• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Everyone here does...

Not sure why you included an ellipsis lol

The hardest dungeon for me. Was the only dungeon I had to quit early because I just had no sp to go further. I'm jealous of my brother because he uses any item when he plays RPGs but here I am with a bunch of full so items that I refuse to use even at the last dungeon.

Morgana is the animal with a voice done right. Poor teddie had to be the experiment for them to reach a good product,

I was struggling, but managed to get to the treasure in one night.

I love Morgana's english VA.

I was surprised when Morgana got confused in battle and started meowing :3

Oof, that puzzle in Castle 5 broke my mind. I don't think there's a way to solve it without wiping out all enemies so you can have "space" to figure it out.

I've hit that point where I can't advance a lot of S Links without maxing out my stats, but it's all on lvl 4 right now, and idk which one to prioritize.

Linkura

The hardest dungeon for me. Was the only dungeon I had to quit early because I just had no sp to go further. I'm jealous of my brother because he uses any item when he plays RPGs but here I am with a bunch of full so items that I refuse to use even at the last dungeon.

Yeah, it's the hardest dungeon so far by far. Just finished 3rd one last night. The problem with the first one is that you gotta do it all in one go if you want to finish it in one night. The 2nd dungeon, they break it up in half for you. By the 3rd and onward, you're able get and afford items that help keep your SP up.

Kind of like how in SMTIV the first dungeon was the hardest by far.

Kalentan

I had also a lot of those frustrating moments as well in P4. I think your party needs a high resist chance against those spell if you hope to survive. But then again I think the rng is just shit sometimes.

Yeah, well it's a case that, sure I could have switched to a Persona with high physical resistance but I wasn't given the chance. The fight had just begun and Makoto went first and then the boss attacked and did his shit.

It didn't feel like I lost because I didn't play smart, it felt like I lost because the RNG decided that the boss would get a critical hit on the MC and then target the MC again on their "one more" move.

Hell, It wasn't as bad cause I still lived in the end but one enemy in Palace 5(?) actually wiped out my entire team but the MC. She got a fire weakness hit on Yusuke and then got a critical hit on Ryuji (which since it was an AoE killed Yusuke at this time) and then killed him and Makoto.

JMY86

A fucking cat bus!?
This is the my first Persona game and the most goofy, ridiculous game I have ever played. I am loving it so far...

Go_Ly_Dow

Oh wow. A lot more than I expected.

If you played on normal should you play on Hard then for NG+?

If you level the Nurse social link up to Level 5, she sells 3 SP accessories that restore SP upon that characters turn. You can get it pretty early on if you focus on her. If you level her up to 7 you can then buy the Level 3 SP accessory for 50k per.

Equipment for everyone or just the player character. Like when Makoto joins the party will she join with the endgame gear I had equipped on her?

Social link with Tae Takemi (the doctor), it unlocks at a fairly early rank but the good one costs 100k yen, if you rank up Tae a bit more you can get it down to 50k yen, which is fairly reasonable. I bought 4 of them just before the third dungeon and it made it so I never had to leave unless I hit a story roadblock that forces you to leave.

you can get it from the clinic after ranking up the death confidant

Yes.

How to get it:
Keep upping your death confidant rank and she'll start selling accessories that regen your SP. Once you get her up to rank 7 you'll be able to get them for half price.

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Letting go of your controller has nothing to do with it lol if that's what all the guides say they're all wrong. It's simply staying too long on the same floor. Don't know the exact time but 5 min + sounds about right.

EndMerit

Buchimaru-kun is such a cute name for a mascot character!

Really liking
Makoto's
S-Link so far. Luckily my knowledge rank was already high enough when I first talked to
her
, I thought you needed rank
4 or 5
based on how heartbroken people have been in this thread earlier.

Yeah, it's the hardest dungeon so far by far. Just finished 3rd one last night. The problem with the first one is that you gotta do it all in one go if you want to finish it in one night. The 2nd dungeon, they break it up in half for you. By the 3rd and onward, you're able get and afford items that help keep your SP up.

Kind of like how in SMTIV the first dungeon was the hardest by far.

That last hurdle in dungeon 3 was rough because it just kept going. Made several saves in a short period because you never know. Dungeon 6 onwards gets a bit challenging but dungeon 6 music is 😍

Kalentan

Letting go of your controller has nothing to do with it lol if that's what all the guides say they're all wrong. It's simply staying too long on the same floor. Don't know the exact time but 5 min + sounds about right.

5 min sounds too short. I've for sure been on floors for far longer than 5 min and never encountered it yet.

Mendrox

Really liking
Makoto's
S-Link so far. Luckily my knowledge rank was already high enough when I first talked to
her
4 or 5

Nya the heartbroken part comes at level 5

Hystzen

Sojiro gives you keys so you can go out a night

Morgana go to sleep your tired

Fuck off cat your not my dad even Sojiro didn't tell me go sleep this much

I'm over twelve hours into this game (about halfway through the second palace) and I'm absolutely loving it! Easily the most unique and stylish game I've played. I keep getting suggested videos on YouTube for how to get the most of this game but I've been ignoring them to not spoil anything. Is there anything that I really need to do or should I just keep doing whatever I choose each day?

Hung_real

Small spoiler on Social Stats
in November and i just realized you can draw phantom thief logo on the school board to get Guts, so much stats wasted ...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I just got to the scene where I first meet (July)
Futaba. That scene was fucking hilarious. Seeing her glasses behind Makoto and then promptly fleeing after Makoto's scream... I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes. Masterfully executed cheesy "horror" scene.

Wiseblood

Are there any repercussions to having multiple girlfriends like in Persona 4 Golden where on Valentine's Day they made you feel like a massive piece of shit for having multiple girlfriends?

Kolx

What is the best way to get money at mementos? I've 6 requests I'm gonna finish at one go but wonder if there's any suggestion on how to get the most money out of it.

PixelatedBookake

Small spoiler on Social Stats
in November and i just realized you can draw phantom thief logo on the school board to get Guts, so much stats wasted ...

Really??? Maybe I could have visited Iwai before November. Also that Dauntless Guts requirement at the near beginning of the game sucks so much ass.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
first palace down at 12 hours mark, level 10 (well 11 after), I dont think im rushing, but I thought I saw people talk about 17 or 20 hours in the first palace, but Persona seems like a game where you cant really fuck around like other rpgs, I mean you have your daily actions that you can do and thats about it, so I dunno.

until now I got rank 2 with Ryuji from hanging out with him once, I got my rank1 with the
bar motherfucker and the doctor lady
, I've been trying to get more with her but apparently I need guts for more, whats a good way?

Since I couldnt get more with her, I studied in the library for both knowledge and guts for a couple of days, and did lockpicks on those 2 nights because I wanted to open all the chests.

Then I went inside to grind a bit and open those chests, which I did, but I wasnt getting much xp at all even from the later guys (like 20 per group which wasnt helping much) so I ended up leaving, on sunday I went to get the special juice and then I did the calling card after that, and beat it.

I now have 6 days left until the deadline. Was that an ok use of time / progression? I wasnt sure what else to do really, its my first Persona game.

kromeo

Oh... I never played P3P as a female then, totally forgot about it... well... where is my PSP?

Yeah have a PS3, playing P5 on it :D -Sounds interesting, now the question is should I play as a female on my PSP or just play FES on my PS3...

Gotta finish P5 first either way though.

Very much worth playing imo, just bear in mind the way the dungeon is in P3 is going to feel like a massive step down from 5. The music, story and characters are actually all better though I think and it has a very different atmosphere to 4 and 5

I'd play FES over the psp version, the female character isn't worth the sacrifices it makes

Zafir

People so fast. I'm on 102 and feel I'm close to the end now.

Did you do mementos quest/ get to bottom of mementos?

I've done all the quests I was given besides two. I didn't explore the last section that opened up though, I was sick of Mementos.

Really liking
Makoto's
her
4 or 5

Just wait.

How big is Mementos, just wondering? I know Morgana swears their real self is at the bottom or whatever, but I haven't really been farming there besides requests. I'm in the third palace, which I'm really not feeling, yet but I know I'm somewhat underleveled because I'm prioritizing stats over optional dungeon crawling right now.

MTC100

Banned
Very much worth playing imo, just bear in mind the way the dungeon is in P3 is going to feel like a massive step down from 5. The music, story and characters are actually all better though I think and it has a very different atmosphere to 4 and 5

I know, it's a bit darker over all in theme, also the characters need to shoot themselves in the head to summon personas, love this ^^

How big is Mementos, just wondering? I know Morgana swears their real self is at the bottom or whatever, but I haven't really been farming there besides requests. I'm in the third palace, which I'm really not feeling, yet but I know I'm somewhat underleveled because I'm prioritizing stats over optional dungeon crawling right now.

I don't know, but I would be surprised if it had less underground stages than there are palaces. With each stage having 5-10(?) floors.

What is the best way to get money at mementos? I've 6 requests I'm gonna finish at one go but wonder if there's any suggestion on how to get the most money out of it.

To get the most money, just level up your speech skill with the politic man confident. When you'll try to get some money out of them, they'll ask you if you want to do it again. But watch out, because doing it too often can cause the negotiations to fail.

Okay... Can someone explain how the EXP works in this game?

I'm at the 4th dungeon, and I realised after beating some treasure demons that my MC only gained half of the exp that the battle result shows... what gives? How does this work? I play in HARD, not in challenge!

Hung_real

Really??? Maybe I could have visited Iwai before November. Also that Dauntless Guts requirement at the near beginning of the game sucks so much ass.

Wait...when can you do that? I'm in June and it doesn't seem to do anything.

maybe it gives out point at particular point of the story then ? (november spoiler)
when your approval rating plummeted & school is being investigated, the others student will comment on the drawing that maybe you were actually a delinquent like the rumor at the beginning suggested - you then gained 1 gut

grumble

I'm stuck on one request for mementos. Am I doing something wrong? I wanted to wait until I had 4-6 requests at once but I only have the one and it's been a number of weeks. I'm late may, second dungeon area.

Neoweee

Some musings on game length and difficulty levels:

1) People that finish the game within the first week will have way below average gameplay times, just as a matter of selection bias in who can actually finish the game in a very finite number of hours. This is a pretty systematic pattern you can see on HLTB, and is even more pronounced for very "long" games.

2) There's probably a fair bit of variance in game time associated with difficulty levels. Hard probably adds ~5-10 hours to the game time. Merciless probably adds 8-20 hours?

3) Merciless is probably just bad. It's supposed to be there as something to do on NG replay, where you use everything you've learned to eek out advantages little by little and plan out. In practice, it is essentially "Rush one specific Confidant to get great SP regeneration things, then grind a ton." Most games can pull off -60% experience game and still work as games, but Persona's explicit level-dependence in the damage algorithms, multiplied by the already high multiplier for Hard mode, leaves you unable to take hits from bosses. And so grinding is the only answer.

4) SP restoration ends up being even better on Merciless than it is on other difficulties. Not just because you need it to grind as much it makes you, but because you get way more mileage out of your spells due to the additional 3x multipler on weaknesses, and because you probably aren't taking damage during regular encounters and won't have to waste on healing.

Okay... Can someone explain how the EXP works in this game?

I realised my MC only gained half of the exp that the battle result shows... what gives? How does this work? I play in HARD, not in challenge!

There is curved EXP. A slight benefit for being under the enemy's level, and a penalty for being over the enemy's level, relative to what is shown on the victory screen.

Other Persona games showed you scaled numbers, but P5 masks it a bit.

KorrZ

Am I literally just wasting time if I'm not trying to raise skill points during their "boost" effects?

E.g. studying in the rain at night/diner.

I've studied at night several times, got all the classroom questions right and still level 1 Knowledge. Meanwhile, I went to the Bathhouse on a Monday night once and instantly hit level 2 Charm.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Grabbed the steel book from Best Buy yesterday and played for about three hours last night. Really liking it so far. Looks great and interesting set up so far.

Kolx

To get the most money, just level up your speech skill with the politic man confident. When you'll try to get some money out of them, they'll ask you if you want to do it again. But watch out, because doing it too often can cause the negotiations to fail.

I already have this ability and tried it multiple times in the palaces. I can barely collect 100k from one day while fighting almost every enemy in the palace. Some people here said they managed to collect +500k from mementos in one go. How do they even do that? or is it easier to collect money at mementos than in palaces?

CHC

Bought this today.

I REALLY need to cool it with buying new, full price games but whatever I guess, the deed is done.

I already have this ability and tried it multiple times in the palaces. I can barely collect 100k from one day while fighting almost every enemy in the palace. Some people here said they managed to collect +500k from mementos in one go. How do they even do that? or is it easier to collect money at mementos than in palaces?

Hum, can't tell. Maybe they have a place where some types of monsters gives more cash than others and farm that place ...

asagami_

Banned
I wonder how many games Atlus will make with their new Demons' assets. On PS2 we had 8? games using the same monsters.

Well, was:

- Shi Megami Tensei 3 (Vailla, Maiax and the special edition)
- Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
- Raidou Kuzunoha 1 & 2
- Persona 3 (Vanilla, FES, Portable)
- Persona 4 (Vanilla, Golden)

And regarding you question, I guess the models will be reused for the SMT HD Project. Check out the movements, especially for Pixie and Jack Frost, is the same we see in the Switch trailer.

It's big let's leave it at that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom