• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many people will have caught onto that. Maybe my love of Ace Attorney and Danganronpa trained me to catch onto details like that real quick.
I noticed it right away and had to double check the log just to confirm it.
At the time I was surprised no one in the group brought it up but damn did it come back in a big way.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This calling card bs........

So I get to the treasure area with zero SP left, figure it's the boss area so I come back to reality for a day.

Come back to the castle and the moment I return they tell me I have to leave and come back tomorrow? That is super fucking awkward.

calling card tutorial specifically said you need 2 days because you will go on the day AFTER the card to be fair dude :/

FluxWaveZ

At the time I was surprised no one in the group brought it up but damn did it come back in a big way.

Same experience.
I had to double check through the log to make sure what I had just heard was correct. And then I was subsequently annoyed the P5 cast were being typically dumb for the sake of the plot and missing something obvious, as if they were the Investigation Team or something.

Instead, the game sure showed me. One of the coolest twists I've seen in a while.

mike6467

Anyone have any tips for finding (items related to Velvet Room ability you gain early August)
Black Rocks and those Black Kogatanas
? I found one of the
swords
at the used item shop, but have yet to see these anywhere else. Are they farmable at any point, or is there a finite amount you have access to?

Try to get a Laptop after palace 4.

Thanks!

Xeteh

That's how it was for me except I forgot that the log was a thing. I legit could not remember if anyone else said it.

YaBish

I swear I think I fucked that up. She was the first female S-link I maxed out so I wasn't sure what the process was. I think I made the right choice but i don't remember :/
Did she (Tae romance spoilers)
Come to the cafe and call you out (in a good way) for working with the phantom thieves?

I thought that was really clever and just made me like the character more. Especially so when she essentially offered me boner pills and asked to come upstairs lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Let's be real: The MC is a stingy Scrooge. You gain all this hundreds of thousands of yen in dungeons, and you get to hold all the dough to spend however.

Meanwhile, poor bro Yosuke is crying to me about how he can't afford food or train fair. Come on... I'd never leave a brother hanging like that.

Dude
he bought like 2 lobsters with no intention of eating them.

I ain't giving money to someone who's dumb about money.

kadotsu

Banned
Anyone have any tips for finding
Black Rocks and those Black Kogatanas
? I found one of the swords at the used item shop, but have yet to see these anywhere else. Are they farmable at any point, or is there a finite amount you have access to?

Try to get a Laptop after palace 4.

robotuw

So I get to the treasure area with zero SP left, figure it's the boss area so I come back to reality for a day.

Come back to the castle and the moment I return they tell me I have to leave and come back tomorrow? That is super fucking awkward.

Same thing happened to me in the first palace. Once you know how it works it's not an issue though.

Now you know- it will be the same going forward.

Also, the game is generally really good about warning you before bosses and min-bosses. You usually get a specific prompt asking you if you want to continue. No prompt means you are likely safe.

7/18:

Man, I love these random animated cutscenes. So good. Ann and Ryuji banter remains to be top tier as always.

I honestly prefer the in-engine scenees. The only animation I have liked in the series was P3's but that was because it was kind of stylish and striking. The animation in P4 and P5 just seems very conventional and bland.

I have seriously died on this random encounter in the third dungeon with a horse dude and two nekomata like four times.

Third dungeon to me was like cold water in the face. Barely made any progress on my first attempt before I had to retreat and come up with a new strategy.

Opa-Pa

Yeah definitely, she's only rank 4 for now but so far the stuff she's given me feels like fair mechanics that would otherwise be tied to story progression.

Sounds like the stuff they added to Rise in P4G, broke the balance of that game.

I thought the same thing... As if having to see Rise during AOAs wasn't bad enough, it broke the dungeon crawling completely.

I really don't get how the Luck Reading unlock for the first level of Fortune is supposed to work. Every single time I activate it,
I get the normal amount of music notes for whatever activity I did.
Where's the benefit? What am I missing? Is it semi-random? Should I save scum?

FluxWaveZ

Star confidant is honestly way more interesting as far as navigator abilities go if they didn't scrap the idea of making her a party member.

Oh right, I hadn't even thought of that. Restricting stuff like hot swapping party members to when she's your navigator? Well, maybe not that specific ability, but I could see it for some of what Hifumi contributes.

I really don't get how the Luck Reading unlock for the first level of Fortune is supposed to work. Every single time I activate it,
I get the normal amount of music notes for whatever activity I did.
Where's the benefit? What am I missing? Is it semi-random? Should I save scum?

You're probably not calculating it correctly. It adds 1 note to whatever you do. If you would earn 2 normally, you'll earn 3. If you would earn 3, you'll still earn 3.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
are there any super obscure confidants to get? like easily missable?

I already have the
politician guy

Star confidant is honestly way more interesting as far as navigator abilities go if they didn't scrap the idea of making her a party member.

The fact that they say they cut her because the main scenario was already too long breaks my heart.

I would have definitely taken another 20 hours with a an additional party member.

PERSONA GAMES ARE TOO SHORT.

Squishy3

Sounds like the stuff they added to Rise in P4G, broke the balance of that game.
It's nowhere near that common or overpowered. Healing is like 120 HP, and buffs are chosen at random (It can be attack, defense, accuracy or Thermopylae which is all three at once.)

Later in the social link it recovers SP too but it's only 26 SP per recover. It's hardly overpowered and hasn't enabled me to actually win any fights based on it alone, and I'm at the end of the game now. You can't rely on it at all, it's completely random and more often than not occurs right at the end of a battle, leaving it to have no effect on the battle itself. Relying on party members casting buffs is way more consistent.

ramyeon

It's nowhere near that common or overpowered. Healing is like 120 HP, and buffs are chosen at random (It can be attack, defense, accuracy or Thermopylae which is all three at once.)

Later in the social link it recovers SP too but it's only 26 SP per recover. It's hardly overpowered and hasn't enabled me to actually win any fights based on it alone, and I'm at the end of the game now. You can't rely on it at all, it's completely random and more often than not occurs right at the end of a battle, leaving it to have no effect on the battle itself. Relying on party members casting buffs is way more consistent.
Good to hear, the Rise stuff in P4G happened way too often. Just one of many mechanics and changes they added that made the game way too easy.

Jiraiza

I love how the party is incredibly incompetent in some area until a potential new character comes in to fill in the spot with their expertise.

7/20:

Everyone getting confused about hacking and all that stuff is pretty entertaining.

mileS

Just finishing the first palace now. Trying to prepare for my downtime afterwards. When can I get a Death type persona? Pretty sure I have everything that can be taken in the first palace, also been playing around with fusion but I can't see any there from the results. How do people get Tae's rank up early on if you can't have a matching persona to make it go faster?

ramyeon

Just finishing the first palace now. Trying to prepare for my downtime afterwards. When can I get a Death type persona? Pretty sure I have everything that can be taken in the first palace, also been playing around with fusion but I can't see any there from the results. How do people get Tae's rank up early on if you can't have a matching persona to make it go faster?
Mandrake in the first palace is Death Arcana. The weird looking plant person.

Jiraiza

7/21:

I guess staying on media blackout helped, because I wasn't expecting
Futaba to be related to Sojiro
if the story's heading in that direction. Then again, I already saw this in the other thread.

zulux21

How strong do I need to be to kill
the reaper
?

if it is anything like persona 4... if you are on the safe difficulty... what ever level you are when you first meet it.

I haven't been playing on safe so I don't know if it revives you mid battle and heals up your party to full hp and sp like in persona 4... if so anything is killable in that mode with enough time :3

don't know the actual recommended level though lol.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Holy shiiiit Makoto's rank 9 scene. I wasn't sure who I was gonna pick but that
smack
sealed it. Makoto, you won the MC-bowl.

Zolo

Damn. Running low on sp-restoring items in the third dungeon. I think I can make it to the end, but I don't know if I can beat the inevitable guard/mini-boss with the amount of sp I'll have left.

Perineum

Stenght? isnt that the
warden girls
, thus impossible to miss?

True, but without a guide it can be kind of grindy and expensive to level it through all the fusions you have to do. I'm just now working towards rank 5 which wants 3 separate fusions. Ugh.

That's the legitimately the most hilarious exchange I've seen in the game lmao.
Ryuji going "Dude, that's not quite what we want" was great too.

Sometimes it even works against you, if you're happily chilling with Rakukaja on everyone, but she buffs everyone with something else, causing the boss to Dekaja everything off.

A question to you guys who have also finished the game.
Does anyone else feel mild regret at having watched PV3 and 4? They revealed how Haru joins you, the 4th dungeon boss, some of the more interesting gimmicks like painting travelling in the art museum or the space airlock, and much of the footage was from the anime cutscenes near the end of the game. I felt that slightly reduced the wow factor when I actually got to those points in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom