• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
5th dungeon, i switched from hard to merciless!

it's really becoming too easy since 4thand i'm too high level! I don't even grind!

the game is freaking amazing, but it's a little bit too easy compared to others atlus RPG!

Hope it will become harder near the end

I'm in the 4th Palace but thinking a little forward and I have no idea how
Haru
could even tie in here, like all our players and pieces seem to be set. She's loaded though, right? So I guess part of the
shady politician
plotline brewing in the back.

Honestly I'm thinking to hard about things and trying to figure things out on my own so maybe I should just work on blasting through this palace.

Weebos

Banned
Uh huh, I have the 5th palace next. Is its gimmick annoying or is it the enemies? People complained about Anubis but those were really easy to handle lol.

My main issue is that everybody keeps saying "The Treasure is in the next room!" but its not at all.

Made the dungeon feel a lot longer and more painful.

I'm in the 4th Palace but thinking a little forward and I have no idea how
Haru
could even tie in here, like all our players and pieces seem to be set. She's loaded though, right? So I guess part of the
shady politician
plotline brewing in the back.

Honestly I'm thinking to hard about things and trying to figure things out on my own so maybe I should just work on blasting through this palace.

I'm in the same place and feel the same. Interested to see how that happens.

Should I engage in Social Link even if MC said they're not getting closer in relationship yet? Are all the Up!! events based on time/game progress?

They are not based on time or progress.

They're based on an invisible scale (the musical notes you gain with answers). You get 3 points for hanging out with someone with the correct persona.

So to increase their S.Link you will have to hang out with them(without ranking up) or pay the fortune teller to increase your relationship.

Jiraiza

Yeah, I still like Ryuji a lot. He's the loudmouthed bro, but he's second to the MC when it comes to pure suffering. He didn't even get the proper conclusion to his problems in the Kamoshida arc since it just ended up revolving around Ann and Suzui even though he was the biggest victim of all the students.
Messed up leg, track team gone, everyone hates him, and then some?
Come on, it's ridiculous how none of that was addressed in the confession. Oversight or not, it made me like him more.

If you replaced Hifumi with a loaf of bread I might not even notice.

Honestly she's the only Confidant I'm just completely uncaring towards. Really really glad she was never a party member.

...now if they made some of the other Confidants party members I'd be in love. Seriously, let me have my cynical teacher in her 30s party member.

Setsu00

It's a repetition of chapter 3 if you exclude Morgana event. I expected game to continue like chapter 4 mix of personal+main story (by main story I mean some devleppement and not just some hint)

After the rain of depression that was Palace 4 I was actually quite relieved that the fifth one was less personal.
The gameplay gimmick in the first section wasn't even that awful and if it hadn't been for those Girimehkalas I would have finished the dungeon in one go.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, I still like Ryuji a lot. He's the loudmouthed bro, but he's second to the MC when it comes to pure suffering. He didn't even get the proper conclusion to his problems in the Kamoshida arc since it just ended up revolving around Ann and Suzui even though he was the biggest victim of all the students.
Come on, it's ridiculous how none of that was addressed in the confession. Oversight or not, it made me like him more.
Yeah, the thing about Ryuji is (first palace spoilers)
that he's already been screwed over. There's no going back and fixing what happened to him. He's off the track team, his reputation is tarnished, and
(confidant spoilers)
he can't exactly go back to the track team because of the bad memories he has
. He never really resolves this problem either.

FluxWaveZ

Yep, the same goes for Ryuji.

And Morgana.

Heck, people were even hating on Yusuke early on in the thread for being a "debbie downer" and a creep, and I had to go all:
Are people calling Yusuke creepy just because of the (first encounters)
nude painting bit?
I think Yusuke's fantastic, and that didn't strike me as "creepy" because he had no
sexual intent towards it
, just eccentric. Though I learned to appreciate him more the further the game went on, so that might be the case for people describing him like that, too.

Nose Master

It seems hard to cycle in new dudes and have them be reliable. Finally farting around with makoto and boringartman, and meh. Art man is fine, but your main jam being radioactive damage is situational junk.

Dark_castle

I'm at the same place in the game that you are, but I fucking can't stand Ryuji.
Yeah, Ann got caught in the recording, too, but she actually took responsibility and apologized for it. Makoto apologized for her fuck-ups, too.
Ryuji is consistently, without fail, the only motherfucker on the team who refuses to actually own up to the dumb shit he does, and it makes him feel like a very one-dimensional character. The only side he seems to have to him is "loud jackass." Like, that's it, that's the only weapon in his arsenal. Everything's always cranked up to 11 for him, and he can't even sit and listen to someone else talk without getting mad about something.

It's also super infuriating how it seems like he cares way more about getting famous than he cares about actually helping people. The others understand that widespread acknowledgement of the Phantom Thieves is a good thing because it helps people speak out, but Ryuji's like "WE'RE NEVER GOING TO BE FAMOUS AT THIS RATE" and it's like... man, this is so not the point, shut the hell up.

He's just so self-centered and has absolutely no chill button, and it's incredibly obnoxious. I said this earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again: Ryuji is everything I fucking hate about teenagers, both real and fictional.

edit: forgot spoil tags, though it's nothing crazy and only for up til the third palace.

Yeah but I actually think Ryuji's characterization embodies a core of Phantom Thieves, that is the childish/rash side of it. It represents a flaw in what they do, and their rising popularity which attracts attention and glamor. At the end of day, our party is a band of thieves who although likes to act in the name of justice are also kids with varying levels of maturity and virtues.

Opa-Pa

Yeah, the thing about Ryuji is (first palace spoilers)
that he's already been screwed over. There's no going back and fixing what happened to him. He's off the track team, his reputation is tarnished, and
(confidant spoilers)
he can't exactly go back to the track team because of the bad memories he has
. He never really resolves this problem either.

Yup, the guy is completely miserable and the only way he could start anew is by going to university... Which will be tough for him to accomplish too. And yet the guy is always motivated and cheery despite all, and relieves his canned anger and frustration by being loud. I think it's fine to be annoyed by how loud he can be, but seriously relax.

It's not about how much shit the characters get, but the kind of shit they deal with. Many of the main cast go through terrible stuff but they can fix it eventually, and Ryuji's situation is dire. A normal teenager would probably end up an actual criminal being in his shoes.

--

Also unrelated, but I really wish they'd drop the "shitty adults" thing already. It makes their legitimate feelings of anger and need for change sound super silly and childish, even though they're accomplishing good things.

Ydelnae

Can we talk about Ann being the most disappointing character, though? Her awakening was great and so far it feels like she has only stuck with the group in order to have some fanservice during the anime scenes.

Would have easily traded Iwai, Hifumi or Nishima as party members for her. The should have pulled a Zestiriagate on her.

Jiraiza

Yeah but I actually think Ryuji's characterization embodies a core of Phantom Thieves, that is the childish/rash side of it. It represents a flaw in what they do, and their rising popularity which attracts attention and glamor. At the end of day, our party is a band of thieves who although likes to act in the name of justice are also kids with varying levels of maturity and virtues.

He's like the heart of the team, literally. I've only just finished the third dungeon, but he does kind of drive the team forward toward new goals. And really, him being loudmouthed isn't a big deal since for some reason they're discussing Phantom Thieves antics in public for everyone to hear, anyway.

Ryuji still had the second best Awakening so far, though. As expected of best bro. MC being first.

Awakening scenes and PERSONA scream:
MC > Ryuji > Morgana (scream only) > Makoto > Yusuke > Ann

Gahaha.

Nah, not even close.

I like Ann quite a lot. Since she joins early she sort of has her moment and then doesn't get a ton of characterization later on but she's still solid.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Does (4th Palace member)
Futaba
ever wear the clothing that she has on on the steelbook cover?
That's way better than her cargo pants...

Can we talk about Ann being the most disappointing character, though? Her awakening was great and so far it feels like she has only stuck with the group in order to have some fanservice during the anime scenes.

Would have easily traded Iwai, Hifumi or Nishima as party members for her. The should have pulled a Zestiriagate on her.
I'd say out of the main cast Ann is my least favorite that said I still enjoy her as a character. She overall seems to have the least impact on the group, but other then that I really don't have too much issue with her just wish she had a more active role.

Nose Master

100% agree with Ann, on Palace 4 atm. She's just kind of there after chapter 1.

What effects RNG, btw? I've been trying to get Dekaja on Neko, and it keeps giving me the same poopy physical skill.

Nvm, got a different one finally.

What's annoying is it's super obvious they went for the cool, violent shots of ripping off your masks and having your face stained with blood...

General Awakening Scene Spoilers

except for all the girls who are quickly cut away from, done from a distance or don't actually have this happen
. Can't have that =/

PK Gaming

And Morgana.

Heck, people were even hating on Yusuke early on in the thread for being a "debbie downer" and a creep, and I had to go all:

Yusuke is definitely great. An aspect I don't see being mentioned at all about him is that
he's got this frank, no-nonsense edge compared to the others when it comes the Phantom Thievery. Everyone talks about how goofy he is, but I remember when he tore into Ryuji for not being careful, and bluntly told Makoto she was useless prior to joining. Great moments, and it's a good example how much more dynamic the Phantom Thieves are as a group when compared to the IT, which was a lot more positive/friendly.

Also his confidant is amazing so far.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Also unrelated, but I really wish they'd drop the "shitty adults" thing already. It makes their legitimate feelings of anger and need for change sound super silly and childish, even though they're accomplishing good things.
They could easily replace "adults" with "people" and it would sound a lot more natural and less edgy. Especially considering some of the Mementos targets are kids and (August spoilers)
the fourth palace is literally one of your own party members', and the youngest of the group at that.

I've been wondering something while playing the game (Shin Megami Tensei lore)
think the phantom thieves are somehow tied with Nocturne and the destruction of the world?

And Morgana.

Agree, Morgana is fucking awesome.

I didn't like Yusuke that much at the beginning, not even his design. But the more I progressed in the story the more I liked him, and he looks so fucking stylish with the Gekkoukan high uniform.

It seems some people don't understand that all party characters in P5 are outcasts and that also extends to the confidants: They are either ignored or even worse they suffer harassment by their peers or their superiors; that made me feel empathy for those characters... except Futaba of course.

Zolo

*Clicks on bed on Sunday*

Morgana: Going to sleep, even though you have all day free? That seems like such a waste...

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

That is actually the point

Miang

Fucking 5th dungeon.
Found the first 2 keycards easily but fucked up getting the 3rd. Which robot has it?? I'm running out of SP fighting these guys.

It's pretty stupid the game keeps telling you to study for the exam then literally forces you to do all this extra stuff giving you ONE chance to study before the exam. So should I study or not bother? What you want game?!

I can't help but make a point here; what Kamoshida was doing was terrible was because he was treating a lot of students like he treated Ryuji. Ryuji got fucked over on a high scale for
standing up for himself for sure
but Shiho
got sexually assaulted and it ate at her so much she jumped off of a fucking building.
NOBODY deserved that apology more than her. He should have gotten mentioned along with Ann though. I kind of think that Ryuji not seeing much arc resolution is pivotal to his role as a short sighted loud mouthed fool though. If he were undergoing development, he would be evaluating those parts of himself, and then he wouldn't be playing his role as the pre req cringe bro that makes the MC look IRRESISTIBLE in comparison.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I really dislike the dialog choice mechanic when taking in new personas. It's just so often completely arbitrary that it becomes frustrating.

PK Gaming

I can't help but make a point here; what Kamoshida was doing was terrible was because he was treating a lot of students like he treated Ryuji. Ryuji got fucked over on a high scale for
standing up for himself for sure
but Shiho
got sexually assaulted and it ate at her so much she jumped off of a fucking building.
NOBODY deserved that apology more than her. He should have gotten mentioned along with Ann though. I kind of think that Ryuji not seeing much arc resolution is pivotal to his role as a short sighted loud mouthed fool though. If he were undergoing development, he would be evaluating those parts of himself, and then he wouldn't be playing his role as the pre req cringe bro that makes the MC look IRRESISTIBLE in comparison.

His arc is resolved in his confidant.

megalowho

If you replaced Hifumi with a loaf of bread I might not even notice.

Honestly she's the only Confidant I'm just completely uncaring towards. Really really glad she was never a party member.

...now if they made some of the other Confidants party members I'd be in love. Seriously, let me have my cynical teacher in her 30s party member.
Yea, her story is kind of redundant and there's not a lot of personality to latch onto. Also a cultural disconnect, if she was a
chess master
I'd probably be into it more.

Kawakami is basically an unofficial member, she's over every night making coffee and lockpicks already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom