• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

So I've been grinding for a few hours in Mementos trying to nab a particular Persona. Decided to go make myself some breakfast/coffee (you see where this is going...). I'm pouring some hot sauce on my meal and I hear battle sounds. Oh hey, it's probably a random Regent that jumped my team or something! Free XP. So I went and checked...

shocked-animated-rowa4xkmf.gif

Is the reaper in this game?

LiK

The saving grace is how easy it is to jump in and knock out a handful of requests in one go. I just go once in between story dungeons and level up, get more cash, and usually some good items and Personas and it's relatively painless. But I have no desire to spend much time in there.

Yea, so far I'm only going in there to complete Requests. I'm more invested in the main story at the moment. Want to complete that and then go for Platinum/True Ending in NG+. Playing this the exact way I played P4G.

The saving grace is how easy it is to jump in and knock out a handful of requests in one go. I just go once in between story dungeons and level up, get more cash, and usually some good items and Personas and it's relatively painless. But I have no desire to spend much time in there.

I usually aim to have about 3-4 before I go in. Missed a bunch of requests so might need a guide if I do decide to do them all next time around.

Khoryos

You should probably gain 50 or 60 more levels before attempting to take it on.

I hear there's a way to cheese it courtesy of some weather conditions - but it requires being able to survive three turns, which I don't feel entirely confident in.

daveo42

Banned
So I've been grinding for a few hours in Mementos trying to nab a particular Persona. Decided to go make myself some breakfast/coffee (you see where this is going...). I'm pouring some hot sauce on my meal and I hear battle sounds. Oh hey, it's probably a random Regent that jumped my team or something! Free XP. So I went and checked...

I worry about that when I'm just exploring...worried I'd get into a fight I knew I couldn't win during a long mementos run.

nOoblet16

Wait does it come after you if you stay on one specific floor for too long or if you just stay in Mementos for too long?

it's on any floor you stay on too long for. Resets on a new floor.
IIRC you actually need to stay still for 5 minutes, he won't spawn if you are moving around even if you stay on the same level for like 30-60 minutes. Which kind of makes this thing pointless as you probably will almost never be standing still for 5 minutes in Mementos. And if you are then you are probably busy with something else and can't play.

Final playtime for my first playthrough clocked in at about 67 hours. I have no idea how people spent 100+ hours on one one playthrough

Yeah I'm 60 hours in what I'm considering is the final dungeon so yeah 100 hours seems drastic. Will surely reach that time on my second playthrough though.

More importantly IIRC in the previous games if they weren't going to let you do anything at night they just skipped right to the next day rather than give you an opportunity to walk around and be constantly told that you can't do anything except go to bed.

It's just there to let you save your game or check in with the TV.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's off to chance because it's RNG behind RNG behind RNG. First you need the boss to be vulnerable to co fuse, second you need confuse to stick and thirdly you need him to actually throw money and not just stand there or throw shitty items at you.

Would take too much time.
The boss I fought in the second area was getting hit on my first try (manager or something) but it's such a slow process and I just can't do it anymore.

Final playtime for my first playthrough clocked in at about 67 hours. I have no idea how people spent 100+ hours on one one playthrough

Geez. I'm at 55 hours and I just started the fourth dungeon. And I'm not even really grinding or anything, just being very thorough while exploring the dungeons and Mementos.

Domstercool

IIRC you actually need to stay still for 5 minutes, he won't spawn if you are moving around even if you stay on the same level for like 30-60 minutes. Which kind of makes this thing pointless as you probably will almost never be standing still for 5 minutes in Mementos. And if you are then you are probably busy with something else and can't play.

It's just how long you are outside of battle. It will come when driving around.

MSMrRound

Actually it's pretty easy to avoid the [optional fight]
reaper

If you feel you have been exploring on the same floor for too long and hear that sound, you can always toggle R1 to go up and down one level (provided you got both the entrance and exit discovered)

Lol
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey, one is always aware that it lies in wait."

Rarius

Am I like, super over levelled, or does Mementos just kinda suck for XP? Even the 'hard' enemies, ones with tons of health or resistances only give like, max? 100 XP. I'm level 22 after the second dungeon and I want to be 25 for the next Velvet Room checkpoint, but jeeeze.

I began a Mementos boss fight that, after Makoto's first attack, the boss did Rampage, got a critical on my main character and then hit him again and killed him...

It was like... I could have done nothing to prevent the attack. The fight had literally just begun. No one else was dead...

I had also a lot of those frustrating moments as well in P4. I think your party needs a high resist chance against those spell if you hope to survive. But then again I think the rng is just shit sometimes.

nOoblet16

I hear there's a way to cheese it courtesy of some weather conditions - but it requires being able to survive three turns, which I don't feel entirely confident in.
I'm not sure if this is a spoiler as it's a gameplay ability that you can inflict on anyone but
during flu period the enemies have a chance of starting the fight with despair already inflicted on them. Despair would results in enemy just standing still and doing nothing until their eventual suicide.

Am I like, super over levelled, or does Mementos just kinda suck for XP? Even the 'hard' enemies, ones with tons of health or resistances only give like, max? 100 XP. I'm level 22 after the second dungeon and I want to be 25 for the next Velvet Room checkpoint, but jeeeze.

it definitely gives worse xp than palaces in my experience

daveo42

Banned
Man...finishing a dungeon in one go is a great feeling. Cash in the bank and three weeks to rank up some Confidants and skills.

How the hell did you get through the game that fast? I'm closing in at 60 hours and I'm right before the 4th palace boss.

PixelatedBookake

Hey so in 11/20
Did anyone else think they had gotten a bad end and not the actual story? I just kept waiting for the game to cut to the credits after Akechi walked away.
How that whole plan worked was genius and made me really appreciate these characters, especially Futaba and Morgana.

LiK

You just left it idling? I would go into Menu so it stays paused.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was finally able to start this wonderful game this weekend. It's amazing.

I love Morgana.

I was able to get through the first dungeon. Whew that took forever.

Man...finishing a dungeon in one go is a great feeling. Cash in the bank and three weeks to rank up some Confidants and skills.

How the hell did you get through the game that fast? I'm closing in at 60 hours and I'm right before the 4th palace boss.

Didn't really explore mementos much if I didn't need something on a floor, but other than that nothing special?

What you are saying is only true for enemies that you have already fought though, for new enemies whose attacks you don't know (like that Mementos boss the dude was talking about) you can't really match your persona to negate their damage before you actually know what kind of attacks they have. And the only way to know their strength and weakness is by fighting them but if the fight is over in the first move itself made by the enemy then how was he suppose to switch to a persona to negate it? That's the BS he was talking about.

Regardless of all that, game over because MC dies should not have been a thing.

Well this is the best SMT game for handling this problem yet.
The first time you are introduced to enemies with one shot kills, you'll have just visited a safe room
- New players will likely go "WTF"
- Experienced players switch their MC personas to light/dark resistant for that area

Either way the introduction to these mechanics is not meant to be punishing.
The game will constantly use this two step formula
1. Safe point
2. Followed by really strong enemy you probably want to run away from, or use special and more resource demanding tactics

Other examples
- Eligor in D1, you'll wanna use sleep spells to handle one at a time
- Big elephant thing in D5, you will really want to use some defensive options for your MC here

Regarding MC death = wipe. For persona it makes sense that his death causes a wipe, since he is the most powerful member of the team, he's kinda like your king & queen simultaneously. There are many ways to prevent your main characters death by properly taking advantage of persona fusion systems

Amazing.

Best way to level up in mementos is doing request and beating the mini boss.

Khoryos

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler as it's a gameplay ability that you can inflict on anyone but
during flu period the enemies have a chance of starting the fight with despair already inflicted on them. Despair would results in enemy just standing still and doing nothing until their eventual suicide.

Oh, they don't act at all? I've not actually used that ailment yet.

It's bullshit when they do something you can't avoid, like at the start of the battle. Or when randoms use Mudo at a point when you don't have any defense against that. Or just when they keep all targeting only the MC for no reason beside bad luck.
Do I even have to explain this.

Lowest Justice Persona you can create is around Level 11 which is pretty close to about the first point in the game where you will probably encounter an enemy capable of inflicting Mudo.

Weebos

Banned
I'm in early November and I'm a little under 60 hours currently.

From what I hear I am close to the end, close enough that I don't expect to hit 100 hours at least.

Anyone know what the "Exp" number on the result screen is referring to. At first I thought it was referring the experience that MC was receiving, which is how I think it worked in P3/4, but my MC is receiving a tiny fraction of what is shown on that screen.

I'm thinking that maybe the number is the total is shared amongst the whole party.

I'm just glad I noticed because I would have spent way too long in Mementos trying to get my character to the next level.

nOoblet16

It's just how long you are outside of battle. It will come when driving around.
But every video and written guide on how to spawn him that I've come across specifically mentions that you need to let go of your controller for 5 minutes in order to spawn him. Even the wikis for Reaper says that he will only spawn when the player is standing still.

daveo42

Banned
Didn't really explore mementos much if I didn't need something on a floor, but other than that nothing special?

Ah...that makes more sense. Mementos runs can eat up a good bit of time depending on why you're there. The quests are super easy to complete and it's a great place to spend one in-game day just farming money once between palace missions.

I was finally able to start this wonderful game this weekend. It's amazing.

I love Morgana.

I was able to get through the first dungeon. Whew that took forever.

The hardest dungeon for me. Was the only dungeon I had to quit early because I just had no sp to go further. I'm jealous of my brother because he uses any item when he plays RPGs but here I am with a bunch of full so items that I refuse to use even at the last dungeon.

Morgana is the animal with a voice done right. Poor teddie had to be the experiment for them to reach a good product,

Jintor

But every video and written guide on how to spawn him that I've come across specifically mentions that you need to let go of your controller for 5 minutes in order to spawn him. Even the wikis for Reaper says that he will only spawn when the player is standing still.

i'm calling bullshit. i got lost on a momentos floor because i didn't see a door and he turned up even while i was trundling around

Ah...that makes more sense. Mementos runs can eat up a good bit of time depending on why you're there. The quests are super easy to complete and it's a great place to spend one in-game day just farming money once between palace missions.

I mean, I did usually go as far down in mementos as I could each visit even when there were no requests anymore, but one run was generally sufficient to get enough money until the next palace in my experience

Domstercool

That's just to make it easier to get to you. No need to drive around if you want to fight it, let it come to you instead. :D

*sound of rattling chains*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom