• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I used Hero/Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto for almost the entire game and almost never had any real problems. Makoto can heal when needed, even if not as well as Morgana, and the physical attacks seem to be as if not more useful than elemental attacks unless going for weaknesses, which Ryuji/Yusuke can do anyway.

bronson

i can't stop myself, the memes are too tempting

OVk2Sj2.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The mementos music

Meguro whyyyy
Combined with
Morgana's bus form
, the extremely repetitive and off-beat music made the entire Mementos experience oddly hilarious to me.

FluxWaveZ

Hifumi is cool. It's nice to see an Atlus character who actually resents the idea of becoming an idol. I loved Tokyo Mirage Sessions (
maybe even more than P5
) but the way they presented that milieu was weird.

In early concepts, Hifumi was going to be one of the Phantom Thieves, but they decided against that because the game was already too lengthy at that point.

Considering Makoto and Morgana, I wonder what her role would have been as a strategist...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I used Hero/Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto for almost the entire game and almost never had any real problems. Makoto can heal when needed, even if not as well as Morgana, and the physical attacks seem to be as if not more useful than elemental attacks unless going for weaknesses, which Ryuji/Yusuke can do anyway.

This has basically been my team. I usually swap yusuke out for ann when I do a boss since her attack decrease is amazing though. MC can basically fill in whatever which also covers healing with makoto, Morgana is only really here to heal post fight.

Okay response in spoilers up to third palace:
First of all Ann was also caught out in the recording so I don't know why you're placing sole blame on Ryuji. The MC is the only one who shuts the fuck up in the game.

Second, you have to ignore a lot of stupid shit from your other party members to believe that he's the only asshole around. A big one being fucking Makoto going to a Mafia boss to fucking threaten them, I mean what is that shit. We could have gotten murdered or worse...

He's been way more helpful to team by making the calling card in the first place from magazine scraps and also the only one they wouldn't suspect. Ryuji stands up for you when you get caught by shadow Kamoshida too.

Disclaimer: Only on the third palace but you all seem way too hard on him.

I'm at the same place in the game that you are, but I fucking can't stand Ryuji.
Yeah, Ann got caught in the recording, too, but she actually took responsibility and apologized for it. Makoto apologized for her fuck-ups, too.
Ryuji is consistently, without fail, the only motherfucker on the team who refuses to actually own up to the dumb shit he does, and it makes him feel like a very one-dimensional character. The only side he seems to have to him is "loud jackass." Like, that's it, that's the only weapon in his arsenal. Everything's always cranked up to 11 for him, and he can't even sit and listen to someone else talk without getting mad about something.

It's also super infuriating how it seems like he cares way more about getting famous than he cares about actually helping people. The others understand that widespread acknowledgement of the Phantom Thieves is a good thing because it helps people speak out, but Ryuji's like "WE'RE NEVER GOING TO BE FAMOUS AT THIS RATE" and it's like... man, this is so not the point, shut the hell up.

He's just so self-centered and has absolutely no chill button, and it's incredibly obnoxious. I said this earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again: Ryuji is everything I fucking hate about teenagers, both real and fictional.

edit: forgot spoil tags, though it's nothing crazy and only for up til the third palace.

Logash

In early concepts, Hifumi was going to be one of the Phantom Thieves, but they decided against that because the game was already too lengthy at that point.

Considering Makoto and Morgana, I wonder what her role would have been as a strategist...

That's really interesting. I loved Hifumi as a character and it was actually the first s.link I maxed out (her rewards are legit).

vareon

Should I engage in Social Link even if MC said they're not getting closer in relationship yet? Are all the Up!! events based on time/game progress?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Considering the abilities she gives you it's not too crazy if she's the navigator type character.

I know people like to pick on Ryuji for being too loud but he still didn't do anything near as stupid as (3rd palace spoilers)
blackmailing high school students to deal with the mafia and then have herself barge right into their boss's door.

FluxWaveZ

That's really interesting. I loved Hifumi as a character and it was actually the first s.link I maxed out (her rewards are legit).

A couple more scrapped concepts: http://personacentral.com/persona-5-hifumi-togo-main-character-other-concepts/

The protagonist was originally going to be living in the same apartment building as Sae Niijima. Early test footage of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2gtdH7pL50

Arsene was originally going to be Mephistopheles.

Considering the abilities she gives you it's not too crazy if she's the navigator type character.

From the sounds of it,
Futaba
had already been planned at that point. Hifumi would have literally been one more character to the current team, so I don't know if that's what it would be.

I'm at the same place in the game that you are, but I fucking can't stand Ryuji.
Yeah, Ann got caught in the recording, too, but she actually took responsibility and apologized for it. Makoto apologized for her fuck-ups, too.
Ryuji is consistently, without fail, the only motherfucker on the team who refuses to actually own up to the dumb shit he does, and it makes him feel like a very one-dimensional character. The only side he seems to have to him is "loud jackass." Like, that's it, that's the only weapon in his arsenal. Everything's always cranked up to 11 for him, and he can't even sit and listen to someone else talk without getting mad about something.

It's also super infuriating how it seems like he cares way more about getting famous than he cares about actually helping people. The others understand that widespread acknowledgement of the Phantom Thieves is a good thing because it helps people speak out, but Ryuji's like "WE'RE NEVER GOING TO BE FAMOUS AT THIS RATE" and it's like... man, this is so not the point, shut the hell up.

He's just so self-centered and has absolutely no chill button, and it's incredibly obnoxious. I said this earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again: Ryuji is everything I fucking hate about teenagers, both real and fictional.

edit: forgot spoil tags, though it's nothing crazy and only for up til the third palace.

Your post actually made me chuckle. I agree with everything you said, especially the last part about everything you dislike about teenagers, both real and fictional.

Again, if in real life I had to choose a team with these people, I would keep Ryuji out of it. More liability than asset on the team. Need a physical beast? I'll take care of it myself.

Also, Ryuji gets worse before he gets better.

mrmickfran

I know people like to pick on Ryuji for being too loud but he still didn't do anything near as stupid as (3rd palace spoilers)
blackmailing high school students to deal with the mafia and then have herself barge right into their boss's door.
And she's supposed to be the top of her class.

Fml I hit load instead of save and lost a week's ingame time.

I recommend saving in every slot and just moving down and cycling back down from the top whenever you hit the bottom. That way you always have 20 (or whatever) past saves accessible in case you totally fuck yourself on time or choices or something and there's no way you're losing your data somehow (especially if you back up in the Network Save slot every once and a while as well). This is the reason I felt bad for Mike Fahey (with his son deleting his save file) but also can't fully sympathize.

Am I the only one who cycles save slots like this on any game with choice and consequence that's not driven by autosave?

Damn. :/

I'm using all 16 of my saves and just cycling through them for each day.

So I'm not alone!

Chaos17

I see why people hate Ryuji, but I don't really mind him. I've just unlocked the 4th palace, which means I'm at the end of July. And while he's certainly a flawed character, he is the one that has suffered the most so far besides the MC.

His father left him and his mother while he was young. And, as sad as it may sound, it probably was for the better. He never had a good father figure to look at, and his mother must have been pretty damn busy.

And he is dumb. In a society that seems to put a big weight in marks and going to a good university as the japanese one, being dumb doesn't seem to be that great. The only way he has to go to university and pursue a life that would make his mother proud is getting a sport scholarship.

And we all know how that went.

So, you know? Who cares if he is annoying. He's endured some shit. He has the right to be salty. And he isn't telling me to go to bed at 7pm. You haters are all terrible bros to him.

Great dude, thanks for the whole spoiler, thankfully I played enough to know what you just wrote. But man I pity the newbies and see your spoiler.

Also did you just dumped Yusuke right into the trash bin ?
Because for me the one who is the most miserable is of all the group is Yusuke. That guy is an orphan who got recruited by the murder of his mother. Then you come one day kick the ass of the only person who raised him+provide him shelter. Result ?
Yusuke is homeless, he has to sleep in the dorm and only rely on scholarship to survive. He often doesn't have money but he didn't became salty he instead endured it nver blamed you to be 100% alone in his life.

So seriously, no need to try find some excuse because each character has gone through shit but Ryugi is not close to what Yusuke and Futaba has gone through at all. Yet both of them are threated by the group as weirdos.

I mean do you even relazed that we literraly
destroyed
Haru and Yusuke life ?...

Thanks for all the info, FluxWaveZ, it's really interesting.
I'm not surprised Hifumi was supposed to be part of the Phantom Thieves. She certainly could have been a navigator but I could also have seen her as a Mitsuru analog, fighting with swords and rapiers.

Antiwhippy

From the sounds of it,
Futaba
had already been planned at that point. Hifumi would have literally been one more character to the current team, so I don't know if that's what it would be.

I always thought it would be cool at some point if we get a choice of navigators in these games so that we can choose what kind of perks we want.

This idea might have also appeared after having to endure Fuuka as the main navigator.

Weebos

Banned
Damn, Last Surprise is so good. Been listening to it all day at work waiting to play again.

I always thought it would be cool at some point if we get a choice of navigators in these games so that we can choose what kind of perks we want.

This idea might have also appeared after having to endure Fuuka as the main navigator.

Yeah, you could do that in Persona Q, would be neat in a mainline game, especially if you could bench Morgana/Teddie and get navigator benefits instead.

Opa-Pa

Only reason I got Ryuji out of the team early on is that Yusuke is my favorite character and I prefer to have an extra sukukaja user than a tarukaja one (at this point I have both matarukaja and masukukaja but hey). Love the dude despite some of the usual "Persona bro cringe".

Lusankya

Should I engage in Social Link even if MC said they're not getting closer in relationship yet? Are all the Up!! events based on time/game progress?

Yes, you need to hang out with them to get enough relationship points for a rank up.
Although later in the game you can get a Confidant ability that lets you generate (once per day) relationship points towards a specific S-Link for money.

Flandy

Should I level up the Sun/politician confidant link past level 2? I've been told I shouldn't because you can get a lot of money from the level 2 perk

Opa-Pa

Should I level up the Sun/politician confidant link past level 2? I've been told I shouldn't because you can get a lot of money from the level 2 perk

Not only is his arc very good, but you get even better perks yet. One nets you even /more/ money.

Antiwhippy

You can still get it even if you max out.

Also play confidants for the story, not the perks. Especially with 5. The confidants in 5 generally blow 4's social links out of the water.

gun_haver

You can still get it even if you max out.

Also play confidants for the story, not the perks. Especially with 5. The confidants in 5 generally blow 4's social links out of the water.

Story hasn't really been a strong point of them so far, to me. They feel pretty uneventful and too light hearted compared to P4. There's plenty of time for that to change, though.

Yusuke has an attack which gets powered up from Baton Pass.

It's so good that if you're against a single target and are just wanting the damage, it's honestly better doing a Baton Pass to Yusuke than it is to do an all out attack for damage. Assuming the boss/enemy isn't resistant to physical, of course.
I don't think I can baton pass with Yusuke but I'll try it out later. I'm going to do some real life social links​ through sushi :D
HOW DARE YOUUUUU
Makoto is the best though :p

PInk Tape

Banned

What Lusankya said and (if you can) obtain or fuse a Persona that matches said person's arcana cuz it will net you more points. For example, if you're hanging out with the Lovers social link confidant you should have a persona who's from the Lovers arcana on you.

By my calculations I'll end the game with every Confidant maxed except for Hierophant, Devil, Tower, Hanged Man, and Hermit. And there's a chance I could have maxed or gotten close with Devil and Hermit but I spent much of that time getting all my stats to five.

Must better than expected!

Chaos17

Damn, I don't have enough time in this game, I should've focused on the stats during summer. Now, I'm torn between Sojiro, Futaba and Makoto. Sojiro and Mokoto ask for lvl 5 in a stat >_<

I'm go after Sojiro because his back story is tied to Futaba! It's okay if I stay single during this playthrough, lol

The hate for the fifth palace is ridiculously overblown.
It's a repetition of chapter 3 if you exclude Morgana event. I expected game to continue like chapter 4 mix of personal+main story (by main story I mean some devleppement and not just some hint)

Ydelnae

Late August spoilers

Goro comes to the LeBlanc and complains that everyone treats him poorly. I pick the dialogue choice equivalent to "maybe that's because you are an annoying piece of shit"

"Well my mother died and my father didn't want me and my life has been shit since I was born and no foster family has endured more than 2 weeks with me" Talk about having you feel bad for a fictional character lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just had the
pot dinner with the gang in my room and yusuke moved in
, how far into the game am I give or take?

Opa-Pa

Uh huh, I have the 5th palace next. Is its gimmick annoying or is it the enemies? People complained about Anubis but those were really easy to handle lol.

Uh huh, I have the 5th palace next. Is its gimmick annoying or is it the enemies? People complained about Anubis but those were really easy to handle lol.
Minor spoilers? Just to be safe lol
First section with ID cards gimmick can be annoying, but you could blow through it easy. The rest of the dungeon is fun though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom