• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

I think I really dislike the dialog choice mechanic when taking in new personas. It's just so often completely arbitrary that it becomes frustrating.

100% success rate if you read the tutorial that the game doesn't give you.
Upbeat - jokes, no serious/vague
Timid - kind, no jokes/vague
Irritable - serious, no kind/vague
Gloomy - vague, no serious/jokes

Setsu00

I think I really dislike the dialog choice mechanic when taking in new personas. It's just so often completely arbitrary that it becomes frustrating.

As someone who played other SMT games: P5's negotiations are about the most sensible ones to ever appear in this series.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
How can I plan anything when it forces you down a linear path?

Do homework first then go play. If the question is sincere though I can requote my general tips to be more efficient again.
-----------
Edit: I hope once people finish they join the spoiler discussion I'd love to read and discuss a more detailed breakdown of all the confidant story lines.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah, I still like Ryuji a lot. He's the loudmouthed bro, but he's second to the MC when it comes to pure suffering. He didn't even get the proper conclusion to his problems in the Kamoshida arc since it just ended up revolving around Ann and Suzui even though he was the biggest victim of all the students.
Messed up leg, track team gone, everyone hates him, and then some?
Come on, it's ridiculous how none of that was addressed in the confession. Oversight or not, it made me like him more.

I agree, it was really unsatisfying not giving him some justice there.

Yeah, I still like Ryuji a lot. He's the loudmouthed bro, but he's second to the MC when it comes to pure suffering. He didn't even get the proper conclusion to his problems in the Kamoshida arc since it just ended up revolving around Ann and Suzui even though he was the biggest victim of all the students.
Messed up leg, track team gone, everyone hates him, and then some?
Come on, it's ridiculous how none of that was addressed in the confession. Oversight or not, it made me like him more.

Ryuji was a bigger victim than Shiho? Are you kidding me right now? Pretty sure
getting raped
beats out
a broken leg and some lost friendships
by a country mile, but sure.

If you replaced Hifumi with a loaf of bread I might not even notice.

Honestly she's the only Confidant I'm just completely uncaring towards. Really really glad she was never a party member.

...now if they made some of the other Confidants party members I'd be in love. Seriously, let me have my cynical teacher in her 30s party member.

We actually lost the best girl and got Futaba instead =(

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
100% success rate if you read the tutorial that the game doesn't give you.
Upbeat - jokes, no serious/vague
Timid - kind, no jokes/vague
Irritable - serious, no kind/vague
Gloomy - vague, no serious/jokes

It certainly does help out a lot, but it's still not 100% even with that, though mostly with the irritable enemies.

For example, there's one 'irritable' guard in the 3rd palace who asks 'what kind of food do you like to eat'.

The answers are something along the lines of:
- Meat
- Veggies
- Rice (or something)

How in the world do you know which one is 'joking' vs 'serious' in this situation

His arc is resolved in his confidant.

Of course, but as a main character and party member in a game where 80% of players probably won't get around to half of the confidants, they should have been better about putting that into the main plot.

But it's ok, because it opened up room for Yusuke to swoop in and become the very best.

ChrisD

Also unrelated, but I really wish they'd drop the "shitty adults" thing already. It makes their legitimate feelings of anger and need for change sound super silly and childish, even though they're accomplishing good things.

I was just complaining about this out loud to my brother last night. Ryuji could say adults, but why does everyone say it? What about people, or authorities, or one of the many other words that would convey as much less embarrassing? It also gets tiring hearing the same phrase said so much, mix it up with other words!

Amirnol

I really don't like the way the camera auto-corrects itself to be behind the main character as you move around. I like to move my camera around and take in the environments while I am exploring, this makes it feel wonky and restrictive. I couldn't find any options to turn off camera auto-centering, did I miss it? Otherwise I am enjoying the game quite a bit!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Also unrelated, but I really wish they'd drop the "shitty adults" thing already. It makes their legitimate feelings of anger and need for change sound super silly and childish, even though they're accomplishing good things.

I was just complaining about this out loud to my brother last night. Ryuji could say adults, but why does everyone say it? What about people, or authorities, or one of the many other words that would convey as much less embarrassing? It also gets tiring hearing the same phrase said so much, mix it up with other words!

Fresh-prince-parents-just-dont-understand.jpg

daveo42

Banned
I can't help but make a point here; what Kamoshida was doing was terrible was because he was treating a lot of students like he treated Ryuji. Ryuji got fucked over on a high scale for
standing up for himself for sure
but Shiho
got sexually assaulted and it ate at her so much she jumped off of a fucking building.
NOBODY deserved that apology more than her. He should have gotten mentioned along with Ann though. I kind of think that Ryuji not seeing much arc resolution is pivotal to his role as a short sighted loud mouthed fool though. If he were undergoing development, he would be evaluating those parts of himself, and then he wouldn't be playing his role as the pre req cringe bro that makes the MC look IRRESISTIBLE in comparison.

This might be more projecting on my part for Ryuji, but my guess is that he acts the way he does most of the time not only because he's ridiculously stubborn and a brazen loudmouth is because
he's played the part of the outcast since his leg was broken by Kamoshida. The rest of his outburst mostly stem from the fact that the Phantom Thieves is the best thing he's had since track. It's basically his new identity, which he lacked up to that point.
I think there are good reasons why he acts the way he does and maybe why he hasn't seemed to develop as much.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
P5 would be the absolute perfect game to have a direct sequel in the same way Persona 2 did. Same setting, similar timeframe, supporting older cast becomes main cast.

Can you imagine a Persona 5: Reverse Side with a playable Hifumi, Kawakami, Takemi, Iwai, and maybe even Sojiro? It could feature (endgame spoilers)
Human Morgana, since they hint at this being possible
and
the protagonist could return as an endgame character like Tatsuya did in Eternal Punishment
. Sae would be the main character. I need this.

PK Gaming

Of course, but as a main character and party member in a game where 80% of players probably won't get around to half of the confidants, they should have been better about putting that into the main plot.

But it's ok, because it opened up room for Yusuke to swoop in and become the very best.

I think most people who played the game to completion would complete his since it's one of the earliest and easiest Confidants to finish. I feel like his initial arc was handled pretty decently. There's a nice callback to it when he talks about
why he joined the Track Team in the first place on 6/11. The main thing is that he's moved on from the Kamoshida business and has a place where he belongs. It would have been nice if his mother actually showed up though.

FluxWaveZ

P5 would be the absolute perfect game to have a direct sequel in the same way Persona 2 did. Same setting, similar timeframe, supporting older cast becomes main cast.

I tend to disagree, because this game hits pretty much all of the major points of the "Phantom Thief" genre, from dungeon locations to thief archetypes. From an aesthetic and narrative perspective, it'd be pretty difficult to make a P5-2 not seem redundant.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I tend to disagree, because this game hits pretty much all of the major points of the "Phantom Thief" genre, from dungeon locations to thief archetypes. From an aesthetic and narrative perspective, it'd be pretty difficult to make a P5-2 not seem redundant.
Well, it'd have to drop the whole Phantom Thief thing. A return to the setting and characters is still possible without all of that.

Shouta

Ann, like Ryuji, isn't a character that gets a lot of development directly throughout the course of the game but rather, her interactions with the cast across the entire game help to define her. Their confidant stuff helps concrete it but who they are as characters is pretty solidly setup even without it Ann and Ryuji's interactions in particular are pretty great and you can how they make the core of the group.

We need to take this to the Confidant thread so we don't get banned and I don't have to shame and embbarass you in front of more people

lol; I won't say anything more but I still think Futaba is a pretty bad character.

I guess they say it because "kuso" is not as insulting as "shitty" so it's still kind of acceptable in a normal conversation. And also, they are dealing with pretty fucked up people so calling them "shitty adults" is actually pretty tame.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any tips for getting a character taken hostage?

I'm trying to get the trophy (which 30% of people have) and I've never seen the mechanic in 110 hours of game and NG+ and I haven't seen it once.

I'm concerned that I'm too overleveled to pull it off now, and I'm playing on Safe, which might be part of it.

Also it took me to a few pages ago to realize that Yosuke and Yusuke don't have the same name.

Toki767

Does anyone have any tips for getting a character taken hostage?

I'm trying to get the trophy (which 30% of people have) and I've never seen the mechanic in 110 hours of game and NG+ and I haven't seen it once.

I'm concerned that I'm too overleveled to pull it off now, and I'm playing on Safe, which might be part of it.

Also it took me to a few pages ago to realize that Yosuke and Yusuke don't have the same name.

Try getting ambushed.

PK Gaming

Ann, like Ryuji, isn't a character that gets a lot of development directly throughout the course of the game but rather, her interactions with the cast across the entire game help to define her. Their confidant stuff helps concrete it but who they are as characters is pretty solidly setup even without it Ann and Ryuji's interactions in particular are pretty great and you can how they make the core of the group.

I agree with that

I mean, I can't really talk since i'm still in the 3rd arc, but those characters feel more involved with the world than their counterparts in 4 and arguably 3 did.

I think most people who played the game to completion would complete his since it's one of the earliest and easiest Confidants to finish. I feel like his initial arc was handled pretty decently. There's a nice callback to it when he talks about
why he joined the Track Team in the first place on 6/11. The main thing is that he's moved on from the Kamoshida business and has a place where he belongs. It would have been nice if his mother actually showed up though.

It makes sense to do his, and I've been doing it but I kid you not, I've seen so many people like "don't got no time to be doing dude's S.Links". They sound like Sojiro tbh

Shoeless

It certainly does help out a lot, but it's still not 100% even with that, though mostly with the irritable enemies.

For example, there's one 'irritable' guard in the 3rd palace who asks 'what kind of food do you like to eat'.

The answers are something along the lines of:
- Meat
- Veggies
- Rice (or something)

How in the world do you know which one is 'joking' vs 'serious' in this situation

I agree. Even with that guide, sometimes the answers available don't do a good job of distinguishing themselves between which attitude they are meant to convey, and I still frequently get the wrong answers.

I hit a locked door in Mementos after the second area and the party mentioned I should come back later. Is this a story barrier or do I have to do something in the game to unlock it?

MSMrRound

I hit a locked door in Mementos after the second area and the party mentioned I should come back later. Is this a story barrier or do I have to do something in the game to unlock it?

If you are talking about the locked barrier it means you have to advance the story. A new portion of Mementos will open up after each arc.

Overall I love the writing of the game, but a lot of the line-to-line stuff can be rough (evil adults!) to the point where I'm genuinely concerned that Atlus USA didn't get their copy of the script until the game came out in Japan. I feel like even a once-over of the dialogue should've caught this.

Zafir

I kind of wish they'd go back to what Persona 3 did. Where characters in Persona 3 had development outside their social links as well.

Instead 5 has the same problem as 4, probably worse considering how the first chapter affects certain characters, in that everything gets shoved into the social link. Yeah, sure there's the assumption that people will do the social link anyway, but still. It means those subjects never get touched on in the main story, or even referenced because people might not have done them. It can also create a bit of a disconnect.

you're dealing with demons/persona, of course they're gonna decieve you and decide whatever they want! In Smt 4 their dialogue is a lot of funs thanks to that, they troll you at every opportunity they can!

but if it's really too frustating, there some confidents that helps with that

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
What's annoying is it's super obvious they went for the cool, violent shots of ripping off your masks and having your face stained with blood...

General Awakening Scene Spoilers

except for all the girls who are quickly cut away from, done from a distance or don't actually have this happen
. Can't have that =/

Ann's face was pretty clearly bleeding. futaba and haru had different ways/times of awakening, so really we only missed mokoto's

chrono01

Now that I've finished Nier Automata (great game), I'm considering finally starting Persona 5 today.

A few questions first!

1) Is there any sort of important missables I should concern myself about? I know in Persona games, it's difficult to accomplish everything in your first play-through, so unless you're using a guide (which I won't), it's probably best to save for my second run through, correct?

2) Speaking of second run-through, I assume there's a NG+ here as well?

3) What's the best use of my time, or what would you recommend I focus on as I just start the game?

Thanks so much for any/all help! I'd search through the OT, but I'm kind of paranoid of spoilers. :/

Jiraiza

Ryuji was a bigger victim than Shiho? Are you kidding me right now? Pretty sure
getting raped
beats out
a broken leg and some lost friendships
by a country mile, but sure.

I thought there was only
sexual abuse
, not
actual rape
. Did I miss something?

Maybe I shouldn't have said it in absolute terms, but Ryuji was as big of a victim as much as Shiho was.
Still makes no sense why Ryuji didn't get a single mention in the confession.

PK Gaming

I kind of wish they'd go back to what Persona 3 did. Where characters in Persona 3 had development outside their social links as well.

Instead 5 has the same problem as 4, probably worse considering how the first chapter affects certain characters, in that everything gets shoved into the social link. Yeah, sure there's the assumption that people will do the social link anyway, but still. It means those subjects never get touched on in the main story, or even referenced because people might not have done them. It can also create a bit of a disconnect.

5 handles it considerably better than 4. In 4, the main cast don't have their issues addressed again outside of social links, and they join the amorphous blob that is the Investigation Team. In 5, the characters still bring up their problems
ie: that wonderful 6/11 potluck scene
and they generally stand out significantly more as characters even after they joined the group.

I also don't think 3 had the end-all-be all for character development. Some characters had great, consistent arcs (Yukari, Ken, Junpei and Aigis) while others were typical "major event changes them" where there character development was analogous to a flat line and a major spike (Mitsuru and Akihiko). And then there was Fuuka...

Setsu00

I thought there was only
sexual abuse
, not
actual rape
. Did I miss something?

Maybe I shouldn't have said it in absolute terms, but Ryuji was as big of a victim as much as Shiho was.
Still makes no sense why Ryuji didn't get a single mention in the confession.

It was implied that he went beyond his usual sexual harassment on that day, which is why Shiho jumped from the roof right after that. Also Kamoshida ruined quite a few lives, and if I recall correctly he doesn't apologize directly to Mishima either. Kamoshida's entire confession would have probably taken a couple of hours.

Apharmd

The platonic end of Kawakami's link is actually pretty touching.

Agreed. I really love the social links in this Persona in general, they drew me in a LOT more than the previous games.

Also, Sun social link end was also super cool. I genuinely like that dude.

Xeteh

Now that I've finished Nier Automata (great game), I'm considering finally starting Persona 5 today.

A few questions first!

1) Is there any sort of important missables I should concern myself about? I know in Persona games, it's difficult to accomplish everything in your first play-through, so unless you're using a guide (which I won't), it's probably best to save for my second run through, correct?

2) Speaking of second run-through, I assume there's a NG+ here as well?

3) What's the best use of my time, or what would you recommend I focus on as I just start the game?

Thanks so much for any/all help! I'd search through the OT, but I'm kind of paranoid of spoilers. :/

Yeah, if you're willing to dedicate the time to it don't bother spending your first time playing through the game following a step by step guide, just spend time with the characters you want. Nothing is really missable as far as items go aside from chests you don't open when you finish a story dungeon, you can't go back for those afterwards but they don't matter much at all.

Yeah, there's NG+. Your social stats, personas, equipment and money carry over.

Your time should be spent doing something that will benefit you in some way, be it raising social stats (which seem more important this game than previous entries), Confidant links or the dungeon crawling. Ideally you want to finish a story dungeon in as few days as possible so you have more time to dedicate to the social stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom