• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragner

For me it's Zelda, you can't beat that freedom that I want so badly in Persona 5 and no handholding.
Fack the handholding in P5, they didn't need to make Morgana do it so much.

I wish a future Persona decided to give you freedom to make things even after story stuff. Just add a endurance stat or something and a fatigue counter associated to it that would affect your studies or combat. Idk they could come with something.

Yu Narukami

Pretty much. It's modern Persona. It has its fair share of flaws, but goddamn do I love it.

Lots of amazing games this year, like Yakuza 0, Nier and Tales of Berseria, but there's just no beating Persona.
How's Berseria? I could try that after P5. Is the story good?

Taruranto

Hello Persona Gaf. I have a question for you

How hard is the Hard mode?
I'm in the first palace tower and after few one-shot I'm not that I want to continue with hard.
My only experience with the serie is P4 on normal

And tips?

I gave up on Hard Mode 'cause MC death=game over, not even SMT has that anymore.

Every fight that is not an ambush is basically a Russian roulette.

aravuus

How's Berseria? I could try that after P5. Is the story good?

I adored it and thought it had easily one of the best Tales stories and casts ever, but I guess the bar isn't that high lol and I might be a bit of a Tales fanboy (even though I've disliked couple of the latest entries quite a lot)

Definitely still check it out if you're generally into Tales, though.

pbayne

Question about the fifth palace

Does the game fast forward to the arrest if you send out the calling card? Seems that im locked out of s-links with party members atm so do i need to complete the palace first and then i can continue like normal until 20 November?

Dragner

I gave up on Hard Mode 'cause MC death=game over, not even SMT has that anymore.

Every fight that is not an ambush is basically a Russian roulette.

And it gets worst one you get random mudo out of nowhere. I usually now go with a default antilight/dark persona just in case. I learned after a couple of times.

aravuus

Hah, you can't extort money or items from sleeping enemies. There's a lot of attention to detail with the status effects, and I love it.

Seriously stuck in the third dungeon, though. What the hell.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Never really got the point of hard mode. You're just spending more time on the least best part of the game and less time on the best parts.

Lusankya

Oh my god, the introduction scene of Haru as
the Beauty Thief is beyond awesome. Her English actress nailed it. How can you sound that unconvincing yet determined at the same time?
Probably the funniest scene in the game.

Dragner

Oh my god, the introduction scene of Haru as
the Beauty Thief is beyond awesome. Her English actress nailed it. How can you sound that unconvincing yet determined at the same time?
Probably the funniest scene in the game.

Haru and Futaba are amazing and her scenes are hilarious. Is sad the game introduces them so far. I want more of them.

Antiwhippy

I love the battle system more than the waifu simulator, hard mode *aside from MC death* makes every encounter important, you really can't slip up.

I've always much preferred the life sim parts of games like persona and atelier. If anything i want games of this style but also experiment outside of rpg combat as the gameplay loop.

Like replace the dungeon crawling with rhythm Hampstead and make it a nodame cantibile simulator.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Finally managed to finish the first Castle.. next i want to put my attention a bit on fusing... any tips?

ST2K

Finally managed to finish the first Castle.. next i want to put my attention a bit on fusing... any tips?

Get a high level Persona with skills that cover the weaknesses your team doesn't have covered. Maybe reserve healing or physical focused ones too.

Not that complicated in the early game. =P

Dragner

Fuse a bit early to make personas of your level but dont go super deep since you will get tools that will make the process easier in the future. More options and access to the Strenght Arcana. If you need personas for the next palace you can always explore a bit then go back to the entrance and acess the velvet room from there.

MTC100

Banned
Heard Beneath the Mask for the first time ~14 hours in and I had to put the controller down for a few minutes to enjoy the vocals.

The OST is sublime.

If it's that slow Jazz evening/night theme you'll hear it quite a lot in the future to a point where you'd want to hear something else.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Get a high level Persona with skills that cover the weaknesses your team doesn't have covered. Maybe reserve healing or physical focused ones too.

Not that complicated in the early game. =P

Yeah. But i am noobing the fuck outta this game lol. I tend to overthink way to much..

kromeo

Yeah. But i am noobing the fuck outta this game lol. I tend to overthink way to much..

I got through 3 and 4 without ever putting too much thought into what I'm fusing, just make whichever ones you think look cool. Having something with Zio helps to cover Ryuji's lack of sp early on

JBwB

Damn I love this game. Even when I'm not playing it I'm still thinking about it.

I'm only 30 hours in but so far it's easily beating out Horizon & Nier as the best game I've played this year.

Potential GOAT contender right here.

DKL

I love the battle system more than the waifu simulator, hard mode *aside from MC death* makes every encounter important, you really can't slip up.

Surprisingly, I have slipped up on Merciless, but survived. This game actually isn't so bad on merciless outside of the EXP gain, which is completely miserable.

(though I am wondering how much faster the 3rd dungeon boss fight would have went on lower difficulties... that shit was pretty long for me)

The time management doesn't even become an issue on this difficulty since it's really easy to optimize your SP spending in a way that will allow you to grind in a dungeon for like an hour, which is the most tedious thing you can do, but I don't have too much of a choice since I don't wanna waste a day when I still have a bunch of SP to use.

That said, I used to like harem simulation more, but they gave me what I always wanted from the game series (I've only played 3 and 4): hand-crafted dungeons.

The addition of stealth isn't particularly interesting (just put some geometry between you and an enemy and you're probably gonna be in a position to ambush... takes like 5 minutes to master and I've only been in one situation where an ambush led to enemy reinforcements because of how the enemies were placed), but every location so far has had a cool map gimmick and theme that's pretty fun to play through as opposed to like... randomly designed corridors with a different texture on the walls.

As for battle system, to be honest, I do enjoy SMT x FE more (even if it's busted and you can save anywhere since I found the theory craft for combos more entertaining), but this game is probably significantly more well-written than that game on the roleplaying side of things lol

Rien

Jelly Belly
I got through 3 and 4 without ever putting too much thought into what I'm fusing, just make whichever ones you think look cool. Having something with Zio helps to cover Ryuji's lack of sp early on

Great.

So its best to fuse and create elements which are not covered by you and/or your teammembers right?

Thanx you all..

Damn I love this game. Even when I'm not playing it I'm still thinking about it.

I'm only 30 hours in but so far it's easily beating out Horizon & Nier as the best game I've played this year.

Potential GOAT contender right here.

Funny you say so cuz next to my struggles i am really enjoining the game and constantly thinking abt it.

Looked at the voice cast for shits and giggles.

Wowza, looks like Sega's fetish for impossible-to-miss typecasting in localizations has officially spread to Atlus.

And I thought Valkyria Chronicles having the same voice-cast as Code Geass voicing expies of Code Geass characters in both the Japanese and English tracks was the peak.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I love this game, don't get me wrong.

But it's no nier.

Edit ah shit, didn't mean to be totp.

you mean it's not the most overrated game in recent memory? you're right.

I kid I kid.

I dont kid but let's not derail the thread.

Are there any realities, here or otherwise, that Persona 5 gets to win this year's Game Awards "Game of the Year"?

Nintendo fans got Bayonetta to game of the year. This is a year where there is a new Nintendo console and a Nintendo game that needs to be held up as the best game of all time.

You do the math.

For my part, this is the best game I have played in several years. It is a pure joy.

silva1991

My baby has finally arrived

Rj1GhlM.jpg

6qELP8P.jpg

I did not except the art book to be this big lol.

Antiwhippy

you mean it's not the most overrated game in recent memory? you're right.

I kid I kid.

I dont kid but let's not derail the thread.

Yeah let's not derail.

Part of me wishes that i played nier after persona 5 so i wouldn't be as critical of certain aspects of 5.

Hoo-doo

Banned
My baby has finally arrived

I did not except the art book to be this big lol.

Goddamn. I usually hate special editions of all shapes and sizes.

But this game is hitting me in such a way that I am kicking myself for not going with the ultimate edition with the artbook.
At least I have one of the best looking steelbooks to add to my collection.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh damn I just realised you need to get to the treasure to send the calling card which is a seperate thing alltogether. I almost fucked up, ive been putting off the palace until the end. I still have 5 days left so I should be good but damn.

Antiwhippy

The artbook is nice but it's still not as good or in depth as standalone artbooks.

Hoping soejima does another collection.

Garland7G

I got the P4 battle theme, do you have to enable it in a menu somewhere? I'm not at a palace so I can't check if it comes on automatically. :/

tsundoku

Hopefully I can safari in and out without hitting any spoilers here.

Has anyone else been having absurd trouble with the DLC?
I got my P5 in the mail finally today and it seems to be the only PS4 game to have ever shipped without a day 1 patch.

But I'm trying to download all this DLC I bought and having so much trouble
On the console if I try to open it from the purchased library it just launches the game, there doesn't seem to be a button to go into each piece of DLC from there
On the store pages, on console most of them just list "Purchased" and refuse to let me trigger a download
I managed to force the Japanese audio to download and no matter how many times I relaunch the game its not in the options
When I go to the PSN store I click to download to my PS4 (i have plus until the 18th and the ps4 on or in rest mode) I got one single dlc to download by clearing out some broken downloads for avatars for other games, but now it always just does the little animation on the button forever and never adds it to the queue.

Is there no way to get this to happen from the console if the website is fucked for me?

Specifically the costume packs seemed to cause the problem because I was clicking them first and sometimes getting them to pop in the queue but immediately error/cancel, but I cant even get a 2 persona pack to download

the download queue seems to cap out at 9 or 10 items and when you trigger a costume pack it seems to try to download 3 different downloads for each character, and given that each costume pack is 4 characters that seems to instantly wreck it

silva1991

Goddamn. I usually hate special editions of all shapes and sizes.

But this game is hitting me in such a way that I am kicking myself for not going with the ultimate edition with the artbook.
At least I have one of the best looking steelbooks to add to my collection.

Same. I never bought an actual CE like this before. It just looks so good and thankfully the music in the game is really good

Also that stuffed Morgana is so adorable. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom