway.
Better protagonist, better music, better-looking menus, faster pace.

P3P with female MC > P4G > P3 FES

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Question about the final (or what I assume to be the final) dungeon.

Does it fast forward to endgame if you finish Shido's palace early, or should I spend time maxing out confidants beforehand?

Just finished Persona 5 and all I can think of is that it's gonna be a long while until Persona 6 T_T

Anyways another homerun by Atlus/Hashino/Meguro/P Studio, can't wait for RE Fantasy and P6 in next 5-10 years.
This just after Zelda was too much for my poor soul, I think I'm gonna take break from gaming until E3 XD

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Holundrian said:
So I'm going to start saying I played a way more physical oriented party since I have no idea how to make magic work, the little I tried I just could not even get close to the physical numbers(like my magic dmg peaks around 1.5k) maybe I needed to forgo defense accessories in favor of dmg boosting ones but that's kind of a big minus already.
Also with Allmighty being nerfed somewhat hard magic felt rather underwhelming this game beyond exploiting weaknesses with it.

Anyways:

Ryuji: Must have for physical comps. He gets his own charge, group attack buff, can take a hit has okayish magic dmg(if you equip mjollnir) in case physical isn't an option + good hard hitting physical skills. Tier 1.

Morgana: Best healer, but beyond that it didn't feel really necessary to use him. I can see him being really good in a different composition from mine but most of his skill set was covered by MC and the fact that Mediarahan just heals everyone to full anyways.
Also his spells really eat a ton of SP.

Anne: Best offensive caster given that she gets concentrate and top tier fire spells. That said since magic in P5 is somewhat underwhelming she just didn't cut it for me. Maybe there is a playstyle where you use her to set up technical but in the high end fights(bosses) status effects are useless so you can't really set up technicals there.... or I just was unlucky but then that just speaks to how inconsistent such a build would be.

Yusuke: Weird character. I think he can be really strong if your MC personas play around him and buff him since he seems to have strong multi hit physicals. Other than that he felt mediocre since neither his physical set nor magic set is supported by any of his own passives. So for me he was more like a avoidance buff bot if I ever used him.

Makoto: For me top tier. Competent offensive caster and healer. She just fills composition holes very well I feel like.

Haru: Top tier as well for me she gets Heatriser one of the best buffs in the game and kind of rounds out the buff rotations really well. Also liked her bullet skill that has a crit chance a decently reliable tool to get a down on enemies that are otherwise impervious without wasting a round on guard kills. Her skillset is also so big it's hard to decide on what you keep on her.

Partial requote from the now closed import thread on what my perceptions were of the characters at the time purely gameplay wise mostly from an endgame optimized perspective. Shouta had some good comments on Yusuke being probably super good during full on fresh challenge mode runs due his survivability if I remember correctly.

Has anyone watched the Daybreaker anime? Does it spoil anything from the game? Also, all this talk of P3: are the movies worth watching? I played 3 a long time ago so itd be nice to get a refresher for it.

RalchAC

I can't say loud enough how much I love the battle menus in this game.

Having one button assigned to each action is wonderful. Everything is so fast and once you get used to it battling becomes really fast and intuitive.

I don't want to go back to normal menus ever again.

Has anyone watched the Daybreaker anime? Does it spoil anything from the game? Also, all this talk of P3: are the movies worth watching? I played 3 a long time ago so itd be nice to get a refresher for it.

The Daybreaker episode is about a Mementos sidequest, although it's different in game. You'll unlock it between the 2nd and 3rd dungeon and it's about
a gang that is causing problems at Shibuya while saying they're the Phantom Thieves
. Pretty mild spoilers, it's just the premise of a Mementos sidequest.

Taruranto

Should I get Ryuji's S.Link over 5? I read horrible things about his Rank 6 bonus.

And to be honest I'm not sure I'll use him for the endgame, but it feels like a waste to just drop him, I already spread S.Links too much and this game gives you very little free time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the end of the dungeon isn't that far, and when you'll reach it, you will need to leave, you won't have a choice, so reach the end of the dungeon, run away from ennemies if you need, it will save you a day that way!

That isnt working, im running into
super high lvl enemies that just one shot my entire party or near that and I cant avoid them, theres no where to hide in these shifting rooms.

Yu Narukami

Partial requote from the now closed import thread on what my perceptions were of the characters at the time purely gameplay wise mostly from an endgame optimized perspective. Shouta had some good comments on Yusuke being probably super good during full on fresh challenge mode runs due his survivability if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the info. Who can I use as a backup healer instead of the MC or Mona?

Dominator

Really enjoying the game on Safe mode. Got over $200,000 just from going through and completing the first Palace. I purchased a few of everything I could find (just one of each weapon) and I still have a ton left.

I don't know how the money is spread on other modes but its good to not have to worry about it.

OuterLimits

I would go with FES. It has more story and is better if it's your first time playing in my opinion. PSP version is good after you have played both parts of FES(Journey, Answer)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hated the psp version of 3 because it was badically a visual novel outside of combat :/

Toki767

Game barely even has PS4 enhancement over the PS3 version..forget about Pro. Beside it originally came out in September 2016 so no.

I'm curious if Boost Mode does anything to it.

Playing on the Pro...there are barely any load times. Like almost nothing that lasts longer than 5 seconds. Is that how it is on the regular PS4?

Dragner

Gameplay is better on P3P and story on FES. So depending on what you preffer go for it. I played P3 directly on PSP and never regret it. You lose the navigation and the anime stuff but the gameplay is vastly improved that is what I wanted (AI on P3 is kind of dumb so controlling the squad myself was a big +)

nOoblet16

Gameplay is better on P3P and story on FES. So depending on what you preffer go for it. I played P3 directly on PSP and never regret it. You lose the navigation and the anime stuff but the gameplay is vastly improved that is what I wanted (AI on P3 is kind of dumb so controlling the squad myself was a big +)
Why is the gameplay better in P3P?

MTC100

Banned
I've played 45 hours so far and am now entering the 4th palace, I guess I'm roughly half way through the game once I finish this palace. Which will probably take another 5-7 hours, so the 100h playtime wasn't a joke. I am really surprised as to how well the Dungeons are designed, it's not often you see so much work put into them in any video game. -However I feel they are a bit too big for their own good. Heck, they take as long as whole SP Campaigns of other games, lol... -but I guess that's also a good thing. The amount of content in this game is just insane and I guess I will have to complete a NG+ run to see really everything, does anyone know if there is something new(like a special ending perhaps?) added for NG+ or is it just the same game?

Ryuji = chie is funny to a certain point but nah, ryuji does way more dumb shit.

He really does, he also makes up for every dumb mistake the whole P4 cast would have made. Yelling out that they
are the Phantom Thieves while sitting in a restaurant with people in very close proximity
made me facepalm which I rarely do for a videogame character.

About two thirds done but not certain if i going to finish the game.
I guess i really can't take turn base combat along with getting personas any more.
Which sad since this game is really good and does a lot right but i don't have the drive to finish .

Rhaknar

This difficulty spike in the second half of the first palace seems absolutely ridiculous :/

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why is the gameplay better in P3P?

QOL improvements basically such as the ability to control your own party members (you can't do this in P3 and P3 FES)

However, I can't stress this enough, 1st time players should play FES first over P3P for a full experience, including the Answer. The downgraded presentation brings to it massive impact on the overall atmosphere and feel of the game, both of which should be experienced in full first for first time players of Persona 3.

Salaadin

Beginning dungeon 3
I'm at the part where you enter the bank but Makoto didn't have her awakening moment yet. Does this happen early on and do I leave the dungeon after it happens?

Secondly, there's no harm in waiting a day or two before entering the dungeon? I'm not going to lose any free time if I don't rush the dungeon right away?

I only ask because I'm rank 4 Death and I think I might be better off taking another day or two to get rank 5 and a few of those SP accessories that Takemi sells

Theswweet

I'm at 55 hours in, and it looks like I'm just about to catch up to the opening, plotwise. I guess I'll have this finished by the end of Tuesday?

Kyonashi

Portable is the definitive version for people who played and finished Persona 3 at least once or twice and know a lot of the game by heart, and want the more convenient way to replay the game with the most extra options. For people who haven't played it before, it is a -terrible- representation.

Damn, really? I played P3P and P4G as my only playthroughs of those games, you're making me want to go back and play FES after I'm done with P5 cause as a newcomer to the series I *adored* P3P.

Also ya'll are making me realise why I rarely join the conversation in OTs, everyone seems to be around July and I only just finished Palace 1 and am at 4/28. Granted, I finished all of NieRs routes before I really got stuck in, but some of you are so damn fast on new releases.

MTC100

Banned
QOL improvements basically such as the ability to control your own party members (you can't do this in P3 and P3 FES)

However, I can't stress this enough, 1st time players should play FES first over P3P for a full experience, including the Answer. The downgraded presentation brings to it massive impact on the overall atmosphere and feel of the game, both of which should be experienced in full first for first time players of Persona 3.

I never played P3 or FES on the PS2 before, I played P3P on my PSP back in the days though, is FES worth it if you've already finished P3P? I've heard they added a female MC and some new Social Links to FES. -Well I guess I don't really have many memories of the P3 story left anyway, it's been over a decade...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Beginning dungeon 3
I'm at the part where you enter the bank but Makoto didn't have her awakening moment yet. Does this happen early on and do I leave the dungeon after it happens?

Secondly, there's no harm in waiting a day or two before entering the dungeon? I'm not going to lose any free time if I don't rush the dungeon right away?

I only ask because I'm rank 4 Death and I think I might be better off taking another day or two to get rank 5 and a few of those SP accessories that Takemi sells

Don't buy them at rank 5. Wait until you get the half-price discount from rank 7.

I never played P3 or FES on the PS2 before, I played P3P on my PSP back in the days though, is FES worth it? I've heard they added a female MC and some new Social Links to FES.

Female MC is P3P only, a what-if scenario, basically. She's not canon, and the subsequent Persona games don't even recognize her existence, haha.

FES is definitely worth it, IMO, despite some weird gameplay decision that game is very rich in atmosphere and has great characters too (IMO). You can buy FES for PS3, if you have the console.

Exentryk

Made a little more progress (
had a drink with Ann
) and really liking the character interactions. It flows really smoothly, and I like the drawn faces that pop up when they're talking. The plot so far seems more personal, and I like these personal stories more in RPGs. Let's see how it progresses.

Edit: Oh, is there missable stuff in this? Got so lost in the story, I haven't really been paying much attention to the gameplay side of things. Is there a missables guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom