• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

i actually like having to figure out ways to dogpile on anubis.

hitting weaknesses of foes to toss the baton to yusuke and inflict massive damage with one of goemon's severe+baton toss moves is fun

this is how I was dealing with them too. Wasn't really using Yusuke at all before then. Although I'd describe it more as 'PANIC' than 'fun', I've had too many bad Mudo experiences in SMT games.

I also got a lot of mileage out of Headbutt and Miracle Punch. The former seals their skills and the latter crits pretty often. Them throwing in no-weakness enemies starting with the third dungeon has me looking a bit more closely at status effects, for sure.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Something tells me the fifth palace is not even the worst one yet.
Seventh is the worst. BUT it makes up for its annoying design with a great atmosphere and the best in-dungeon story segments in the game so far.

Curufinwe

I finished the first palace last night, and so far it's been easier for me than P3 or P4. Being able to almost always get an ambush on regular shadows made running the dungeon pretty simple, and when I got to the final save point and
located the treasure
I was able to level up for a while even though I was out of SP. So I was level 11 for the boss fight, two levels higher than the average according to the Thieves Guild.

Wait, the Phantom Thieves have to deal with a
cheater in some arcade?
For real?

That's like a huge turnaround from the previous cases.

Zafir

this is how I was dealing with them too. Wasn't really using Yusuke at all before then. Although I'd describe it more as 'PANIC' than 'fun', I've had too many bad Mudo experiences in SMT games.

I also got a lot of mileage out of Headbutt and Miracle Punch. The former seals their skills and the latter crits pretty often. Them throwing in no-weakness enemies starting with the third dungeon has me looking a bit more closely at status effects, for sure.

Yeah.

I've been using Miracle punch a lot. Miracle Punch into Rising Slash(or the upgraded version) is really good for enemies which don't have a weakness. Anubis is far from the last enemy which doesn't have a weakness, every dungeon tends to have at least one over-leveled shadow that doesn't have a weakness and can obliterate you with its attacks.

nOoblet16

Jesus christ this last part of the 5th palace keeps kicking my ass.
For that fight,
It's good to have the ability to swap party members mid fight, that way you can match the weakness as the fight progresses. For the final part you just have to buff/debuff, then hit him with powerful attacks and guard when the big bang burger challenge is charging up. It's good to have the item that recovers 200HP for everyone in party. Putting his attack down before the big attack and reducing his defense after (and increasing your attack if you can) means you can do large amount of damage.

It's good to have Ryuji and Yusuke along with Ann (she was the only one with reduce enemy attack debuff for me) for the final part as the two guys do massive damage, even more if you get a critical and do baton pass. But Ryuji and Yusuke are rather crap for the parts before where you would instead want Makoto, Morgana and Haru.

Also if you are inflicted with hunger then you actually gain health from big bang burger challenge

Geez,
Mishima
is such a little piece of shit that it's a real struggle to spend time with him. But his confidant perks are so good. Talk about a dilemma...

marmoka

Banned
Looking at the animations of my Jack Frost Persona, I realized his animation is the same we can see in the Shin Megami Tensei HD Project trailer. Atlus is using the same 3D models for that game, as expected.

Oh boy, the demon 3D models in Persona 5 are awesome!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Something I think P5 does really well is create truly flawed characters. Not just little quirks that they end up resolving, but actual, realistic character flaws that they have to rely on others to keep in check. Ryuji's impulsiveness is obviously the most glaring example, but you notice it in pretty much everyone. Ann is nice but can be a bit of a whiny person and even a little self centered at times, Yusuke is extremely eloquent but can come off as a bit cold, Futaba is a sheltered girl whose lack of social tact is understandable but still very much a problem at times, Morgana can be condescending in a way that he doesn't seem entirely aware of, etc. etc. It feels very organic, and the team plays off of each other's strengths to fill in the gaps their weaknesses give them.

Persona 4 did something similar, but P5 perfects the idea, or at least realizes it more fully. Even the confidants are like this. Mishima is always willing to help but is way too laser-focused and overbearing, relying on the protagonist to be his straight man of sorts.

Without spoiling anything, the villains in the game show the reverse idea too; that scumbags have traces of redeeming qualities/and or sympathetic motivations for what they've become. For a game with an anime aesthetic, the characters are all surprisingly three dimensional.

Jintor

haha holy crap hifumi is so much more interesting now that I can understand her lmao

fucking chuunibyou-ass shogi masters lmao

Banned
I just wanna say I am enjoying this game so god dammed much and spending too much time being mesmerized by the UI. That's it! I am running away now

kewlmyc

Wanted to do do a complete confidant playthrough in order to see everything the game had to offer the first time around, however it's more stressful completing all the dungeons in one go and making sure I have the right personas with me at all times than I realized. I saved perfect runs for my 2nd playthrough on P3 and P4. Might just have to make room in my life for a 2nd playthrough because it's really killing my enjoyment of the game.

DNAbro

For that fight,
It's good to have the ability to swap party members mid fight, that way you can match the weakness as the fight progresses. For the final part you just have to buff/debuff, then hit him with powerful attacks and guard when the big bang burger challenge is charging up. It's good to have the item that recovers 200HP for everyone in party. Putting his attack down before the big attack and reducing his defense after (and increasing your attack if you can) means you can do large amount of damage.

It's good to have Ryuji and Yusuke along with Ann (she was the only one with reduce enemy attack debuff for me) for the final part as the two guys do massive damage, even more if you get a critical and do baton pass. But Ryuji and Yusuke are rather crap for the parts before where you would instead want Makoto, Morgana and Haru.

Also if you are inflicted with hunger then you actually gain health from big bang burger challenge

as a note, I'm not reading this because I assume I haven't gotten there yet. I just mean the last part of the palace before any bosses. I keep getting wiped by random mobs.

nOoblet16

as a note, I'm not reading this because I assume I haven't gotten there yet. I just mean the last part of the palace before any bosses. I keep getting wiped by random mobs.
This is before sending the calling card?
It might be worth spending some time in the velvet room to experiment with personas. I was having big issues earlier in that Dungeness then I spent like 40-50 mins making powerful personas with AoE buffs/debuffs and making sure I get as much resistance as possible.

SolVanderlyn

i do wish i could just dial-a-persona out of my phone. Having to drop in on Igor is a few button presses too many
Seriously, he even makes apps. Igor be slackin'.

Mendrox

Which Memento Exp trick are you guys talking about?

It's around November I think (when the flu season starts)

For fast level up:

Go to Mementos when it's flu season. Wait for 5 minutes on a floor. Fight the reaper. The reaper will be in despair and after 3 turns he will be dead and give you massive EXP. Level 70 - 99 in about 20 minutes

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
i do wish i could just dial-a-persona out of my phone. Having to drop in on Igor is a few button presses too many

Even fast traveling directly to the velvet room instead of the door would have been better.

Having a velvet room in the house or right outside the house in that alley and a velvet room in the house would have been so nice.

Why the fuck is it in Shibuya. It's a train ride to get there.

Yusuke really is the best guy in the game. I got a few good smile out of his lines.

It's either he's too dense or just trolling most of the times.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's around November I think (when the flu season starts)

For fast level up:

Go to Mementos when it's flu season. Wait for 5 minutes on a floor. Fight the reaper. The reaper will be in despair and after 3 turns he will be dead and give you massive EXP. Level 70 - 99 in about 20 minutes

Lmao this seems like a total oversight. But the idea of
the grim reaper getting depressed and killing himself
is pretty funny.

Holy shit (palace 5 enemy)
I got Girimehkala to beg for mercy despite being 5 levels lower than him and now I have a Lv44 behemoth with Mudoon and Swift Strike.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What does a 'technical' move signify btw? I keep getting it when I fight the red oni shadows but I haven't figured out what it does.

A special combo basically. Like using a Wind attack on an enemy suffering from Burn.

There's a tutorial section on it you can read, I would recommend everyone look through that whole menu in general since it explains quite a few things in detail the game passes over, like enemy mood types and the negotiation options each one likes/dislikes.

Weiss

Banned
Was gonna take a break before I start NG+ but honestly there's nothing else I want to play so time to do it all over again.

Something I think P5 does really well is create truly flawed characters. Not just little quirks that they end up resolving, but actual, realistic character flaws that they have to rely on others to keep in check. Ryuji's impulsiveness is obviously the most glaring example, but you notice it in pretty much everyone. Ann is nice but can be a bit of a whiny person and even a little self centered at times, Yusuke is extremely eloquent but can come off as a bit cold, Futaba is a sheltered girl whose lack of social tact is understandable but still very much a problem at times, Morgana can be condescending in a way that he doesn't seem entirely aware of, etc. etc. It feels very organic, and the team plays off of each other's strengths to fill in the gaps their weaknesses give them.

Persona 4 did something similar, but P5 perfects the idea, or at least realizes it more fully. Even the confidants are like this. Mishima is always willing to help but is way too laser-focused and overbearing, relying on the protagonist to be his straight man of sorts.

Without spoiling anything, the villains in the game show the reverse idea too; that scumbags have traces of redeeming qualities/and or sympathetic motivations for what they've become. For a game with an anime aesthetic, the characters are all surprisingly three dimensional.

I know, I love the cast of the game so damn much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom