• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah definitely. She's easily the weakest party member. She sucks at combat, is a boring NPC and her arc/palace was easily the worst one in the game imo. Which is disappointing because I remember her introduction trailer being hyped as fuck.
Whoa now. Her gun skills are incredible, not to mention a Psy abuser. She's been one of the best ones so far for me.

Rodin

By cheese it do you mean use the built in stealth mechanics? The Anubis aren't a big deal at all, they just don't have weaknesses. They're super susceptible to sleep / forget / every other status ailment.

That chest had like, a Life Balm in it, btw. You didn't miss anything.
Not really in my experience, i tried to use all those against them during the palace exploration and it never worked, unlike the Oni which were very easy because of this (also they didn't spam >100 damage aoe). Only got lucky sometimes in bringing them down with a critical. The main issue is that there were two of them at a time spamming their AOEs in most of the fights in this area, which was annoying as fuck. It's hilarious to me how much easier the boss fight was, i also never had problems with enemies/bosses before that part.

By cheese it i mean i snuck past them with the right timing instead of fighting them or going for the chest.
Good to know that it didn't have anything major in it though, thanks.
I wonder if people know there's other infiltration tools besides lockpicks. Haven't seen anyone mention them. Smokescreens are good to use there.
The lack of places to hide gets worse in later palaces too, good to have some for those as well.
You should be able to make infiltration tools the night before going back in.
Yeah forgot about those, gonna stack up on them.

Feels to me like the latter half of the dungeons so far are all reaching "slog" territory.

I disagree. I actually like how long the latter dungeons are. I think the problem people are having is that the dungeons in this game are meant to be done over the course of several days, which would help with their pacing. but most people are trying to do them in 1/as few days as possible and in order to maximize their social links. Which is a big reason why they feel so long. So I don't really think you can blame the game for pacing issues when it's the player that is causing them.

Whoa now. Her gun skills are incredible, not to mention a Psy abuser. She's been one of the best ones so far for me.

idk man. I barley use guns except to exploit weaknesses. Maybe I shouldn't say suck, but I just feel that there's way better alternatives that you can use instead of her, like Yusuke or Makoto, plus you get
Akechi
the GOAT, soon after so that made her pretty redundant in my eyes.

Curufinwe

Is Morgana going to tell me to ask Iwai about the
gun in the bag
every time I go there now?

I won't have the guts to do that for ages.

Haru is just an odd duck of a character anyways. Like she wasn't really fully developed or thought out.

The game that introduces all characters the best is actually Persona 3: Shinjiro, who joins the group at the end is introduced before fighting the second boss and he gets some development before even joining the group, while Naoto and Haru's development suffers because they join the group at the end, despite both appearing early too.

Venfayth

Yeah definitely. She's easily the weakest party member. She sucks at combat, is a boring NPC and her arc/palace was easily the worst one in the game imo. Which is disappointing because I remember her introduction trailer being hyped as fuck.

Completely disagree. She's definitely changed from those early intros, but I think her character is great and she's super useful in dungeons.

Stack those gun boosts and
One-Shot Kill
your way to victory.

So Haru is lame? She's the only character I haven't been looking forward to meeting since her reveal in trailers.

Confirmed not lame.

Corpekata

Banned
I disagree. I actually like how long the latter dungeons are. I think the problem people are having is that the dungeons in this game are meant to be done over the course of several days, which would help with their pacing. but most people are trying to do them in 1/as few days as possible and in order to maximize their social links. Which is a big reason why they feel so long. So I don't really think you can blame the game for pacing issues when it's the player that is causing them.

Err, the player is causing them by attempting to work with the other game mechanics. This is especially true with a series known for True Endings that often require a lot of either planning or luck if you're not going in with a guide. So yes, the game can be blamed for this sort of behavior, it flat out encourages it.

That being said I do split them up between days myself and they still feel like they are dragging now.

ramyeon

Err, the player is causing them by attempting to work with the other game mechanics. This is especially true with a series known for True Endings that often require a lot of either planning or luck if you're not going in with a guide. So yes, the game can be blamed for this sort of behavior, it flat out encourages it.

That being said I do split them up between days myself and they still feel like they are dragging now.
Huh? None of the true endings in this series really require a guide, planning or luck.

So Haru is lame? She's the only character I haven't been looking forward to meeting since her reveal in trailers.
She could've used more fleshing out, since most of the time she's just...there. But honestly I still liked her. But idk, Naoto was my favourite in P4 too lol, although Naoto had more impact on the team dynamic. Terms of combat she's my favourite alongside Yusuke.

Honestly the character I was disappointed in was Makoto, but I get that I'm alone. The characters that I never expected to end up really liking were Yusuke and Futaba.

Not really. Also the game definitly doesn't encourage you to try to do everything in one play through. If anything it's the opposite. The fact that most things carry over in NG+ and the fact that it's so difficult to max out everything without a guide is proof of the that. The devs definitely didn't intend for people to see everything in one play through and that's completely fine. It's part of the experience.

silva1991

...wait what

...what the fuckkkkkkkkk

It's ok. I just found out about this.....on NG+ :(

i_hug_that_feel.png

ramyeon

Man, the map showing S Links available and whether they can rank up or not is one of the best QoL features added in 5, feel sorry for you guys who have been playing without it :p

...wait what

...what the fuckkkkkkkkk

lololol.

I figured this out on accident. Luckily I found it pretty early on. I really wish the game made the fact that you could do this more clear. It's especially frustrating because S-links that you can level up won't always text you. So if you don't use this feature you may not even know that there's one you can level up, unless you physically check.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do they ever straight up tell you about that feature?

I knew it exists but I can't remember the game telling me about it.

Just started playing

Story question:
Is there some kind of stigma in Japan or something? Why is the main character treated like a hopeless criminal when he did a good thing/acted as a good samaritan?

Unless there's more to what happened, then nevermind

cheesekao

Just started playing

Story question:
Is there some kind of stigma in Japan or something? Why is the main character treated like a hopeless criminal when he did a good thing/acted as a good samaritan?

All I can say is play the game.

LotusHD

Banned
Just started playing

Story question:

Keep playing.

Xeteh

Just started playing

Story question:

Give it some time.

Corpekata

Banned
Just started playing

Story question:

It's clarified later.

FluxWaveZ

Just started playing

Story question:

There is more to what happened. And I'm pretty sure having a criminal record in Japan has a huge stigma compared to in North America, from the little I know. Ties into the whole 99% conviction rate and everything.

Edit: Holy crap.

Just started playing

Story question:

There is more to what happened, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut they kinda allude to it in the scene itself. To sum up, unspoilery, the guy says the police are his bitch. It's kinda implied he has them in his pocket and can control the story of what happened.

Edit: Jesus!

There's more to it.

All I can say is play the game.

Keep playing.

Give it some time.

It's clarified later.

There is more to what happened. And I'm pretty sure having a criminal record in Japan has a huge stigma compared to in North America, from the little I know. Ties into the whole 99% conviction rate and everything.

Edit: Holy crap.

There is more to what happened, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut they kinda allude to it in the scene itself. To sum up, unspoilery, the guy says the police are his bitch. It's kinda implied he has them in his pocket and can control the story of what happened.

Edit: Jesus!

lolololol

Huh? None of the true endings in this series really require a guide, planning or luck.

P4 needs it because the story is bad: You needed to know who was the culprit in advance to unlock the last dungeon. If the story were good, you'd eventually discover who was the culprit, but there were no clues at all so you just had to know, otherwise you wouldn't get the true ending. And then, you had an extra dungeon that required that you took some steps in order to fight the entity behind it all.

ChrisD

Does Yusuke have any pre-requisites to starting his S.Link? I've spent a day with him, but nothing happened. Though this may have been before "his" Palace's story arc had played out. Have avoided spending any more days with him while waiting on some story event or something that starts his Link, though that doesn't seem to be happening.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
ITT: Real life approximation of the group chat in the game

PK Gaming

Does Yusuke have any pre-requisites to starting his S.Link? I've spent a day with him, but nothing happened. Though this may have been before "his" Palace's story arc had played out. Have avoided spending any more days with him while waiting on some story event or something that starts his Link, though that doesn't seem to be happening.

None that I can think of

Just keep hanging out with him until his confidant initiates

ITT: Real life approximation of the group chat in the game

LOL

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just started playing

Story question:

as someone who had the same problem with it, there's more to it.

edit: im slower than kindness rank ups

Corpekata

Banned

It just takes weirdly long to start up.

You were the one who wrote a few pages earlier something like (spoilers from the first month in the game)
"He didn't get rapped like Shiho, so he's fine".

That's why I felt the need to say that Ryuji as a character is not well understood. And you're not the only one who dislikes him for being like he is.

LMAO holy shit talk about misunderstanding things. That's not even remotely what I said. I said that there is a vast chasm of discrepancy between what Shiho went through vs what Ryuji did. That doesn't automatically make what Ryuji went through "fine" what the heck.

And it's not like I dislike him because he wasn't abused enough, if that's what you're implying. That's ridiculous. I dislike him because I think he's fucking annoying. I think he has a shitty attitude and he reacts to situations poorly, which are two things that have literally nothing to do with his backstory or the cultural context in which he exists. You can be dealt a crappy hand in life and go through some shit and not turn out to be a total asshole.

ShadyK54

So I'm trying out the remote play on my Vita. Man, after about 200 hours of P4G on the system, I would happily buy a Vita version of P5 in a heartbeat.

Also, 6/19 spoilers:

Man, Sae ripping into Makoto... Uncalled for lashing out towards best waifu. :/

Thud

She could've used more fleshing out, since most of the time she's just...there. But honestly I still liked her. But idk, Naoto was my favourite in P4 too lol, although Naoto had more impact on the team dynamic. Terms of combat she's my favourite alongside Yusuke.

Honestly the character I was disappointed in was Makoto, but I get that I'm alone. The characters that I never expected to end up really liking were Yusuke and Futaba.

Yusuke and Haru are great yeah. Makoto/Morgana for some healing.

ramyeon

P4 needs it because the story is bad: You needed to know who was the culprit in advance to unlock the last dungeon. If the story were good, you'd eventually discover who was the culprit, but there were no clues at all so you just had to know, otherwise you wouldn't get the true ending. And then, you had an extra dungeon that required that you took some steps in order to fight the entity behind it all.
The poster was talking about the game forcing players to try and complete Palaces within 1 day as if maxing social links was important to getting a true ending. This isn't the case, never has been. They've always hinged on your answers in a dialogue prompt. They don't really require any planning beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom