• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
You know what I don't really get.

The MC has a voice actor since he talks in battle.

So it seems weird for them to not just have the MC speak in general.

Same. I understand the idea behind the silent protagonist and if the character doesn't talk we (the players) can ascribe personalities/attributes to him. But in the end I wish the MC was a full fledged character like everyone else.

FluxWaveZ

You know what I don't really get.

The MC has a voice actor since he talks in battle.

So it seems weird for them to not just have the MC speak in general.

They're playing that weird middle ground. I bet they're not even quite sure how far they want to go in either direction. There are scenes in the game where he could clearly say something quick like "Yeah," but he instead gives this P4MC style throat sound that kinda seems silly.

The Atlus consumer survey they released a few months before P5's Japanese release included a question on whether people preferred a silent protagonist they could transfer their own personality into, or a protagonist with a background who talked. Might inform their games moving forward.

I at least like how the P5MC feels like his own character in this game, like he has a place in this world, instead of simply being this blank avatar everyone clings onto like in P3 and P4.

Toki767

It's even weirder in the Japanese version where the MC is "voiced" by one of the most prolific voice actors in Japan.

But yeah, it's to allow the player to insert his thoughts into the MC, which again is kind of stupid since the MC in this one has an established backstory anyway.

Same. I understand the idea behind the silent protagonist and if the character doesn't talk we (the players) can ascribe personalities/attributes to him. But in the end I wish the MC was a full fledged character like everyone else.

Western RPGs have shown that you can still choose what you want the MC to say. Just record multiple lines.

I think that would really help in taking Persona up another level.

R0ckman

Is it a theme in this series to have the old analyst battle guy get replaced when you get an improved version? In this it seems like its all shared between Mona,
Futaba
and
Makoto
. Wasn't Teddie straight up replaced?

Diablos54

Finally finished the first castle, 11 hours in. The first time I left it till the last day not knowing I had to first
send the calling card
, so I had to redo practically the whole damn thing again! But apart from that (and the whole MC dies it's game over BS) I'm loving it so far!

Reszo

Prob late game spoiler question

When did everyone start getting the side characters ultimate personas/Rank 10 confidants.

R0ckman

Western RPGs have shown that you can still choose what you want the MC to say. Just record multiple lines.

I think that would really help in taking Persona up another level.

Issue with this is how all the lines are read. I think this middle ground thing is good for this series. Especially when most of the voice acting is actually a few one liners that aren't fully what the text is saying.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
every time i get to a dungeon i want to put the game down

even on SAFETY too much of the game is boring dungeon crawling... they really need to introduce VN mode

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
It wasn't? I thought it was sidetracked or something, cause that teaser had 0 hints about thievery and stealing hearts.

The teaser had zero hints about anything. It was some chairs with chains attached to them along with the tagline.

That's it.

Toki767

every time i get to a dungeon i want to put the game down

even on SAFETY too much of the game is boring dungeon crawling... they really need to introduce VN mode

I was kind of hoping New Game+ would allow you to skip all the dungeons.

I just want to see all the Social Link stuff lol

Neoweee

To be fair, the game never tells you that you need to set aside what amounts to 3 days to complete a dungeon.

They just tell you a deadline.

Yup. It is directly contradictory to how things worked in P3 and P4. P3 even made sure you couldn't save before a Full Moon at any point after you can't get back into Tartarus to grind.

P5 should cut you off the moment you are unable to complete a dungeon in time. Something like, "Hey, what are you doing? There's NO WAY we can finish the Palace before X happens now!" And then it skips ahead, Game Overs you, and then goes back.

How hard would that be? As it exists now, it is just begging people to waste their time. It is a giant design flaw.

I just beat that one last night. What part is giving you trouble?

Not so much trouble just keep getting wiped by the big bang burger thing. I avoid it but I kept getting hit the debuffs right before. It's not too difficult but it is a bit annoying first time i've died to a boss too.

Hikami

To be fair, the game never tells you that you need to set aside what amounts to 3 days to complete a dungeon.

It shows it in the calendar. The 3 days for the deadline are flashing red.

I think the game at least tells you the calendar exists so it kinda tells you.

DKL

Some observations on Merciless now that I've done the third dungeon:

Despite getting around 100 EXP for every encounter, I still kinda have to do the 2-3 level grind to get at the boss...

But I guess it was different in the third boss (
bank level with that mafia guy
) because there wasn't necessarily a skill I needed in order to overcome the fight and it was more of a matter of getting my DPS and defense up.

In particular, DPS is important for the the part of the fight where
the boss gets on top of the ball and starts rolling it... you need to hit him off the thing, but apparently you can sacrifice an expensive items of yours to get a free 2 turns worth of damage on the ball and Agilao and medium nuclear attack wasn't completely necessary, though I should have used it more since I ended up wasting 2 items
and defense is important because
during my test run, only MC and Makoto could withstand the ball roll and not get knocked out lol
... I did find a good Persona to do the fight with that nullifies attack, guns and
curse
, but it was interesting that some attacks still hit me, so I assume they're classed as almighty or some random element something.

Boss was long as fuck though (possibly because I wasn't exploiting a weakness since I didn't bother to experiment too much). I even saw a move I didn't see in my test run, which I guess was expected, but it got dicey for a minute.

Anyway, what I'm learning is...

Don't do Merciless as a blind run since the grinding gets obnoxious :v

I was playing my friend's account the other day and we messed around with the difficulty settings and I observed a couple of neat things, like how, EXP distribution is about 50% less, but the damage from exploiting affinity weakness is actually higher on Merciless...

EXP distribution between easy, normal and hard seems to be the same (meaning it's pointless to go from Merciless to easy... unless I want to maybe use auto battle more to grind, I guess, but you would have to be fucking up SP management to not be maximizing your EXP per SP count since I did dungeon 3 in 4-5 days on Merciless).

Essentially, I don't really know how they're balancing the thing :v

But I do feel like the EXP distribution on not Merciless difficulties would address my issue concerning the dungeon not feeding you the EXP needed to do the boss.

So I should strongly consider... not playing on Merciless (at least not blind)... but I'm too far in now at 50+ hours lol

Wiseblood

A couple even require 4 days. That's the fucking worst. "Hey, we can't go any further let's come back later". Fuck you, I still have tons of SP!

Weebos

Banned
Prob late game spoiler question

When did everyone start getting the side characters ultimate personas/Rank 10 confidants.

Early November, had some non-party confidants at 10 in October. Some like Ryuji and Ann you could probably do pretty early.

AngryMoth

Kind of annoying being 40+ hours in and wishing I could start over with everything I know now to actually be good with the time management

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Kind of annoying being 40+ hours in and wishing I could start over with everything I know now to actually be good with the time management

That's why NG+ carries over your social stats. (Not confidant ranks*)

Not so much trouble just keep getting wiped by the big bang burger thing. I avoid it but I kept getting hit the debuffs right before. It's not too difficult but it is a bit annoying first time i've died to a boss too.

This might sound weird, but I think the AI in this game is great. I put my characters on "Act Freely" most times unless the boss requires a lot of specific moves in a certain order. However, this boss fight I was able to leave my characters on Act Freely without many problems.

I used Makoto, she has Dekunda (removes all status ailments for the party, which helps a ton) and the AI is pretty good at using it. I put Morgana as my healer since he has Diarama, Mediarama and his AI is set as "Healer/Support". I also used Haru since some of the robots are weak to Psi. As for the main character, I just had a bunch of Persona that had Wind, Psi, and Ice since the enemies are all weak to one of those three elements.

When the Big Bang Attack is about to happen, I just put guard on everyone. If you have Rakunda/Takunda (the ones that lower defense and attack on enemies), then that's helpful too.

I think the key for you is to have Makoto be in AI and use Dekunda or just manually use Dekunda from her. She's a great character so far in battle.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Dungeons are way better than previous games, also I'd think playing on safety would make the game more boring.

at least the dungeons aren't randomly generated this time

but i still don't want to spend any amount of hours collecting and leveling up personas and remembering status affects and what things like 'mabafubu' do, etc. they could cut like 40 hours out of this game and come out ahead, imo.

Toki767

but i still don't want to spend any amount of hours collecting and leveling up personas and remembering status affects and what things like 'mabafubu' do, etc. they could cut like 40 hours out of this game and come out ahead, imo.

I literally just spam R1 in battle to have it auto-select weaknesses

Opa-Pa

You don't want the turn based RPG side of the turn based RPG? I mean to each their own, but that's kinda weird.

Then again Atlus should start making VNs already, I could see them doing better than Persona lol.

Ulong

I don't think baton pass should have been tied to social links. I find it rather frustrating how awkward it is to use the new party member in their dungeon without having unlocked baton pass yet.

DKL

And yet they decided to make the
extra dungeon random, where you pretty much don't have access to the tool they make you sort of learn in regular dungeons.

(from what I can tell... maybe it's possible to hide around corners and I'm not mashing hard enough? But that doesn't really matter and I'm more concerned with having to look at the same fucking walls in a different color over and over again)

Pls

It was the worst part about Persona 4 and made things super tedious.

I don't think baton pass should have been tied to social links. I find it rather frustrating how awkward it is to use the new party member in their dungeon without having unlocked baton pass yet.

Yes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so I take it all the bitching a few days / pages ago about the game not letting you play and always forcing you to go to sleep and whatnot was because everyone was doing May I assume?

because MY GOD. It's actually souring me on the game to be honest, and I was loving it until now :/

Weebos

Banned
so I take it all the bitching a few days / pages ago about the game not letting you play and always forcing you to go to sleep and whatnot was because everyone was doing May I assume?

because MY GOD. It's actually souring me on the game to be honest, and I was loving it until now :/

Yeah, it is at its worst in May.

theblaydrunner

Neo Member

same as the follow up attack. for companions that you get later in the game, those skills should be unlocked from the get go.

Aselith

Is there any indication, when you are in the hold up screen, that you are currently holding the targeted Persona? I didn't see anything.

Yuuuuuuuuup May sucks

Hoo-doo

Banned

It gets way better. You have plenty of time to do stuff.

But seriously, this is part of the game. You have all these great options to spend your time on, so you got to prioritize.
It's the reason why i'm already excited for my NG+ run. So I can do all that other shit I neglected in the first run.

nOoblet16

same as the follow up attack. for companions that you get later in the game, those skills should be unlocked from the get go.
Here I am in the last quarter of the game trying to max out party members as best as I can for their bonus and then the game makes me start from rank 1 for this particular character this late in the game and needs max charm to even unlock baton pass and basic abilities that everyone else already has....including a character that actually joins the after this one.

Aselith

It get's way better. You have plenty of time to do stuff.

But seriously, this is part of the game. You have all these great options to spend your time on, so you got to prioritize.
It's the reason why i'm already excited for my NG+ run. So I can do all that other shit I neglected in the first run.

The problem is that most of May passes without you being able to do ANY activities. It's just event then sleep for several weeks of the month.

The problem is that most of May passes without you being able to do ANY activities. It's just event then sleep.

It was frustrating. I feel like it could have been so much better if they let you study, watch a movie, or craft tool or something. Like others said earlier in the thread, at least in 4, it just skipped night and went to the next day. In 5, they tease the shit out of you. That said, still enjoying the he'll out of the game.

Curufinwe

They don't make the game for people like you.

Zesh

Absolutely. I don't know why such an essential combat mechanic is locked behind social links.

Yes, May is particularly bad. It gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom