• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
Me too, i'm so hooked.

Fucking 50 hours in, over just a few days. Haven't done that with a game since World of Warcraft.
These two weeks off were timed perfectly.

I put 63 hours in over the past week and I'm still going to my day job. I've lost quite a bit of sleep that I hope to make up sometime next week. Maybe I'll just sleep for an entire week after all this is done.

I always save before fusing.

I learned the hard way when trying to fuse for the Strength S-Link and I got a failed fusion.

I've yet to get a failed fusion. Been waiting for that to happen, especially on the strength fusions.

Jiraiza

This is not the boss to do that with IMO. There's another one earlier in the area that you can confuse every time with a 100% rate. The guy with the spear.

The boyfriend shadow? Yeah, I was on him earlier, but I had a full party and it was taking too long cycling through 4 characters the entire time.

Weebos

Banned
He's also (light midgame spoilers)
Unbelievably cruel towards Morgana. I basically hate him now.

I don't think he is intentionally being as mean as he is, he just doesn't realize that what he is saying hurts Morgana as much as it does. He's careless and stupid, but not actively malicious.

I find the side characters to be better in this one than 3 or 4. Besides Dojima and Nanako, I found the other characters to be pretty forgettable in 4 and if you count those two as main cast characters then it's even more lopsided in favor of 5.

nOoblet16

10/30 Palace 6 spoilers
Hoo boyyy...This Goro dude is powerful as fuck and he is on a whole another level damage wise. But still, something is not sitting right with me here.

Me too, i'm so hooked.

Fucking 50 hours in, over just a few days. Haven't done that with a game since World of Warcraft.
These two weeks off were timed perfectly.

I'm about 30 Hrs in and the game has gotten me in its grasp. I didn't play at all yesterday since I was at college until 9-9:30 and I was too tired to care about anything... I played almost all of Sunday too.

I actually have been addicted to a few games this year (Zelda, Yakuza 0, NieR: Automata), but it really is going to hurt Persona 5 since it's getting toward the end of the semester and I have the whole crunch time looming far as school work goes.

I find the side characters to be better in this one than 3 or 4. Besides Dojima and Nanako, I found the other characters to be pretty forgettable in 4 and if you count those two as main cast characters then it's even more lopsided in favor of 5.

I'd definitely agree with that in my time playing the game so far. I think the social links are better integrated in the game as well far as what you are getting for your time invested. There seems to be more benefit in trying to max out each social link this time around than in other Persona games, even though I maxed them out in P4G back in the day.

Setsu00

Never expect this kind of reference in my weebs game

Quotes like this one were scattered all over the place in Catherine and it's not like this series isn't heavily based on Jungian psychology to the point that most gameplay and story elements in its modern entries can be traced back to that or something.

Curufinwe

A good Sojiro tip is if you won't progress on a day with him, brew some coffee; it builds points and gets you an SP item.

And some nights it's the only thing you can do. That happened after I got back from finishing the first dungeon or the night before; Morgana wouldn't let me read or watch a DVD, but I could make coffee.

HMD

Dojima and Nanako are something else though, I literally felt connected to those two. The characters in P5 are fun and I really like most of them, but I don't feel the same connection I felt for Nanako and Dojima. But I'm still at the 5th palace so who knows, maybe things will change.

Toki767

Nah
that cat has agency. When you shit on somebody for months and get all sensitive when he starts firing back? Fuck outta here.

This is my thoughts on it too.
Morgana's been insulting Ryuji right from the start. Although Ryuji does basically become the butt of everyone's jokes/insults.

Curufinwe

Never expect this kind of reference in my weebs game

When I read the manual I kind of groaned when I read that (manual spoilers, lol)

there is another young detective. Hopefully he's not too much like Naoto. She was great, but I'd like him to be a very different character.

Taruranto

Finished Palace 3, it was the best one design wise. I liked the lack of save rooms coupled with the sorta-metroidvania design.

On other hand, I need Charm 4 and Proficiency 4 to finish Yusuke and the Doc. At least I should have Temperance to 10 soon.

Ryuji is the dumbest mother fucker on the planet.

To be fair the party happily discussing their phantom thief business in the middle of the station are not better.

So is there a good low-level persona that has a psy or nuke skill that can down (but not kill) the lvl 10 regent treasure gem enemies so I can get one added to my compendium completion %? My lowest level one is level 12 and it instantly kills them.

*confuse a Mementos boss*

Alright, let's see how much it-

*it drops 80,000 Yen*

*steeples fingers in front of face*

Hrmmm.

I never even try to use status ailments on bosses (and minibosses) because I assume they'll fail. This works?

P5 improved a lot of things over P4, but something they didn't really address was how romancing a character affects events and dialogue outside of specific romance scenes.

On one end, I like that there's not too much emphasis put towards this, as a player could feel they were left out if they didn't romance anyone, and it'd probably become really complicated to design, depending on how many people you romance, dialogue choices, etc. But, on the other, it always feels like this secret relationship that can't be mentioned to anyone else, and doesn't make sense with certain story-important interactions.

It'd probably be really hard to improve upon this, but it's one aspect of the game which clearly has room for it.

I honestly think it wouldn't be that hard to add just a liiiiittle bit of Confidant level overlap with the main story if they could be bothered to do it.

Hypothetical (not a real spoiler):

During a main narrative conversation on 9/9, a single little exchange could take place given a variety of parameters. Morgana (whose Confidant is hard locked to a date) mentions how close you are with [Romantic Partner Team Member (if true) > Highest Ranked Team Member Over Rank 7 (if true) > Highest Ranked Non-Team Member Over Rank 7 (if true) > "You're not easy to get to know." (if all above are false)]. Just stuff like that sprinkled more liberally through the main narrative would do so much for the feeling of a cohesive world.

On the other end, insert a single line into Confidant scenes about where you are in the main narrative to make those scenes feel so removed from time. "Hanging out with you is a blast. Hopefully we get more time after we conquer [character relative to date's] palace."

LiK

Yeesh, some of the Memento bosses takes extra steps to complete. Kinda cool but I also find it annoying since it takes up days.

nOoblet16

The game has some pacing problems in the last quarter of the game I think, some characters are introduced way too late and their confidant unlocks even later. I mean starting to level up from rank 1 so late in the game is kind of shit when you'd rather spend that time to max out your other confidants who are close to rank 10.

I think the social links are better integrated in the game as well far as what you are getting for your time invested. There seems to be more benefit in trying to max out each social link this time around than in other Persona games, even though I maxed them out in P4G back in the day.
The backstories for the characters are more intriguing at least for the ones I've encountered so far. Some kids like the superficial blonde girl and the volleyball kid in 4 were pretty much worthless.

Dojima and Nanako are something else though, I literally felt connected to those two. The characters in P5 are fun and I really like most of them, but I don't feel the same connection I felt for Nanako and Dojima. But I'm still at the 5th palace so who knows, maybe things will change.
I'm in full agreement about Dojima and Nanako, that's why I'm hesitant to call them mere side characters. I'm just giving them that designation because you don't control them.

Just started yesterday, and I'm on my way of making it through the first palace. Here's a question!

So I have 14 days to do this, right? If I finish the palace much sooner, does the game then skip ahead the remaining days or do they all continue to play out without any main story progress? Basically, if you finish the palace early, do you miss out on time to build your stats and strengthen your bonds?

Just started yesterday, and I'm on my way of making it through the first palace. Here's a question!

So I have 14 days to do this, right? If I finish the palace much sooner, does the game then skip ahead the remaining days or do they all continue to play out without any main story progress? Basically, if you finish the palace early, do you miss out on time to build your stats and strenghen your bonds?
No, you still get the alotted time. You can use those days to do whatever you want.

Toki767

So I have 14 days to do this, right? If I finish the palace much sooner, does the game then skip ahead the remaining days or do they all continue to play out without any main story progress? Basically, if you finish the palace early, do you miss out on time to build your stats and strenghen your bonds?

Make sure you set aside at least 3 days if you don't plan on doing the Palace until near the end.

But if you do the Palace right away, you don't lose days.

Where are my 20th anniversary themes atlus? The character themes are nice and all but I need those amazing themes with Life Will Change playing in the background!

Hikami

So is there a good low-level persona that has a psy or nuke skill that can down (but not kill) the lvl 10 regent treasure gem enemies so I can get one added to my compendium completion %? My lowest level one is level 12 and it instantly kills them.
You could just use an item that does 50 nuke/psy damage. You can make them from the infiltration tools menu thing. Not sure how else to get them.

nOoblet16

Also have her as a love interest.

Gave me proper treatment in my room.
She is the only one who doesn't come across as stereotypical anime shy/submissive when you get to know her better (or pretends to be submissive like the maid). Nor does she come across as the opposite of that seen in anime i.e. domineering but rather just mature and normal. So she was the natural choice.

The only problem with her is that because she is a side character you most likely don't get an extra moments outside of the ones you spend time ranking up or valentine's day.

Ydelnae

Fourth palace plot question

When Sojiro was explaining to the group his relation to Futaba, did he say that he and her mother were a couple? I remember him saying that he met Futaba's mom when she was already pregnant, but I don't know if it was implied that Sojiro and Futaba's mother were actually romantically involved.

Toki767

Fourth palace plot question

When Sojiro was explaining to the group his relation to Futaba, did he say that he and her mother were a couple? I remember him saying that he met Futaba's mom when she was already pregnant, but I don't know if it was implied that Sojiro and Futaba's mother were actually romantically involved.

That's how I understood it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So to get rid of the annoying "no screenshots" message after trophies, do I have to completely disable the trophy-screenshots, or is it enough to disable the blocked scenes notification?

Catvoca

Banned
What sort of bonus are you actually getting when you have a Persona of the same arcana as the confidant you're spending time with? Is it just like an extra "point" towards your friendship?

Lusankya

What sort of bonus are you actually getting when you have a Persona of the same arcana as the confidant you're spending time with? Is it just like an extra "point" towards your friendship?

Every time you would get relationship points you will get one more. Can be the difference between getting another rank up the very next time or to have to spend time with the confidant before another rank up.

(Mid September spoilers)
Morgana is way way too prideful, it's not Ryuji's fault he took it hard especially when he's been doing it to Ryuji for months. It all started with him being jealous of Futaba, anyway. It really adds to the character. I don't remember Teddie getting much characterization in comparison.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Only 60 hours in. Not going to hang around here in case of accidental spoilers but I want to say...

I was not a fan of Persona.

Persona PSP single-handedly ruined the franchise for me.
And after playing Breath of the Wild, I was sure that it would be the only GOTY (maybe Mario Odyssey but idk)

But. Persona 5.

Persona 5 brought me out of that dark hole and shown me the light.
Best JRPG I've played in a while. Everything about this game frigging amazing.
Not only is the gameplay, its like I'm also watching very long interesting anime.

Persona 5 has stolen my heart. This and Breath of the Wild are now at the very top for me.

I guess my only problem with the game is that
FUCK YOU MORGANA YOU STUPID CAT, I SWEAR I'LL THROW YOU AND YOUR SLEEP FETISH OUT THE WINDOW. LET ME DO WHAT I WANT!!!11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom