• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I had level 4 knowledge by that point, and that gave me top 10.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about getting high on the exams earlier in the game. To get the top score it seems to need level 5 anyway. Which you just aren't going to have. The rewards aren't exactly anything to write home about anyway.

You need Max Knowledge for literally the *best* Confidant bonus in the game tho, so might as well work on that.

And then get 360 slammed by charm requirements.

Honestly I pursued raising my Charm exclusively for quite a while simply because Makoto is stat-blocked if you don't do it, lol.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I had level 4 knowledge by that point, and that gave me top 10.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about getting high on the exams earlier in the game. To get the top score it seems to need level 5 anyway. Which you just aren't going to have. The rewards aren't exactly anything to write home about anyway.

ah i just got to
rank 3 to start makoto's s-link, unlikely i'll get 4 with 3 days till exams now,
at least i'll be above average i guess? :p

End game spoiler!

I am amazed you guys can
catch the pancake remark. It totally flied over my head. Akechi reveal caught me off guard completely. I still think this is one of the best set-up ever. During interrogations Sae commented on the police inside info but looking back it's actually Makoto who stole the data. Then the most amazing part is the group actually had this under control from the beginning.
This has to be my favorite set up in the entire franchise. Like the game completely had me fooled even though I knew Akechi was the traitor. I thought the surprise twist would be gone but P5 did it again. The game made me think I had a bad ending!

PixelatedBookake

Hifumi. Her max Confidant allows you to switch in switch out party members any time you wish during battles (unless the one that you want to switch out is affected by status effects)

Pfffft no one else came close, really. Well, maybe Futaba.

So this doesn't become the waifu thread, I will ignore this statement.

cheesekao

No can do, barely talked to Yoshida, only level 7 Ohya
Yoshida is a pretty boring character but his confidant bonuses are really good so you should get to that. From https://rankedboost.com/persona-5/confidant/#Sun

Rank Sun Ability Description
1 – –
2 Negotiation Technique/ During negotiation, you can make an additional demand to the Shadows [This one really good as you can rob their pockets AND perform an All-Out Attack for maximum benefit]
3 Money Collection/ During negotiation, you can demand more money from Shadows
4 – –
5 Impression Manipulation/ During negotiation, it is more likely a Shadow will give up a rare item
6 – –
7 Sympathy Technique/ During negotiation, there is a chance the Shadow will immediately become a Persona if you ask it to
8 – –
9 – –
10 Art of Charisma/ It becomes possible to convince a Shadow that is a higher level than player to become a Persona

AkumaNiko

Hifumi. Her max Confidant allows you to switch in switch out party members any time you wish during battles (unless the one that you want to switch out is affected by status effects)

Pfffft no one else came close, really. Well, maybe Futaba.

winner winner chicken dinner. I swapped best girls as i played more.

It was

Doc > Teacher > Ann

Then

Teacher > Doc > Ann

Then

Makoto > Ohya > Teacher > Doc >>>>>>Ann

Now its

Futaba > Makoto > Ohya > Teacher > Doc >>>>>>Ann

but lets let this be the end so it does not become a waifu thread since im sure theres one already

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So this doesn't become the waifu thread, I will ignore this statement.

Hahaha.

Yoshida is a pretty boring character but his confidant bonuses are really good so you should get to that. From https://rankedboost.com/persona-5/confidant/#Sun

Rank Sun Ability Description
1 – –
2 Negotiation Technique/ During negotiation, you can make an additional demand to the Shadows [This one really good as you can rob their pockets AND perform an All-Out Attack for maximum benefit]
3 Money Collection/ During negotiation, you can demand more money from Shadows
4 – –
5 Impression Manipulation/ During negotiation, it is more likely a Shadow will give up a rare item
6 – –
7 Sympathy Technique/ During negotiation, there is a chance the Shadow will immediately become a Persona if you ask it to
8 – –
9 – –
10 Art of Charisma/ It becomes possible to convince a Shadow that is a higher level than player to become a Persona

Woah, I have been ignoring him but that level 10 bonus is quite someting O_O

7/24:

Ahaha, Makoto's such a scaredy cat. Gets all clingy, too. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Amazing.

It really feels like, to me, the game is pushing her to become the "canon" GF for the MC. I don't know, sometimes I just feel that way.

ShadyK54

Between second and third dungeon:
When Akechi overheard the conversation about going to the theme park and chimed in, he said he liked the sound of pancakes... Morgana was the only one that said anything about pancakes... This dude can hear Morgana. I wonder if anyone else picked up on that.

In the third dungeon right now. I caught this just as the scene was wrapping up. I'm on high alert with the character because of Adachi from P4 (hell, the names are almost similar lol). Excited to see if/when this unfolds in the story.

How do I unlock Hifumi's social link? I saw the game drop me hints that shes available to unlock but I can't seem to find her. I tried checking the
Church
but she's not there. Maybe a different location?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Compendium, social stats, equipment and money. Characters that you maxed out social links with give you an item to give you some (most) bonuses with before you reach those ranks in NG+.

When you say equipment, does it mean only the equipment that are equipped by the characters or *all* equipment in the inventory?

Also, what about the equipment worn by people not in your main party or those equipped by characters that join you late game? Like say, if I equipped Haru with a weapon, will that weapon will still be there by the time I recruited her on NG+?

Xeteh

Man, Futaba's VA puts in some motherfucking work

She's awesome. I can't stress that I think the writing and acting around Futaba makes her one of the best in the series imo.

How do I unlock Hifumi's social link? I saw the game drop me hints that shes available to unlock but I can't seem to find her. I tried checking the
Church
but she's not there. Maybe a different location?

Nah, she should be there. I maxed her out in my playthrough and she was there every single time. Even the first time you go there to initiate it.

When you say equipment, does it mean only the equipment that are equipped by the characters or *all* equipment in the inventory?

Also, what about the equipment worn by people not in your main party? Like say, if I equipped Haru with a weapon, will that weapon will still be there by the time I recruited her on NG+?

Yeah, anything worn by someone when you ended the game will be in your inventory on NG+.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Compendium, social stats, equipment and money. Characters that you maxed out social links with give you an item to give you some (most) bonuses with before you reach those ranks in NG+.

is it harder or it just scales whatever your level is?

Xeteh

is it harder or it just scales whatever your level is?

You get to select your difficulty again, it doesn't scale at all. Your character even starts at level 1 again but there is no level requirement for pulling personas out of the compendium.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, anything worn by someone when you ended the game will be in your inventory on NG+.

Nice.

And yeah, the VA work in this game is incredible. I don't know if I ever switch to Japanese VA, the dub work is amazing and I am already used to the voices already.

Morgana's and Futaba's VA especially, incredible work for those two.

What's the stock situation like in US/UK?

Just about everyone is sold out in Australia, had to go digital in the end. Just waiting for new shipments to arrive.

What happens if I use the video game techniques I learned from the book from the Shinjuku bookstore? Does it screw me out of stat gain somehow? Because why would Morgana ask if I want to use the technique or not when playing a game at home? I'm actually suspending my PS4 until someone answers this question, I already feel under the gun with stats and I don't want to screw myself anymore than I already have.

EDIT: Screw it, I just used the technique. As far as I can tell, all it does is allow you to recover if you get the minigame wrong, which I guess means it guarantees that you'll beat that portion of the game? Since I've gotten the minigame right both times I've tried, I don't actually know if this changes anything if you do everything right normally. So I guess I had nothing to worry about?

Got that batting trophy boys!!! LOL I thought this was going to be a hard one since I sucked at the batting cage, but after watching a vid that gave you some tips on how to hit that home run really helped. Had to reload my save three times to finally get it, but I'm proud of myself!
5g2pJuF.jpg

I didn't realize this was difficult. I got it easily in the one and only time I've been to the batting cages. Maybe it's all that Yakuza 5 batting practice.

Xeteh

Do you know if stat bonuses from training carries over?

I don't, sorry. I'd guess yes but I only used training once in my original playthrough when it unlocked. I wouldn't worry too much about it though because with how much free time you end up with having really high social stats you'll be able to train a ton.

I don't know about you guys, but it feels like any time Yusuke says something, I just burst out laughing. Totally not laughing at his misfortune, really.

Yeah, I thought I'd hate Yusuke when he was introduced. He has a ton of growth and he's hilarious. Only problem is I can't stop hearing Matt Mercer so I keep waiting for Yusuke to say "Its high noon" at some point. And yes, I said that so the rest of you get to join in on my misery.

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
english awakening > japanese awakening

haru,ann, and mkoto english VA really nailed it. i watched the jpn version and its nowhere near as intense

especially since most of the personas are based on western figures. hearing milady speaks japanese is just weird

robotrock

Banned
english awakening > japanese awakening

haru,ann, and mkoto english VA really nailed it. i watched the jpn version and its nowhere near as intense

especially since most of the personas are based on western figures. hearing milady speaks japanese is just weird

those awakening scenes are all amazing

This has to be my favorite set up in the entire franchise. Like the game completely had me fooled even though I knew Akechi was the traitor. I thought the surprise twist would be gone but P5 did it again. The game made me think I had a bad ending!

Persona 5 End of November and Persona 4 ENDGAME Spoilers!!
The setup was a little hard to believe for me. Akechi being the traitor was surprisingly obvious and I didn't even catch the pancake thing either, it was honestly rather disappointing to me that it went the way it did because I thought it was just TOO obvious and he was a false flag or something but nope, super easy to tell simply because it HAD to be a Persona user and the only one we don't see awaken is him unless they were going to make it some random person or something.

The way the setup works though just felt all too convenient to me, I mean they explain it well enough but it just seems very forced on you as the player. The whole thing with Adachi in P4 is similar in some ways but you as the player still had to figure it all out for yourself in the end and choose the right answers to come to the conclusion, here its just pretty much spelled out for you, you don't get to come the realization yourself they just flat out tell you Akechi is it.

I think part of the problem is that they had Akechi play too big of a role in the game, he stands out (even being on the freaking cover) where as Adachi plays a big role in P4 and is frequently around but outside of slipping info to the group he just a very minor character and it helps that the game DOES try to lead you onto the wrong person at first. Akechi should have either played a smaller role (hell just being a NORMAL optional s-link would've been really interesting) or been a main party member early on so when its revealed it truly comes at a surprise. Hell I was honestly thinking that if Akechi was really a false flag the traitor was likely Yusuke since HES the one who suggested the exact time to start the mission (the only time they directly talk about what time they are hitting up a Palace) and his aloof personality could have been an act. Akechi could've had a similar role and really been an interesting portrayal if he had been with you longer.

Either way though the single best twist for me was the whole thing with Izanami and the rumble handshake at the very beginning of Persona 4. I love golden but that they didn't decide to replicate that in some way is a hugely missed opportunity. I'm still hoping there is some big revelation post end of the year like P4 maybe with Morgana or Mementos but we will have to see, I JUST had the huge info dump relating to Akechi and the plot which is why its so fresh on my mind right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom