• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

black070

With my limited game time, I just haven't been able to dive in as much as I'd like thanks to work and the family/friends/girlfriend always popping in and out like they're on an episode of Seinfield. I find myself up into the early AM playing (good thing my cat doesn't send me to bed) and running the rest of the day on a few hours sleep, and just constantly thinking about it for the remainder of the day. I'm honestly thinking of picking up a cheap Vita at this point to remote play it at work, or hell, to simply replay Persona 4 in between !

TLDR - My obsession for Persona has rewoken.

It's purely aesthetic and nostalgia driven. You'll get costumes and battle music. Personally I got tired of the default outfits after 25+ hours so I bought the p3 ones to change it up a bit.

But yeah, $7 for outfits is too much :p

Yeah the costumes are nice but a bit too expensive. Battle music is cool though...

RalchAC

With my limited game time, I just haven't been able to dive in as much as I'd like thanks to work and the family/friends/girlfriend always popping in and out like they're on an episode of Seinfield. I find myself up into the early AM playing (good thing my cat doesn't send me to bed) and running the rest of the day on a few hours sleep, and just constantly thinking about it for the remainder of the day. I'm honestly thinking of picking up a cheap Vita at this point to remote play it at work, or hell, to simply replay Persona 4 in between !

TLDR - My obsession for Persona has rewoken.

I know that feeling. I've just accepted that I'm going to sleep 4-5 hours a day until I finish the day. I don't have that much time to play during normal hours.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
9/13:
Morgana attacking Ryuji when Ann, Yusuke, and Futaba were all having second thoughts about stealing Okumura's heart is bullshit. I don't know why people feel sorry for him.

Hence why I now hate Morgana.

Sorry guys but Teddie >>> Morgana

I don't hate him like I did at his introduction (I've grown to enjoy him significantly more since then) but Yusuke's character is notably inconsistent and you can't deny it.

One moment he's the intelligent voice of reason, worldly and wise, with great insight on the human experience. The next he's an oblivious idiot who can't make sense of anything. One minute he's oversexed and thirsty as hell. The next he's asexual and totally ignorant to innuendo and attraction.

And these are not "layers" to the character or "human complications" or anything -- they're contradictions. They're the result of unfocused characterization, which is the writing's biggest drawback. (He's certainly not the only character who suffers from this but is the most noteworthy.)

These dissonant bits are usually in moments played for laughs so I could see how some might forgive them, but they come at the expense of the integrity of the character. The humor should come out of the unique and distinct consistencies of these characters, butting up against each other in scenes... but instead it feels like character is often broken for the sake of a cheap laugh or gag. Idk.

Idk. Idk. This game is astounding. I'm 75 hours in. It is quantifiably better than P4G in nearly every way. And yet the flaws stand out to me way more than they did when I played Golden.

Still trying to unpack that response.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't hate him like I did at his introduction (I've grown to enjoy him significantly more since then) but Yusuke's character is notably inconsistent and you can't deny it.

One moment he's the intelligent voice of reason, worldly and wise, with great insight on the human experience. The next he's an oblivious idiot who can't make sense of anything. One minute he's oversexed and thirsty as hell. The next he's asexual and totally ignorant to innuendo and attraction.

And these are not "layers" to the character or "human complications" or anything -- they're contradictions. They're the result of unfocused characterization, which is the writing's biggest drawback. (He's certainly not the only character who suffers from this but is the most noteworthy.)

These dissonant bits are usually in moments played for laughs so I could see how some might forgive them, but they come at the expense of the integrity of the character. The humor should come out of the unique and distinct consistencies of these characters, butting up against each other in scenes... but instead it feels like character is often broken for the sake of a cheap laugh or gag. Idk.

Idk. Idk. This game is astounding. I'm 75 hours in. It is quantifiably better than P4G in nearly every way. And yet the flaws stand out to me way more than they did when I played Golden.

68 hours in and I don't ever recall Yusuke being "thirsty." Where? He is committed entirely to Art to a fault, and that characterization is consistent throughout, and unlike Ryuji who are adamant in using his membership in the PT as a way to get girls, not a single time throughout the game that Yusuke even suggested such a thing.

I don't also remember the times where the game put him up on the pedestal regarding his understanding of human psyche, he's the oddball one in the group from the very beginning and stay that way throughout.

MTC100

Banned
Huh, by the 5th palace you should have gotten quite a number of not-very-subtle foreshadowing on the villain group.

It's clear the Director is involved and in a high position there, I have entered the 5th palace only once, we don't know by then who the black mask guy is but I guess he was only shown for a very brief moment right at the beginning of the game. And if it's that guy it's the most stereotypical bad guy possible. -It's completely different from the way the bad guy was in P4, where you didn't see it coming.

Sayad

Game over when the hero falls is the stupidest mechanic in an RPG when you can revive dead members, especial in a game where a critical hit could easily off him from full HP.

Apharmd

Deep November spoilers:

oh my god fuck akechi, i seriously did not expect to get into a long-ass boss battle after I got the fifth letter--and then I got into ANOTHER long-ass boss battle where i just didn't restock or have good personas after because i really was not expecting to get down and super dirty before i send the calling card

i guess it's not persona without wasting one and a half hours of my life occasionally

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I don't him ever been oversexed or thirsty. He's not good with social cues at all and is extremely dense with it, and a lot of times it's played for humor, but he's still an intelligent guy otherwise. He can be the voice of reason that way, but specifically with Ann I really didn't get anything underhanded from him, just the same social density.

Now Ann in general is definitely handled oddly since there's a few anime scenes that are pretty blatant about hamming her up, but I think Yusuke has been really good.

kagamin

Game over when the hero falls is the stupidest mechanic in an RPG when you can revive dead members, especial in a game where a critical hit could easily off him from full HP.

It's just a holdover from SMT, where the mechanic makes more sense. :p

Sayad

9/13:
Morgana attacking Ryuji when Ann, Yusuke, and Futaba were all having second thoughts about stealing Okumura's heart is bullshit. I don't know why people feel sorry for him.
Ryuji made a lot of comment about how useless Morgana is throughout the game, since the first dungeon, the tension between the two was clear. Fuck Ryuji.

RalchAC

It's clear the Director is involved and in a high position there, I have entered the 5th palace only once, we don't know by then who the black mask guy is but I guess he was only shown for a very brief moment right at the beginning of the game. And if it's that guy it's the most stereotypical bad guy possible. -It's completely different from the way the bad guy was in P4, where you didn't see it coming.

If I'm able to beat the crap out of the director I'm going to create a save just for doing it lol. I had some problems with my high school director so I wouldn't mind some good old ass kicking.

Any try the Japanese audio? I think I might download it tomorrow but I'm sticking to English on my first play through.

Anyway, my save file has me at just over 2hrs. I finally had a chance to save the game. Really enjoying it though. I just have trouble following the map and finding locations like in the subway. I wish they made it more easier to use.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is the spoiler tags period over? That's me done with the thread if so I guess.

Ponn

Banned
Oh my fucking god this fortune arcana is bullshit! I feel like cutting my loses before I've even gotten the first rank.

Toki767

Ryuji made a lot of comment about how useless Morgana is throughout the game, since the first dungeon, the tension between the two was clear. Fuck Ryuji.

Pretty sure Morgana is the one who starts insulting Ryuji first even when they first met. The cat asked for it.

Dany

Banned
The live-feed of the Phan-site between days reminds me of posting live during a breaking bad episode. :p just people posting "OMG THEY DID IT"... "LOL IT AINT REAL"

Zakalwe

Banned
I didn't see it, but what was spoiled? Like context ie "late game character death" or whatever.

And has it been edited? Scared to scroll back now or stay if it's going to get quoted.

So, can you get in trouble for romancing several people at the same time?
Because I'm already seeing
Ann
and things are about to get weird (
and illegal
) with my favorite
teacher

Dragner

So, can you get in trouble for romancing several people at the same time?
Because I'm already seeing
Ann
and things are about to get weird (
and illegal
) with my favorite
teacher

You can always be friend. Afaik theres no real repercusions for dating multiple people except 1 scene that changes if you are dating 1 or more than 1 person.

You can always be friend. Afaik theres no real repercusions for dating multiple people except 1 scene that changes if you are dating 1 or more than 1 person.

Never! That's not how I play Persona, lol.
Although,
Futaba
might be an exception if there is an option to romance her. She's my favorite character in the game so far but I see her as
family to the MC.

Question about confidants : If I get enough points for the next rank but I have the opportunity to boost the relationship, do these points carry on for the next next rank ?

Salaadin

Why can't people still just spoiler tag spoiler stuff? I thought that was common knowledge.
I feel like this happens in every OT. It's ridiculous.

Anyways, I just bought the soundtrack from cdjapan. Feels like all I do all day is hum this game in my head. It's so catchy.

I feel like this happens in every OT. It's ridiculous.

Anyways, I just bought the soundtrack from cdjapan. Feels like all I do all day is hum this game in my head. It's so catchy.

I had a check on iTunes but they don't carry any Persona soundtracks, so I think I'll just go to cdjapan as well. I think I bought my gravity rush soundtrack from there.

I don't think they have the original Persona soundtrack though :(

Edit: just bought p4g and persona 5 cd, but just then realised my 2015mbp doesn't have a disc drive..
Have to use my desktop then.

MTC100

Banned
Hence why I now hate Morgana.

Sorry guys but Teddie >>> Morgana

Morgana was really annoying in
September
. I get that he's a
shadow
but that's not an excuse to act
like a completely self centered ass
. The whole scene also made me think of Haru as being very dumb as a character, I hope she'll get a bit of character development once I start the confidant link...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom