• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugioh

Banned
What are the benefits of running through the palace after the calling card is sent? Is there a higher chance of treasure genies or something?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The Japanese voices were ace, but the dub is amazing too. I definitely get a more nostalgic Persona experience this way. Ryuji and Morgana are pretty much as close as you can probably get to their Japanese voices, and the "off" lines Ryuji has (effin, are you shittin' me, etc.) are sold through his delivery instead. The Sakamoto pronunciation is annoying, though.

Kamoshida sounding like a normal guy is pretty disappointing. His weird nasally voice in Japanese made him seem somewhat more monstrous.

soultron

Banned
lol I totally just bought a VITA from my coworker today just for P5 remote play. Damn Zelda on the Switch spoiled me. I also can't put this game down, so I need that sweet remote play option. Anyone else splitting their time between PS4 and the VITA?

Zolo

Kamoshida sounding like a normal guy is pretty disappointing. His weird nasally voice in Japanese made him seem somewhat more monstrous.

Haven't listened to the Japanese version, but I think I'd prefer a more normal voice to one that sounds purposely evil. A big point of these guys is how they're supposed to come off as good figures in normal life (well, mostly I think).

Perineum

The palaces before that were all fun times and upbeat?

The conversations between the cast and crew of the "good guys" hasn't been all that dark. It was out of left field when she said that to her.

I would expect lines like that to be delivered from...well palace bosses. The gang didn't help either the very next day. Cold blooded.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haven't listened to the Japanese version, but I think I'd prefer a more normal voice to one that sounds purposely evil. A big point of these guys is how they're supposed to come off as good figures in normal life (well, mostly I think).

Yeah I don't need another way for persona 5 to hit me in the face about how all these people are terrible and bad and terrible.

If anything more subtlety would be nice.

I'm still in the middle of the September arc, and I think I can see where this is going. I'll be ready for the ride.

What are the benefits of running through the palace after the calling card is sent? Is there a higher chance of treasure genies or something?

To grind for level, I guess?

Apparently the shadows spawn endlessly and faster. But I think you can also reduce the threat level to 0% in that phase as well. I made it down to 50% in before when I had to open a couple of locked chest that I missed on my first infiltration.

CHC

Really feeling the pacing a lot more with the Japanese dub and auto-play for the voiced scenes. Just feels much smoother than hitting a button for every line, even though I somehow managed to get through Persona 4 like that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
He doesn't sound purposely evil, he just sounds... off, and not in a way that you realize until you get to know him.

Also, the protagonist has a portrait? You never see this in game, unless I missed it somewhere...

batfax

Got to start yesterday. Favorite little detail so far is renting a MacGyver DVD and having the audio that plays directly parody a scenario from the pilot episode.

Perineum

Anyone know the answers to the below:

Also, how do I get a persona with confuse if I just cleared palace 3? I want to abuse the momentos money damn it. Oh and does anyone know for the Strength 4 triple fuse where I can get the Arsanas or whatever Persona? I tried on the top floors of Momentos and no dice. Can it be fused? I have berith and the other one, but the third one with an A is a no go for something I can summon.

Rixxan

How do I actuallly get Becky to do my laundry or make me coffee? I don't see the actual prompt in any circumstance with her.

Aside: When I see "I don't think our relationship will grow just yet" prompt prior to social link meeting - is it best to not do said social link and wait?

God I suck at negotiations. What constitutes as a vague answer? I never know which one is considered vague.
The different categories are kind of intentionally hard to pin down, but it's basically like this:
  • Vague answers are just noncommital. Lots of maybes, ellipses, and lack of answers.
  • Serious answers are straight to the point, even if it might sound hostile or mean.
  • Joking ones are clear falsehoods or going along with the Shadow's joke.
  • Kind ones are just complimentary to the Shadow or what they're saying in some way. It's not always as straightforward as "you look good," or "feel better" or whatever.
How do I actuallly get Becky to do my laundry or make me coffee? I don't see the actual prompt in any circumstance with her.

Aside: When I see "I don't think our relationship will grow just yet" prompt prior to social link meeting - is it best to not do said social link and wait?

Even if they're not ranking up, you're progressing the Confidant relationship. If you want the most progress equip a Persona of the same arcana as the Confidant to advance it farther.

If it's anything like previous Persona games, the highest ranks can potentially have multiple visits of "no growth" before advancing, FYI.

Ok. First Palace done, though I haven't seen results out in real world yet. 10 hours in...some random thoughts from my phone while taking a poop.

-This game has some solid moments, like the
final confrontation/boss fight with Shadow Kamoshida.
I love how unique the fight itself is compared to previous Persona games. So far I'm not loving Persona 5 as much as 3 or 4, but this boss fight was the first thing I felt was much improved over previous games.

-Silent MCs bug for me many reasons, but stuff like this I really dislike.
While discussing in an alley if we think stealing the treasure did anything,
I have below choices:

Lets be patient (I selected this)
Lets go home

Ryuji responds: Right...lets go home

This tells me he would have surely said the same thing with other choice too. So why give me the choice? Have the character say the words! OR leave me with choices, and have responses more tailored to what I actually say. This isn't against just Persona 5, as I see it all the time in other games. Just grinds my gears and makes me lose a little immersion

-Super nitpicky, but why did we need to steal treasure?
Beating Shadow Kamoshida made him change his heart, as he felt he wasn't worth anything anymore after "a loss." Great tie-in to his character and I loved the moment, but it takes focus away from needing the treasure. Sure, the medal was important to him, but beating him down and therefore him having to deal with that loss is what changed the shadow's heart. Without it, he wouldn't have given up the crown. In the end, it doesn't really matter, and I think I like the idea of the loss in battle being what changed him. Plays better in my head.

Also the sun arcana is pretty dope story wise.

Indeed. And the charm boost from the hangouts totally help.

Go to your desk and you will be given the choice to make tools yourself or get Becky do it for you. The same goes for laundry.

Silent MCs bug for me many reasons, but stuff like this I really dislike.
While discussing in an alley if we think stealing the treasure did anything,
I have below choices:

Lets be patient (I selected this)
Lets go home

Ryuji responds: Right...lets go home

This tells me he would have surely said the same thing with other choice too. So why give me the choice? Have the character say the words! OR leave me with choices, and have responses more tailored to what I actually say. This isn't against just Persona 5, as I see it all the time in other games. Just grinds my gears and makes me lose a little immersion

There are LOTS of meaningless choice throughout the game, especially in the main story scenes and phone chats.

You get to choose a line so that the MC can still be in part of the conversations, as he is a silent protagonist.

And as you said, it's not only like this in Persona games, but many other games with silent protagonist as well.

gun_haver

1. Attempt to do those things and you will be prompted with the choice
2. It means you need to hang out more than once to get the next rank up, not that you need to wait before it's worth doing so.

I'm really tired of losing progress because it's an automatic game over when the MC dies in a random battle.

They're going to patch this shit right?

ramyeon

Just got spoiled on Makoto's evolved Persona but...
Seriously? It's horrible, it's like an ugly transformer and takes away the cool gimmick of her riding it. So bad.

Almost makes me not want to complete her S Link.

Do I have to do mementos? Can i just do the story and outside stuff?

Not really, but some confidants require you to do their mementos quest to proceed further with their ranks. It's also a good source of money if you're having trouble with it. The best time to do mementos is around the time after you finished a palace. Gather and activate (which sometimes require some investigations first) as many requests as possible, then finish them all in one mementos run.

DNAbro

Curious about a choice.

10/26 Spoilers
I decided to go with Ryuji and Mishima and that was an absolutely amazing scene. What happens if you go with Haru? or I assume your girlfriend.

Zolo

I'm really tired of losing progress because it's an automatic game over when the MC dies in a random battle.

They're going to patch this shit right?

Nah. That's how it is in a lot of the SMT series. It generally makes more sense with mainline SMT games though since your party is demons and not allies 'per se.

Hikami

Slink mechanic spoilers:
What do you gain by sleeping through class?

Not too sure since I only did it once and can't remember it much.. but I think my character had a dream and gained +guts points or something because of what happened in the dream.

TheFatMan

God this game is stressing me out. I never know what to pick or how long things are going to take. I missed a chance to hang out with Ryuji at some ramen shop on accident because i advanced time. Hoping I don't regret that too much.

I'm on 5/1 and I really haven't seen very many chances to hang out with Ann, is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom